[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by brewcity77
[May 03, 2024, 08:27:54 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Derrick Wilson to Marquette  (Read 60062 times)

Dave Krupinski

• Scholarship Player
    • Johnny Jungle
Re: Derrick Wilson to Marquette
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »
I'm surprised to see Derrick Wilson land in the Big East. He was highly touted as a Frosh/Soph then he dipped off the radar. I've seen him play in person as a junior and I was unimpressed. His Hotchkiss team is terrible and I do think that hurt him a bit but I didn't walk away impressed with him either. 

The things he'll offer is tough defense, he's seriously a wrecking ball, and he's a solid floor general. I think he would have made a much better defensive back or safety but thats just me.

Wilson was definitely a case of maturing faster the dominating early in his career. The rest of the world caught up to him and he's not so spectacular anymore. I was hoping Marquette would have landed someone better as I thought Wilson was more of a A-10 type player. Regardless they landed a nice kid and a good competitor so I do wish him the best of luck at Marquette (except when playing St. John's)
www.JohnnyJungle.com
6th Man of St. John's Basketball

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2010, 05:46:54 PM »
I'm surprised to see Derrick Wilson land in the Big East. He was highly touted as a Frosh/Soph then he dipped off the radar. I've seen him play in person as a junior and I was unimpressed. His Hotchkiss team is terrible and I do think that hurt him a bit but I didn't walk away impressed with him either. 

The things he'll offer is tough defense, he's seriously a wrecking ball, and he's a solid floor general. I think he would have made a much better defensive back or safety but thats just me.

Wilson was definitely a case of maturing faster the dominating early in his career. The rest of the world caught up to him and he's not so spectacular anymore. I was hoping Marquette would have landed someone better as I thought Wilson was more of a A-10 type player. Regardless they landed a nice kid and a good competitor so I do wish him the best of luck at Marquette (except when playing St. John's)

Thanks for your concern, but I wouldn't worry too much for us.  Last year we played with a backcourt of mid-major guards Maurice Acker and David Cubillan and went to the NCAA tournament.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2010, 06:07:29 PM »

That might be spot on, but he definitely adds to the bench as a solid player.

Especially as Vander and Reggie start to mature and take over.
SS Marquette

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2010, 06:24:10 PM »

Impressed that a St. Johns fan after 3-4 good signings now is the end all when it comes to player evaluation.  Buzz Williams is working on his 4th recruiting class and has not yet signed a single player that is not already or does not project to be a high major player.  I will defer to Buzz over you Johnny.  Lastly, Mu is so deep at PG that Derrick will not be counted on to play as a Freshman.  He will have 2 other PG's on the roster when he gets to MU.  One a Top 50 recruit and another who was arguably the surprise of our exhibition game with 7 assists and no turnovers.  Additionally, we have a Top 25 recruit that can also play the point. 

Derrick has been given an opportunity play for a top echelon Big East team that has proven over the last two years to get the very best out of it's players.  If he excels and earns playing time he will play, if not he will not.  MU is extremely deep including a walk-on that started at a D1 school.  The competition amazing at every position.  I love the signing and am not in the least bit concerned that our program will suffer if he does not live up to your standards.  Read his article with the Milwaukee paper, he knows what is in front of him and is not afraid of the challenge.  Our kind of kid. 

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2010, 06:41:51 PM »
Buzz Williams is working on his 4th recruiting class and has not yet signed a single player that is not already or does not project to be a high major player.

I'm not disagreeing with you, and I'm certainly not going to single out anyone on MU's roster (Newbill was "signed" but is not on the roster), but I'm really trying to figure out what the heck your statement even means.  Sounds great, but not sure it really means anything at all.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2010, 06:45:48 PM »
It means no more Ball State/ Rice University  transfers. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2010, 06:53:16 PM »

Thanks for your input..that said..I saw on the Scout board a fan of another school...I believe Georgetown/Syracuse kind of dogged this kid..by saying the same thing as you above.  In the end, perhaps you are right..but..i can promise you one thing..i would NEVER bet against a kid who has a tough makeup, character, and good athletic ability...cand develope into under a coach like Buzz Williams who is able to extract every ounce of talent out of his players.  Jim Calhoun said it best last year..does MU have the 5th best talent in the Big East??  Absolutely not..but they way they compete and play..they are the 5th best team.  The good news is that we now have far more talent than ever in the Buzz Williams era and won't be starting a 5'8' PG and 5'10' 2 Guard.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2010, 06:56:51 PM »
It means no more Ball State/ Rice University  transfers. 

