'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Derrick Wilson to Marquette  (Read 60051 times)

mugrad99

• Team Captain
Re: Derrick Wilson to Marquette
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2010, 08:16:15 AM »
Welcome to MU, Derrick!   May your career be as great as your attitude.     A PG who is athletic enough to also be receiving D1 football offers.    A coachable kid who willingly played out of position to help out the team.   A leader who wants to be challenged, who wants to be coached, who wants to get better.  A student athlete excelling academically at one of the toughest prep schools in the country.  The only possible downside is the number of stars next to his name.    But judging from who else he was considering, a lot of other institutions saw the same things Buzz and Aki saw.     

Maybe Buzz is secretly reviving our Football program as well.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2010, 08:32:17 AM »
Buzz Williams is working on his 4th recruiting class and has not yet signed a single player that is not already or does not project to be a high major player. 
Canada: This is exagerated at best. Not all of Buzz's signees are high major players, yet. I guess that is what "project" means--whatever somebody "projects"--kind of like channeling. I would submit that the following signees are/were not "high major players":
Montrale Clark
Liam McMorrow
Mbao
Otule--he is a project in progress

Not saying I agree with the following as not being "high major players", but some would argue that they are not:
Erik Williams based on his progress so far
JC--some on this board have already given the playing time to Bucyks/Smith/Blue
Gardner
Point is Buzz has had his share of signees that were not high major players
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2010, 08:45:33 AM »
I would say Clark and McMorrow we really can't say one way or the other. Clark had his legal issues and McMorrow had so many injuries that we'll never know what kind of player he might have been. Mbao definitely didn't look like a high major during his limited time here, so I'd agree with that one. Otule has definitely been a project player as well.

But as far as the others...when you talk about recruiting, that's just silly. Erik Williams was a top 100 player with offers from Alabama, Baylor, and Texas A&M. Cadougan was a top 50 player with offers from Louisville, Texas, Memphis, and Tennessee. Gardner is the one guy in that second list you can argue a bit, but he's still a three-star player that went first team all-state in Virginia ahead of many four-star prospects and had another offer from a Big East school in South Florida.

I agree that CD's assessment of not signing a single player that isn't already or projecting as a high-major to be an overstatement, but not nearly by the extent you make it out to be. It's simply preposterous to say that from a recruiting standpoint, top 100 players don't project as "high-major" talents.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2010, 10:28:20 AM »
could wilson also be the entree to Morris from Hotchkiss?

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2010, 10:29:38 AM »
cmon man, I really have to waste the time and explain the difference between those

who WALK ON  and those who are given scholarships. 

But we did give a scholarship to Brett Roseboro (St. Bonnies). And we did give a scholarship to Yous Mbao (Marshall). And we did give a scholarship to Liam McMorrow (Tennessee Tech). And we were giving a scholarship to DJ Newbill (Southern Miss) until the bus got full.

For now, those are the ones who are definitely not "high major" like Canadian Dimes wrote about.

But this is a discussion that can't be fruitful for another two years as 3/4 of Buzz' guys aren't even close to exhausting eligibility.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2010, 10:34:14 AM »
could wilson also be the entree to Morris from Hotchkiss?

Jason Morris graduated and is a freshman at Georgia Tech.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2010, 10:40:28 AM »
Jason Morris graduated and is a freshman at Georgia Tech.

So we'll have to wait for him to transfer to MU once Paul Hewitt gets the axe for underachiveing again this season  ;)

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2010, 11:05:38 AM »
But we did give a scholarship to Brett Roseboro (St. Bonnies). And we did give a scholarship to Yous Mbao (Marshall). And we did give a scholarship to Liam McMorrow (Tennessee Tech). And we were giving a scholarship to DJ Newbill (Southern Miss) until the bus got full.

For now, those are the ones who are definitely not "high major" like Canadian Dimes wrote about.

But this is a discussion that can't be fruitful for another two years as 3/4 of Buzz' guys aren't even close to exhausting eligibility.
Oh yeah. I forgot about Roseboro. Another of Buzz's high major signees.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2010, 11:08:06 AM »
Frankly (and this may be unfair), I don't think Aki has the best track record as a recruiter for Marquette.

