[Today at 09:01:57 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Zog from Margo
[Today at 04:49:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: What does it take for us to get a 2 seed?  (Read 5999 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: What does it take for us to get a 2 seed?
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2023, 06:31:09 AM »
Nobody is considering secret scrimmages?
Goal is National Championship

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2023, 06:40:34 AM »
I think it’s important to remember the challenges the Selection Committee can have placing teams in the bracket while following certain guidelines, especially those that require separation of teams from the same conference so they don’t meet too early. That can be one reason why there isn’t too much movement based on conference tournament results.

This year there are going to be challenges created by having 4 or 5 Big 12 teams and 4 Big East in the top 4-5 seed lines. It is inevitable that teams will not be placed precisely as they would if the seed list established by the Committee were followed strictly in an S curve. In some cases a team might be placed in a different seed line.

Because of that, I don’t think it’s worth devoting too much energy to movements of one or two places on the seed list. The competitive advantage between being number 8 or number 9 on the seed list is insignificant.

I guess that depends on what you define as significant. I haven’t seen odds based on S rank, but the probability of success getting to the Elite 8 is 45% for a 2 and 25% for a 3. For a final four, it is 20% to 11%. I’d say those are pretty significant.

How much of that is based on the seed and how much is based on the quality difference of teams on the two seed lines is beyond the scope of any study of which I am aware.

Seeding matters. I am very confident that if MU wins out and wins the BET, they’ll be a 2. But doing those two things is far from a sure thing. Given the potential of the top 5 in the Big East, it is downright difficult and maybe not even to be expected regardless of how we do these next few games.

If MU accomplishes that feat, they deserve a 2. And they will get it barring some strange results elsewhere.

To me, the secret scrimmage is the thing that ensures the 2 and maybe sneaks us into 1 overall. Wouldn’t be surprised if we actually get a straight bye to the Final Four in an unprecedented but wholly justified move.

Big East Champ + BET Champ + Secret Scrimmage = Final Four

Thank you to Newsdreams for making dreams a newsworthy reality.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2023, 06:49:48 AM »
I guess that depends on what you define as significant. I haven’t seen odds based on S rank, but the probability of success getting to the Elite 8 is 45% for a 2 and 25% for a 3. For a final four, it is 20% to 11%. I’d say those are pretty significant.

How much of that is based on the seed and how much is based on the quality difference of teams on the two seed lines is beyond the scope of any study of which I am aware.

Seeding matters. I am very confident that if MU wins out and wins the BET, they’ll be a 2. But doing those two things is far from a sure thing. Given the potential of the top 5 in the Big East, it is downright difficult and maybe not even to be expected regardless of how we do these next few games.

If MU accomplishes that feat, they deserve a 2. And they will get it barring some strange results elsewhere.

To me, the secret scrimmage is the thing that ensures the 2 and maybe sneaks us into 1 overall. Wouldn’t be surprised if we actually get a straight bye to the Final Four in an unprecedented but wholly justified move.

You're welcome
Goal is National Championship

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2023, 07:07:37 AM »
I think it’s important to remember the challenges the Selection Committee can have placing teams in the bracket while following certain guidelines, especially those that require separation of teams from the same conference so they don’t meet too early. That can be one reason why there isn’t too much movement based on conference tournament results.

This year there are going to be challenges created by having 4 or 5 Big 12 teams and 4 Big East in the top 4-5 seed lines. It is inevitable that teams will not be placed precisely as they would if the seed list established by the Committee were followed strictly in an S curve. In some cases a team might be placed in a different seed line.

Because of that, I don’t think it’s worth devoting too much energy to movements of one or two places on the seed list. The competitive advantage between being number 8 or number 9 on the seed list is insignificant.

