* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by BLWarrior91
[Today at 08:41:56 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Trevor Powell---Where is he now?  (Read 38508 times)

mdubs

• Walk-On
Trevor Powell---Where is he now?
« on: June 08, 2009, 03:57:57 PM »
With Bob Dukiet passing, I started to think about players from my era at MU; namely, Trevor Powell.  He was the absolute glue that held the Warriors together.  MU was a mess---Candelino, Luerke, Nethen, Pops Sims (circa 1987), Flory, Hayes, Baldwin, Anglavar, Posey, Grosse.  Most were good enough people, but in no way were they D1 athletes.  Thank God for Tony Smith.  Hayes was playing at the rec and he became a real part of the team.  If that happened today, we would storm the AL and ask for Buzz’s head on a platter.  Granted, you may get lucky and run across a Dave Winfield, but the rec was part of MU’s recruiting strategy. OK, a joke, but we did get at least 2 players at the rec who played significant minutes in the late 80s.

I know Powell went on the play in France.  Did he come back to Milwaukee?  How come he never gets any love from the current regime?

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
Re: Trevor Powell---Where is he now?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 08:33:17 PM »
saw john wolf at an aau tourney a few weeks ago.  Talk about sucking that talent back then was mid major at best heck i remeber one year we got swept by Butler back when getting swept by Butler was atrue embarrasment took our share of lumps from Evansville too.  that is why i rate oneill significantly hight than Crean.  Cream could never have done what KO did.  a true resurrection of almost biblical proportions ...Crean was Deanish in my book yet with more pomp and DWAde. 

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 08:51:29 PM »
Trevor came back to finish his degree around 05-06. Not sure of the exact range, or if he did end up finishing, but I had a Comm. class with him in the fall of 2005.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 09:14:43 PM »
I would kill for Mark Anglavar's  shot on last years team. Ty Baldwin not athletic?
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 09:48:37 PM »
Rod Grosse was a highly rated recruit that did not improve. That is the wild card with all recruits.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 06:40:13 AM »
From what I remember, Hayes either had a scholarship to play ball somewhere (I think it was DII, or a low DI) but choose to attend MU.  He hadn't planned on playing basketball, but like you said was "recruit" from the Rec Center.  I know back in the late 80's the basketball team used to show up at the Rec Center to play "pick-up" games before the season started, Hayes was one of the players that always got picked to be part of those games because of his ability.

On another note, I remember distinctly playing in one of those "pick-up" games where I foolishly tried to take a charge from Jon Leurk who had decided after passing mid-court that he was going to dunk the ball.  Ouch!

And, you are correct, Trevor held the team together from his sophomore season on.  I swear I've never seen so many fade away jumpers in my life from one player, but he got it done.  Anglavar doesn't get much love, but I can tell you first hand other teams hated him because he was pretty damn good from deep.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 10:17:17 AM »
anglavar was a good shooter for sure but did he have any handles?  did he have D1 athleticism name a C-USa or BE 2 guard over the last 20 years that he could have stayed in front of...additinally he weifghed maybe 175?

Trevor had a sweet little baseline jumper but if you will remeber did nothing his senior year after the drive draw and dish assists from Tony Smith were no longer there.

Luerck and Wolf were NAIA talents and were at there best drinking at OD's. 

Also grosee was never higly recruited ...time clouds the memory...he was a bad bad player that got over recruited by Mu because of his size again maybe 190 lbs. 

Ty Baldwin was abig time player and was by far my favorite player of that time.  we were half way decent the year we had ty, Trvor and tony and played very well against alot of good teams were had a big time independent schedule bak then but always seemed to run out of gas and lose it at the end.  it was 3 versus 12 with a few 3 balls yet nothing else from anglavar

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 12:02:54 PM »
And we would have beaten UW at home that year had Ty not stepped over the timeline.  He was a good ball player.  Had a nice game against Penn State in the NIT.  Charles Luter was my favorite player....skinniest D1 player ever!  But before the knee injury, that dude could get up.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 12:06:56 PM »
The thing I remember most about Trevor was that a friend of mine used to call him Travel Foul.  I don't remember if that was truly deserved.

Tulsa Warrior

• Team Captain
Rod Grosse
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 12:46:36 PM »
Majerus recruited Rod Grosse and I think gave his high school buddy a full scholarship to be team manager.  :'(

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 01:12:39 PM »
Charles Luter had a ton of talent. Of all the guys mentioned I think he had the most upside but injury killed his chances.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 10:10:43 PM »
thanks for reminding me of the backcourt violation against UW absolutely heartbreaking ...that and the blocking foul called aginst Pieper in the Nit final were two absolute heartbreakers.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 11:11:10 PM »
saw john wolf at an aau tourney a few weeks ago.  Talk about sucking that talent back then was mid major at best heck i remeber one year we got swept by Butler back when getting swept by Butler was atrue embarrasment took our share of lumps from Evansville too.  that is why i rate oneill significantly hight than Crean.  Cream could never have done what KO did.  a true resurrection of almost biblical proportions ...Crean was Deanish in my book yet with more pomp and DWAde.  

I think you're forgetting that it was O'Neill's team that got swept by Butler (his 2nd season, 90-91).

Outside of being a better recruiter, I don't see his coaching was significantly better than Dukiet.

O'Neill's 2nd season of 11-18 was almost exactly the same as Bob Dukiet's 2nd season of 10-18.  And don't forget--with Key, McIlvaine, and Logtermann as frosh, Curry as a 3rd year Soph and Trevor Powell as a senior that year--O'Neill's talent level was SIGNIFICANTLY better.  THAT'S the team that was swept by Butler.  Not Dukiet's holdovers.  

You claim that Marquette had a "true resurrection," however one has to wonder what shape MU was truly in for O'Neill to believe that "greener pastures" consisted of a 5-22 Never-Was team buried in last place in the SEC.   The mere fact that O'Neil left MU for Tennessee sent a MAJOR message about MU basketball--and it wasn't "MU is Back".  Not to mention that O'Neill wasn't just content to leave--he publicly dissed MU on the way out.

Hell, O'Neill didn't resurrect MU--he damn near cemented its reputation as Stepping-Stone U!  

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 11:13:55 PM by Marquette84 »

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 07:05:04 AM »
O'Neil left due to money, period.  What is it that he said?  That the contract he signed with MU wasn't worth wiping his (blank) with.  After leading MU to success, he wanted a raise, MU wasn't ready yet.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 02:25:15 PM by lurch91 »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 07:37:51 AM »
thanks for reminding me of the backcourt violation against UW absolutely heartbreaking ...that and the blocking foul called aginst Pieper in the Nit final were two absolute heartbreakers.

Especially for Ty Baldwin.  We talked about that and he was really, really bummed out.

I imagine Lazar felt the same disappointment (x10) after the Missouri game.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2009, 11:20:07 AM »
I think you're forgetting that it was O'Neill's team that got swept by Butler (his 2nd season, 90-91).

Outside of being a better recruiter, I don't see his coaching was significantly better than Dukiet.

O'Neill's 2nd season of 11-18 was almost exactly the same as Bob Dukiet's 2nd season of 10-18.  And don't forget--with Key, McIlvaine, and Logtermann as frosh, Curry as a 3rd year Soph and Trevor Powell as a senior that year--O'Neill's talent level was SIGNIFICANTLY better.  THAT'S the team that was swept by Butler.  Not Dukiet's holdovers.  

You claim that Marquette had a "true resurrection," however one has to wonder what shape MU was truly in for O'Neill to believe that "greener pastures" consisted of a 5-22 Never-Was team buried in last place in the SEC.   The mere fact that O'Neil left MU for Tennessee sent a MAJOR message about MU basketball--and it wasn't "MU is Back".  Not to mention that O'Neill wasn't just content to leave--he publicly dissed MU on the way out.

Hell, O'Neill didn't resurrect MU--he damn near cemented its reputation as Stepping-Stone U!  

MU84

i have to hand it to you just when you have people thinking you could not be any dumber you rip off a new beauty.  Wow!!  reread your post and then say it to any sane MU fan and like your recruiting theory they will laugh in your face.

Not only was Oneill a good coach but he realized what all truly good coaches KNOW...and that is that 95% (and I maybe putting the number too low) of being a good coach is recruiting the best available players. 

as afar as technical coaching Mike deane was by far the best tactician that Mu has had in the last 30 years...with no recruiting look where that got him. 

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 01:04:38 PM »

MU84

i have to hand it to you just when you have people thinking you could not be any dumber you rip off a new beauty.  Wow!!  reread your post and then say it to any sane MU fan and like your recruiting theory they will laugh in your face.

Not only was Oneill a good coach but he realized what all truly good coaches KNOW...and that is that 95% (and I maybe putting the number too low) of being a good coach is recruiting the best available players.  

as afar as technical coaching Mike deane was by far the best tactician that Mu has had in the last 30 years...with no recruiting look where that got him.  

The only person ripping off beauties is your inexplicable love for O'Neill. Your BFF O'Neill came damn close to successfully relegating MU to permanent mid-major status.

First, he doesn't do any rebuilding of recruiting pipelines or develop long-standing relationships with HS coaches or AAU teams--he simply reloads, mostly in the first two years, then is a recruiting nomad, moving from Wisconsin, on to Illinois, digging up whatever he can find in Georgia or Canada or East Jabip, Michigan.  

Then, he leaves, without leaving even a hint of a qualified heir apparent and certainly no strongly established recruiting pipeline, and giving the nation the impression that MU must be pretty pathetic if a never-was like Tennessee looks better.

Second, knowing that he left no strong recruiting pipeline in place, O'Neill recommends that we hire his buddy Deane--the worst recruiter in MU history.  At worst, he intentionally recommended a poor recruiter ensure that his success looks like a fluke that cant' be recreated.  At best, he's an idiot for recommending such a poor recruiter to come into a job where there was no strong recruiting base established, and no strong ties to any talent hotbed.  

Third, for all your blather about Crean being a dick, O'Neill was no better--whether it was the inability to have a child sit within earshot to his tendency to treat almus like crap at banquets and events to his ripping MU fans about their "unrealistic expectations" or stupid rivalries with Notre Dame and Wisconsin.  And this was his public face!  All of Crean's supposed sins are in private to people who actually deserve it.  

Finally, he sends the message through his actions that MU is nothing but a stepping stone to him, AND he publicly rips MU and its fans AFTER HE LEFT!!!  MU did nothing to mistreat him, and gave him a golden opportunity to have a great career.  What thanks did he give us?  

Did he have the class to thank MU and it's fans for five great years?  No.  

Did he have the common sense just to shut up and move on  Hell no!

Instead, his new job secure and the Illinois/Wisconsin state line safely in his rear view mirror, he sends Marquette and Milwaukee a big F-You as his parting gift.  Again, contrast that with your hated Crean--is there a single quote from Crean ripping MU?  Complaining about our fans expectations?  

I guess O'Neill couldn't really sell "It's Tennessee, It's Tennessee" to anyone, so he had to rip on MU and make us look bad in order to make taking that job look better.

Only years later, after his career and marriage fall apart, does he come grovelling back--"oh, I didn't know how good I had it"-- looking for saps like you, who lick it up like a kid eating an ice cream cone.

As I said above, I'll give him props for recruiting--he was at least equal to Crean in that regard.  But otherwise, he isn't the saint you make him out to be.  Average coach, terrible demeanor, and actually tried to knock MU down a notch as he left. Hardly deserving of the praise you slobber all over him.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 01:07:19 PM by Marquette84 »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 01:53:34 PM »
Third, for all your blather about Crean being a dick, O'Neill was no better--whether it was the inability to have a child sit within earshot to his tendency to treat almus like crap at banquets and events to his ripping MU fans about their "unrealistic expectations" or stupid rivalries with Notre Dame and Wisconsin.  And this was his public face!  All of Crean's supposed sins are in private to people who actually deserve it.

I'll take the middle ground on this one.  Overall, I think O'Neill did a pretty nice job for Marquette and helped get us started on the road back to respectability.  But, I only had one in-person experience with O'Neill (at a MU club lunch or some similar)...and he really was a jerk to me.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2009, 02:22:58 PM »
Gonna give a big +1 to MU84 here.

I also think it speaks volumes that Crean's friends from here (Cords and the like) support him in his new gig.  You never saw that with O'Neill.  Speaks volumes.

And I'm not saying Crean was a saint.  Most college coaches at any level that I have run across are pretty dickish.  But I think it is ridiculous to say that O'Neill did a better job with the program than Crean.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 10:17:17 AM »
what our unmedicated poster (marquette84) actually said was that Dukiet was as good as Oneill.   

That was the stupidity that i referred to....additionally in your diatribe about Oneill leaving no recruiting trail  and being all over the place....ahh what legacy did your revered Crean leave with us?  and Oneill made MU look like a stepping stone...and Crean did not?.

Please put down the pipe, the argument of whether Oneill or Crean was better is like arguing politics, there are alot of great points on both sides.  However for Marquette 84 to argue Dukiet was better than Oneill is right out of his recruiting theory....retarded.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 10:20:17 AM »
what our unmedicated poster (marquette84) actually said was that Dukiet was as good as Oneill.   

That was the stupidity that i referred to....additionally in your diatribe about Oneill leaving no recruiting trail  and being all over the place....ahh what legacy did your revered Crean leave with us?  and Oneill made MU look like a stepping stone...and Crean did not?.

Well, one could at least argue that jumping to Indiana is a lot more prestigious than jumping to Tennessee.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 11:35:13 AM »
KO took us from damn near division 2 level to the sweet 16.  For that I will always hold him in high regard.  On a personal level I would take his honesty (sometimes brutally honest and maybe a little too profane) over Mr disingenous.  That being said, although I never liked Crean I do appreciate what he did for the program.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2009, 12:09:10 PM »
KO took us from damn near division 2 level to the sweet 16.  For that I will always hold him in high regard.  On a personal level I would take his honesty (sometimes brutally honest and maybe a little too profane) over Mr disingenous.  That being said, although I never liked Crean I do appreciate what he did for the program.

+1

O'Neil didn't like his contract and MU wouldn't give him an extension, so he let it run it's course, then left.  Better then being fleeced every April.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2009, 12:20:48 PM »
+1

O'Neil didn't like his contract and MU wouldn't give him an extension, so he let it run it's course, then left.  Better then being fleeced every April.

Was oneil's contract really up? Or did he just leave because his contract was extended/raised? I assume he was still actually under contract when he left.

Very few coaches leave a school "gracefully", so I don't really hold that against him... just want to be clear about it.

Al's situation (for example) worked out amazingly well... but had they lost in the 1st round I'm certain some people would have claimed that his early retirement announcement was a distraction to the team and ripped him for it.

What's my point? It's extremely rare and very difficult for a coach to truly leave on good terms. There is always a wound and some required healing time.

Oneil's departure has healed, so people cut him some slack and remember him fondly. Crean's situation is different, but 10 years from now the wounds will have healed and people will probably remember him with (mostly) fond memories.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2009, 12:35:42 PM »
There is no way people will remember Crean fondly. The difference between he and O'Neill - as somebody correctly pointed out - was that KO wasn't an absolute phony. He was who he was. I actually believe even those who back Crean would secretly acknowledge he remains a loathsome person. O'Neill might have been prickly, but he was funny as hell. Crean has none of that. He's just a jerk. Even the employees at the Bradley Center hated him AND Joanie. I have first hand knowledge of that. And we've heard about basketball camp. THere were hundreds of MU alums in attendance!

I also 100 percent believe that SJS is either a family member, former neighbor or some other associate waging a pathetic rehabilitation campaign which is actually causing more harm than good.

Literally, the only chance Crean has at rehabbing his image within the next 10 years -- if ever -- is if there was a coordinated movement by former players. And I don't believe that's going to happen. We will find out in 2013, that's for sure. I hope he shows his face at a reunion where he will absolutely get booed out of the building.

By the way, there are many guys who transferred from Marquette who would be welcomed with open arms. So does Majerus, who quit. I would wager Mike Deane would get a rousing ovation from MU faithful.

It's not MU fans. It's Crean.