[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Derrick Wilson to Marquette  (Read 60066 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: Derrick Wilson to Marquette
« Reply #150 on: November 12, 2010, 02:49:23 PM »
I noticed your post on the other thread asking Chicos why he hasn't responded here and claiming that IWP "pantsed" him here.  You seem a little obsessed by this topic, and it seems that your issues with Chicos may be coloring your view of things.  I don't think IWB "pantsed" Chicos.  In fact, I'm not sure that what they are saying is all that different.  Chicos said that he thinks Blue made his own decision and it was based on a lot of factors -- that Maymon was not a huge influence on Vander's decision.  IWB said that because of his friendship with Maymon, Vander spent a lot of time around Marquette and became very comfortable with the program.  IWB even specifically says that there were other factors, but that the access he got by being friends with Maymon is what "started it."

Not only did IWB not "pants" Chicos, I'm not really even sure that their positions are inconsistent.

Chicos responded to IWB directly and attempted to show just how illogical his description of the events were...and his rebuttal was blatantly wrong. I'd say that their positions on the topic differ.

As for my so-called obsession, I enjoy it when someone harps on admitting your mistakes and owning up to being wrong, yet runs and hides once he's been proven wrong. I guess you could say I enjoy a good trainwreck.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #151 on: November 12, 2010, 03:07:07 PM »
Chicos responded to IWB directly and attempted to show just how illogical his description of the events were...and his rebuttal was blatantly wrong. I'd say that their positions on the topic differ.

As for my so-called obsession, I enjoy it when someone harps on admitting your mistakes and owning up to being wrong, yet runs and hides once he's been proven wrong. I guess you could say I enjoy a good trainwreck.

I guess if you're focusing solely on how the posts were formatted (i.e.Chicos' post quoted IWB's post), then sure, I guess you could argue that their positions differ.  But if you actually look at what they're saying, they really don't seem to differ much.  I think a pretty quick reading of the posts shows that Chico is taking issue with the statement that Vander came to Marquette because of his friendship with Maymon. He doesn't deny that they were friends and seems to admit that the friendship played a role, but that Vander is a big boy and probably made a decision based on factors other than just following his friend.  IWB said nothing that contradicts that and actually lends support to that theory.  Chicos points about logic failing were premised upon the allegation that Vander is just following his buddy Maymon -- Chicos is arguing that that obviously is not the case -- and he's right.

Let me ask you this:  what mistake has Chicos made in this thread?

If you think that Chicos was "proven wrong" by IWB, we apparently are reading things very differently.  I think that your opinion of Chicos is coloring your interpretation.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
my $.02
« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2010, 03:24:29 PM »
I guess if you're focusing solely on how the posts were formatted (i.e.Chicos' post quoted IWB's post), then sure, I guess you could argue that their positions differ.  But if you actually look at what they're saying, they really don't seem to differ much.  I think a pretty quick reading of the posts shows that Chico is taking issue with the statement that Vander came to Marquette because of his friendship with Maymon. He doesn't deny that they were friends and seems to admit that the friendship played a role, but that Vander is a big boy and probably made a decision based on factors other than just following his friend.  IWB said nothing that contradicts that and actually lends support to that theory.  Chicos points about logic failing were premised upon the allegation that Vander is just following his buddy Maymon -- Chicos is arguing that that obviously is not the case -- and he's right.

Let me ask you this:  what mistake has Chicos made in this thread?

If you think that Chicos was "proven wrong" by IWB, we apparently are reading things very differently.  I think that your opinion of Chicos is coloring your interpretation.

Chicos actually has no idea what happened (as is the case in most topics here), but claims to. It's been a common occurrence lately. Chico's proclaims something, then gets called out when someone who has actual knowledge sets the story straight.

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: my $.02
« Reply #153 on: November 12, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
Chicos actually has no idea what happened (as is the case in most topics here), but claims to. It's been a common occurrence lately. Chico's proclaims something, then gets called out when someone who has actual knowledge sets the story straight.

Focusing on this thread (which MerrittsMustache has been -- even going into other threads and brining it up there), I don't see where his problem with Chicos is or why he is running around claiming IWP "pantsed" Chicos.  Chicos position in this thread seems to be:  like most players, Vander considered a lot of things in choosing a school and wasn't just following Maymon around, even though that was one consideration.  The way I read it, nobody with any actual knowledge of the situation called Chicos out.  IWB's post does not contradict Chicos.  IWB said only that Vander's relationship with Maymon provided him access to the program, and once he spent some time around the program he got comfortable.  That simply is not inconsistent with what Chicos said.

