'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Worthless chat  (Read 6846 times)

Groin_pull

• All American
Worthless chat
« on: March 07, 2013, 04:51:27 PM »
So, Mike Hunt (love that name) does a JSOnline MU chat today...and it seems like half the questions are about Buzz leaving. Sad stuff. Why do I get the feeling this chat was filled with Becky fans trying to stir up trouble and stick it to MU?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/194702611.htmlhttp://

Eldon

• All American
Re: Worthless chat
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 08:33:34 PM »
I also love that name lol.  But this

Rick Barnes is under some heat at Texas and if he does step aside, I'd say Buzz would be high on the short-list. Buzz, being a Texan, turned down the SMU job last year for better money because he rightly believed SMU basketball has an incredibly low profile. But if UT came calling, I'm not sure there would be anything Marquette could do to keep him. And nobody could blame Buzz if he left for that kind of opportunity.

this is alarming.  I've recently become a very big Longhorn fan.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:40:40 PM »
I also love that name lol.  But this

Rick Barnes is under some heat at Texas and if he does step aside, I'd say Buzz would be high on the short-list. Buzz, being a Texan, turned down the SMU job last year for better money because he rightly believed SMU basketball has an incredibly low profile. But if UT came calling, I'm not sure there would be anything Marquette could do to keep him. And nobody could blame Buzz if he left for that kind of opportunity.

this is alarming.  I've recently become a very big Longhorn fan.

teal? Or are you just new here...?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 08:42:34 PM »
Hunt answered the questions asked.   Apparently, there is more concern out there than there is on the scoop board about Buzz leaving. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 08:50:54 PM »
Pretty sure that all of our worrying was used up during the mega-epic thread

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 08:54:20 PM »
I thought that Hunt was extremely candid about answering the questions, especially the ones about Buzz and the possibility of him leaving.

I am new to Scoop so no teal.  When I heard about Buzz being targeted for SMU I thought 'no way' he leaves for SMU.  I was, however, a little more worried when he was being targeted for that Oklahoma job.  Is it common knowledge on here that Buzz would leave in a heartbeat for Texas?  Or is this just Hunt voicing his own personal opinion?  (I could search for threads on this, but, again, I'm relatively new and hence bad at searching the 689+ threads).

The reason I say it's alarming is that this is coming from the beat reporter for the team, who, I would imagine, has a good relationship with Buzz and privy to this type of info

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 09:06:45 PM »
I wouldn't say it is common knowledge.    There is a broad spectrum of opinion on the matter.    Just as there was a broad spectrum of opinion for the OK job.    There is a broad spectrum of opinion about the working relationship between Buzz and Larry.  There is a broad spectrum of opinion as to whether Texas would pay their basketball coach enough to pull Buzz away.    You can find threads that went dozens of pages on these very subjects.   I don't really have the stomach to rehash it all.    Do a little research and you will come away amazed at how well scoopers can debate minutiae out to infinity.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 09:18:44 PM »
I thought that Hunt was extremely candid about answering the questions, especially the ones about Buzz and the possibility of him leaving.

I am new to Scoop so no teal.  When I heard about Buzz being targeted for SMU I thought 'no way' he leaves for SMU.  I was, however, a little more worried when he was being targeted for that Oklahoma job.  Is it common knowledge on here that Buzz would leave in a heartbeat for Texas?  Or is this just Hunt voicing his own personal opinion?  (I could search for threads on this, but, again, I'm relatively new and hence bad at searching the 689+ threads).

The reason I say it's alarming is that this is coming from the beat reporter for the team, who, I would imagine, has a good relationship with Buzz and privy to this type of info

Texas will always be a football school first. That will never change and buzz knows this. See this article from last week that clearly states that. And buzz would see Texas as a step up?  Hardly.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/As-it-was-The-state-of-Texas-basketball-4308018.php

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 09:21:31 PM »
DeLoss Dodds may be getting more pressure to do something as football and basketball are both suffering.   He's under heat just cause of football right now.

