collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette: McAdams matter FAQs  (Read 50162 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Marquette: McAdams matter FAQs
« Reply #225 on: May 04, 2016, 10:34:08 AM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #226 on: May 04, 2016, 10:49:25 AM »
Here's the group handling his case- http://www.will-law.org/donate/

Is there a GoFundMe page for Cheryl Abbate?  I understand that she lost 3 semesters of progress in getting her PhD because she had to transfer schools out of fear for her own safety.
Have some patience, FFS.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #227 on: May 04, 2016, 10:49:41 AM »
I don't understand your example.  There are preferred walk-ons that get that exact speech and they do get a scholarship for their final year.  It happens, and happens quite frequently.

I'm not talking about those people.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #228 on: May 04, 2016, 10:50:02 AM »
Is there a GoFundMe page for Cheryl Abbate?  I understand that she lost 3 semesters of progress in getting her PhD because she had to transfer schools out of fear for her own safety.

+1

Also, usually the people who talk the most about withholding their giving over some manufactured political outrage are the ones who give very little anyway. I'm sure MU will get by just fine without Chicos' giving.

I'm young and don't give much but I also don't act like it would be some monumental thing if I stopped.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:08:41 AM by Coleman »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #229 on: May 04, 2016, 11:14:09 AM »

Quick googling says no. Maybe this will help you start one for her. https://www.gofundme.com/questions/

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #230 on: May 04, 2016, 01:10:36 PM »
she had to transfer schools out of fear for her own safety.

I hope she doesn't soil herself crossing a busy street...

Good Lord.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #231 on: May 04, 2016, 01:11:31 PM »
I hope she doesn't soil herself crossing a busy street...

Good Lord.

That's no way to talk about a fellow service member.
Have some patience, FFS.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #232 on: May 04, 2016, 01:35:12 PM »
That's no way to talk about a fellow service member.

I read her thesis on how the risk matrix for avoiding collateral damage in warfare violates the concept of just war.

She is neither a warrior nor a scholar. She is a shrill emotional voice who does not comprehend the choices that must be made in combat.

Frankly, her take on the ethics of warfighting is rubbish.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #233 on: May 04, 2016, 01:42:19 PM »
I read her thesis on how the risk matrix for avoiding collateral damage in warfare violates the concept of just war.

She is neither a warrior nor a scholar. She is a shrill emotional voice who does not comprehend the choices that must be made in combat.

Frankly, her take on the ethics of warfighting is rubbish.

So I take it that if someone mentioned your daughter's name in a public forum and said  that someone should blow her brains out, you would just tell her to "man up".
Have some patience, FFS.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #234 on: May 04, 2016, 03:38:43 PM »
It appears my daughter is going to be a TA this fall in an Occupational Therapy program.   I have never been a fan of what McAdams did, but with this new development in my life, I can say in all honesty that if some grumpy old man does to my daughter what McAdams did to that poor girl, I would want him fired and I would contemplate suing him instead of him suing the school.   And it would be very tempting to go medieval on his ass. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #235 on: May 04, 2016, 03:46:32 PM »
So I take it that if someone mentioned your daughter's name in a public forum and said  that someone should blow her brains out, you would just tell her to "man up".

My daughter would not have said anything close to what Abbate said to that young man so your starting premise is not just off base but, in fact, ludicrous.

I am not aware of anything anonymous commentators wrote to or about Abbate but if that is what someone wrote it is wrong. But I can assure you, my daughter would dismiss it as meaningless ramblings of gutless cowards. And I can state unequivocally that she would never ever let such idiots dictate life decisions for her.

Her mother raised her to be fearless, resolute, and intrepid and she has lived her life accordingly. She has worked in the field in sub-Saharan Africa to bring clean water solutions to combat infant mortality and helped a former colleague of mine, Jeff Blander, to assist in the fight against HIV in the developing world.

She is working on her MPH at a leading center of academic excellence and will return to a prestigious foundation to continue supporting initiatives in Global Health. And she looks forward to resuming her work in the developing world where the dangers are many but the need is greatest and the rewards highest.

My daughter would never alter her life's path for anyone, much less internet bullies.

Cheryl Abbate let other people make life choices for her. That says far more about her than it does the clowns making absurd threats on a blog.   

I have to believe that you would be disappointed if your daughter let bullies scare her into changing her life's path.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 03:48:23 PM by keefe »

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #236 on: May 04, 2016, 06:28:18 PM »
My daughter would not have said anything close to what Abbate said to that young man so your starting premise is not just off base but, in fact, ludicrous.

I am not aware of anything anonymous commentators wrote to or about Abbate but if that is what someone wrote it is wrong. But I can assure you, my daughter would dismiss it as meaningless ramblings of gutless cowards. And I can state unequivocally that she would never ever let such idiots dictate life decisions for her.

Her mother raised her to be fearless, resolute, and intrepid and she has lived her life accordingly. She has worked in the field in sub-Saharan Africa to bring clean water solutions to combat infant mortality and helped a former colleague of mine, Jeff Blander, to assist in the fight against HIV in the developing world.

She is working on her MPH at a leading center of academic excellence and will return to a prestigious foundation to continue supporting initiatives in Global Health. And she looks forward to resuming her work in the developing world where the dangers are many but the need is greatest and the rewards highest.

My daughter would never alter her life's path for anyone, much less internet bullies.

Cheryl Abbate let other people make life choices for her. That says far more about her than it does the clowns making absurd threats on a blog.   

I have to believe that you would be disappointed if your daughter let bullies scare her into changing her life's path.

This is priceless.  Just priceless.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #237 on: May 04, 2016, 06:43:53 PM »
It appears my daughter is going to be a TA this fall in an Occupational Therapy program.   I have never been a fan of what McAdams did, but with this new development in my life, I can say in all honesty that if some grumpy old man does to my daughter what McAdams did to that poor girl, I would want him fired and I would contemplate suing him instead of him suing the school.   And it would be very tempting to go medieval on his ass.

I'm sorry to inform you that your theoretical lawsuit against McAdams wouldn't have legal legs.  There is a reason Abbate hasn't sued him.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #238 on: May 04, 2016, 06:52:38 PM »
I'm sorry to inform you that your theoretical lawsuit against McAdams wouldn't have legal legs.  There is a reason Abbate hasn't sued him.

Are you sure she hasn't, or doesn't plan to?
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #239 on: May 04, 2016, 07:01:43 PM »

I agree with this analysis.
Have some patience, FFS.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #240 on: May 04, 2016, 07:50:06 PM »

She had to transfer?  Really?  Was she really scared?  It's easy to claim safety concerns when it is impossible to prove a negative. 

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #241 on: May 04, 2016, 08:15:07 PM »
She had to transfer?  Really?  Was she really scared?  It's easy to claim safety concerns when it is impossible to prove a negative.

Let's see:  Tenured professor excoriates graduate student on a public blog and publishes her name and her contact information.  She receives threats including calls for someone to blow her brains out.  MUPD is concerned enough to post an officer outside her classroom.

Yeah, I think she would have reason to be afraid.

And as a footnote, the tenured professor reveals her new location on the blog even after he was made aware of the earlier threats.  Class act. 
Have some patience, FFS.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #242 on: May 04, 2016, 08:19:36 PM »
And as a footnote, the tenured professor reveals her new location on the blog even after he was made aware of the earlier threats.  Class act.

So did that terribly unclassy Journal Sentinel, long before McAdams mentioned it on his blog. http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/teaching-assistant-leaving-marquette-amid-mcadams-controversy-b99412266z1-286422861.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #243 on: May 04, 2016, 11:50:11 PM »
Let's see:  Tenured professor excoriates graduate student on a public blog and publishes her name and her contact information.  She receives threats including calls for someone to blow her brains out.  MUPD is concerned enough to post an officer outside her classroom.

Yeah, I think she would have reason to be afraid.

If I recall, he pointed to her blog.  He didn't publish her contact information, she published it herself.

Threats to blow her brains out....I'll be honest, I don't take any of those seriously.  I just don't.  Whack jobs make all kinds of threats...if they were made at all.  Let me give you an example..it just happened again in the news last week where a woman claimed to receive death threats and she even provided written evidence.  Then we find out, she sent the letters to herself.

Now, am I saying that happened here?  I have no idea.  The threats could be real, they could be just nonsense, hard to say.  But in today's day and age when some anonymous idiot says something like that (if it was said), I don't put a penny worth of credibility into it and neither does law enforcement.  They are not credible threats.

All one had to do was use Google to see where she is at.  I don't understand the hostility toward him in this manner when all it takes is a simple search of her name.  By the way, it was published long before by major news outlets, so why is that on McAdams?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #244 on: May 05, 2016, 12:26:30 AM »
I agree with this analysis.

Sultan thinks it's priceless because he lives in the cocoon of academia which is a low risk, low threat environment.

I have no idea what people said to Abbate but the fact she let internet bullies chase her off is pathetic.

You asked about my daughter - she is made of sterner stuff.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #245 on: May 05, 2016, 12:41:56 AM »
Will be in Boulder this Summer, one of the Pac 12 schools my son is visiting.  Maybe I'll wear my Marquette sweatshirt around the Philosophy department. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #246 on: May 05, 2016, 12:52:26 AM »

No, I'll tell you what is priceless. We had dinner this evening with the nephew of a colleague. Dr Allen Eghrari is a faculty member at the Wilmer Eye Institute who is in Seattle to present a paper at the ARVO Ophthalmology Conference.

He and his colleagues from Wilmer have spent 6 months in each of the past 5 years in west Africa working with Ebola survivors to research a spike in blindness in this patient population. They are doing God's work trying to help the most destitute people imaginable. And they have made some landmark discoveries in identifying the causes of blindness in people who have survived one of the most terrible viruses.

These young physicians leave the family comforts of an upper middle class life behind to help people in primitive conditions. They are kindred spirits friends of mine like like Danny Sands, Jeff Blander, and Paul Farmer who have devoted their considerable professional skills to addressing staggering health care problems afflicting the poor and impoverished.

What these people do is priceless. The travails of a cranky old professor and a mediocre aspiring academic are meaningless by comparison.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #247 on: May 05, 2016, 12:53:05 AM »
Will be in Boulder this Summer, one of the Pac 12 schools my son is visiting.  Maybe I'll wear my Marquette sweatshirt around the Philosophy department.

Don't. She may soil herself.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #248 on: May 05, 2016, 12:56:41 AM »
Made a very small donation, wish they would have allowed for a note or something, to say why one was donating.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #249 on: May 05, 2016, 07:50:35 AM »
Made a very small donation, wish they would have allowed for a note or something, to say why one was donating.

feedback