Edited to add:  Your comment "as is the case in most topics here" and MerrittsMustache's comment that Chicos' "harps on admitting your mistakes and owning up to being wrong, yet runs and hides" suggests that I am correct in thinking that it is your feelings about Chicos -- and not what he actually said in this thread -- that is driving this issue.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:34:18 PM by StillAWarrior »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #154 on: November 12, 2010, 03:34:59 PM »
I noticed your post on the other thread asking Chicos why he hasn't responded here and claiming that IWP "pantsed" him here.  You seem a little obsessed by this topic, and it seems that your issues with Chicos may be coloring your view of things.  I don't think IWB "pantsed" Chicos.  In fact, I'm not sure that what they are saying is all that different.  Chicos said that he thinks Blue made his own decision and it was based on a lot of factors -- that Maymon was not a huge influence on Vander's decision.  IWB said that because of his friendship with Maymon, Vander spent a lot of time around Marquette and became very comfortable with the program.  IWB even specifically says that there were other factors, but that the access he got by being friends with Maymon is what "started it."

Not only did IWB not "pants" Chicos, I'm not really even sure that their positions are inconsistent.

Lame defense.  Chicos flat out questioned my comment that stated:  Recruiting Maymon very well helped our chances in landing Vander.....with a snide reply of:

And you know this about Vander and Maymon how, exactly?  Especially when he said it had no impact on his decision to go to MU.

Chicos got owned by IWB and tried to back talk his way out of his initial position on the matter.  Lastly..I think..though I'm not sure..but..think Chicos is MAN enough himself to defend himself..or at least try..but really..if he were a man..he'd just admit he was wrong.  Plain and simple..end of dicsussion..everyone moves on.  But, nive of yo uto come to his rescue..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #155 on: November 12, 2010, 03:41:05 PM »
Focusing on this thread (which MerrittsMustache has been -- even going into other threads and brining it up there), I don't see where his problem with Chicos is or why he is running around claiming IWP "pantsed" Chicos.  Chicos position in this thread seems to be:  like most players, Vander considered a lot of things in choosing a school and wasn't just following Maymon around, even though that was one consideration.  The way I read it, nobody with any actual knowledge of the situation called Chicos out.  IWB's post does not contradict Chicos.  IWB said only that Vander's relationship with Maymon provided him access to the program, and once he spent some time around the program he got comfortable.  That simply is not inconsistent with what Chicos said.

Edited to add:  Your comment "as is the case in most topics here" and MerrittsMustache's comment that Chicos' "harps on admitting your mistakes and owning up to being wrong, yet runs and hides" suggests that I am correct in thinking that it is your feelings about Chicos -- and not what he actually said in this thread -- that is driving this issue.

We must be reading different threads or you simply have a different interpretation of what you read than many of the other posters who have responded.

In reference to the bolded part above: Chicos brought up this topic on another thread. I simply responded to that.

Yes, I'm harping on this topic because Chicos always wants posters to come clean when they're proven wrong, yet he won't do it himself.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #156 on: November 12, 2010, 03:48:52 PM »
Lame defense.  Chicos flat out questioned my comment that stated:  Recruiting Maymon very well helped our chances in landing Vander.....with a snide reply of:

And you know this about Vander and Maymon how, exactly?  Especially when he said it had no impact on his decision to go to MU.

Chicos got owned by IWB and tried to back talk his way out of his initial position on the matter.  Lastly..I think..though I'm not sure..but..think Chicos is MAN enough himself to defend himself..or at least try..but really..if he were a man..he'd just admit he was wrong.  Plain and simple..end of dicsussion..everyone moves on.  But, nive of yo uto come to his rescue..

It's not so much that I'm defending Chicos, but addressing people who are so obsessed with Chicos that they feel a need to chase him into other threads and drag more of this crap up there.  Especially when they're wrong.  Believe it or not, some of us on this board would love a thread that didn't devolve into a pissing match between Chicos on one hand and the half dozen or so of you who constantly feel the need to "call him out" all the time.  Every now and then, I get so sick of it that I can't help commenting.

Say what you want, I don't think IWB's position is really different from Chicos'.  In fact, I interpreted IWB's post as a response to KC2016's question of whether Maymon and Vander were friends, not as a response to Chicos.  Only he can answer that one.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #157 on: November 12, 2010, 03:49:55 PM »
Yes, I'm harping on this topic because Chicos always wants posters to come clean when they're proven wrong, yet he won't do it himself.

At least now you're admitting that this has more to do with Chicos in general than what he said in this thread.  Baby steps...

