* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by THRILLHO
[May 18, 2024, 09:50:17 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Mbao, 7-2 center, signs with MU  (Read 9653 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Mbao, 7-2 center, signs with MU
« on: April 27, 2009, 12:00:04 PM »
Mbao, 7-2 center, signs with MU

Youssoupha Mbao, a 7-foot-2, 215-pound center from Stoneridge Prep in Simi Valley, Calif., has signed with the Golden Eagles.

Mbao, who arrived in town on his official visit last night, will have four years of eligibility at MU, and is the seventh player to join coach Buzz Williams' 2009-'10 recruiting class.

"He's an unbelievable kid," said Williams earlier this morning. "He speaks four languages, and his spirit is identifiable as soon as you meet him. We've recruited him all year long, and each time we've seen him he's continued to improve. I think he has a very high ceiling.

"We're excited."

Mbao averaged 13.4 points, 11.2 rebounds and 6.0 blocked shots per game this past season for Stoneridge Prep, which finished 17-13.

MU is now oversigned by one player, and will need to account for that at some point.

MU's season-ending awards banquet is scheduled for early this evening, so I'll have more comments from Williams as well as Mbao and others.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/43782287.html

« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 04:04:12 PM by rocky_warrior »

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Mbao signs
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 12:23:31 PM »
To those that are worried about him coming from a "dipolma mill" and not being up to the rigors of academic life at MU, he speaks 4 languages! Three more than most college freshman and four more than some.

redbirdwarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 01:12:52 PM »
...Five more than Art Long. ;)

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 01:14:39 PM »
averaged a double-double.  nice.

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 01:40:02 PM »
For whatever it's worth, Rosiak also posted the following as a comment in reply to one of the posters on jsonline:
Quote from: Todd Rosiak
I will have more information on his background, and what kind of issues he might be facing moving forward later this evening.

I do know MU has been doing extensive legwork on Mbao for some time, and must feel fairly confident that he'll be able to contribute if not from the get-go this season, very close to it.

A very interesting signing to say the least in many respects. Remember, Buzz Williams was one of the first people to see/deal with Hasheem Thabeet when he came over to the United States.

Mbao could have a huge impact this season even if his offensive game is raw because of his ability to block and alter shots. It's a facet MU hasn't really had since perhaps Amal McCaskill. Or going back even further, Jim McIlvaine.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 01:47:40 PM »
Quote from: Rosiak
For whatever it's worth, Rosiak also posted the following as a comment in reply to one of the posters on jsonline:

I'll admit ignorance.  Anyone know what he's talking about?

I'm very interested to see how this works out.  First nabbing DJO when people thought he wouldn't be ready for another year, and now this kid.  I wonder if there's some truth to the claims that Buzz outworks everyone else on the recruiting trail.  (Teal?)  Hopefully he's picking up some diamonds in the rough based on knowing the rules and making sure he's in the right place at the right time.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 01:59:21 PM »
I'm kinda excited about him.  I think Buzz can judge character, and I hope this kid comes in and really proves himself.  We have always desperately needed someone with his size.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 02:05:52 PM »
What a recruiting class!
But who goes ?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 03:47:33 PM »
To those that are worried about him coming from a "dipolma mill" and not being up to the rigors of academic life at MU, he speaks 4 languages! Three more than most college freshman and four more than some.

First, let me be clear that I have no idea what his academic acumen is, but I suspect it's fairly solid.  Having said that, speaking multiple languages does not mean someone is ready for academic life (nor does it mean the opposite).   There are many people that live in parts of the world where multiple languages and dialects are spoken at home and learned.  I grew up in Peru and Panama before the age of 6.  I spoke multiple languages simply by watching cartoons on television, playing with the school kids, etc.  Speaking multiple languages that you learn from day to day interactivity is a lot different than LEARNING 4 WRITTEN langauges on your own, especially as an adult.  Much different.

GregShimonFor2

• Walk-On
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 03:51:37 PM »
Stunning, Chicos knows all once again. Is there anything you don't know?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 04:00:23 PM »

As someone who has worked in Europe and managed labor crews in over 20 European countries, let me 100% echo Chicos' comments.  To me speaking multiple languages never has been a sign of intelligence but rather proximity to other cultures. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 04:01:25 PM »
First nabbing DJO when people thought he wouldn't be ready for another year, and now this kid. 

I also wonder if Buzz got word early that clearing him wouldn't be a problem, and jumped.  At least I hope that's the case!

GregShimonFor2

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 04:02:33 PM »
As someone who has worked in Europe and managed labor crews in over 20 European countries, let me 100% echo Chicos' comments.  To me speaking multiple languages never has been a sign of intelligence but rather proximity to other cultures. 

Fair enough. Chicos is just under my skin today.

lurch91

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Mbao, 7-2 center, signs with MU
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 04:21:52 PM »
Man, Crean couldn't find a player 6-4 or taller with any kind of ability.  And now we have two 7 footers on the roster???

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 04:28:54 PM »
Mbao, who arrived in town on his official visit last night, will have four years of eligibility at MU, and is the seventh player to join coach Buzz Williams' 2009-'10 recruiting class.        

Aha - I guess I hadn't asked anyone here.  But finally that question is answered, and I can update the scholarship table tonight...

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 04:35:52 PM »
Yeah, how about that Erick dude who can cuss in many languages or EAT who's fluent in jive. Their intelligence is not questioned.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 04:39:45 PM »

Whatever (same response you gave prior).  I brough up a valid point, knowing multiple languages doesn't mean someone is intelligent.  Why is that a problem for you?  It's factually correct (it doesn't mean the opposite either, which I also stated).  Why is it not ok to add to a discussion and provide another point of view?  Doesn't mean someone knows all nor is anyone claiming that.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 04:46:10 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

war1980rior

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 04:59:52 PM »

I'm on both sides of this fence.  I can agree with Chicos, but I spent nearly five years of my childhood in Europe and spoke several languages.  Two very fluently (read and write both), along with a strong working knowledge of three others.  I later picked up Spanish (back in the States of all places).  That said, I've found out that all but two of these languages could be catagorized as only a restaurant skill (I can easily read a German or Italian Menu but not talk to an auto mechanic).  I knew the languages close to me (geographically) the best.  If this guy can read and write multiple languages, that's shows education.  If they are geographically far apart, it's another tough skill altogether.

I guess I'm trying to say we should think of him as academically qualified before we judge him anything else.  From what I've taken in about Buzz Williams is he looks for character first, work ethic second, and athletic skill third.  My bet is that if he isn't strong academically, he has probably demonstrated some kind of work ethic to Buzz that says he'll make the cut over four years at MU.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 05:20:33 PM »
I'm sorry, six blocked shots a game?  I'm excited.  How many of our close losses could we have pulled out the last two years if everyone didn't know they could get the ball 4 feet from the basket and get a good look at the rim.  McIlvaine, you are going DOWN!  I never thought your record 142 blocked shots your final season (just over four a game) would ever go down, but Mbao has one inch on you and four years to perfect his shot blocking to know you down to No. 2 in the record book!
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 05:27:27 PM »
Quote from: Todd "The Stud" Rosiak
I will have more information on his background, and what kind of issues he might be facing moving forward later this evening.

I do know MU has been doing extensive legwork on Mbao for some time, and must feel fairly confident that he'll be able to contribute if not from the get-go this season, very close to it.

A very interesting signing to say the least in many respects. Remember, Buzz Williams was one of the first people to see/deal with Hasheem Thabeet when he came over to the United States.

Mbao could have a huge impact this season even if his offensive game is raw because of his ability to block and alter shots. It's a facet MU hasn't really had since perhaps Amal McCaskill. Or going back even further, Jim McIlvaine.

Does anyone remember ^^^?

I sure don't. Was it during Thabeet's time in Houston?
SS Marquette

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2009, 07:38:30 PM »
I think Buzz helped place him at his high school.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2009, 08:07:15 PM »
Whatever (same response you gave prior).  I brough up a valid point, knowing multiple languages doesn't mean someone is intelligent.  Why is that a problem for you?  It's factually correct (it doesn't mean the opposite either, which I also stated).  Why is it not ok to add to a discussion and provide another point of view?  Doesn't mean someone knows all nor is anyone claiming that.

Ergo, Chicos is calling himself a dumbass.   ;D   :P

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 08:15:20 PM »
Ergo, Chicos is calling himself a dumbass.   ;D   :P
Kudos to Chico's.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward recovery. ;)

(I'm only joking, Chico's).

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2009, 08:27:16 AM »
Finally, I got the scholarship table updated.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=8

I presume I'll be removing Liam soon to resolve the -1.  However, I'll wait until official word comes out on the resolution.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2009, 10:53:38 AM »
Finally, I got the scholarship table updated.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?page=8

I presume I'll be removing Liam soon to resolve the -1.  However, I'll wait until official word comes out on the resolution.

Man... 5 seniors graduating after the 2012-2013 season?  I had the impression that bringing in a few JUCOs was going to help to even out how many kids were leaving each year.  I suppose we'll have to send some underclassmen to the NBA to make yearly recruiting more manageable. :p

feedback