Gonna have to squeeze big time this offseason fellas.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 09:23:55 PM »
To get Buzz, Texas would likely to have to offer $3 million-plus per year. That might ruffle some feathers among the football people there.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 09:25:13 PM »

OMG, our coach could leave!?! Oh nooooo~!

Yeah, we all know that would suck and is possible. So what else is new? It's amazing how the fans at Butler and VCU are so much more confident than their's will stay long-term. I mean, we've really only lost one coach to another program. I think every program should be worried if UT gets open.

Stevens, Shaka, Wright, Buzz, Dixon, Haith, Marshall, etc., are all legitimate options. We're assuming a lot to think Buzz is automatically #1 on Texas' list as well.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:30:39 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 09:28:46 PM »
Is this really a concern in a season where Buzz is a very viable candidate for Big East COY and the basketball-only league is about to take off?

Rhetorical question.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 09:29:43 PM »
Texas will always be a football school first. That will never change and buzz knows this. See this article from last week that clearly states that. And buzz would see Texas as a step up?  Hardly.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/As-it-was-The-state-of-Texas-basketball-4308018.ph

Comeon. Is the real world not real anymore? UT IS a better job. The recruits, facilities, resources, are second to NONE. That is a hard job to turn down, probably only eclipsed by Kansas, UNC, UK, Indiana, UCLA, Duke, and equal with Michigan St, OSU, Arizona, Florida.

Does that mean its an automatic decision? Of course not. Sometimes you don't mess with happy as Buzz says. That doesn't mean you would never leave either.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 09:42:02 PM »
Comeon. Is the real world not real anymore? UT IS a better job. The recruits, facilities, resources, are second to NONE. That is a hard job to turn down, probably only eclipsed by Kansas, UNC, UK, Indiana, UCLA, Duke, and equal with Michigan St, OSU, Arizona, Florida.

Does that mean its an automatic decision? Of course not. Sometimes you don't mess with happy as Buzz says. That doesn't mean you would never leave either.

Lets analyze every category

Facilities - MU equal to Texas FOR HOOPS.

Resources - u kidding me?  buzz gets a private jet at MU and gets paid more than Texas would offer. How much better can you get than that? 

Recruits - state of Texas vs. Milwaukee/Chicago. Where are their better recruits?

Local support -MU clearly the winner.

Every other school you mentioned, I agree with you. But Texas hoops program, not a step up.

mhendrick

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 09:46:02 PM »
If Buzz leaves it will break my heart. I would compare it to when Gorman Thomas left for Clevland :'(

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 09:47:07 PM »

Resources - u kidding me?  buzz gets a private jet at MU and gets paid more than Texas would offer. How much better can you get than that? 

Recruits - state of Texas vs. Milwaukee/Chicago. Where are their better recruits?

Every other school you mentioned, I agree with you. But Texas hoops program, not a step up.

Plus, Buzz is a king in Milwaukee. If the football team is winning at UT, he'd never be anything more than a prince.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 09:47:15 PM »

Resources - u kidding me?  buzz gets a private jet at MU and gets paid more than Texas would offer. How much better can you get than that?  

Oh, no you really are this delusional. You really don't know what Texas is capable of, do you?

I really don't want to go down the line and specifically refute each of your points because I don't think Marquette is much below UT at all, but the idea that UT doesn't have a private jet and that Texas doesn't have better recruits proves you really don't know.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 09:52:16 PM »
Wasn't there a ridiculous stat about how many D-1 recruits were in the city of Houston alone? Chicago is great, but I think the state of Texas has a ton more recruits.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 09:52:46 PM »
Oh, no you really are this delusional. You really don't know what Texas is capable of, do you?

I really don't want to go down the line and specifically refute each of your points because I don't think Marquette is much below UT at all, but the idea that UT doesn't have a private jet and that Texas doesn't have better recruits proves you really don't know.

This. If Texas calls he goes.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 09:58:40 PM »

[/

Before you call me delusional, perhaps you should read what I wrote and let it sink in.  I did not say Texas doesn't offer a private jet. Where do you see that. I simply said that MU does offer a jet and you can't get much better than that. Secondly, how do you define better recruits?  Those ESPN rankings?  The success of the program in the NCAA tourney?  How about the number of players in the NBA?  Depending on what criteria you use, you could argue better recruits come to MU.

