[Today at 06:46:15 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[May 05, 2024, 10:02:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 05, 2024, 01:00:40 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[May 05, 2024, 05:22:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blue has news conference tonight  (Read 6495 times)

nyg

• All American
Blue has news conference tonight
« on: May 19, 2009, 08:23:05 AM »
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=86600

Maybe the answer will come tonight. 

nyg

• All American
Re: Blue has news conference tonight
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 08:24:49 AM »
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=866008

Try again with attachment.  Sorry

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 08:34:15 AM »
why would you call a press conference to merely re-state your commitment to a program?  unless it is orchestrated by bo and his staff to get other schools to back off.  i bet (and hope) he re-opens his recruiting.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 08:47:04 AM »
I'm hoping for not only the announcement that he is de-committing from UW-Madison, but that he is declaring for Marquette tonight!  But I'm not holding my breath on the MU part.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 08:53:41 AM »
even if that was the way he was thinking i strongly beleive MU would strongly discourage him doing that.  Absolutely no reason to stir the pot and stoke those types of flames in your own hometown.  As has been mentioned the UW deceit and fan reaction has most likely caused him to have nothing to do with UW, but it may have also caused him to want to go far away.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 09:02:32 AM »
If he announced for MU, he better leave the building with an armed guard.

The best thing for him to do if he decides to decommit from UW is spend his senior year outside of Madison and not announce his college decision until the April signing period.  He'll just have too much crap to put up with staying there and picking another school.

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 09:16:18 AM »
If he re-opens his recruiting, I think the best thing for him to do is:

1) stay in school at Madison Memorial
2) take as many visits to as many schools as he wants (even if he wants to go to MU, visit a few other schools for appearance sake)
3) keep UW, and all others on his list until the very end when he announces where he wants to go

That way, this will have time to die down, and it will appear to be a more well informed, thought-out decision.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 09:20:36 AM »
I'm more of a pour-gasoline-on-the-fire-so-I-can-watch-the-flames kinda guy.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 09:27:24 AM »
Will this be televised in the MKE area?
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 09:42:37 AM »
What time is the press conference?  I"d like to check the web later and get a status.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 09:44:14 AM »
It will be like Mel Gibson's TV scene in "Ransom". Bo probably kidnapped his family and girlfriend, so Vander will announce he's committed to UW.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
Maybe he will give an update of how prom went
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 10:01:41 AM »
...the world needs an answer on his school choice today

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 10:02:19 AM »
If he announced for MU, he better leave the building with an armed guard.

The best thing for him to do if he decides to decommit from UW is spend his senior year outside of Madison and not announce his college decision until the April signing period.  He'll just have too much crap to put up with staying there and picking another school.

I like this strategy a lot.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 10:11:48 AM »
Vander, you can live at my house and attend Tosa East for a year.  Oh, wait...that didn't work out so well for Larry Bradley, did it?   :-\

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 11:32:42 AM »
the only time I'm a "pour-gasoline-on-the-fire-and-watch-the flames" kind of guy are times/things involving UW

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 11:36:09 AM »
What time is the press conference?  I"d like to check the web later and get a status.

5:30.

Here is the article from Mark Miller's web site:

http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/blog/message.aspx?f=123&id=1030718

By Eric Lutz
Madison Memorial Senior

Vander Blue has been a hot topic of discussion for college basketball fans in Wisconsin since he verbally committed to the University of Wisconsin on April 28, 2008, following his sophomore season at Madison Memorial.

Despite a week of rumors and various conflicting reports about a possible rescinding of his verbal commitment to play for the Badgers, Blue has decided to stay quiet regarding his situation. All fans have heard from Blue is a subliminal Facebook post where he infers some things regarding his recruitment.

In speaking with Blue this evening, he is planning on having a 5:30 p.m. press conference Tuesday at Genesis in Madison, where he intends to discuss his future as a college basketball player.

An alleged meeting with Blue and the Wisconsin coaching staff may take place prior to the press conference tomorrow. More details regarding the potential meeting could be released at the press conference.

Even though Blue has not come out with a formal statement to this point, he has read the recent articles that appeared in the Wisconsin State Journal and decided to comment on those articles this evening.

"I felt disrespected and unwanted here in Wisconsin," Blue said of the articles. "And I was just hurt inside to see how people really felt about me, and the bad part was this was all false information they were basing this off.” 

Blue said he has no current grade problems, and the meeting with the Wisconsin coaching staff and UW academic advisors was to ensure there would be no future problems.

Blue received Most Valuable Player honors at the WIAA Division 1 State Tournament in March after helping Memorial capture the state title. He has recently risen to the 26th best player in the country in the class of 2010, according to Rivals.com.  Blue is also currently the No. 1 player in the state in 2010, according to Wissports.net.

Editor's Note: Eric Lutz is a senior at Madison Memorial who played on junior varsity and varsity basketball teams with Blue. Lutz will be attending the University of Minnesota in the fall.

Ludum habemus.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 11:59:40 AM »
5:30.

Here is the article from Mark Miller's web site:

By Eric Lutz
Madison Memorial Senior

Vander Blue has been a hot topic of discussion for college basketball fans in Wisconsin since he verbally committed to the University of Wisconsin on April 28, 2008, following his sophomore season at Madison Memorial.

Despite a week of rumors and various conflicting reports about a possible rescinding of his verbal commitment to play for the Badgers, Blue has decided to stay quiet regarding his situation. All fans have heard from Blue is a subliminal Facebook post where he infers some things regarding his recruitment.

In speaking with Blue this evening, he is planning on having a 5:30 p.m. press conference Tuesday at Genesis in Madison, where he intends to discuss his future as a college basketball player.

An alleged meeting with Blue and the Wisconsin coaching staff may take place prior to the press conference tomorrow. More details regarding the potential meeting could be released at the press conference.

Even though Blue has not come out with a formal statement to this point, he has read the recent articles that appeared in the Wisconsin State Journal and decided to comment on those articles this evening.

"I felt disrespected and unwanted here in Wisconsin," Blue said of the articles. "And I was just hurt inside to see how people really felt about me, and the bad part was this was all false information they were basing this off.” 

Blue said he has no current grade problems, and the meeting with the Wisconsin coaching staff and UW academic advisors was to ensure there would be no future problems.

Blue received Most Valuable Player honors at the WIAA Division 1 State Tournament in March after helping Memorial capture the state title. He has recently risen to the 26th best player in the country in the class of 2010, according to Rivals.com.  Blue is also currently the No. 1 player in the state in 2010, according to Wissports.net.

Editor's Note: Eric Lutz is a senior at Madison Memorial who played on junior varsity and varsity basketball teams with Blue. Lutz will be attending the University of Minnesota in the fall.

Minnesota? Lutz is a thug, punk & can't cut it at Wisconsin.

soloWarrior

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 12:19:59 PM »
I still hope we score this kid down the road...but I'm a little taken back by all the hoopla. 

Is Vander Blue a drama queen  or  is all this hype (de-commit talk) caused by some crafty Madison sports writers?

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 12:34:51 PM »
Prep school next year followed by arrival at MU in 2010.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 12:41:22 PM »
My bet is that he says he is re-openning the recruiting process, will visit a few other schools (of which MU might be one) and expect to sign in the fall signing period.
Why on earth would he commit to a new school now.  If he recends his UW commitment any other verbal he gives would be worth the paper its not written on.
Enjoy the process and give your decision when it can be made official.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 12:43:42 PM »

Ummm - why prep school and not just finish his senior year at Memorial and go for back to back state championships? The kid is doing fine as a student.
But I like to throw handfuls...

bma725

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 12:46:05 PM »

FWIW, the guy that wrote this article posts over at Recruiting Planet, and he said a few days back that Blue was going to decommit from UW and announce he was opening up his process.  He also said that Blue is now looking at going out of state since he doesn't want to cause problems within his friends and family if he were to choose Marquette.  He specifically mentioned Syracuse and UConn as possible destinations instead.

Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 01:00:18 PM »
It seems once this all blows over that Marquette would be the perfect fit for Blue for many reasons. It sounds like he really wants to play in the Big East and I'm sure his family and friends would like to be able to come see him play in Milwaukee. Marquette's style of play suits him perfectly. He would be playing with one of his good friends in Maymon. Just seems like so many things point to Marquette as the right place for him. No reason to run away from some crap that will just blow over, he should come to Marquette and play for a Big East Championship and possibly much more. 

4thAndState

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 01:04:43 PM »
FWIW, the guy that wrote this article posts over at Recruiting Planet, and he said a few days back that Blue was going to decommit from UW and announce he was opening up his process.  He also said that Blue is now looking at going out of state since he doesn't want to cause problems within his friends and family if he were to choose Marquette.  He specifically mentioned Syracuse and UConn as possible destinations instead.
bma: Do you (or does the Recruiting Planet piece) mean that he might no longer be considering MU, and has Syracuse and UConn as his two top new choices? Might Blue see MU as too bitter a rival of UW and now just wants a complete change of scenery? The unfortunate part of that is MU would play against him more than if he went to UW.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 01:19:54 PM »

are we still gettting Jamil?

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
Ummm - why prep school and not just finish his senior year at Memorial and go for back to back state championships? The kid is doing fine as a student.

Because he just decommitted to the big State school, which just happens to be across the street.  With how the Badger faithful behaved the last week, I wouldn't put it past some to just show up at his games to heckle him.  Prep out of state would allow him to finish his high school eligiblity without the Badger asshats treating him like roadkill.

Although at the same time they would say, Bo had cooled on him......
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 01:22:43 PM by lurch91 »

bma725

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 01:22:12 PM »
bma: Do you (or does the Recruiting Planet piece) mean that he might no longer be considering MU, and has Syracuse and UConn as his two top new choices? Might Blue see MU as too bitter a rival of UW and now just wants a complete change of scenery? The unfortunate part of that is MU would play against him more than if he went to UW.

Here's the main part of the post:  

To avoid any potential conflict with his friends at Marquette and family here in Madison, Vander is really looking into his out of state options....This past season, his favorite college player was Johnny Flynn, so he has intrest[sic] in Syracuse if they are interested in him. Also via his AAU coach, he said that Uconn has expressed some intrest[sic] in him, and Vander likes that idea also.

It doesn't say we've been eliminated, but tons of schools out of state are going to be looking at the kid, and if he wants to leave he'll have an opportunity to go pretty much anywhere.  It also didn't say that UW was completely out, just that they would have to work to get him back in the fold.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 04:17:56 PM »
Who is this kid? Is he really important enough to warrant a full-on press conference?
We Are Marquette

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 04:24:03 PM »
Who is this kid? Is he really important enough to warrant a full-on press conference?

Knida what I was thinking...I hope he has something more to say than, "I'm going to Wisconsin," or, "I'm not going to Wisconsin."

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 04:31:20 PM »

Anyone can call a press conference, it is up to the press whether to attend or not.  Given the coverage this has gotten from various basketball outlets it seems that it is warranted. 

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 04:34:17 PM »
Odds on favorite for Wisconsin's Mr Basketball 2010, one of the top players nationally, and heard he's working on the bank bailout.

Blue might be guilty of an ego, but the media that is planning on showing up for this new conference is just as guilty for feeding it.  Besides, if a reporter in my home town butchered my character and reputation in a news article, I would certainly want to set the record straight.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 04:35:37 PM »
Anyone can call a press conference, it is up to the press whether to attend or not.  Given the coverage this has gotten from various basketball outlets it seems that it is warranted. 

I think a facebook/twitter update is adaquet. 
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Silky

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 04:39:57 PM »
I still he thinks he stays at UW.  The pressure from his mother to stay is too much as she has to live in Madison and doesn't need the hassle. 

deep vacuum

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2009, 05:39:40 PM »
I still he thinks he stays at UW.  The pressure from his mother to stay is too much as she has to live in Madison and doesn't need the hassle. 
The old enroll in our school we'll make your life miserable recruiting technique.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 05:40:29 PM »

And he is decommitted...

Vander, would be interested in learning more about a school 80 miles east with a fan base that won't ridicule you, your mother, or your best friend and potential future team mate Mr. Maymon, if so, PM me.