[Today at 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[Today at 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Blackledge  (Read 2860 times)

MarquetteFan94

• All American
Blackledge
« on: January 20, 2008, 05:22:48 PM »
So, somebody please give me a good reason why he should not start on Saturday against DPU.  Sure he has a propensity for fouls and is limited on the offensive end but his energy, length, shot blocking ability and athleticism deserves a shot in the starting lineup.

After watching Burke and Barro combine for 50 minutes, 7 rebounds and 0 points the last two games I think it's time to give Trend a shot....certainly can't be much worse.  Also, how raw must Hazel be to not being seeing any minutes until late today...wow.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: Blackledge
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 05:24:53 PM »
Here's one reason:  4 PFs in 8 minutes today.

.. but I agree.  He should play much much more.   Can't get much worse, as you said.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 08:06:35 PM »
anyone remember who was president the last time one of our centers scored a point?

mcnaulty21

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 02:11:55 AM »
anyone remember who was president the last time one of our centers scored a point?
Amyone remember who was president the last time we had a true center?
Warrior 'til I die

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 07:50:16 AM »
So, somebody please give me a good reason why he should not start on Saturday against DPU. 

Barro and Burke can at least put a body on a big guy and make them work a little.  Let's not make Blackledge out to be a stud defender in the middle because he had a few good trips down the floor against Harangody.  He is overmatched when asked to defend a big college PF/C type because he lacks the bulk.  I'd like to see him get some minutes at the 4 where Burke or Barro can hold up the big guy a little and then Blackledge can get some blocks as a help defender.  But that brings problems to the offensive end of the floor where you're then playing 3 on 5.  He can't be the center on a team without a true power forward.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 08:14:53 AM »

president gw bush during his first term.  we had robert jackson.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 09:20:32 AM »
So, somebody please give me a good reason why he should not start on Saturday against DPU. 

Barro and Burke can at least put a body on a big guy and make them work a little.  Let's not make Blackledge out to be a stud defender in the middle because he had a few good trips down the floor against Harangody.  He is overmatched when asked to defend a big college PF/C type because he lacks the bulk.  I'd like to see him get some minutes at the 4 where Burke or Barro can hold up the big guy a little and then Blackledge can get some blocks as a help defender.  But that brings problems to the offensive end of the floor where you're then playing 3 on 5.  He can't be the center on a team without a true power forward.

I don't think anyone is calling Blackledge a stud defender...if anything, just the opposite.  This team needs to play to its strengths which is ball pressure and speed on defense....we will continue to lose when the game gets into a knock-down, drag-out half court game.  Why in the world were we playing with a fury when we were already down by over 20 in the second half yesterday?  Why were we not contantly pressuring in the backcourt...all day?!  Clearly the game was out of hand by then but we were knocking down shots and creating turnovers....it seemed like we found a rhythm....is there a reason we don't always play that way?  We have a solid, 5 guard rotation that can cause a ton of problems for teams. I'm not looking for 40 minutes of hell here but how about 20 or 30?

Sure, the other team can try to inflict their style on us too but if we're constantly pressuring in the backcourt they'll have no choice but to push it up the floor.  Blackledge suits that style of play better than Barro or Burke.  When we get into a half-court, slow tempo game then we could use Burke and Barro as bodies down low...they give us nothing other than that...we need much more of a Blackledge-Barro-Burke three headed monster (in terms of minutes) rather than Trend getting the sparse minutes he's seeing now....again, we certainly can't do much worse.

Barro and Burke have averaged 3.2 points and 6.2 rebounds over the last 5 games between them....ouch.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 09:25:31 AM »
I would only play Blackledge in a package where the team does a full court press.  That is where his athleticism would shine.  But the problem is we would need to score consistently so we could apply the pressure.  Otherwise he is way too foul prone.  We are better off starting Barro and building up his confidence. 

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 10:15:17 AM »

GW Bush. Robert Jackson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 12:17:52 PM »
Actually, at this point - just to switch things up - I'd like to see Barro start at the 5, Blackledge at the 4, Hayward at 3, with 2 random guards (really, just pick two).

Sure we'd have to switch to 3 guards to give Blackledge a blow.

It might be a recipe for disaster (esp since we seemed to do great at the end of UConn with 5 guards), but I'd like to see it nonetheless.  Still a quick team, but with two lanky guys in the middle instead of 1.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 06:29:44 PM »
Actually, at this point - just to switch things up - I'd like to see Barro start at the 5, Blackledge at the 4, Hayward at 3, with 2 random guards (really, just pick two).

It might be a recipe for disaster (esp since we seemed to do great at the end of UConn with 5 guards), but I'd like to see it nonetheless.  Still a quick team, but with two lanky guys in the middle instead of 1.

I agree i don't know why we don't try it.  Especially when riece is in the game.  We can't afford to give up so many inches.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 08:15:59 AM »

I agree i don't know why we don't try it.  Especially when riece is in the game.  We can't afford to give up so many inches.

I, too, like the idea of Barro and Blackledge up front, along with Hayward and a couple of guards. I don't like, however, the idea of doing with Acker in the game. It would just limit our scoring possibilities. Only Hayward, and perhaps James or McNeal would be realistic scoring options. How about Barro, Blackledge, Hayward, McNeal and James?

I wonder whether, with the way the team is playing, TC is mired in the dilemma of whether to play bigger or smaller. We've obviously gotten pounded inside in the last 3 games, so we need to be bigger (or better? or something?) on defense. But, our bigs are miserable on offense, so we lose something there.

If we go smaller, our strategy has been to attack the basket. Our guards have not been able to get decent shots off in the lane, and, when and if they do push it back outside, our shooters can't hit it.

So, which way to go? I don't think there will be a clear answer until someone steps up. Will it be one of the Bs? Will it be a shooter?

Lastly, about the idea of using Blackledge when pressing, in order to help hide his lack of strength against a strong big man in a half court offense: I'm worried that his defensive "maturity" isn't up to his athleticism. My fear, then is that he commits a lot of reaching fouls, as he can get to the play, but can't effectively defend it.

feedback