I'm not looking to argue.  My only point is that a rational person can definitely make the reasonable argument that MU is a more desirable place to coach hoops, that's all.  

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2013, 10:05:51 PM »
This. If Texas calls he goes.

"He'll stay as long as Marquette will have him."

Bo Ryan's Massage Therapist

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 10:23:38 PM »
I thought this thread title was in reference to the last game day chat.  Where was everyone?
“If a player leaves Marquette and doesn’t have some of my blood in him, then I don’t think I’ve done a good job.”  Al McGuire

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2013, 10:53:53 PM »

MU is well known to have the second-highest ball budget in the nation... Sure UT is capable of outspending us... Many programs are.... But they don't.

Regarding Texas recruiting... Outside of Texas, Buzz's TX recruiting channels are a differentiator.... Inside Texas not so much. You could drop Jerry Wainwright into UT and he'd pull every top recruit.

I agree with Hunt that you can't feel bad if Buzz leaves for the job but that would be putting a lot of emphasis on coaching in your home state... Because every other part is pretty much even.

Although I will give you that top recruits are easier to get at UT than at MU.... and we all know Buzz doesn't like working hard.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2013, 11:00:19 PM »
Conference strength/stability: MU
Compensation: MU
Big Dog on Campus: MU

Buzz's religious-heavy talking points won't play as hot at a liberal state school... Can't imagine a lot of broad UW fan support of Bo Ryan constantly referencing that "only God could author a story this great..."
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

ZiggysChestHair

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 11:35:03 PM »

While I disagree with several of your points above, you forgot two important points:
1.  Like it or not, Texas has more money than Marquette
2.  Texas would spend any amount possible to trump Kansas in basketball in the Big 12

Neither of the above means Buzz would levw for Texas, but both should have you concerned over your points above.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2013, 11:52:12 PM »
When Shaka Smart got VCU into the Final Four, he could have done a plethora of moves. Hell, he was offered a head coaching job at NC State, a VAST improvement over VCU. He decided to stick with the Rams and got an 8 year deal out of it. Buzz will not leave MU for "greener pastures". MU is an elite program and he's making a Top Ten salary. Sure Texas has its benefit, but as many of you have stated, Milwaukee is his city. He is the reason why MU is what it is and the basketball program that it currently boasts. In the next two years, we could be looking at a Final Four appearances and even a National Title, who knows, but this recruiting class is out of this world. Why on Earth would anyone give up the chance to be solidified in a school's history to go coach at a school where basketball plays second fiddle?

Some of you are out of your damn minds.  

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:57:44 PM by setyoursightsnorth »

BenCat12

• Team Captain
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2013, 11:57:32 PM »
When Shaka Smart got VCU into the Final Four, he could have done a plethora of moves. Hell, he was offered a head coaching job at NC State, a VAST improvement over VCU. He decided to stick with the Rams and got an 8 year deal out of it. Buzz will not leave MU for "greener pastures". MU is an elite program and he's making a Top Ten salary.

I'm getting really sick of you people claiming he will be gone. I cannot wait for that day when this can all be put to rest and the conspiracy theories will finally stop.

The only way it is put to rest is when he actually leaves for another job.....or wins a National Championship next year....yeah, I said it.

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2013, 12:28:38 AM »

+1. He's said this countless amount of times.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2013, 12:51:01 AM »
This stuff is so tiresome.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2013, 03:47:35 AM »

Totally agree. If the money is equal or better, the chance to compete for a national championship is better at Texas. Add to it that is Buzz's home state and his recruiting base and it seems like easy math.

But, that's assuming Buzz would be the No. 1 choice and the money was equal. We will see in the next few years. I don't see another monster job opening and if UT didn't work out I can't see how/why Buzz would leave.
We Are Marquette

chren21

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2013, 04:37:04 AM »
While I disagree with several of your points above, you forgot two important points:
1.  Like it or not, Texas has more money than Marquette
2.  Texas would spend any amount possible to trump Kansas in basketball in the Big 12

Neither of the above means Buzz would levw for Texas, but both should have you concerned over your points above.

