[Today at 03:27:33 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 03:22:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander no longer committed to UW  (Read 6825 times)

Big Papi

• All American
Vander no longer committed to UW
« on: May 19, 2009, 05:41:41 PM »
per Mark Miller twitter from news conference.  Will still consider them.

reinko

• All American
Re: Vander no longer committed to UW
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 05:43:08 PM »

MU06CU10

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 05:48:34 PM »
Hope he takes his time now...

And hopefully people can resist the urge to go over to the badger boards and rub it in. Let's play like the good Jesuits and not be a bunch of d-bags, which is how we'd feel if this situation was happening to us right now.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 05:50:33 PM »
forget that....stick it to bucky whenever you can....commies

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 05:52:53 PM »
Hope he takes his time now...

And hopefully people can resist the urge to go over to the badger boards and rub it in. Let's play like the good Jesuits and not be a bunch of d-bags, which is how we'd feel if this situation was happening to us right now.

+1

If anything, Vander, make it look like you're taking your time, but actually have a silent commitment to Marquette!

And word...let's be good people, Jesuit or not I honestly don't care, and not lower ourselves to badger behavior.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »
forget that....stick it to bucky whenever you can....commies

Without question, the best (only?) way to stick it to UW is to land Vander.  Buzz and staff, this one is in your hands.  Please stick it to UW.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 06:53:49 PM »
For 2010 Blue, Bowen and Clark sound GREAT!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 07:37:47 PM »
No, I don't think we should rub it in either. But you know if Vander commits to MU the Badger line of thinking will be:
His academics weren't good enough for UW anyway.
OR
Bo cooled on him.
OR
The tough competition on the Big Ten scared him off.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 07:53:30 PM »
For 2010 Blue, Bowen and Clark sound GREAT!

BBC news sounds GREAT ;)
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 08:32:37 PM »
No, I don't think we should rub it in either. But you know if Vander commits to MU the Badger line of thinking will be:
OR
Bo cooled on him.
OR

You're right, but who cares? My line of thinking will be that Buzz Williams is assembling a Final Four caliber roster.

UW becomes more and more irrelevant to me every day.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 08:41:22 PM »
Who cares if he grades are below the average MU student (if that's true).  Somehow MU let me into school with an average ACT score and a 2.8 GPA (thank you FFP) and had little to offer the school as far as exposure goes. 

After the final four run applicants doubled at MU, thus raising the bar on academics.  As long as he qualifies and doesn't have any red flags then what is the big deal.  I think our 99% graduation rate among athletes speaks for itself. 

Come on Vander, do the right thing.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 08:42:08 PM »
UW becomes more and more irrelevant to me every day.

+1, we're really not on the same playing field recruiting wise anymore.

I think UW is stuck on this one.  It's hard to have an excuse when you have already said wonderful things about a kid, then ripped him apart, then tried to take it back, and are now recruiting him "twice" as hard.

I don't think they had much to be embarassed about to start.  They had the excuse that he's a young kid who changed his mind...like that's something new, but they made their own bed when they ripped him apart on their boards.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 10:29:02 PM »
OR
Bo cooled on him.
OR

They'll go with the first.  The other two sound too ridiculous even by Badger standards.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 10:34:03 PM »
+1, we're really not on the same playing field recruiting wise anymore.

I think UW is stuck on this one.  It's hard to have an excuse when you have already said wonderful things about a kid, then ripped him apart, then tried to take it back, and are now recruiting him "twice" as hard.

I don't think they had much to be embarassed about to start.  They had the excuse that he's a young kid who changed his mind...like that's something new, but they made their own bed when they ripped him apart on their boards.

Yeah, the quotes by his mother seem to indicate that she read the boards and was not very pleased.  He may not come here, but my guess is that there is no way he goes to UW.  If comes here he is the starter at #2 by his sophomore year.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 10:39:44 PM »
Badger fans are blaming Schultz and the bashing by fans responding  to Schultz's story for the decommit.  Check the Wisconsin State Journal.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 11:04:43 PM »
Yeah, the comments are pretty funny.  Apparently Evan Anderson is a better "fit" and Flavien Davis is a better "player."

Uh...I won't argue that a big white stiff of a center is a better fit for UW...but Flavien Davis?  Puh-leeze...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 11:06:23 PM by The Wizard of West Salem »

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 04:38:50 AM »
An enemy is an enemy.  Why flower it up.  If Blue comes here we will be attacked on all sides from the big state school that wants you to lie prostrate for.  Now they will probably just want to intimidate you so you back off on recruiting Blue.  Because landing Blue now would be a huge public embarrassment for their egos and a reaffirmation that Marquette basketball is the finest in the state. 

