Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Better Believe  (Read 21221 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Better Believe
« on: December 21, 2018, 10:46:02 PM »
There are only so many excuses people can make for why we've now beaten 3 top 15 teams in the same calendar month for the 2nd time since 1977 (or maybe it's the 2nd time in program history?).  Guessing tonight is Buffalo is overrated and not as good after seeing them in person, too small, we won't get as hot of a Markus this season, etc.

Regardless of whatever tonight's excuses are, this team is legit.  There is room on the bandwagon.  Hop on in.  Us slurpers will continue sharing the driving duties.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
Re: Better Believe
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 10:48:11 PM »
The sad part, wades, is that there still will be folks looking for excuses to hate on a team they profess to be fans of. I just don't get it.

But if they want to mend their ways, you're right, there's plenty of room on the bandwagon ... as long as they don't claim they never doubted or that they're "better" fans than those of us who believed from the get-go.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 10:48:36 PM »
There are very few making "excuses"

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 10:52:09 PM »
No reason for anyone to not be pleased with everything since the 22-0 Kansas run. The Louisville win included some luck, but you can't argue a win over Loserville. The K State game was great. Beating Wisconsin is always great. And this shellacking was great, even if they weren't ranked #12.

Some bumps on the road early, smooth sailing since. Really enjoying this team right now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 10:54:50 PM »
There are only so many excuses people can make for why we've now beaten 3 top 15 teams in the same calendar month for the 2nd time since 1977 (or maybe it's the 2nd time in program history?).  Guessing tonight is Buffalo is overrated and not as good after seeing them in person, too small, we won't get as hot of a Markus this season, etc.

Regardless of whatever tonight's excuses are, this team is legit.  There is room on the bandwagon.  Hop on in.  Us slurpers will continue sharing the driving duties.

No excuses anywhere tonight. Buffalo is really, really good and we were outstanding tonight. That's all there is to it.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 11:01:21 PM »
I may/may not have been looking at hotels in Des Moines for March 20/22 after the game tonight...

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 11:03:07 PM »
I may/may not have been looking at hotels in Des Moines for March 20/22 after the game tonight...

You may/may not have been the only person to do that.   

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 11:04:00 PM »

Yup.  Been fun to watch the Chicken Littles all year.  Their responses in the first few weeks of the season and the fire Wojo crap was such a effing joke, but consider the sources.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 01:21:42 AM »
Y'all, now is not the time. Now is the time for all MU fans to join in celebration
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 01:50:30 AM »
No excuses anywhere tonight. Buffalo is really, really good and we were outstanding tonight. That's all there is to it.

Agreed. I've seen nothing but positive comments. Weird that anyone would try to stir the pot on such a good night...

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 01:58:29 AM »
You may/may not have been the only person to do that.

Des Moines????

Minneapolis April 6-8  !!!!

Goose

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 04:12:55 AM »
Very strong performance last night. They beat a good team and made it look easy in second half. Aside from Howard’s performance, I really like the toughness again tonight. Was a fun game to be at and looking forward to BE season to start.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 07:37:05 AM »
  there is no doubt buffalo is a good team.  the first 10 minutes or so showed this.  at the time, it would have been hard to say, buffalo can't keep shooting like this.

1)  it seemed our D was swarming too much to the ball, leaving at least one guy WIDE open.  when they swung the ball, we had too many guys collapsing to the ball and we couldn't keep up with the ball movement.

2) we couldn't get a good 3 point look and we were off

3) wojo mad some changes in our D attack at about the ? 7-8-9 minute mark

4) the hustle was off the hustle charts-when announcer noticed one of the biggest guys on the floor was the guy diving on the floor for the loose balls(tribute to joey :D) ya know we wanted this game

5) our shots started to go in...and go in...and go in...and go in(thank you marky markus et.al.)

wojo became a man coach in this game-the players believed in him and went out and played their ca hones off.  if we would have played like that against kansas, they would not be undefeated right now.  but also, if we would have beat kansas, chances are we would not be playing the way we are now. 