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #158 on: November 12, 2010, 03:54:24 PM »
It's not so much that I'm defending Chicos, but addressing people who are so obsessed with Chicos that they feel a need to chase him into other threads and drag more of this crap up there.  Especially when they're wrong.  Believe it or not, some of us on this board would love a thread that didn't devolve into a pissing match between Chicos on one hand and the half dozen or so of you who constantly feel the need to "call him out" all the time.  Every now and then, I get so sick of it that I can't help commenting.

Say what you want, I don't think IWB's position is really different from Chicos'.  In fact, I interpreted IWB's post as a response to KC2016's question of whether Maymon and Vander were friends, not as a response to Chicos.  Only he can answer that one.

If you don't like it..then why participate?  And why is Chicos at the center of so many dramas here?  He doesn't bring any of that upon himself, does he??  Of course not.  Let him be his own man..and you can be yours..so..your point that you didn't interpret this thread and Chicos initial statement to mean that JMay had nothing to do with Vander signing at MU..is fine..that said..how you come to that conclusion upon reading the evidence is confusing..if you are looking at it objectively.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Dave Krupinski

• Scholarship Player
    • Johnny Jungle
« Reply #159 on: November 12, 2010, 04:06:49 PM »
For comparisons sake...do you think he will be a better college player than say a Malik boothe?

I think they could be similar which isn't a good thing  ;D

Malik Boothe is a fair comparison but another Big East guy who comes to mind is Tory Jackson. He's kind of a hybrid between the 2. They're solid which Wilson will be.
www.JohnnyJungle.com
6th Man of St. John's Basketball

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #160 on: November 12, 2010, 04:17:27 PM »
If you don't like it..then why participate?  And why is Chicos at the center of so many dramas here?  He doesn't bring any of that upon himself, does he??  Of course not.  Let him be his own man..and you can be yours...

I do like it.  Sometimes it annoys me.

Absolutely Chicos brings it on himself sometimes.  He bugs the crap out of me sometimes and I often think he's wrong, backtracking, etc.  But other times, in my opinion, some of you are simply looking for a reason to pick a fight with him.  You also are at the center of many of these dramas here.  Doesn't that suggest that, like Chicos, you're also part of the issue?  I'm not stopping Chicos from being his own man; he'll comment here if he wants.  Lord knows he typically does.

so..your point that you didn't interpret this thread and Chicos initial statement to mean that JMay had nothing to do with Vander signing at MU..is fine..that said..how you come to that conclusion upon reading the evidence is confusing..if you are looking at it objectively.

Chicos has admitted in this thread that Vander's relationship with JMay was one factor that helped bring him to MU.  I agree with him.  IWB agrees with him.  You agree with him.  Apparently, we all agree with him.  If that's the case, I don't understand why MM feels the need to run around talking about how IWB pantsed Chicos on this thread.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #161 on: November 12, 2010, 04:43:53 PM »
I do like it.  Sometimes it annoys me.

Absolutely Chicos brings it on himself sometimes.  He bugs the crap out of me sometimes and I often think he's wrong, backtracking, etc.  But other times, in my opinion, some of you are simply looking for a reason to pick a fight with him.  You also are at the center of many of these dramas here.  Doesn't that suggest that, like Chicos, you're also part of the issue?  I'm not stopping Chicos from being his own man; he'll comment here if he wants.  Lord knows he typically does.

Chicos has admitted in this thread that Vander's relationship with JMay was one factor that helped bring him to MU.  I agree with him.  IWB agrees with him.  You agree with him.  Apparently, we all agree with him.  If that's the case, I don't understand why MM feels the need to run around talking about how IWB pantsed Chicos on this thread.

I'm at the center of a lot of drama here because I will square off with Chicos and 84 who have their agendas.  Chicos ADMITS ONLY AFTER IWB POSTS that:  sure..JMay probably had something to do with Vander coming here..but initially..he called me out for saying recruiting JMay helped us land Vander buy saying:  You konw this how?  VHe tried to twist Vanders' comment when asked AFTER Maymon transferred..if that was going to change his commitment to MU..to which Vander said NO!  He twisted from there that because Vander saidno at that time after he'd signed his letter of intent..that since he wasn't backing out of his MU commitment..then clearly JMay meant nothing in the recruitment of Vander.  Two totally seperate issues.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #162 on: November 12, 2010, 05:03:31 PM »
I'm at the center of a lot of drama here because I will square off with Chicos and 84 who have their agendas.

Whatever would we do without you?  Just as you mentioned that Chicos is man enough to speak up for himself, I suspect the rest of us here are man (and woman) enough to protect ourselves against Chicos, 84 and others with agendas.  But thanks for coming to our rescue again, and again, and again...

