[Today at 09:15:16 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Derrick Wilson to Marquette  (Read 60066 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Re: Derrick Wilson to Marquette
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2010, 09:02:14 PM »
And you know this about Vander and Maymon how, exactly?  Especially when he said it had no impact on his decision to go to MU. 

I agree, nobody bats 1.000 nor should anyone expect them to.  Taking a flier on someone is fine as well.  It's just ironic as hell to hear some of these words come out for THIS coach.  Secondly, calling CD out on those claims just had to be done.  Finally, Sultan is right....does the end justify the means?  Cura Personalis

What Vander said was, when asked if Maymon transferring was going to alter his view on having signed with Marquette - he answered "No."  To not think that Vander's best friend from High School and teammate at Madison Memorial didn't try to influence Vander to come to Marquette..is not only naive, it is also misinformed.  J-May said as much in his time at MU that he wanted Vander to team up with him at MU..

Regarding the flier comment for THIS coach..I think Buzz gets a pass that Crean didn't because he has assembled a roster, that top to bottom, is VERY talented..you could call DJO and Jimmy Butler fliers too..unfortunately for Crean..his flyers were on kids like Niv Berkowitz..coupled with the fact that he pretty much was only able to recruit well once every 3 years..leaving lots of marginal players on the roster at slots 7-13.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2010, 09:20:05 PM »
Didn't Buzz say at a Circle event that Roseboro's dad was ill and that was one of the reasons he transferred?

We probably don't know half of what happened with the Roseboro and Newbill situations, so to automatically condemn Buzz is wrong. It is also wrong to completely absolve him of it as well since we don't know what happened. Basically it is pointless to keep bringing them up and argue because some will absolve Buzz and the others will crucify him and no ones viewpoint is really going to change.

IWB

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2010, 09:29:58 PM »
List a page back was not accurate. While Buzz is involved with all recruits, here is how that list should look....

Layer
Bowen

Buzz
Otule
E Williams
Fulce

Scott Monarch
Butler
Crowder
McMorrow
Newbill

Tony Benford
Blue
Buycks
Cadougan
Mbao
Smith
Wilson
Anderson
Maymon

Aki Collins
Gardner
Roseboro
D Wilson
Jamail Jones
DJO

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2010, 09:44:26 PM »
Didn't Buzz say at a Circle event that Roseboro's dad was ill and that was one of the reasons he transferred?

We probably don't know half of what happened with the Roseboro and Newbill situations, so to automatically condemn Buzz is wrong. It is also wrong to completely absolve him of it as well since we don't know what happened. Basically it is pointless to keep bringing them up and argue because some will absolve Buzz and the others will crucify him and no ones viewpoint is really going to change.

Absolutely right.

Thing is no one (that I know of) "completely absolves" Buzz. However, some do "condemn" him. Surprisingly, the one's calling for a "crucifixtion" have as their most vocal and persistant leader someone who claims to deal only in facts and who lectures on the importance of moving on and letting go. Go figure.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2010, 10:07:03 PM »
What Vander said was, when asked if Maymon transferring was going to alter his view on having signed with Marquette - he answered "No."  To not think that Vander's best friend from High School and teammate at Madison Memorial didn't try to influence Vander to come to Marquette..is not only naive, it is also misinformed.  J-May said as much in his time at MU that he wanted Vander to team up with him at MU..

Vander did not choose MU or was influenced to any high degree by Maymon's decision.  Let's give the young man some credit for making his own decision on choice of schools.  You are putting WAY too much into that being a major role for Vander going to MU. 

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2010, 10:07:20 PM »
Did Blue ever say Maymon was his "best friend" or is that just being inferred, possible incorrectly?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2010, 06:38:04 AM »
Vander did not choose MU or was influenced to any high degree by Maymon's decision.  Let's give the young man some credit for making his own decision on choice of schools.  You are putting WAY too much into that being a major role for Vander going to MU. 
I think Vander was influenced by Wes and Jerone to look at Marquette.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2010, 08:29:13 AM »
Bilsu

I have no doubt.  Of course any top player in the state would be a fool not to look at the top two programs in the state, regardless of who their friends are. 