look back at one of my posts-the key to our season was not until about the midway point of the 2nd half of the presbyterian game following our ass kickin by indiana.  we were down by 6 on our floor and i'll bet there were a few "seasoned" ticket holders writing their letters to bill scholl.  we went on a 29-8 run to win by 19.  we carried that into the 1st half of the kansas game-had a beer-fart(2nd half), beat louisville, k-state, wisco and have improved with each win

that is, when i believe our boys became men, including wojo.  they are trusting the process!   
don't...don't don't don't don't

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 07:52:41 AM »

Straw man

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 07:53:14 AM »
I cheer for MU with every fiber in my body. But I can't give faux praise or say I see something that isn't there. After some early bumps, this team has earned the praise I always prefer giving. I'm excited like I haven't been in years. But I don't apologize for being skeptical after the IU and KU games. The team earned that skepticism, too.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 07:58:35 AM »
Spot on Lenny. Last night was a great step forward.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2018, 08:05:36 AM »
Was at a Christmas party last night so wasn't able to watch.  Avoided Internet/phone last night, woke up this AM to excitedly watch the game I set to record - but new to the DirecTV platform and apparently MU basketball wasn't on Number 1 on my Series Priority list..the game didn't f'in record.

So, ESPN highlights, recap.  Markus went all-world!  24 consecutive points in the 2nd half.  40 points in the 2nd half alone?  The degree of difficulty on some of those shots?  Good Lord.  Sublime talent can win a team a lot of games. 

Huge win and it feels great to have strung 4 quality wins in a row.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2018, 08:08:13 AM »
Was at a Christmas party last night so wasn't able to watch.  Avoided Internet/phone last night, woke up this AM to excitedly watch the game I set to record - but new to the DirecTV platform and apparently MU basketball wasn't on Number 1 on my Series Priority list..the game didn't f'in record.

So, ESPN highlights, recap.  Markus went all-world!  24 consecutive points in the 2nd half.  40 points in the 2nd half alone?  The degree of difficulty on some of those shots?  Good Lord.  Sublime talent can win a team a lot of games. 

If you have it on DirecTV, you should be able to stream a replay from the internet.
Have some patience, FFS.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2018, 08:11:25 AM »
If you have it on DirecTV, you should be able to stream a replay from the internet.

Thank you for this.  Was so excited to watch game this AM, and then to not have it there, and find out we won in what looked to be an incredible environment and a historic performance from Markus - total gut punch.  Wanted to skip Christmas party so I could watch live.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2018, 08:27:51 AM »

I feel your pain. I had to attend a double date cooking class...hey sometimes things happen. Big win! Hope to watch a replay in the next day or so

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2018, 08:34:33 AM »
Thank you for this.  Was so excited to watch game this AM, and then to not have it there, and find out we won in what looked to be an incredible environment and a historic performance from Markus - total gut punch.  Wanted to skip Christmas party so I could watch live.

Yep.  We used to record games so that we could watch them again when we got home. You get a lot of info that you can't when you are at the game -I still need to watch and find out what the deal was with Theo's technical. But now I have figured out that I can watch the stream on my computer or on Roku, I don't do that any more.
Have some patience, FFS.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2018, 08:38:37 AM »
Yep.  We used to record games so that we could watch them again when we got home. You get a lot of info that you can't when you are at the game -I still need to watch and find out what the deal was with Theo's technical. But now I have figured out that I can watch the stream on my computer or on Roku, I don't do that any more.

Theo screamed right in the guys face after his dunk. It is a pretty common technical.

YouTube is also a way that I’ve rewatched games.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2018, 08:39:12 AM »
Theo screamed into the air...at first, which was fine.  But, he took a slight inhale and the last part of the scream was clearly directed at the UB player. I think it was deserved (the technical, not the scream in the face).

I can't believe I just broke down a scream
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 08:41:23 AM by MUEng92 »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2018, 08:49:37 AM »
How predictable is this thread?

I WAS ALWAYZ ON THE BANDWAGON, YOU WERE NOT.   SUCK IT, BEEF N CHEDDAR EATERS. 

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2018, 08:50:00 AM »
We really stunk at IU, but the guy who scheduled our only true away game as the 2nd game of the season  must have been asleep at the wheel. Even good teams struggle early in the season, but to throw our guys into the deep end of the other guy's pool that early in the season was an epic schedule fail. The difference between that game and this game was that both teams had 11 games under their belts and both were ready to play. We saw the real MU tonight.