'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: BJ Young to Arkansas  (Read 11906 times)

SPCMU06

• Walk-On
BJ Young to Arkansas
« on: September 05, 2010, 03:56:49 PM »
11:50AM PDT
According to Matt Scott of www.TheShiver.com, ESPNU 100 shooting guard B.J. Young verbally committed to Arkansas on Sunday.

The 6-foot-3 Young chose the Razorbacks over Indiana, Illinois State, Baylor and Marquette.

"I just felt it was the best fit for me and I wanted to concentrate on school and getting better," Young told the site.

Young is the third ESPNU 100 to pick Arkansas, joining Aaron Ross and Hunter Mickelson.

MUFan11

• Walk-On
Re: BJ Young to Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 06:08:51 PM »
This one stings a little bit

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:09:37 PM »
We better start to land some of these guys we are allegedly in on.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 07:16:22 PM »
This one stings a little bit

I don't think it stings at all.  I'm not sold that Young was in the upper grouping of players Marquette is involved with and I think it was the same on the Young side as far as his interest in Marquette.  Just because a player has a school on his list doesn't mean there's a serious interest either way.  I don't think Young ever had an unofficial visit to Marquette.

If Buzz Williams can nail down one or two of Juan Anderson, Nick Faust, D'Angelo Harrison, Rodney Hood, Trey McDonald and Mike Shaw, it will be a successful fall signing period since you already have Jamil Wilson and David Singleton in the program.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 07:43:51 PM »
I totally agree TedBaxter. I think this one we were a long shot in. I believe I read somewhere he has family in Arkansas. Also, it could be a Justin Coleman situation where he might not qualify. I'm more disappointed by the Dawson to MSU than this by far. Just because I thought we had a real shot. We are in on some very good players. If we get any of those that you mentioned I will be very excited, and we might be able to get more than one of those. People are freaking out that we don't have any commits, but we are in on some top players. They tend to wait a little longer. I have no doubts that Buzz will put together another very good class.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 08:01:31 PM »
Academically speaking, I'm thrilled we missed.  He's played half of one high school season in his career as a result of academics and transfers. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 08:42:20 PM »
Well then Arkansas is probably a good academic fit since they are so far off the middle of the road, they're more like on the shoulder.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 09:06:38 PM »
Academically speaking, I'm thrilled we missed.  He's played half of one high school season in his career as a result of academics and transfers. 

How the hell was IU recruiting this kid?

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 08:04:12 AM »
I don't think it stings at all.  I'm not sold that Young was in the upper grouping of players Marquette is involved with and I think it was the same on the Young side as far as his interest in Marquette.  Just because a player has a school on his list doesn't mean there's a serious interest either way.  I don't think Young ever had an unofficial visit to Marquette.

If Buzz Williams can nail down one or two of Juan Anderson, Nick Faust, D'Angelo Harrison, Rodney Hood, Trey McDonald and Mike Shaw, it will be a successful fall signing period since you already have Jamil Wilson and David Singleton in the program.

and one+!

i think mu and iu were window dressing for this guy...oh yeah, he forgot to add duke and north carolina ;D  watch arkansas drop him for academic reasons and he'll end up at coppin state or univ. of maryland-baltimore county...

TJ

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 11:14:19 AM »

Who is David Singleton?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 11:50:16 AM »
How the hell was IU recruiting this kid?

Haven't you been following long the last few months.   ?-(

TedBaxter

• All American
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 12:51:30 PM »

I agree that this one is not so big of a deal. Sounds like there are question marks, and MU never really seemed to be a likely destination (although the same could be said for Arkansas--IU seemed most likely). I think I would rather have any of the players you mentioned ahead of Young.  I especially like Rodney Hood, someone we haven't heard about in a while. At 6'8 and a great 3 pt shooter, he'd be a dream in Buzz's system. He has the size to play 4 on defense and versatility to play anywhere on offense. Any word on his recruitment lately?