This is a good point. The most important thing is avoiding a 4 seed. You want to go as far as possible without having to play a 1. 2 and 3 are a bit interchangeable

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2023, 07:29:25 AM »
The most important thing is avoiding a 4 seed. You want to go as far as possible without having to play a 1. 2 and 3 are a bit interchangeable

I agree with this. It's definitely important to get up to the three line, but beyond that, the difference is minimal. I'd love for MU to be a two-seed because that would mean that they finished strong and garnered a lot of respect. But in the grand scheme of things, as long as the reach the three line, it's great.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2023, 07:58:37 AM »
Except the statistics that MUCam gave just above indicate that there is a valuable difference between 3 and 2. That is, getting a 2 seed rather a 3 seed increases notably the probability of getting to the Elite 8 and the Final Four.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2023, 08:08:12 AM »
Except the statistics that MUCam gave just above indicate that there is a valuable difference between 3 and 2. That is, getting a 2 seed rather a 3 seed increases notably the probability of getting to the Elite 8 and the Final Four.

But, those statistics are comparing teams to each other. Overall, teams that get seeded No. 2 are by definition going to be better than teams that get seeded No. 3. So, it's not terribly surprising that twos fare better overall than threes. But we're talking here about the same team -- Marquette's 2022-2023 team. I do not believe the statistics cited by MUCam indicate that the 2022-23 MU team will have a better chance progressing in the tournament as a two-seed than a three-seed.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2023, 08:10:02 AM »
Fundamentally I don't think there is much difference between a two or three seed.  Your first round opponent is going to be a mid-major conference champion that could give you issues depending on your style of play.  Your second round opponent is likely going to be a P6 at large that can definitely beat you if you don't bring your A-game.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2023, 08:12:44 AM »
Planning to dig in later today, but I feel like Alabama, Purdue, Kansas, Houston, Arizona, Baylor, and Texas are pretty well cemented ahead of us. Would take notable collapses to get past them. UCLA is the one I think might be vulnerable to fall, but they have a huge metric edge. Our win column looks a lot better, but maybe if they split the mountain trip and lose to Arizona in the finale, maybe we can sneak past them. At this point, I think top of the 3 line is a lot more likely than making it to the 2, and might even be preferential because it could get us a better regional destination.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2023, 08:20:14 AM »

I doubt if it has ever been broken down that far, in part because I don’t think the Committee has released the seed list until the last few years. And because of conference issues, number 8 on the seed list isn’t always bracketed with number 1 on the seed list.

But, the numbers you gave help to illustrate what I’m saying. It should be apparent that, in a perfect S curve, the number 9 team doesn’t have its chances of reaching the Elite 8 suddenly jump by 20 percentage points just by moving up to number 8 on the seed list. On the other hand, team 5 on the seed list should have a significantly better chance of reaching the Elite 8 than team 12 because if the seed list is done well that team might be significantly better.

As of today, I’m guessing that MU is around 10 on the seed list based on its recent victories and losses by other teams. Whatever their chances of advancing to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 are, I don’t think they will change significantly if they can nose up to number 8. In that narrow range, specific matchups are more important than seeding.

I agree with others that getting a 3 seed is much better than getting a 4, but Ii think the marginal difference between the last 2 and the first 3 isn’t that great.

Said another way, I think that the higher seeds advance further in the tournament primarily because they are better teams, not because they have been given better seeds.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 09:48:12 AM by wisblue »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2023, 08:23:47 AM »
I doubt if it has ever been broken down that far, in part because I don’t think the Committee has released the seed list until the last few years. And because of conference issues, number 8 on the seed list isn’t always bracketed with number 1 on the seed list.

But, the numbers you gave help to illustrate what I’m saying. It should be apparent that, in a perfect S curve, the number 9 team doesn’t have its chances of reaching the Elite 8 suddenly jump by 20 percentage points just by moving up to number 8 on the seed list. On the other hand, team 5 on the seed list should have a significantly better chance of reaching the Elite 8 than team 12 because if the seed list is done well that team might be significantly better.

As of today, I’m guessing that MU is around 10 on the seed list based on its recent victories and losses by other teams. Whatever their chances of advancing to the Sweet 16 or Elite 8 are, I don’t think they will change significantly if they can nose up to number 8. In that narrow range, specific matchups are more important than seeding.

