Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: At least we made Deadspin...  (Read 3737 times)

🏀

• All American
At least we made Deadspin...
« on: March 02, 2008, 11:05:49 AM »
http://deadspin.com/362762/georgetown+marquette-eventually-reaches-exciting-conclusion

They have a video of the last couple of minutes that lasted 10.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
Re: At least we made Deadspin...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 11:15:03 AM »
What I found interesting was Clark Kellogg's comment in the last seconds of OT: "I would not foul immediately."

When in fact, MU was stuck with little time left (9.1 seconds).

And now that I was able to see the end of OT (I missed it in transit), DJ mismanaged those seconds. He should have seen the double team coming and looked to pass the rock off. But that split personality of his, wanting to be a hero, contributed to the loss.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 11:17:44 AM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 11:33:24 AM »
What I found interesting was Clark Kellogg's comment in the last seconds of OT: "I would not foul immediately."

And now that I was able to see the end of OT (I missed it in transit), DJ mismanaged those seconds. He should have seen the double team coming and looked to pass the rock off. But that split personality of his, wanting to be a hero, contributed to the loss.

I am going off memory but I believe GT had DJ bracketed.  Hayward was running to a spot on the wing and was looking away.  McNeal was on the other wing.  DJ should have tried to split the bracket by using his quickness.  Otherwise he should have tried to pass to McNeal on the wing before he crossed half court and allowed McNeal to drive to the hoop. 

Also TC mentioned that the play called for a pick at half court but I don't recall any other MU player near the area.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 11:53:39 AM »

I am going off memory but I believe GT had DJ bracketed.  Hayward was running to a spot on the wing and was looking away.  McNeal was on the other wing.  DJ should have tried to split the bracket by using his quickness.  Otherwise he should have tried to pass to McNeal on the wing before he crossed half court and allowed McNeal to drive to the hoop. 

Also TC mentioned that the play called for a pick at half court but I don't recall any other MU player near the area.

I rechecked the video:
- no pick was set
- DJ wasn't double-teamed, but bracketed like you said
- DJ was dribbling towards a player close to the sideline thus getting bracketed
- it seems that Lazar had his hands up at the three point line
- it was a BAAAAAAAAAAAAD shot attempt by DJ
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 12:06:07 PM »

Uhm...if he wanted to be the hero then why didn't he take the shot...wouldn't that be the hero thing to do?   ::)

Seems to me it's fairly odd to play psychologist and decide #1 if he has a split personality and #2 what his intentions are.  But if we do play along with your theory, why didn't he just take it to the hoop to be the hero or take a 3 pointer to win the game to be the hero?  I don't think what he did at the end was a shot attempt.....let alone a baaaaaad shot attempt.  It simply wasn't a shot attempt, thus making no sense with your hero comment.  He passed it to McNeal and it went out of bounds.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 12:14:06 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

romey

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 12:12:52 PM »
What's really diheartening is just not even getting a shot off at the end.  We had plenty of time.

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
That was the hardest thing to watch
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 12:17:33 PM »
O my god we had that game and let it slip away.

That Burke Block call was horrible at least a no call!!!!

The DJ foul happened but it should only have been 2 shots

WOW I DID NOT WANT TO RELIVE THAT. The sad part is that all the Badger fans are laughing at us, even though we beat them and they would lost by 15 to G-town.  Their is no way Butch could ever guard Hibbert

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 12:29:23 PM »
Don't know if we are ready for silver linings, but heck Trevor is getting better every game.  Burke played like a warrior and Ouse is always solid.  We were up against a 7'-2" Goliath yesterday.  If we can hang with a team like GT we can hang with anyone.  Next time, maybe lakdy luck will be kinder to us.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: That was the hardest thing to watch
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 12:34:57 PM »

WOW I DID NOT WANT TO RELIVE THAT. The sad part is that all the Badger fans are laughing at us, even though we beat them and they would lost by 15 to G-town.  Their is no way Butch could ever guard Hibbert

Who gives a crap what the Badger fans think....they play in the 6th rated conference, they have a weaker schedule then ours, they lost to us ON THEIR HOME COURT, the Big East beat the Big Ten head to head this year, etc, etc.

