'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Keys to Winning Tomorrow  (Read 1805 times)

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
Keys to Winning Tomorrow
« on: March 24, 2011, 01:52:10 PM »
- Slow down the game
- Crash the boards
- Play great defense
- Stay out of foul trouble

What else?

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
Re: Keys to Winning Tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 02:02:20 PM »
I don't think the key is slowing down the game as much as it is slowing down THEIR primary and secondary break.  We still want to play aggressive half-court defense and get out running as much as possible.  Given their size advantage, I'd hope that we continue with the full court pressure and get the ball back up-court quickly after a UNC basket.  Zeller and Henson might be great athletes, but I'd like to see how their legs hold up sprinting 94 feet in both directions for an entire game.  And you know that Crowder would love to make Henson run with him.

I assume by "slow down the game," you mean we just need to be careful to limit our turnovers and not take dumb long 3s that result in long rebounds.  I agree with that.  But if we've got a chance at a break, I don't think you pull it back and try to turn this into a half-court game.

JD

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 02:02:29 PM »
Score more points?
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 02:02:39 PM »
- Slow down the game
- Crash the boards
- Play great defense
- Stay out of foul trouble

What else?

- Outscore UNC
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 02:12:14 PM »
I think one other thing that should really be mentioned is playing 40 minutes. Ask Miami, or Clemson, or Virginia, or Virginia Tech, or Washington what happens when you go cold at the end against UNC, or when you let their shooters get open late. UNC has a habit of making other teams feel like we did after the Meltdown.

40 minutes. No less.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 02:21:02 PM »
I think one other thing that should really be mentioned is playing 40 minutes. Ask Miami, or Clemson, or Virginia, or Virginia Tech, or Washington what happens when you go cold at the end against UNC, or when you let their shooters get open late. UNC has a habit of making other teams feel like we did after the Meltdown.

40 minutes. No less.

Agreed, they've won the close games in conference play and the tourney.  While we have a couple wins in close games, we certainly could've used a few more against the best teams in the BE.  Given how tough we play I could easily see this game coming down to the wire.

By "slow the game down" what I meant was to not try to play to their speed.  Yes, if we have an opportunity to score in transition we should take it, but I think if we try to play at their tempo we'll just create a bunch of dumb turnovers.  We need to try to take them out of their element.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 02:23:37 PM »
They average 78 possessions per game, we average 76.    As far as slowing down the game, if we limit their fast break opportunities, we are halfway home.    But we still have to attack hard on the offensive end. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MikeyT42

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 02:27:57 PM »
Aside from slowing their transition game down, and our need to get to the free throw line, I think there is another key point in the game.

I think the biggest part of the game will  be the last 5 minutes of the first half. If we can get Zeller, Henson or Barnes to pick up a 2nd (or 3rd) foul.  Otule will probably be out of the game by that point with 2 fouls. The onus will be on Fulce, Gardner and Williams to be strong on the boards and hold UNC to one shot. If it is a 4 or 6 point game at that point. It is winnable in the 2nd half.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 02:28:34 PM »
They average 78 possessions per game, we average 76.    

Yeah right.  Double check those figures bro.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 02:37:04 PM »
UNC averages 72 possessions, MU averages just over 67

MisterJaylenBrownMU

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 02:45:51 PM »
UNC is also a meager 5-5 when they're held under 70 points.  That includes losses to Minnesota and Vandy on a neutral court (EARLY in the season, but still), a 20 point drubbing at a brutal Georgia Tech team, and a 2 point escape at home to Boston College.

Looks like 70 might be the magic number. 

Stuckin1977

• Starter
    • Stuck in 1977
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »
I remember watching that BC game.  I think the halftime score was something like 22-20.  High-scoring compared to a Big Ten game, but painfully boring to the rest of the college basketball world.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 04:04:38 PM »
I think ball pressure on Marshall is the key.  Jimmy, DJO, Dwight, and Vander should take turns putting pressure on him and keeping 30-35ft from the basket with his back turned.  He will never be able to distribute to their bigs if we take him out of his normal half court rhythm.  Duke did this very effectively in their victories over UNC. 

Also, the 3/4 court zone press on our made baskets will take them a bit out of their rhythm as well.  They like to score in the first 10 seconds of the session.  If it takes them 8 seconds to get it across half court, we've already slowed them down quite a bit.

I agree that we should run like hell on their misses and turnovers.  Also, we may even be able to pressure them on some of their makes like we did against Syracuse.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 04:07:59 PM »
Yeah right.  Double check those figures bro.

I've got to quit quoting Buzz.   Those are the numbers he tossed out on the Scott Van Pelt show. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 04:37:21 PM »
I've got to quit quoting Buzz.   Those are the numbers he tossed out on the Scott Van Pelt show. 

I like Buzz a lot, but that certainly wouldn't be the first time he's gotten numbers wrong.  Real G's with Asperger's are legit rainers.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback