Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sam Hauser against Bucks  (Read 25061 times)

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
Re: Sam Hauser against Bucks
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2022, 09:19:27 PM »
When the Hausers left, a ton of minutes opened up for Jamal and Bailey, the two players who probably would’ve departed if Sam and Joey stayed. 

Let’s face it, Marquette was the best Jamal was ever going to do, and by his sophomore year, he’d very likely figured that out.  Heck, look where he ended his career.  I’m not surprised he stuck around to get big minutes at a major college basketball school.

I agree with this. Over the years we've time and time again seen incredibly athletic guys with low BB IQs who need more than the college experience to figure things out. Juan Anderson is the best example of this, and Jamal fits that bill as well. I assumed OMax was another one of those guys too, but I do think he improved throughout the season and will prove me wrong. I disagreed a lot about how Wojo coached, but I don't think he was wrong about the time he allotted to Jamal. Hopefully Jamal is able to continue growing and can maximize his athleticism.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2022, 09:51:25 PM »
I agree with this analysis.  They simply didn’t want to play with Markus another year, and that’s totally reasonable.  People call the Hausers selfish, but can you imagine the hellfire and brimstone Markus and his family would’ve brought down upon Wojo if he’d reigned Markus in even a little bit?

There’s a reason Marquette wasn’t able to recruit any good guards while Markus was here.  No one wants to play with a guy like that.
Markus kept Marquette relevant, in the headlines. AA, national POY candidate. If I was a pt guard, I’d love playing with Markus Howard. An easy 10-15 assists per.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2022, 09:55:46 PM »
They didn’t like Wojo’s handling, or lack thereof, of an injured Markus’ usage down the stretch.
That didn't really answer the question, they would have stayed if Markus went pro. That has nothing to do with what you're saying.
Goal is National Championship

panda

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2022, 07:57:05 AM »
That didn't really answer the question, they would have stayed if Markus went pro. That has nothing to do with what you're saying.

To clarify - they didn’t trust how Wojo dealt with their complaints about Markus dominating the ball, most specifically when injured.

Sam and Joey stay if Markus leaves. That’s been very much established over the years. All trust between coach and Sam/Joey wasn’t lost.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2022, 08:04:22 AM »
I'm sure Markus was a convenient excuse for Joey to blame his dissatisfaction on (and for Sam to support his little bro on). The issue wasn't Markus, it was that Joey should have gone to Michigan State in the first place. That happens and Sam graduates from MU with no issues. Hell, Joey may have even transferred here if he had a rough first year under Izzo.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2022, 08:25:59 AM »
All I know is, give me a Sam Hauser every year at MU and I would be a happy fan. He is one of my all time post Al favorite players.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2022, 08:35:33 AM »
All I know is, give me a Sam Hauser every year at MU and I would be a happy fan. He is one of my all time post Al favorite players.

0 Tourney wins in 3 years at MU, then transfers to the defending national champion, playing for a Hall of Fame coach, and shoots 4/16 from the field, clanks a wide open 3 pointer that would've sent the game into overtime in a loss to 14 seed Ohio in the opening round of the Tourney at UVA.

PASS!  I like winning Tournament games.  Sam didn't help any team do that.  His transferring out of MU turned him into a nobody at MU, and he was always going to be a nobody being a one and done following up the first ever national title team at UVA.

Plus spent an extra year not being paid to play basketball, and still went undrafted.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2022, 08:44:31 AM »

Really?  Why?

I mean he was a decent player who exceeded expectations when he got here, and I guess was second team all BE in 2019, but the dude left the program without making much of a mark at all.  I get why people like the guy, but he is WAY down on my list of favorite post Al players.  I doubt he would even crack the top 30.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2022, 08:49:01 AM »
No Balls Woj may still be at MU had he handled the entire Hauser/Howard clusterfook like a coach instead of a poosay. I know its not popular to praise Sam, but I will. Love his approach and knowledge of the game, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2022, 08:57:42 AM »
The problem is that you are using Sam as a proxy for your feelings about Wojo.  Which is weird.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2022, 09:02:06 AM »
The problem is that you are using Sam as a proxy for your feelings about Wojo.  Which is weird.

Best letter-writer of the post-Al era.
But yeah, this is 100 percent it. And yeah, it's weird, but meat eaters gonna meat eat.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2022, 10:29:45 AM »
Fluff

I would love to hear your 20-30 list of favorite post Al MU players. It has to be some list.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2022, 10:35:25 AM »
What was your favorite Sam Hauser signature March moment, Virginia or Marquette?  I’ll hang up and listen.

I know, not his fault.  Insert eye roll gif
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2022, 10:36:37 AM »
Fluff

I would love to hear your 20-30 list of favorite post Al MU players. It has to be some list.