Chicos ADMITS ONLY AFTER IWB POSTS that:  sure..JMay probably had something to do with Vander coming here..

Actually, it looks to me like he admitted it BEFORE IWB posted.  But don't let that fact get in your way of your need to "square off" with Chicos and his agenda.

Don't get me wrong, I know that Chicos is doing it too.  He took your initial post and distorted it and suggested that you were saying JMay was solely responsible for Vander being at MU.  Then you took his posts and are claiming that he's saying that JMay had nothing whatsoever to do with it (granted, his misleading use of the post-transfer quote in his first post on the issue certainly supports your point, but subsequent posts - even before IWB chimed in - show that he admits that the relationship was a factor).  But at the end of the day, we're all agreeing:  the relationship between JMay and Vander had some influence on his decision to come to Marquette.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #163 on: November 12, 2010, 05:25:33 PM »
Whatever would we do without you?  Just as you mentioned that Chicos is man enough to speak up for himself, I suspect the rest of us here are man (and woman) enough to protect ourselves against Chicos, 84 and others with agendas.  But thanks for coming to our rescue again, and again, and again...

Actually, it looks to me like he admitted it BEFORE IWB posted.  But don't let that fact get in your way of your need to "square off" with Chicos and his agenda.

Don't get me wrong, I know that Chicos is doing it too.  He took your initial post and distorted it and suggested that you were saying JMay was solely responsible for Vander being at MU.  Then you took his posts and are claiming that he's saying that JMay had nothing whatsoever to do with it (granted, his misleading use of the post-transfer quote in his first post on the issue certainly supports your point, but subsequent posts - even before IWB chimed in - show that he admits that the relationship was a factor).  But at the end of the day, we're all agreeing:  the relationship between JMay and Vander had some influence on his decision to come to Marquette.

Thank you for summarizing this issue for all of us..though you are in the minority of 2, you are entitled to see it as you want.  Thank you for coming to Chicos defense...it is a humanitarian act, and for that, as an MU alum, you are to be commended.  Cura Personalis.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2010, 10:33:51 AM »

Excuse me?  I clearly said that of course there is some influence but it's WAY WAY down the list.  How exactly was that statement of mine wrong?  Vander Blue DID NOT GO TO MARQUETTE because of Maymon, and that's what the original post was implying.  That is simply wrong on all levels.  I never said they weren't friends, they were.  I never said it didn't have an influence, it most certainly had a small influence.  I said, CLEARLY, that it was not THE REASON and if it was any reason at all, was way way way way down the list.

Please tell me where anything above is incorrect and how that had to be "set straight"?  Thanks

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2010, 10:37:02 AM »

I responded directly to show it wasn't a MAJOR REASON or even a TOP REASON that he chose MU.  If it was, the logic blows up in the face immediately with Maymon leaving and doesn't jive with him verballing to Wisconsin in the first place because Maymon was never going there (grades, jagoff dad, etc). 

You are the one that has the reading comprehension problem Stache.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2010, 10:43:32 AM »
I'm at the center of a lot of drama here because I will square off with Chicos and 84 who have their agendas.  Chicos ADMITS ONLY AFTER IWB POSTS that:  sure..JMay probably had something to do with Vander coming here..but initially..he called me out for saying recruiting JMay helped us land Vander buy saying:  You konw this how?  VHe tried to twist Vanders' comment when asked AFTER Maymon transferred..if that was going to change his commitment to MU..to which Vander said NO!  He twisted from there that because Vander saidno at that time after he'd signed his letter of intent..that since he wasn't backing out of his MU commitment..then clearly JMay meant nothing in the recruitment of Vander.  Two totally seperate issues.

Wrong, I said it BEFORE IWB's response, but never let those facts get in the way Ners.  I NEVER denied they were friends or had an influence, my point was that the influence was nothing you make it out to be.

The original part of this thread had to do with why on earth MU went after Maymon to begin with.  Your response was that it helped us to get Vander.  Do you honestly think that we would not have had a chance to get Vander Blue without stepping on our diks with the Maymon fiasco?  I interpreted your post to suggest that there was some grand strategy that only the great Buzz could pull off and that we went after Maymon to get Vander.  

Sorry, Ners, but I give Buzz and his staff a little more credit and think the would have secured Vander without Maymon ever setting foot as a "student" athlete at MU.  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 10:48:55 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #167 on: November 13, 2010, 10:58:01 AM »
Wrong, I said it BEFORE IWB's response, but never let those facts get in the way Ners.  I NEVER denied they were friends or had an influence, my point was that the influence was nothing you make it out to be.

