Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blaudschun: Big East to sell name to C7, split on 7/1/14  (Read 6919 times)

🏀

• All American
Blaudschun: Big East to sell name to C7, split on 7/1/14
« on: December 17, 2012, 09:28:07 PM »
http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=4420

Sell the name “”Big East”" to the basketball schools after getting some assurances from the NCAA that the cost of losing the Big East name will not cost them too much in the lucrative NCAA basketball tournament. If the name is sold to the new Big East, the old Big East will petition the NCAA to get a 32nd guaranteed spot for its champion.

Aresco is  unlikely to do this until after next season since the Big East name still has a guaranteed BCS bowl slot for one more year if it can maintain its composition.

After the bowl games are played next season, then the old Big East can fade into oblivion in terms of its name.

The 7 Catholic schools have expressed a desire to leave as early as next season, but the most likely compromise that will be worked out is to give the Catholic schools the name Big East, collect a minimal exit fee which would then allow both leagues to begin operation on July 1, 2014, with new identities and focuses.

“Everyone is trying to make this as amicable a separation as possible,” said one Big East source familiar with the discussions “The Catholic schools were uncomfortable with the way the wind was blowing with more changes that seem to be coming and everyone understands that.  It was just time to move.”

The moves the Big East and the Catholic schools make will come in increments, with a series of announcements and decisions being made over the next several weeks.

Avenue Commons

• All American
Re: Blaudschun: Big East to sell name to C7, split on 7/1/14
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 09:29:35 PM »
Like the sale of the name, but would rather just get after it after this season.
We Are Marquette

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 09:33:15 PM »
Like the sale of the name, but would rather just get after it after this season.

Yeah, but figure Louisville has to play next year too, right? I'd rather they take the time to set the thing up instead of rushing it together for Fall sports.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 09:34:11 PM »

If we have the C7 and 3 of Xavier, Butler, Dayton, Creighton, SLU, etc. AND the Big East name AND keep MSG for Big East tourney, we would truly be making the best of a bad situation.
We Are Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 09:37:37 PM »

Moving on right away would be sweet, just not as sweet as avoiding lawsuits over the split while knowing that the C7+ keep the Big East name.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:39:42 PM by LittleMurs »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 09:45:52 PM »
As long as they move quickly to set the date I'm ok with the one stupid conference year.  Just got to make sure our coaches can give the recruits a name when they wonder what conference they will be playing in if they come to MU since "Catholic schools that we're trying to de-emphasize Catholicism and emphasize basketball commitment as the common thread" doesn't roll off the tongue.  Still, if the 5 new teams enter and Rutgers, Louisville and ND are in for 2014 too there is going to be a lot of fighting over the schedule...Pitt and Syracuse had issues with BE-SEC challenge inclusion and games, if a departing school has to play a newly entering school twice, or 3 on the road but only 2 at home...there's just going to be quabbling over every perceived slight that I'd guess the departing schools will try to use as bargaining chips.

The Process

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 09:47:31 PM »
If true, I have but one question:

HOW MUCH DANCING WILL BUZZ BE DOING NEXT SEASON??? ;D
Relax. Respect the Process.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 12:03:30 PM »
As much as I'm ready to move on, it's not the worst thing to play UConn, Louisville, Cincy and Notre Dame for another year, especially if it gives everyone some time to get the new league set up right.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 12:45:25 PM »
does the current league have a contract in place for next year? or does it expire this summer?

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 12:51:55 PM »
I don't care about the name Big East. The Big East is dead. I'm much more concerned with our new conferences post season tournament location. They can have Big East. Give us MSG.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 12:56:39 PM »
I think it would be a Big mistake to start a conf with a new name when you can keep one that has name recogntion.  Would you prefer we do something like the ECC (east Coast Conf).  I think anything new we might choose would sound very strange.

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 01:10:22 PM »
I don't care about the name Big East. The Big East is dead. I'm much more concerned with our new conferences post season tournament location. They can have Big East. Give us MSG.

Totally agree. I was listening to Doris Burke last night and she was even against using the Big East name for the new conference....and she's a die-hard Providence alum. She said the brand has been soiled and its simply not the BE everyone has known since 1979. On top of that, it now has a negative perception among sports fans. Yes, I understand that that negative perception is due to football and not basketball, but the composition of the new conference will be drastically different. The BET telecast is always littered with highlights from previous years. What highlights are they going to show going forward? The 6-overtime game that was played by two members that are no longer affiliated with the conference? How many Providence, SHU and SJU highlights even exist that arent from the 80's?