Goose,

I'd love to know why among the hundreds of players to put on the MU uniform over the past 45 years - including the All-Americans, the future NBA stars, the all-time leading scorers, the conference POYs, the first-team all-conference players, the guys who led the team to success in March - you choose Sam as one of your all-time favorites.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2022, 10:50:23 AM »
Pakuni

I said post Al, not all time.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2022, 10:52:44 AM »
Pakuni

I said post Al, not all time.

Goose,

I said "over the past 45 years," which is post-Al.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2022, 11:00:01 AM »
Pakuni

I guess for similar reasons why some people have Theo John as an all time favorite. I find it comical that anyone would question why someone liked or dislike a specific player. I loved David Boone, Artie Green, Sam Worthen, Walter Downing, Vander Blue, Damon Key, Travis Diener, Wade and slew of others post Al and Sam is on that list.

I liked Sam a lot and when I heard Travis Diener say he is his favorite MU player it said a lot to me. He went on said that he should not have a favorite, but Sam was everything he would want from a teammate and that sealed the deal for me. I don't care about Wojo, letters, Joey or anything in the past on that topic. I liked Sam as a player and Diener convinced me that Sam was the real deal.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2022, 11:12:45 AM »
Some Scoopers: Markus can't be on the Mt. Rushmore of MU hoops since the 70s because he didn't win anything in March.

Those same Scoopers: I have a man crush on Sam Hauser.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2022, 11:17:21 AM »
No Balls Woj may still be at MU had he handled the entire Hauser/Howard clusterfook like a coach instead of a poosay. I know its not popular to praise Sam, but I will. Love his approach and knowledge of the game, aina?

This most likely would have been Wojo’s last year at MU anyway. The Duke job was likely going to be his unless he was a complete disaster at MU. And well…

Goose

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2022, 11:20:07 AM »
Bias

I NEVER said Markus could not be on the Mt. Rushmore because of lack of March success. I think he is not on Mt. Rushmore because there are better players in school history. Also, I had a man crush on David Boone and Vander Blue as basketball players, I liked Sam a lot as a player. Hence, my saying he was ONE of my all time post Al players.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2022, 11:23:39 AM »
Pakuni

I guess for similar reasons why some people have Theo John as an all time favorite. I find it comical that anyone would question why someone liked or dislike a specific player. I loved David Boone, Artie Green, Sam Worthen, Walter Downing, Vander Blue, Damon Key, Travis Diener, Wade and slew of others post Al and Sam is on that list.

I liked Sam a lot and when I heard Travis Diener say he is his favorite MU player it said a lot to me. He went on said that he should not have a favorite, but Sam was everything he would want from a teammate and that sealed the deal for me. I don't care about Wojo, letters, Joey or anything in the past on that topic. I liked Sam as a player and Diener convinced me that Sam was the real deal.
I am questioning your memory on this. Either that, or Travis was most of the way through a case of Miller Lite.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2022, 11:25:25 AM »
lawdog

I can 100% say that Diener said this on Homer during Sam's last year at MU. He very well might have been a case deep, but he 100% said it. I was floored to hear a former player say it, but he did.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2022, 11:26:01 AM »
Hauser isn't even my favorite post-Al "Sam."

I'll take Sam Worthen, who was the star of the team when I was at Marquette, who was a blast to watch, and who led us to the Sweet 16 my freshman year.

He was a sweet-passing, great-ballhandling "pure PG" (for those who like categorizing such things) who also could score (averaged 17 ppg as senior). My friends and I used to do the "we are not worthy" bow when Sam would make his most incredible passes.

Except for long-distance shooting (there was no 3-point line back then), Worthen did pretty much everything better than Hauser.

Oh, and as a bonus, he never worked with his little brother to blow up a promising season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2022, 11:27:59 AM »
Some Scoopers: Markus can't be on the Mt. Rushmore of MU hoops since the 70s because he didn't win anything in March.

Those same Scoopers: I have a man crush on Sam Hauser.

Ha!  True.  Lots of talk out of both sides of peoples mouths. 

I happened to like both Sam and Markus while they were at MU.  I also appreciate them for their contributions to MU.  It’s a shame they didn’t win in the post season but it is what it is.  I appreciate Kur and Morsell and they didn’t win in the post season either.

Too much mental masturbation on this topic.

We’ve had some really good players over the last decade go to MU and ultimately their teams weren’t good enough to get it done.  They worked their asses off for MU while they were here though and that should be applauded.  Hopefully Shaka puts together a team that can get the job done March.

Go MU!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2022, 11:30:19 AM »

Sam Hauser is not my favorite Sam, post Al either. I loved Sam Worthen.

feedback