Also the simple point is this.... If indeed the numerous reports regarding buzz having a terrible relationship with both LW and father P are true, we should be very concerned if Texas came calling.  That's the simple truth.  Why MU doesn't kiss the ground he walks on is beyond me.  But I'm a 100% Buzz backer so maybe my opinion seems tainted....   Even if I question his substitution patterns every so often...  :-)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2013, 04:51:57 AM »

Thank you, Lou Perini
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2013, 05:46:38 AM »
All this "Buzz leaving" talk: Is it really that bad to coach here or Is it that many schools out there so desperate that they are willing to over pay coaches to get them there? He has built a winning program with strong support here.  Where is all this talk coming from?

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2013, 05:53:00 AM »
2.  Texas would spend any amount possible to trump Kansas in basketball in the Big 12
interesing theory... So when will they start doing that?

Bill Self - $5.2m http://www.kansascity.com/2012/09/28/3837951/ku-gives-self-contract-extension.html
Rick Barnes - $2.4m http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-longhorns/20110512-rick-barnes_salary-increase-criticized-by-texas-state-senators.ece

Note the underlying culture differences between the two schools in these articles? A 200k raise for Barnes under severe scrutiny... I'm sure they'd be thrilled to dole out a $1m raise to match what buzz makes here? In addition to his buyout?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:25:40 AM by sixstrings03 »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2013, 06:11:14 AM »

Thank you, Lou Perini

I have more faith in Buzz than what Lou Perini did.

Mark Few hasn't left.  Chris Peterson hasn't left.  Have some faith gentlemen....and if he leaves, you have a truckload of money, history, fanbase to go find another good coach.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2013, 06:36:15 AM »
The equation seems to be pretty easy on this board. So easy to troll.

1. New scooper joins
2. Pours gas on one of several fires
3. steps back to watch it blow up.

We play for a big east title tomorrow.  I am going to try savor that and the rest of this season.

If buzz leaves, he leaves.  It will suck, but sh*t happens.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2013, 06:40:36 AM »
First, and this has been said a million times ... Barnes is not getting fired!  Repeat, Barnes is not getting fired!!  This should end the thread now but consider these other things ...

* Buzz has not lived in Texas for 11 years.  (MU 6 years, NOLA 1 year, CSU 4 years).  His four kids are not Texans, they are Cheeseheads.  They were born and raised in Milwaukee.  His wife seems to be happy right here.  That matters to him.

SMU was never serious ... that was a pissing match between LW and Buzz.  

He had a chance to consider Texas A&M in the last few years and that did not materialize.

He is out out-recruiting Bo in WI and making good inroads in Chicago (see Taylor, Steve).  

Crean left because he perceived a ceiling at MU that IU did not have.  This year proves Crean right about IU.  Buzz has taken Crean's MU ceiling and raised it even higher.  At this point Buzz has almost proven Crean wrong about MU.  So, what higher ceiling does UT have over MU?  Especially considering the talent coming next year, the future talent in WI he's after, and his inroads in Chicago?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2013, 06:47:44 AM »
The nice thing about this thread is it almost surely will be the last one ever on this subject.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2013, 07:16:41 AM »
This Thread blows up to a 20 pager in 3..2..1...

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2013, 07:47:42 AM »

But, that's assuming Buzz would be the No. 1 choice and the money was equal. We will see in the next few years. I don't see another monster job opening and if UT didn't work out I can't see how/why Buzz would leave.

Exactly. I could see Shaka and Marshall above him, and they would both be significantly cheaper options.

Plus, Barnes ain't leaving this yr. Cat has what? 14 straight tourney appearances behind only KU, MSU, and Duke.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:57:32 AM by Aughnanure »

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2013, 08:26:36 AM »
Wasn't there a ridiculous stat about how many D-1 recruits were in the city of Houston alone? Chicago is great, but I think the state of Texas has a ton more recruits.