Im fine with MSG so long as every game sells out. Otherwise, the perception of the new conference will take a hit in the media. How many times do you want to hear, "This isnt the BE everyone once knew. This tournament used to be unquestionably the best ever."

chapman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 01:17:17 PM »
I don't care about the name either and and see how much it's been soiled.  I guess I'd defer to Doris the the other Providence, Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova, and Seton Hall people to put a value on and make the call.  They're the ones that have had the name for 30 years, not us and DePaul.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 01:35:58 PM »
The C7 are actually following the original intent of the Big East.   Keeping the name and  the tourney rights is huge, symbolically.    It won't be exactly the same and, at least in the short term, the league will not be as strong as it was in the 80's or recently.    But it would still be an immense coup. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 01:52:54 PM »
This is the right play, take a year to dot the i's and cross the t's.  Roll out the new league/brand/setup in 2014 and make a big splash.  Should also be a good year for the teams as most of the C7 teams are young and should be good in 2014, especially MU.

Plus you can make sure to get the right partners to fill the conference out to 12 teams and sign as lucrative a tv contract as possible.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 02:28:23 PM »
Apparently some people are forgetting as recently as two years ago the Big East put 11 teams on the NCAA tourney and produced that season's champion. There's nothing wrong with the Big East name that can't be fixed. Going forward there won't really be any more negative stories (school defections) but rather positive news about the conference as it will be going back to it's original vision, adding new quality members, etc. I find it funny the media people saying the Big East is a dying brand all seem to be employed by ESPN.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 02:36:22 PM »
Apparently some people are forgetting as recently as two years ago the Big East put 11 teams on the NCAA tourney and produced that season's champion. There's nothing wrong with the Big East name that can't be fixed. Going forward there won't really be any more negative stories (school defections) but rather positive news about the conference as it will be going back to it's original vision, adding new quality members, etc. I find it funny the media people saying the Big East is a dying brand all seem to be employed by ESPN.
I couldn't disagree more. If we keep the name, every mention of the Big East will be followed by talk of how great it once was, a shadow of its former self, etc.

Start a new tradition!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 02:40:50 PM »
I couldn't disagree more. If we keep the name, every mention of the Big East will be followed by talk of how great it once was, a shadow of its former self, etc.

Start a new tradition!

Like, Golden Eagles

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 02:41:07 PM »
Totally agree. I was listening to Doris Burke last night and she was even against using the Big East name for the new conference....and she's a die-hard Providence alum. She said the brand has been soiled and its simply not the BE everyone has known since 1979. On top of that, it now has a negative perception among sports fans. Yes, I understand that that negative perception is due to football and not basketball, but the composition of the new conference will be drastically different. The BET telecast is always littered with highlights from previous years. What highlights are they going to show going forward? The 6-overtime game that was played by two members that are no longer affiliated with the conference? How many Providence, SHU and SJU highlights even exist that arent from the 80's?

Im fine with MSG so long as every game sells out. Otherwise, the perception of the new conference will take a hit in the media. How many times do you want to hear, "This isnt the BE everyone once knew. This tournament used to be unquestionably the best ever."

I've got news for those people. Even in the good ol' days, all Big East tourney games did not sell out. I've watched numerous games—and couldn't help but notice that plenty of good seats were available at MSG. That's true for all conference tourneys.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 03:08:41 PM »
I've got news for those people. Even in the good ol' days, all Big East tourney games did not sell out. I've watched numerous games—and couldn't help but notice that plenty of good seats were available at MSG. That's true for all conference tourneys.

It's sold out but people don't use every ticket in the package or stay for their entire session. It's more of no butts in seats but every ticket is sold.
But I like to throw handfuls...

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 03:12:05 PM »

Start a new tradition!

Not every mention by the C7 TV rights partner.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 03:19:23 PM »
It's sold out but people don't use every ticket in the package or stay for their entire session. It's more of no butts in seats but every ticket is sold.

Syracuse's games were sold out.  Villanova's games were well attended as were Pitt and WVU.  ND also has game on the East Coast.  MU vs. SLU would be a tough sell....

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 03:37:33 PM »
Like, Golden Eagles
That is what I see as the problem. What name do we use besides Big East. I do not think the Big East name is that important, but we would not want to use Great Midwest.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 10:14:51 PM »
That is what I see as the problem. What name do we use besides Big East. I do not think the Big East name is that important, but we would not want to use Great Midwest.

I vote for The Rock. Or The ROC (Really Omnipotent Conference). And the league symbol can be a basketball.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 11:38:16 PM »
As much as I'm ready to move on, it's not the worst thing to play UConn, Louisville, Cincy and Notre Dame for another year, especially if it gives everyone some time to get the new league set up right.

Ageed - I believe with everything settled a farewell year with historic memories would be great. 
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2012, 08:26:01 AM »
If true, what a great birthday gift!
SS Marquette