Just ones from High Point...

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2010, 07:03:11 PM »
I appreciate other people posting here even if its not great.  By everyones account Wilsons biggest strength is he plays hard and is tough, and without a doubt his rankings have slide.  Also they listed him as 6-2 as a soph and he is now 6-1 so my guess is he was fully developed by 15 which gives him a Big advantage.  Hopefully his willingness to work hard will pay off.  Thanks for you input Jhonny.

Dave Krupinski

• Scholarship Player
    • Johnny Jungle
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2010, 07:05:47 PM »
Impressed that a St. Johns fan after 3-4 good signings now is the end all when it comes to player evaluation.  Buzz Williams is working on his 4th recruiting class and has not yet signed a single player that is not already or does not project to be a high major player.  I will defer to Buzz over you Johnny.  Lastly, Mu is so deep at PG that Derrick will not be counted on to play as a Freshman.  He will have 2 other PG's on the roster when he gets to MU.  One a Top 50 recruit and another who was arguably the surprise of our exhibition game with 7 assists and no turnovers.  Additionally, we have a Top 25 recruit that can also play the point. 

Derrick has been given an opportunity play for a top echelon Big East team that has proven over the last two years to get the very best out of it's players.  If he excels and earns playing time he will play, if not he will not.  MU is extremely deep including a walk-on that started at a D1 school.  The competition amazing at every position.  I love the signing and am not in the least bit concerned that our program will suffer if he does not live up to your standards.  Read his article with the Milwaukee paper, he knows what is in front of him and is not afraid of the challenge.  Our kind of kid. 

I'm not slighting or questioning Buzz or Marquette just merely commenting. I come in peace, I just wanted to throw around some insight. I highly doubt anyone besides maybe Tim from Cracked Sidewalks has seen Wilson live in person.

If you ever seen anything or heard anything I do you'd know I'm a big time Buzz supporter. I'm not a Wilson fan though but like I said in my last post I wish him the best.  ::)
www.JohnnyJungle.com

Dave Krupinski

• Scholarship Player
    • Johnny Jungle
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2010, 07:08:10 PM »
I should also add what the heck does whatever St. John's do have to do with my opinion of Wilson?  ?-(
www.JohnnyJungle.com

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »
I should also add what the heck does whatever St. John's do have to do with my opinion of Wilson?  ?-(

It was just one guy making a snide comment. I also think some guys are kinda pissed/frustrated to see St. John's getting so many ridiculously good recruits out of nowhere when they haven't done anything in years.

Ill admit, Im kinda one of them a little [But I would be glad to see another BB-only school getting talent over the other Big East schools..Id love to have Nova, GTown, Marq and St. John's form a solid 4 Catholic powerhouses to challenge the top 4 football schools], especially when I never liked Steve Lavin back in his UCLA days with that douchey gelled back hair.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 08:35:35 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Sheriff

• Starter
Re: Derrick Wilson to MU
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2010, 07:49:02 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/54699/derrick-wilson

ESPN scouting report. Sure sounds like the kind of kid Buzz says he wants.

Strengths:
A physically imposing guard, Wilson is built like a tank with terrific muscle mass and definition. He plays the game with a warrior's mentality, competing with toughness and intensity on both ends of the ball.

Should be a prerequisite for any Marquette player.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2010, 07:49:35 PM »

Thanks for your input. Like others have said, it sound like the scouts think he peaked a couple of years ago. I appreciate the insight of all who come in peace, even when the news isn't as good as I would have hoped.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2010, 08:42:06 PM »
Thanks for your input..that said..I saw on the Scout board a fan of another school...I believe Georgetown/Syracuse kind of dogged this kid..by saying the same thing as you above

It'd be funny if it was a 'Cuse fan, since Syracuse also offered Wilson.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2010, 09:49:19 PM »
especially when I never liked Steve Lavin back in his UCLA days with that douchey gelled back hair.