Right, but Buzz already gets guys from there.  Also, it's not like Texas is the only school down there.  Recruiting is so national now that the best guys out of Texas are still ending up at Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, etc.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2013, 08:33:38 AM »
First, a few things about Rick Barnes.  He has a career record of 558-287.  The last time he missed the NCAA tournament was '94-'95, his first year at Clemson.  He will have a losing record in the Big 12 this year, which will be his first in 15 years at Texas.  He has proven himself at every stop.

Finally, I have some good friends who are Texas fans.  Every day they talk about Mack Brown getting fired.  I ask them about Rick Barnes and they basically shrug and say "he's okay."  Not saying he's not on the hot seat, but I think he's earned some leash.  One down year doesn't erase everything he's accomplished.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2013, 08:35:17 AM »
Right, but Buzz already gets guys from there.  Also, it's not like Texas is the only school down there.  Recruiting is so national now that the best guys out of Texas are still ending up at Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, etc.

I would imagine some or many of the highly rated recruits would want to go to a school where they actually take basketball seriously. Having lived in Texas I know that football is king and it isnt even close, basketball is almost an aferthought. I would say the pecking order of sports in most parts of Texas would be:

1. college football
2. High school football
3.Nfl football
4. Pro basketball
5. college basketball

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2013, 08:38:16 AM »
On one of the UT forums it was stated that the UT admin would likely only hire a minority coach. Sorry don't have the link, but it's in one of the threads here on Scoop.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2013, 08:41:34 AM »
On one of the UT forums it was stated that the UT admin would likely only hire a minority coach. Sorry don't have the link, but it's in one of the threads here on Scoop.

UT is a super liberal school, maybe more so than Madison.  Does shaved head and quirky constitute a minority?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2013, 08:44:50 AM »
Another thing that struck me was the question about the "super conferences" forming their own Basketball tournament. Hunt thinks it's feasible that they could add High major basketball schools like MU, Gtown etc. for basketball.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2013, 08:49:41 AM »
The equation seems to be pretty easy on this board. So easy to troll.

1. New scooper joins
2. Pours gas on one of several fires
3. steps back to watch it blow up.

We play for a big east title tomorrow.  I am going to try savor that and the rest of this season.

If buzz leaves, he leaves.  It will suck, but sh*t happens.

I honestly did not mean to upset the apple cart.  Hunt's responses just struck me as a little worrisome because Hunt doesnt say "I dont know about Buzz leaving, after all, he said Ill stay as long as MU will have me."  Instead, his responses to the 'is buzz leaving questions' are "well, can you blame him?"  Coming from a paranoid fan, it's not a big deal, but, to me, it's a bigger deal if it's coming from the beat reporter who is very candid in his Q&A session.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2013, 08:51:16 AM »
Hunt knows less about the situation than most posters on this board.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2013, 08:52:28 AM »
Times like these are when I wish someone in Vegas would let me lay odds on Buzz not being at Texas next year.  I could probably put my kids through college by leveraging the amount of skepticism and doubt around here into a profit.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2013, 12:32:35 PM »
Didn't Crean say the same thing? ::)

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2013, 12:51:11 PM »
I have more faith in Buzz than what Lou Perini did.

Mark Few hasn't left.  Chris Peterson hasn't left.  Have some faith gentlemen....and if he leaves, you have a truckload of money, history, fanbase to go find another good coach.

and don't let next years class out of their LOIs.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2013, 12:59:41 PM »
If pillars and lw take away jucos I can see buzz going to friggin coppin state just for spite.  Coupled with lw firing buzz's best friend, goodman's talk how they don't get along, etc. 

tight cheeks this offseason.  We need our proven coaches to stay especially at this juncture.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2013, 01:04:20 PM »
If pillars and lw take away jucos I can see buzz going to friggin coppin state just for spite.  Coupled with lw firing buzz's best friend, goodman's talk how they don't get along, etc. 

tight cheeks this offseason.  We need our proven coaches to stay especially at this juncture.