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 06:56:04 AM »
somehow I don't think UW is ever going to intimidate Buzz in terms of recruiting. God, I remember just 10-12 years ago how Deane would stop going after players if big-name schools get involved. Buzz seems to take that as a challenge.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 11:32:10 AM »
I don't see how we're not a PERFECT fit for Blue...HS teammates, will play big minutes, and can play both point and the 2, and we play in the BE.  And I could care less what UW thinks, if it was the other way around, there would be ~20 taunting posts here already.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2009, 11:43:41 AM »
I don't see how we're not a PERFECT fit for Blue...HS teammates, will play big minutes, and can play both point and the 2, and we play in the BE.  And I could care less what UW thinks, if it was the other way around, there would be ~20 taunting posts here already.

There's really only two things.  First, he comes from a family of Badger fans and has a mother that wanted him at Wisconsin...and despite what has happened probably still wants him at Wisconsin.  Second, if he were to switch to MU the pressure on him and possible impact on his family in Madison from some lunatics might be too much.

I'd love to have him at MU, but if he chooses to go elsewhere and get out of state, or choses to recommit to UW, I completely understand.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 11:57:40 AM »
I just hope like heck the guy doesn't pick another Big East school.  I would rather he end up at Madison or some other conference.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 12:13:53 PM »
There's really only two things.  First, he comes from a family of Badger fans and has a mother that wanted him at Wisconsin...and despite what has happened probably still wants him at Wisconsin.  Second, if he were to switch to MU the pressure on him and possible impact on his family in Madison from some lunatics might be too much.

I'd love to have him at MU, but if he chooses to go elsewhere and get out of state, or choses to recommit to UW, I completely understand.

What happened with Wes when he committed to MU?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 12:15:15 PM »
I just hope like heck the guy doesn't pick another Big East school.  I would rather he end up at Madison or some other conference.

Screw that.  I'd rather have the kid go to a good school where he could thrive, even if that means he ends up at UConn, Syracuse or even L'ville instead of MU.  It would really stink for a young athletic kid to have to go to UW just to end up standing around most the game waiting for the shot clock to get down to 10 seconds.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 12:16:30 PM »

My thoughts exactly.  Let's hope he doesn't wind up at someplace like Pitt or Louisville and haunts us 2-3 time per year.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 12:19:03 PM »
What happened with Wes when he committed to MU?

Different situations.  Wes was never committed to UW, and while some people thought they were the leader for his services because of his family history, they never really were. 

Despite that, what was said about him, about his mother, the taunts his mother received at games while he was in high school and during the games at the Kohl Center were completely unacceptable.  He was able to handle it with class because that's how he was raised, but I could understand making a different decision just so you don't have to deal with it.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 12:44:10 PM »
Come on Maymon, work your magic!

If MU sets up this mini-pipeline with Mad. Memorial, it would be fantastic to be on good graces with the coach of the team that continuously pumps out DI talent (Matthews, Maymon, Blue, Lomomba)... I can live with picking kids out of Bo's backyard
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 12:46:24 PM »
The only reason I would not want him to pick another Big East school is that he then could not transfer to MU. According to ESPN recruiting site he is considering Marquette, Wisconsin, Indiana and Kentucky. If he went to Indiana he could not transfer to Wisconsin unless he wanted to pay his own way.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 12:59:26 PM »
The only reason I would not want him to pick another Big East school is that he then could not transfer to MU. According to ESPN recruiting site he is considering Marquette, Wisconsin, Indiana and Kentucky. If he went to Indiana he could not transfer to Wisconsin unless he wanted to pay his own way.

He is going to run into the same problem regarding UW fans if he goes to IU or MU.  Kentucky?  Well...good luck with that.  I'm sure he'd get a ton of playing time there.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2009, 01:06:05 PM »

He is going to run into the same problem regarding UW fans if he goes to IU or MU.  Kentucky?  Well...good luck with that.  I'm sure he'd get a ton of playing time there.

ESPN just pumped out the list of schools that were looking before he originally committed last year.  In reality, UW fans need to be more worried about Louisville, Syracuse, UConn, and Iowa State than Indiana and Kentucky.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2009, 05:11:19 PM »
Vander appears tough enough to decide he isn't committed to Wisconsin.  Why wouldn't he be tough enough to come to MU and not bow to the cow capital.  Good for him to realize there is a bigger world out there.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2009, 05:13:02 PM »
If he is not tough enough to withstand a hostil road crowd, he will not be a very good player.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2009, 09:03:17 PM »
If he is not tough enough to withstand a hostil road crowd, he will not be a very good player.

I don't think it's a question of him not being able to take it.  I think it's a question about how those people will treat his family.  Not every parent would be able to put up with the way Badger fans treated Pam Moore(Wes's mom) but she is an incredibly strong woman.  I suspect Rita Blue is the same but pissed off fans can be over the top.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 08:17:54 AM »
I hope Rita Blue tells the farmers where they can shove it.  And gets some satisfaction from doing so.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.