Aki was the lead recruiter for Roseboro right?  Do you think they went too far down their list for DWil?

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2010, 11:10:08 AM »
Frankly (and this may be unfair), I don't think Aki has the best track record as a recruiter for Marquette.

I think Tony Benford would have something to say about that.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2010, 11:51:31 AM »

Aki was the lead recruiter for Roseboro right?  Do you think they went too far down their list for DWil?

Definitely for Roseboro.  The key phrase was "may be unfair".  Actually, I'd be interested in compiling a list of primary recruiters (based on what we know) for each assistant.

THREADJACK!

Layer
Bowen

Monarch
Butler
Newbill

Buzz
Otule
EWill
Fulce
Wilson
Crowder
DJO
McMorrow

Benford
Blue
Mbao
Smith
Anderson
Cadougan
Maymon

Aki
Roseboro
DWil
Jamail Jones

Anyone else have better information on those?  I always kind of thought that Aki did east coast, Benford worked Chicago/West Coast, and Monarch was the Juco/Texas person.  

disclaimer:  Any and all of this information may be completely inaccurate.
updated with info from GOMU1104... and bma
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 12:17:43 PM by Henry Sugar »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2010, 11:51:56 AM »
I think Tony Benford would have something to say about that.

I don't understand what you mean.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2010, 12:00:09 PM »

What determines high major? I would say being recruited by a high major school and actually playing determines that. And than there is a difference between playing at North Carolina, which is a bonified high major and playing at MU, which in my mind is a major school in a high major conference. Major falling between high major and mid-major. Let us be honest, if we are bounced from the Big East and end up in the Atlantic 10, we then would be considered a mid-major school. Buzz's recruiting focus is to continually upgrade the team from positions 1 through 13. Part of this upgrade includes the lower players moving on to other schools. My projection for Wilson is that he follows Dwight Burke's career path. Plays very little as a feshmen and sophomore and contributes significantly as a junior and senior. Which is the same path Eric Williams is on. As far as McMorrow we will get an idea of how good he could of been, since he will be playing this year. The same with Newbill. Roseborro did not want to do the work required here, but he was averaging 5+ points at St. Bonaventure before being injured, which means he probably scored more points than Eric Williams, Maymon, Mbao and Cadougan combined. At this point none of last years class qualifies as a high major player.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2010, 12:00:40 PM »
I don't understand what you mean.

I mean...Tony Benford has a better track record than Aki Collins, so far.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2010, 12:02:54 PM »

Unknown
Maymon
DJO
McMorrow
Cadougan
Crowder
Jamail Jones

Anyone else have better information on those?  I always kind of thought that Aki did east coast, Benford worked Chicago/West Coast, and Monarch was the Juco/Texas person.  

disclaimer:  Any and all of this information may be completely inaccurate.

Maymon - Buzz
DJO - Buzz
McMorrow - Buzz
Cadougan - Benford
Crowder - Buzz
Jones - Collins

Newbill - Monarch, not Collins
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 12:04:31 PM by GOMU1104 »

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2010, 12:12:10 PM »
I mean...Tony Benford has a better track record than Aki Collins, so far.

yeah, totally agree. 

I had assumed that Aki was also responsible for Newbill as well as Roseboro because he was the "east coast" person.  Which gave him pretty low marks.  But it appears that was unfair.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2010, 12:12:44 PM »
Some of those could be characterized as being a team effort...i.e.  Benford was heavily involved in the Maymon recruitment, to the point where Tim Maymon praised Benford's effort when Jeronne committed.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2010, 03:28:04 PM »
Buzz Williams is working on his 4th recruiting class and has not yet signed a single player that is not already or does not project to be a high major player.