But Ners is saying something quite different that simply doesn't square with logic.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:18:10 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

IWB

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2010, 09:39:35 AM »
Vander and Jerrone grew up together. They were best friends. When Maymon would head to Milwaukee for pickup games, Vander would tag along from time to time. When Maymon landed at MU, Vander would go and visit him. After a few times, he realized he felt more comfortable, felt like he fit in better that he did at UW. There were other factors, but that is what started it.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2010, 09:55:50 AM »
Vander and Jerrone grew up together. They were best friends. When Maymon would head to Milwaukee for pickup games, Vander would tag along from time to time. When Maymon landed at MU, Vander would go and visit him. After a few times, he realized he felt more comfortable, felt like he fit in better that he did at UW. There were other factors, but that is what started it.

But that's contrary to what Chicos says! How can that be?!  ;)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2010, 10:05:14 AM »
Vander did not choose MU or was influenced to any high degree by Maymon's decision. 

Absurdly false.

w0bbie

• Starter
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2010, 10:10:23 AM »

If anything, Vander was discouraged from coming to MU because he knew Jeronne Tim Maymon would be hogging quality PT at PG/SG.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2010, 10:14:10 AM »

Thanks IWB for putting this "debate" to rest about the role Maymon played in Vander choosing MU.  Chicos..of course Vander ultimately made the decision to attend MU and clearly didn't back out of it when Maymon's Dad pretty much got Maymon kicked off the team...but...given the above facts do you still stand by your statement that Maymon NEVER should have been recruited?  If so, why not??  Consider it a flyer recruit..on a talented kid..who had an overbearing Dad...but for Buzz's first year in Wisconsin..why not take a flyer on the Wisconsin state player of the year who is a Top 75 player nationally?  I'm sure Buzz felt he could manage the relationship with Tim Maymon as needed..as Buzz is pretty effective at managing relationships..unforutantely..Tim Maymon turned out to be a little too overbearing and they had to part ways..so..at what cost??  Vander Blue and Jae Crowder??  I'll take that trade.  Thanks.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2010, 11:50:34 AM »
You really don't know that. Even these young guys are taught how to talk to the media. We will never know for sure. Take Bogut's fall for example. Publicly, he says he doesn't blame anyone for his fall and that Amare did nothing wrong. In reality, it is easy to see the bad blood on the court and I have friends who talked to Bogut off-the-record and he still thinks Amare had a dirty push.

We really will never know. Vander could be upset privately since those 2 spent a lot of time together at MU events when he was recruited. Or he knew how distracting Maymon's situation was to the team and wasn't too upset he transferred. We just don't know.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2010, 03:39:47 PM »
I think Vander was influenced by Wes and Jerone to look at Marquette.

And Trevon Hughes

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2010, 05:20:18 PM »

Again, no doubt it has a small influence, but it is not why he chose MU.

Let's look at the logic here.

Some people would like to make it out that Maymon was so influential as to lead Vander to MU.  Well if that's true, when Vander originally selected UW-madison, he did so without Maymon as Maymon was NEVER going to UW-madison since they were smart enough to know that he had no business going there, his dad was a complete ass, etc.  Why didn't he wait to commit to UW-madison and see where his buddy was going? 

So that's logic break #1.

Logic break #2 comes into play when Maymon left MU and Vander was still committed to MU. If his friend was so instrumental in him attending MU, then why did he stay at MU with his departure?

I have no doubts, as you state and others have, that they were friends, etc, etc.  I'm sure they talked about playing together, etc.  I'm sure Wes had influence as a Memorial alum as well.  At the end of the day, however, players are usually (not always), but usually choosing to play at a school for many reasons well above where a buddy is going.  That may be one reason, but it's way down the list.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2010, 06:40:48 PM »

Some people would like to make it out that Maymon was so influential as to lead Vander to MU.  Well if that's true, when Vander originally selected UW-madison, he did so without Maymon as Maymon was NEVER going to UW-madison since they were smart enough to know that he had no business going there, his dad was a complete ass, etc.  Why didn't he wait to commit to UW-madison and see where his buddy was going? 