Not to pour the hate on Lavin, but I was really glad to hear that his mug and voice would no longer be on ESPN. I too hope St. John's can turn it around with him. Looks like he's off to a great start.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2010, 11:01:15 PM »
I love Johnny Jungle.

You can tack his post on Wilson's locker every single game day, especially before and on the games versus St. John's.

MU and Wilson thank you for the "chip".
SS Marquette

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2010, 11:04:37 PM »
I should also add what the heck does whatever St. John's do have to do with my opinion of Wilson?  ?-(

Hah, I guess MU fans have gotten better at talking smack after a few years in the BE.  

For those that haven't been paying attention, MUScoop and JohnnyJungle (which is a site, not just his username) have kind of grown up together in the new Big East as independent sites.  Last year we had some friendly bets to switch the site design based on who won or lost the MU/STJ games.  Luckily Johnny had to do all the switches last year, but either this year with their 35 seniors, or in the coming years with the talent that Lavin is stacking, we might have to deck ourselves out in red (which is sure to make MU fans think they're at a Wisconsin site)

Anyhow - thanks for your thoughts on Wilson.  Sounds like the type of guy Buzz likes, and I hope he's just a bit under-rated.  As others have mentioned though, at this point he'll have at least a year before we'd need him to work himself into the rotation.  But if he's really motivated to impress, we'd love to have him playing the first year.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2010, 03:07:08 AM »

cmon man, I really have to waste the time and explain the difference between those

who WALK ON  and those who are given scholarships. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2010, 06:57:26 AM »
Welcome to MU, Derrick!   May your career be as great as your attitude.     A PG who is athletic enough to also be receiving D1 football offers.    A coachable kid who willingly played out of position to help out the team.   A leader who wants to be challenged, who wants to be coached, who wants to get better.  A student athlete excelling academically at one of the toughest prep schools in the country.  The only possible downside is the number of stars next to his name.    But judging from who else he was considering, a lot of other institutions saw the same things Buzz and Aki saw.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2010, 07:12:51 AM »
Welcome to MU, Derrick!   May your career be as great as your attitude.     A PG who is athletic enough to also be receiving D1 football offers.    A coachable kid who willingly played out of position to help out the team.   A leader who wants to be challenged, who wants to be coached, who wants to get better.  A student athlete excelling academically at one of the toughest prep schools in the country.  The only possible downside is the number of stars next to his name.    But judging from who else he was considering, a lot of other institutions saw the same things Buzz and Aki saw.     

Very well said.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2010, 07:37:17 AM »
I'm not slighting or questioning Buzz or Marquette just merely commenting. I come in peace, I just wanted to throw around some insight. I highly doubt anyone besides maybe Tim from Cracked Sidewalks has seen Wilson live in person.

If you ever seen anything or heard anything I do you'd know I'm a big time Buzz supporter. I'm not a Wilson fan though but like I said in my last post I wish him the best.  ::)

JohnnyJungle, thanks for your perspective.  I appreciate a fairly objective take on the player.  You've always been respectful and a good sport.  Between you and Pico, SJU fans have good reps.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Wilson was out of his element at MU.  Frankly (and this may be unfair), I don't think Aki has the best track record as a recruiter for Marquette.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2010, 07:46:45 AM »

he is a walkon ...whole different deal. 

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2010, 07:50:09 AM »

For comparisons sake...do you think he will be a better college player than say a Malik boothe?

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2010, 08:10:49 AM »

I appreciate the observations from someone who has seen Wilson play, and JohnnyJungle has always been a good sport in the past so I don't see why anyone would view his comments as ripping MU or Buzz in any way. From what I've read, I love the make-up Wilson has (disciplined, mature, smart) and the toughness factor. Those traits, combined with what sounds like far better than average athletic ability, make for a pretty nice start for Buzz and the staff to mold. Add in the fact that he's always been splitting time between football and basketball up to this year, and I would expect he'd improve significantly going forward. I'm excited about the potential this kid seems to have.

feedback