'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette's not done recruiting for 09?  (Read 16246 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Marquette's not done recruiting for 09?
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2009, 01:25:48 PM »
There's really only one PF recruit coming in, Roseboro.

Maymon may be listed as a PF by some of the services, but he's really more of a 3.

blows my mind that people see Maymon as a 3 and also see Hayward as a 4.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2009, 01:31:30 PM »

Regardless of who is the "3" or the "4"...it should be fun watching both of them on the court at the same time.

Hayward can best be described as an undersized 4.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2009, 01:32:48 PM »

I wouldn't say Hayward is a 4.  He may play the 4 out of necessity but that doesn't make him one.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2009, 01:38:05 PM »

Hayward's experience at the 4 rebounding still make him a good candidate while our young guys learn.  We can always switch it up with Maymon/Lazar, but I think Hayward will be inside quite a bit still playing the 4 (at least at the start of the season).

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2009, 01:38:19 PM »

Hayward can best be described as an undersized 4.

It's been mentioned on here before that Hayward should play his "natural" position, the 3 but it's also been argued that he's better as an undersized 4 because he's not quick enough to play against most BE 3's and even though he's shorter than most 4's he's tough enough to battle down low and quicker than them to cause some match-up issues for other teams.  i hope Maymom plays the 3 and Zar plays at the 4 next year.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2009, 01:52:28 PM »
In regard to Roseboro, I see him playing more of the 5 than the 4.  I really wonder at 6-10 if he would have the foot speed for the 4 in the big East.

Also the Reason I said it eminated VT, Is because they are now over the limit by either 1 or 2.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2009, 02:00:21 PM »
In regard to Roseboro, I see him playing more of the 5 than the 4.  I really wonder at 6-10 if he would have the foot speed for the 4 in the big East.

Also the Reason I said it eminated VT, Is because they are now over the limit by either 1 or 2.

not sur about the Roseboro comment, in his video's he seemed surprisingly mobile for his size... he certainly isn't a donkey of a big man like in the old days... Clausen I am looking at you.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2009, 09:53:31 PM »
This Hayward talk is confusing me.  Did I watch the right season?  Last season, I saw Hayward score a majority of his points at the three and 12 to 15 foot range.  I saw Hayward as one of the biggest bodies on the floor (sadly) and forced to play a 4 or 5.  I saw a team who had outstanding guard play and never had to ask Hayward to create.  I saw Buzz comment about Hayward saying he was playing out of position.  Where is this small 4 coming from?  Plus, I don't think there will be much distinction between the 2, 3, 4.  Based on last season's offense and Buzz's recruiting, it seems like the offense will be a PG, C, and three wings.

I think Hayward will be huge next season and contend for BE POY.   
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2009, 10:08:01 PM »
This Hayward talk is confusing me.  Did I watch the right season?  Last season, I saw Hayward score a majority of his points at the three and 12 to 15 foot range.  I saw Hayward as one of the biggest bodies on the floor (sadly) and forced to play a 4 or 5.  I saw a team who had outstanding guard play and never had to ask Hayward to create.  I saw Buzz comment about Hayward saying he was playing out of position.  Where is this small 4 coming from?  Plus, I don't think there will be much distinction between the 2, 3, 4.  Based on last season's offense and Buzz's recruiting, it seems like the offense will be a PG, C, and three wings.

I think Hayward will be huge next season and contend for BE POY.   

Was he covered by another 3 or by a 4?  I think that's the question.  If he was covered by a traditional 4, then he has an edge on the perimeter because of his range, they can't keep up with him. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2009, 08:12:56 AM »
It's been mentioned on here before that Hayward should play his "natural" position, the 3 but it's also been argued that he's better as an undersized 4 because he's not quick enough to play against most BE 3's and even though he's shorter than most 4's he's tough enough to battle down low and quicker than them to cause some match-up issues for other teams.  i hope Maymom plays the 3 and Zar plays at the 4 next year.

I agree with this completely.

I think one of Lazar's strengths is his ability to play both positions. I don't think playing "the 3" exclusively would help him in the least.

His versatility and ability to play both positions provide him with an advantage over most forwards, and that needs to be used.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:49:46 AM by 2002mualum »

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2009, 08:21:41 AM »
I think this Thread started about Painter, This is from a Maryland site:  I'm not sure we are still in the running or not.  It sure seems like we are not.

DeShawn Painter Eliminates Virginia Tech–Will Announce on May 18
May 12th, 2009 · No Comments
One of the final pieces on th 2009 Basketball puzzle for Coach Williams is the addition of 6′9″ power forward, DeShawn Painter to the roster. DeShawn had his official visit to College Park this past weekend. Terrapintimes.com reports that DeShawn will make his announcement of where he plans to matriculate on May 18. The choice is down to 2 schools, Maryland and NC State.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2009, 10:14:08 AM »
Wadesworld, any followup to what you originally heard on Painter?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Thomas' Danish Delight

• All American
Painter to NC State
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2009, 11:35:05 PM »
Well, so much for wadesworld's sources...

"ESPNU 100 forward DeShawn Painter made his decision on Wednesday, choosing the N.C. State Wolfpack over Maryland. Painter signed with Florida in the fall but was released from his scholarship in April.

Painter will join fellow ESPNU 100 prospects Lorenzo Brown and Richard Howell along with Scott Wood, Josh Davis and Jordan Vandenberg in the 2009 Wolfpack class."

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/school?schoolId=152&page=briefingroom&season=2009&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fschool%3fschoolId%3d152%26page%3dbriefingroom%26season%3d2009

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2009, 11:59:32 PM »
Yup sorry, I apologize.  I believed a person that I believed to be a reliable source and it turned out he was wrong.  He said it wasn't 100% for sure but that it was likely to happen, but it turns out it won't happen.  My apologies.  Hopefully we can get Vander Blue.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
Agreed, as good as Painter is we really could use Vander Blue more.  We have been spoiled by incredible ball handling the last few years, and with only one year of Acker left I sure would like to know we have two guys who can play the point for 2010-11, preferably both with a year under their belt.  On Hayward, even if he plays a 4, I'm just thrilled he won't have to be our best rebounder on the court all the time so that he can float out and hit threes knowing he will still have two guys who can crash the boards.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).