I agree with others that getting a 3 seed is mush better than getting a 4, but i think the marginal difference between the last 2 and the first 3 isn’t that great.

Said another way, I think that the higher seeds advance further in the tournament primarily because they are better teams, not because they have been given better seeds.

Exactly. Agree on all points.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2023, 08:26:57 AM »
To note, a 2 seed, although unlikely, would be MU’s highest seed since the (current) seeding process began in 1979. And currently as #11 in Pomeroy, this is Shaka’s best statistical team ever driven by the offense.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2023, 08:36:12 AM »
Planning to dig in later today, but I feel like Alabama, Purdue, Kansas, Houston, Arizona, Baylor, and Texas are pretty well cemented ahead of us. Would take notable collapses to get past them. UCLA is the one I think might be vulnerable to fall, but they have a huge metric edge. Our win column looks a lot better, but maybe if they split the mountain trip and lose to Arizona in the finale, maybe we can sneak past them. At this point, I think top of the 3 line is a lot more likely than making it to the 2, and might even be preferential because it could get us a better regional destination.

So top of the 3 line would likely be Columbus.

Getting to the 2 could see Marquette head where?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2023, 08:38:00 AM »

That will be the subject of my next bracketology piece. Give me 24 hours or so ;)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2023, 08:41:45 AM »
Haha they must call that a teaser in the biz

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2023, 08:44:26 AM »

Curious about Baylor being cemented ahead of us.  Currently 3rd place in the Big 12.  It would seem to me that if we win out regular season schedule and finish 25-6 and 17-3 in BE play, that should trump Baylor finishing 22-9 and 11-7 in Big12 play as projected by Ken Pom.  And of course our head to head win against them.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2023, 08:58:16 AM »
That will be the subject of my next bracketology piece. Give me 24 hours or so ;)

Please tell me there's a chance they end up in Des Moines!

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2023, 09:04:33 AM »

I agree with others that getting a 3 seed is mush better than getting a 4, but i think the marginal difference between the last 2 and the first 3 isn’t that great.

Precisely the point I was trying to make, but said much better.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2023, 09:06:47 AM »

Correlation or causation? I'd say its just more likely that the better teams have a better chance of getting seeded higher and also a better chance of going farther. Not because they are seeded higher.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2023, 09:26:08 AM »
It's mostly because 2 seeds are better than 3 seeds...but 13 seeds are also better than 14 seeds and 6 seeds are better than 7 seeds. Seeding does play a small role.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2023, 09:40:11 AM »

I would think we’d need to jump both Kansas and Kansas State. Kansas State would be possible, but I still think fairly unlikely. I think Iowa State is behind us.

I wonder if we’d prefer Columbus anyways by being further East.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2023, 09:43:42 AM »
As a three seed we've barely scraped by Davidson (13) and Holy Cross (03)  with a comfortable win over BYU (12)  and As a four seed we got shat on by Austin Croshere (97)

Based on these previous experiences I'd be much much happier with us doing everything in our power to get up to a 2 but most importantly we get the hell away from being a 4.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2023, 09:46:11 AM »
As a three seed we've barely scraped by Davidson (13) and Holy Cross (03)  with a comfortable win over BYU (12)  and As a four seed we got shat on by Austin Croshere (97)

Based on these previous experiences I'd be much much happier with us doing everything in our power to get up to a 2 but most importantly we get the hell away from being a 4.

They were a 7-seed in ‘97

Losses as 5-seed to Alabama, Murray State and Tulsa
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2023, 09:47:56 AM »

I think it will be tough. I think Kansas, Kansas State, Texas, and Baylor will all be in line for that placement. Bama and Houston will fill up Birmingham and Des Moines is the closest second option to Texas and Kansas.

I think Columbus is a good bet. Albany ad the backup
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2023, 09:55:05 AM »

I’d much rather but a 3 in Columbus than a 2 anywhere else. Columbus will be a sea of gold!!!
Bring back FFP!!!