Really.  You may want to go back in time a little bit the last few years and try again.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2010, 03:29:46 PM »
I should also add what the heck does whatever St. John's do have to do with my opinion of Wilson?  ?-(

Canadian Dimes is just cranky that he might have to change his username for the 7th time here because the guy he's touting may not start this year.  Plus, the name "Mbao will be all Big East by year 4" was too long to fit into character limits of this board.   So don't worry Johnny, he's just in one of his moods

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2010, 04:45:02 PM »
Canadian Dimes is just cranky that he might have to change his username for the 7th time here because the guy he's touting may not start this year.  Plus, the name "Mbao will be all Big East by year 4" was too long to fit into character limits of this board.   So don't worry Johnny, he's just in one of his moods

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.  Chicos, you have had more than you share of mistake-filled posts.  Now, given these recruiting misses under the present regime, and what they have been replaced with..which do you feel is better?:

a) The roster and program would have been better off if Roseboro, Mbao, Newbill, and Maymon were still Warriors

OR

b)The roster and program aer better off having Devante Gardner, Crowder, Wilson, and Reggie Smith as Warriors?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2010, 04:51:27 PM »
Ners, the question isn't which is better...but how we got there.

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2010, 05:27:05 PM »

Is it the journey or the destination?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2010, 07:47:52 PM »

Even if looking at it that way..I don't see any problem with Mbao, Roseboro, or Maymon being gone.  Maymon - we all know the deal there (but recruiting him very well helped our chances in getting Vander).  Don't have any issue with Roseboro coming to MU realizing he was overmatched..and the staff telling him as much..so as not to waste the kids time on a Big East roster..instead giving him a chance to go elsewhere right away and have a college career.  Basically the same on Mbao..take a flier..see how it plays out...doesn't work out...the kid transfers.

Nobody bats 100% in recruiting..and transfers are a part of life in high major ball..and are here to stay.  To be "offeneded" or feel our staff didn't do right by these kids is ridiculous.  Newbill...well..there is a lot of gray area there..but...in my mind that is the only recruit you can say has some gray area..

Listing Clark, McMorrow, etc...can't predict possible rape charges (which I believe were dropped), nor can yo u predict a heart problem..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2010, 08:28:33 PM »
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.  Chicos, you have had more than you share of mistake-filled posts.  Now, given these recruiting misses under the present regime, and what they have been replaced with..which do you feel is better?:

a) The roster and program would have been better off if Roseboro, Mbao, Newbill, and Maymon were still Warriors

OR

b)The roster and program aer better off having Devante Gardner, Crowder, Wilson, and Reggie Smith as Warriors?

Yup, I've made a few mistakes and I own up to them.  Canadian Dimes has never done that.....that is difference number one among many many many.

I was responding to CD's ridiculous claim that Buzz had not ONCE recruited anything but a high major player.  Sorry, that's just plain crap.

As for your question, well that all depends now doesn't it.  The Newbill thing was a joke as was Maymon.  Never should have gone after Maymon in the first place, never should have treated a signed recruit like we did Newbill.  From a talent perspective, yeah, we might have more talent.  Will either of those things do longer term damage?  We'll have to wait an see.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:53:18 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2010, 08:31:00 PM »
Even if looking at it that way..I don't see any problem with Mbao, Roseboro, or Maymon being gone.  Maymon - we all know the deal there (but recruiting him very well helped our chances in getting Vander).  Don't have any issue with Roseboro coming to MU realizing he was overmatched..and the staff telling him as much..so as not to waste the kids time on a Big East roster..instead giving him a chance to go elsewhere right away and have a college career.  Basically the same on Mbao..take a flier..see how it plays out...doesn't work out...the kid transfers.

Nobody bats 100% in recruiting..and transfers are a part of life in high major ball..and are here to stay.  To be "offeneded" or feel our staff didn't do right by these kids is ridiculous.  Newbill...well..there is a lot of gray area there..but...in my mind that is the only recruit you can say has some gray area..

Listing Clark, McMorrow, etc...can't predict possible rape charges (which I believe were dropped), nor can yo u predict a heart problem..

And you know this about Vander and Maymon how, exactly?  Especially when he said it had no impact on his decision to go to MU. 

I agree, nobody bats 1.000 nor should anyone expect them to.  Taking a flier on someone is fine as well.  It's just ironic as hell to hear some of these words come out for THIS coach.  Secondly, calling CD out on those claims just had to be done.  Finally, Sultan is right....does the end justify the means?  Cura Personalis