They have NOTHING to crow about...NOTHING.  Do you think we would lose more than 2 games in that God awful league this year?  Do you think Wisconsin would win at Louisville, at UCONN, at ND...hell they couldn't even beat us on their home court.

romey

• All American
Re: That was the hardest thing to watch
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 12:37:59 PM »

Who gives a crap what the Badger fans think....they play in the 6th rated conference, they have a weaker schedule then ours, they lost to us ON THEIR HOME COURT, the Big East beat the Big Ten head to head this year, etc, etc.

They have NOTHING to crow about...NOTHING.  Do you think we would lose more than 2 games in that God awful league this year?  Do you think Wisconsin would win at Louisville, at UCONN, at ND...hell they couldn't even beat us on their home court.

Love the passion Chicos.

Ya know what's funny, I HATE the Badgers this year more than any other year that I can recall.  They just love themselves too much.  I would love to see them run into a buzzsaw and be one and done in the tourney - by like 20 points.

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
I almost did the unthinkable after the game
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 12:55:29 PM »
This was the first time where I should have handed the Keys over for a reason other than me being intoxicated.

So Anyways I am in this huge tizzy after the game (I have a broken radio to proof it) that I never should have been driving.

Right Out in front of me a 16 year old Teenager with a Franklin HS Jacket and a Badger Hat and Shirt looks at me and just points to his UW hat (I could have sworn we played Georgetown earlier that day but whatever) He had this stupid crap eating grin on his face.
I than felt rage in my heart that I never experienced rage that would have withstood a tazer shot to the groin.  I looked at the kid walking in the cross walk and I swear to god I wanted to put my car into drive so bad and just run over the kids leg.

I controlled myself and instead of running him over i rolled down the window and called a 16 year old kid something that rhymes with Bunt and Runt.   

The one thing I hate about Milwaukee are the mouth breathers who live a few miles from the stadium and have to cheer for the Badgers.  The one thing I always here is that "Wisconsonites just cant get behind a group of students that they have nothing in common with"  Really??

You are telling me that Bob Kruzninskhy who works on the production line at Ladisch in Cudahy has less in common with a Marquette student than a "Know it All College Hippie" from Madison who goes visits Australia for Study Abroad and burns the American Flag???
To be honest the "White Collar better than  thou Marquette students who are stuffed shirt and conservative and believe that Bob who works in a blue collar job is less than them" also has nothing in common with Bob, but at least we are in the same city.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 01:08:31 PM »
NAteDogg

I am embarrassed to be an alum from the same school as you.

romey

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 01:09:12 PM »
Nate Dogg, I couldn't agree more.  What is this blind obsession with the Badgers????

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 01:17:40 PM »
NAteDogg

I am embarrassed to be an alum from the same school as you.

What should have I done Iriwn gave the kid the Presidents Award for Physical Fitness????

Would you rather of had me run over the kids leg instead of calling him the name that he deserved because I could have done that instead but than I would be in Jail for a Felony.

Listen buddy the game meant a lot for me and I was upset, was I stupid and not in my right mind at that point?  Yea of course I wasnt, but nobody got hurt, your degree didnt suddenly lose its value because I did something stupid.

Where were you last year Irwin when that MU grad actually did cause bodily harm to somebody when he punched a 62 year old sportscaster in the face??  and Kopeck wasnt even egging the kid on??

WhereisGeraldPosey

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
Serenity Now, Serenity Now. 

mwbauer7

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 12:06:54 AM »
Nate, Dogg,

Serious statement, not using sarcasm font color: While I, and probably some others on the board, enjoy your creativity (mouth breathers, Presidential award for physical fitness) Georgetown is a good team (picked to win the BE). As someone mentioned earlier:  our leading scorer didn't score, we shot poorly from the line, and allowed Hibbert and Wallace to score 20 points each and yet we were still a questionable call away from winning.

Lets see how this team fares in the NCAA tournament. I have a feeling we'll be pleased.