Monarch has no one to blame but himself for getting fired.  I don't see any chance Buzz blames LW for that.  I am guessing 99.9% of ADs would have made the same call in today's NCAA environment.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2013, 01:07:18 PM »
I honestly did not mean to upset the apple cart.  Hunt's responses just struck me as a little worrisome because Hunt doesnt say "I dont know about Buzz leaving, after all, he said Ill stay as long as MU will have me."  Instead, his responses to the 'is buzz leaving questions' are "well, can you blame him?"  Coming from a paranoid fan, it's not a big deal, but, to me, it's a bigger deal if it's coming from the beat reporter who is very candid in his Q&A session.

Hunt's responses worry people because they are honest, and because he knows as little as we do.

"Well, can you blame him?" is a response that, if Buzz departed for UT for a ton of money and professed about "going home" or something like that, most of us here wouldn't blame him.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2013, 01:09:43 PM »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2013, 01:12:03 PM »
Monarch has no one to blame but himself for getting fired.  I don't see any chance Buzz blames LW for that.  I am guessing 99.9% of ADs would have made the same call in today's NCAA environment.

Not for a Tshirt.  Lets be real about this.  Should have let buzz reprimand him.  Sounded like lw went to pretty far lengths to catch monarch too.

MU B2002

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2013, 01:25:50 PM »
Not for a Tshirt.  Lets be real about this.  Should have let buzz reprimand him.  Sounded like lw went to pretty far lengths to catch monarch too.

I know this has been beaten to death, but it is irrelevant what it was over.  A shirt, a pack of peanuts, a duffle bag full of cash.  I am guessing he got fired because he lied.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2013, 01:34:04 PM »

Is there a list of offenses where it is acceptable for the AD to get involved and/or investigate?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2013, 01:38:43 PM »
Take the guy at his word but tell him if any other shirts are given out he's done.  I wouldn't have gone to surveillance cameras on this.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2013, 01:44:23 PM »
Take the guy at his word but tell him if any other shirts are given out he's done.  I wouldn't have gone to surveillance cameras on this.

In a private business, I think that would be a fine solution.

The problem is, the NCAA is the governing body, and if they find out about a violation before MU comes clean... it can lead to a lot more trouble.

PLUS: We don't really know if this was the "if it ever happens again" moment, do we? It's not like they would have gone public with the first one.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2013, 01:53:06 PM »
I know this has been beaten to death, but it is irrelevant what it was over.  A shirt, a pack of peanuts, a duffle bag full of cash.  I am guessing he got fired because he lied.

DING DING DING

The coverup is always the bigger sin and leads to the downfall.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2013, 02:14:46 PM »
When confronted about the t-shirt, supposedly he lied about it.  The crime was lying, not the t-shirt.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2013, 02:17:22 PM »
What if I just don't like LW?

Can I blame him then?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2013, 02:23:52 PM »

This.  Why did Myck Kabongo get made an example of for UT?  Not just that he did it.. he LIED.  The NCAA doesn't like lies, and will punish as such if LW hadn't.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2013, 02:27:42 PM »
Times like these are when I wish someone in Vegas would let me lay odds on Buzz not being at Texas next year.  I could probably put my kids through college by leveraging the amount of skepticism and doubt around here into a profit.

Heh... that is what prop bets are for.  My guess is you would get terrible odds..... which,, one, tells us how nobody knows what will happen.  And two tells us that Vegas wouldn't believe he leaves (this year at least).

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2013, 02:29:01 PM »
For me it's not a personal thing I don't know the man.  People want to choose sides fine I've given him credit when due.  he has had trouble keeping "the situation" in house though.  Others smell blood in the water so we shouldn't be surprised if national writers have buzz to ..... all this offseason.  These clowns on the local radio aren't enough to make me worry though.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2013, 02:39:32 PM »
For me it's not a personal thing I don't know the man.  People want to choose sides fine I've given him credit when due.  he has had trouble keeping "the situation" in house though.  Others smell blood in the water so we shouldn't be surprised if national writers have buzz to ..... all this offseason.  These clowns on the local radio aren't enough to make me worry though.

I'm not worried about people giving Larry credit. Honestly, I have NO IDEA how much influence he had with C7 stuff. Maybe none, honestly.

But, you seem to out-of-hand believe that Larry wronged Buzz and Monarch... and truthfully, you don't know exactly how it went down... so why do you assume LW is the bad guy?