The original part of this thread had to do with why on earth MU went after Maymon to begin with.  Your response was that it helped us to get Vander.  Do you honestly think that we would not have had a chance to get Vander Blue without stepping on our diks with the Maymon fiasco?  I interpreted your post to suggest that there was some grand strategy that only the great Buzz could pull off and that we went after Maymon to get Vander.  

Sorry, Ners, but I give Buzz and his staff a little more credit and think the would have secured Vander without Maymon ever setting foot as a "student" athlete at MU.  

Chicos - Are you by chance short?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #168 on: November 13, 2010, 11:11:28 AM »
Yes, I'm short...5'7".  That's what God gave me (well, actually genetics...my mom was 4'11" and growing up 4 of my first 5 years in Central and South America didn't help).  Any other questions?

Ners, you obviously didn't like being called out for all your errors apparently.  I expect Stache to come out any second to claim you're attacking someone's manhood....or maybe he only holds that outrage for certain posters.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #169 on: November 13, 2010, 11:23:33 AM »
Vander did not choose MU or was influenced to any high degree by Maymon's decision.  Let's give the young man some credit for making his own decision on choice of schools.  You are putting WAY too much into that being a major role for Vander going to MU. 

Okay - Not surprised to hear you are short...but I first say "recruiting Maymon very well helped our chances in getting Vander."

You reply - And you know this about Vander and Maymon how exactly?

I gave you my explanation...and you replied with the above.  About 3 posts later IWB flat out stated how Maymon taking Vander to MU open gyms really opened Vander's eyes to MU and felt a comfort level..and it evolved from there.  Only after IWB posted did you retract..yet still can't admit the error of your above post and attitude on the issue.  Classic, sterotypical, short man complex..the sad thing is most short people don't have it..but you are a poster boy for perpetuating the sterotype.

To top it off..you criticize Canadian Dimes for not admitting when he's wrong...Ironic.  Just man up..and say you were wrong.  End of issue.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #170 on: November 13, 2010, 11:56:47 AM »
From how it seems, my guess is Vander never would have backed out of the Madison commitment without Maymon. Maybe the dodginess about how UW handled releasing his grades would have pushed him out anyway, but it seems that without Maymon, Blue would have had no reason to visit Marquette's campus on a regular basis, which likely opened the door for Buzz and company to make their push.

Maybe Blue leaves UW anyway. Maybe he still picks Marquette to stay close to home. Maybe he passes on the offers from Arizona, UCLA, Florida, and Tennessee. Maybe maybe maybe...but I haven't seen anything in the past from IWB to indicate he doesn't have a firm grasp of how things went down. Bottom line is that we know Maymon brought Blue to Marquette, Buzz followed up with recruiting him and getting his name on the dotted line, and Blue clearly felt comfortable enough with Marquette as a whole to stay despite Maymon's transfer. I'm sure that Vander made the right choice, and one he is comfortable with, but there's no way for us to know if he even gets that far without Maymon.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #171 on: November 13, 2010, 12:48:52 PM »
Yes, I'm short...5'7".  That's what God gave me (well, actually genetics...my mom was 4'11" and growing up 4 of my first 5 years in Central and South America didn't help).  Any other questions?

Ners, you obviously didn't like being called out for all your errors apparently.  I expect Stache to come out any second to claim you're attacking someone's manhood....or maybe he only holds that outrage for certain posters.

I'm not sure what the comment about me has to do with anything, but the fact that you're short really helps to explain a lot of your actions.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #172 on: November 13, 2010, 06:17:19 PM »
I'm not sure what the comment about me has to do with anything, but the fact that you're short really helps to explain a lot of your actions.

I believe PC applies to trash talk about short people also, because it applies to all other minorities.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #173 on: November 13, 2010, 06:37:53 PM »
Der-Rick

Wil-Son

Der- rick

Wil-Son

:)
SS Marquette

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #174 on: November 13, 2010, 06:46:35 PM »
This crap has gotten ridiculous lately.  No Chicos is wrong no Ners is wrong no _____ is wrong.  Don't tell me to go read another thread because it is on almost every one.  This thread was about Derrick Wilson and his name has been mentioned twice in the past 30 some posts.  Even Dimes tried to make a post about the kids skillset and everyone just glossed over it in trying to prove who is right.  Can you guys just keep it to PMs instead of turning everything thread into a stupid debate about sh*t that 99% of the board doesn't care about.  Vander is at Marquette, fantastic.  I don't care whether it was Jmay, buzz, or the allure of the PicknSave of national that brought him here. Sorry, but man these debates make it hard to read Scoop some days.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt