[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sam Hurd Arrested  (Read 9520 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Sam Hurd Arrested
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2011, 09:30:31 AM »
Speaking of...  Would like to see the Bears go after Desean Jackson.

But see this is what I mean.  Would you label the Bears as cheap if they don't go after him?

For the record, I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole.  The Bears already have a world class returner.  As a receiver, he is basically a one trick pony...he's fast.  He's small and not a very good route runner.  The Bears already have "that guy" - Johnny Knox.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2011, 09:40:51 AM »
Were the Bears cheap or smart to not re-sign B. Berrian and let him go to the vikings for millions?

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2011, 09:54:57 AM »
Being a Packer fan, I find the discussion interesting.  Under Thompson's leadership, many a Packer fan has chastised him for being cheap because he did not go after FA's.  He has signed Woodson and Picket, but that is the end of the contributor list.  Woodson signed, in part, because few others wanted him and the Packers made it work financially at the time.

I have wanted Thompson to go after FA's, but more selectively.  But, I know there is a risk.  The Packers have been burned (see Joe Johnson) almost as many times as they have come out ahead.  Thompson's philosophy is to draft well and develop from within.  It has worked, but they have pretty solid scouts.

The problem is not spending for the Bears.  As Sultan mentioned, it is scouting and developing.  The Bears have made more of a splash in FA than the Packers.  It is the other picks/players that they need to be better at.

That said, the Bears were in the NFC Championship last year.  Until both Cutler and Forte went out, they were likely the top Wild Card team.  They must be doing something right.  ;)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2011, 10:32:12 AM »
Sultan,
If they didn't I wouldn't consider them cheap.  And honestly I would rather see the dollars go to OL, (given time to think about it).  Although the line was playing better before Williams got hurt, and Carimi is still an unknown.  <End of incoherent rambling>
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2011, 02:45:38 PM »
If anything, the Bears spending has made them/kept them competitive and made up for very poor drafting.

I know this isn't the NFC North thread, but this Bears/Seahawks game is completely unwatchable. I've watched more Packers/Chiefs than Bears today.

Odd effort from the Pack so far today. You could tell early without Jennings, they seemed in a funk. As I type this Sherrod is carted off (has to be done). If I was a Pack fan at this point (assuming Chiefs hold on), I'd start thinking about Rodgers just playing a half next week and against the Lions. That offensive line is really beaten up right now.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2011, 03:05:16 PM »
Onside kick made zero sense, surprised McCarthy went that route.

McCown or Enderlee both must secretly be crippled, because I don't know how they can worse than Hanie. I'd like to apologize to all NFL fans who have to watch this Bears offense on Christmas night. Only hope Bears have is if they can beat up Rodgers.

Kudos to the Chiefs, they really outplayed the Packers all day today.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2011, 03:08:01 PM »
Coach McCarthy was NOT at the top of his game today.  Ugh!
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2011, 03:12:37 PM »

McCown or Enderlee both must secretly be crippled, because I don't know how they can worse than Hanie. I'd like to apologize to all NFL fans who have to watch this Bears offense on Christmas night. Only hope Bears have is if they can beat up Rodgers.

I think McCarthy saw that his D was dead tired.  I don't think he had confidence that they could stop the Chiefs ... and they did not.  Otherwise, you are correct, that call made no sense.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2011, 03:14:22 PM »

It makes a lot of sense actually.  Even after the Chiefs got the onside kick the Packers D KNEW KC would run the ball and they couldn't stop them.

You let your best squad win the game, and the offense has been the best squad all year... except maybe this game. :)

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2011, 03:52:41 PM »
It makes a lot of sense actually.  Even after the Chiefs got the onside kick the Packers D KNEW KC would run the ball and they couldn't stop them.

You let your best squad win the game, and the offense has been the best squad all year... except maybe this game. :)

+1 - The onside kick was absolutely the right call.  You have a 35% chance of recovering - why not give yourself that chance??  Particularly with the Green Bay defense being the weak link on the team - plus they were on the field about 35 minutes.

Saw McCarthy's post game comments and he basically said it was the right decision to NOT challenge that play where the Chiefs receiver "fumbled" the ball through the end zone...as he "thought" the foot hit down out of bounds before the fumble occurred.  Why not challenge anyway - a huge potential play, essentially the same as a turnover in the red zone..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2011, 04:09:13 PM »
Not sure how football logic makes sense to kick onside there. You have 4 time outs at your disposal including the 2 minute warning. Lot more pressure starting at your own 20 instead of your own 40. Doesn't matter though, Green Bay didn't deserve that one today.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2011, 04:11:36 PM »
Not sure how football logic makes sense to kick onside there. You have 4 time outs at your disposal including the 2 minute warning. Lot more pressure starting at your own 20 instead of your own 40. Doesn't matter though, Green Bay didn't deserve that one today.

Because McCarthy knew the defense was tired.  I think it was the correct call.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2011, 04:34:15 PM »

You only get the 2:00 warning if you kick it out of the end zone or a touch back.  Any return and they use the 4 seconds up and it is down to 3 TO's.

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2011, 05:10:14 PM »
You only get the 2:00 warning if you kick it out of the end zone or a touch back.  Any return and they use the 4 seconds up and it is down to 3 TO's.

Huh?
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2011, 05:17:39 PM »
Huh?
Dish said the Packers had 3 TO's, plus the two minute warning.  There was 2:04 at the time of the kick off.  Clock does not start until the returner begins to return the ball.  Should have read "get advantage of the 2:00 minute warning" Does it make sense now?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 05:35:31 PM by MUMac »