[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What are the chances of Christopherson red-shirting?  (Read 3172 times)

murocky01

• Scholarship Player
What are the chances of Christopherson red-shirting?
« on: June 19, 2007, 02:45:19 PM »
I've seen this possibility thrown around on this message board, due to DJ coming back for at least one more year.  I personally hope that he does not red-shirt.  From watching clips of him play a few times, he looks like a pure shooter ala Diener.  I think that our team could definitely use all of the 3 point shooters we can get this year.  One question is whether he is as good of a shooter off of the ball versus pulling up off of the dribble.  It looks like he did more of the latter in high school, but may have to do more of the former with MU.

muarmy81

• All American
Re: What are the chances of Christopherson red-shirting?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 06:03:29 AM »
I think it depends on a few things...
First is Mo Acker a good shooter?  Will Lazar's 3 pt shooting improve?  Will Fitz's shooting get more consistent?  If the answer is yes to 2 of those 3 questions then I would think it'd be wise to red shirt the guy.  That would allow him gain a year to grow, improve, and acclimate to the D1 game while also allowing Marquette to have another good player on the team an additional year after the 3 amigos graduate or leave.  It increases our transition period by a year because if you recall when DWade left it was nice to have Diener and Novak to transition to the next year because if we hadn't had him for the next 2 seasons we'd have been worse than what we were.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 07:09:22 AM »
I like his game. He will be much more valuable as a 5th year senior than as a freshman. UW's philosphy is to redshirt players as freshman and it works well for them. Crean is more of a now guy. The possiblity that Christopherson might make a difference in one game this year will keep Crean from redshirting him. The player that should have been redshirted was Novak. Imagine having on last year's team. However, he hit those three big threes against Missouri to pull out that game and was instrumental in the final four run. If you look at his freshman season he was not much of a factor in the beginning, but came on as the year went on. We also should have redshirted Barro. He has turned into a decent player and I would not mind having him back for a fifth year. I believe it was Kevin O'Neal's theory was that you redshirt players as sophomores, which is what he did with Amal McGaskil. That gives you a year to see if the player is improving. You do not want to redshirt a player that is not going to get better. The other factor is who MU signs this year. If they got Shuppert and Williams there would not be much reason to redshirt a guard.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 07:24:34 AM »
I am no coach, but it seems that if your trend is to recruit players with greater talent levels each succeeding year, why keep previous recruited players longer hence tying up scholarships.   It sure seems we need 3-pt shooting now to allow our slashers to use their talents.

Murffieus

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 07:25:43 AM »
I think it would be a good idea to redshirt him-----otherwise he will be picking up splinters on the pine-----IMO he's not ready for BE BB yet and we have some veteran people who will take the minutes ahead of him.---a year of transition without pressure will help!

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 07:45:18 AM »
We also forget the player has a life beyond basketball.  Does the player really want to be in college for another year?  Look at our last two years and the contribution by first year players.  DJ, Jerel, Wes, Cubby and Lazar all performed well and played significant minutes.  We also have an immediate need for 3-pt shooters.  Also, this is basketball at the highest level in collegiates.  Put pressure on them to perform.  Have a hard work ethic, be as good as they can be immediately.  I mean, life is like that.  Very rarely in life is there a low pressure breaking in period.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 08:26:34 AM »
I'm not sure there is any real way to figure it out given the size of college hoops... but I wonder what the percentage of guards redshirted vs. big men redshirted is.

Usually big men take longer to develop, so redshirting often makes sense (give them a year to work on size, strength, and individual moves), whereas guards tend to be able to immediately contribute because they tend to be more developed players at 18/19 yrs old.

Anyways, that's my gut feeling about redshirting... as far as Christopherson goes... if Crean and Scott feel he can contribute this season, he will play.

If they go through fall practice and pre-season and they think that he will spend the vast majority of his time on the pine, then he will redshirt.

There really isn't any difference(for the player) in redshirting or playing mop-up minutes. The vast majority of your court time is still spent in practice.

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 09:02:19 AM »
I think it makes sense to redshirt him given our over abundance of solid guards... a good problem to have.  Having said that, I believe Scott was asked about redshirting by a reporter from a Lacrosse newspaper and mentioned that he intended on playing/contributing this year.  Therefore I think it is unlikely he will redshirt as it came directly from his mouth.  Sorry no link... it was a while back during the high school regular season.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 09:30:10 AM »
Shaq, I saw that article as well.  I think its highly doubtful that Scott will redshirt.  If TC wants to play an all out pressure game, he needs as many bodies as possible And, a few 3's would help too.

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 10:17:47 AM »
for once I agree w/ Murf.

4everwarriors

• All American
ZERO!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 07:50:23 PM »
He's one of the select few who can actually shoot it on the team.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 09:36:17 PM »
Fitz, coobie, lazar, acker?

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 10:00:48 PM »
Zip.

He'll play.
SS Marquette

feedback