Logic break #2 comes into play when Maymon left MU and Vander was still committed to MU. If his friend was so instrumental in him attending MU, then why did he stay at MU with his departure?

I have no doubts, as you state and others have, that they were friends, etc, etc.  I'm sure they talked about playing together, etc.  I'm sure Wes had influence as a Memorial alum as well.  At the end of the day, however, players are usually (not always), but usually choosing to play at a school for many reasons well above where a buddy is going.  That may be one reason, but it's way down the list.

Did you not just yesterday post that you will admit when you are wrong..and were giving Canadian Dimes hell for never doing the same??  And now you submit this.  Give it up..it is posts like these that make you lose credibility with 80% of the board.  You start by making a blanket statement that JMay had nothing to do with Vander coming to MU..then..when you GET OWNED by the most knowledgable source/insider wehave for MU basketball - IWB - you still try to make yourself come off as "right."  Priceless.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2010, 07:34:30 PM »

Some people would like to make it out that Maymon was so influential as to lead Vander to MU.  Well if that's true, when Vander originally selected UW-madison, he did so without Maymon as Maymon was NEVER going to UW-madison since they were smart enough to know that he had no business going there, his dad was a complete ass, etc.  Why didn't he wait to commit to UW-madison and see where his buddy was going? 

I have no doubts, as you state and others have, that they were friends, etc, etc.  I'm sure they talked about playing together, etc.  I'm sure Wes had influence as a Memorial alum as well.  At the end of the day, however, players are usually (not always), but usually choosing to play at a school for many reasons well above where a buddy is going.  That may be one reason, but it's way down the list.

Do you actually read and comprehended IWB's post? He never says that Maymon is the reason Vander chose MU. He said that spending time at MU with Maymon and the other players is where he felt comfortable and that is what piqued his interest in MU. No logic was broken. VB committed to Madison because that's where he thought he wanted to play. As he began to spend time on MU's campus and with MU's players, he realized that he felt more comfortable with them and in that location (if I'm interpreting IWB's post correctly. If not, please correct me, IWB). So-called "logic break #2" is also illogical because, as I just stated, it wasn't just playing with Maymon that made VB want to go to MU. He felt comfortable on campus and felt comfortable around the group of guys.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2010, 10:06:28 AM »
Chicos' silence on this thread is deafening.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2010, 10:10:16 AM »
Welcome to the MU family Derrick.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2010, 10:12:51 AM »

“A man should never be ashamed to own that he has been in the wrong, which is but saying... that he is wiser today than yesterday.”

Jonathan Swift

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2010, 10:20:12 AM »

I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before we have another ridiculous rebuttal.  I'd be shocked if Chicos chose to acknowledge he was wrong, but certainly would respect him more for doing so.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2010, 11:20:36 AM »

If only every thread were like this.  What a wonderful place this would be.   :D

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2010, 12:38:23 PM »
If only every thread were like this.  What a wonderful place this would be.   :D

+ infinity

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2010, 02:32:12 PM »

I noticed your post on the other thread asking Chicos why he hasn't responded here and claiming that IWP "pantsed" him here.  You seem a little obsessed by this topic, and it seems that your issues with Chicos may be coloring your view of things.  I don't think IWB "pantsed" Chicos.  In fact, I'm not sure that what they are saying is all that different.  Chicos said that he thinks Blue made his own decision and it was based on a lot of factors -- that Maymon was not a huge influence on Vander's decision.  IWB said that because of his friendship with Maymon, Vander spent a lot of time around Marquette and became very comfortable with the program.  IWB even specifically says that there were other factors, but that the access he got by being friends with Maymon is what "started it."

Not only did IWB not "pants" Chicos, I'm not really even sure that their positions are inconsistent.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

feedback