Also, Trey McDonald is a new name to me. I looked him up on Rivals, etc., but there doesn't seem to be much info out there. Is he giving us a good look?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 12:55:53 PM »
Haven't you been following long the last few months.   ?-(

Actually I was following recruiting last year when, despite (allegedly) being placed in shackes by his bosses Crean was recruiting kids who wound up at (yikes) Kentucky and Memphis.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 01:37:43 PM »
Actually I was following recruiting last year when, despite (allegedly) being placed in shackes by his bosses Crean was recruiting kids who wound up at (yikes) Kentucky and Memphis.

And the academics of those two kids?   Teague and Jelan Kendrick....oh, that's right....solid. Zero issues. That's why they were offered by Wake Forest, Duke, UCLA, Georgia Tech, etc.

So, again, you are wrong.  Those shackles did exist...or wait, are you saying only academic risks go to Kentucky and Memphis?  Is that what you're saying?   ::).   Or are you saying because Memphis and Kentucky are shady that makes every kid that plays there shady as well, and thus any other school recruiting those same kids is also in question?

Now, back to those shackles ... as they are lifted, which they are slowly, IU will again be able to take on some risks the further and further they get away from Kelvin Sampson.  Teague and Kendrick were not academic risks.  Keep trying, it's always fun.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 12:07:59 AM »
http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/singleton_dave00.html

Thanks.  I'm still confused.  There is no information about him anywhere on this board or in the wiki.  Is he a transfer and redshirting or was HPU considered a juco?  How do we have a scholarship for him or is he a walk-on?  When did join the team?  Anything else anyone knows about him?

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 01:26:39 AM »
TJ - Singleton actually was playing at High Point and decided to transfer to MU as a walk-on.  I went back and researched and he actually averaged something 3 steals a game in several games against Big East and ACC schools, so he looks legit.  This is a walk-on we could seriously see being on the court particularly if we go with the 40 minutes of hell that Buzz seemed to want to do early last year but for lack of a deep enough bench.

was a bit turnover prone though in the games against BCS schools.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

marquette99

• Starter
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 01:41:35 AM »
With all the guys who will have another year under their belt and wilson and singleton coming on, 2012 will be the best team since 2003 even if we don't land any other recruit. Its all icing on the cake now, so be patient.  For the first time since the 70s we don't need any more, so let's just take our time and get the best fit.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 10:39:29 AM »
With all the guys who will have another year under their belt and wilson and singleton coming on, 2012 will be the best team since 2003 even if we don't land any other recruit. Its all icing on the cake now, so be patient.  For the first time since the 70s we don't need any more, so let's just take our time and get the best fit.

This is precisely why we do need major recruits. We all know the depth of the team at positions 1-3, currently and looking forward. We can also all agree that this roster is sorely lacking a couple impact bigs, especially a power forward. So when there is a roster that looks great 1-3, has a couple solid prospects at the 5, but has a gaping hole at the 4, why wouldn't now be an important time to fill those holes to make sure the rest of the talent isn't hampered by roster deficiencies? This ream needs more players inside to reach its potential (which I believe is Final 4 level).

Now that we have such a nice looking roster set up, some people seem to take the attitude of "look how good we'll be, we won't suffer if we can't add much in this class. Lets just watch these guys develop" I call bs on that. We need to always be striving to get the best players we possibly can.

One thing i know is, Buzz Williams doesn't think that way. I love how Buzz says he wants to build a program at MU, not teams. Thats what I want too-every year there should be good players leaving and better players coming in, and there should be battle for pt at every position on the floor. Thats how the really big boys do it. MU isn't quite there yet, but they haven't been this close to having a truly great program since Al. These next 2 classes will be critical to reaching that level.

If Buzz can't land any of his top targets this year, it will be a major disappointment for the program. Simple as that.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 10:55:51 AM »
This is precisely why we do need major recruits. We all know the depth of the team at positions 1-3, currently and looking forward. We can also all agree that this roster is sorely lacking a couple impact bigs, especially a power forward. So when there is a roster that looks great 1-3, has a couple solid prospects at the 5, but has a gaping hole at the 4, why wouldn't now be an important time to fill those holes to make sure the rest of the talent isn't hampered by roster deficiencies? This ream needs more players inside to reach its potential (which I believe is Final 4 level).

Now that we have such a nice looking roster set up, some people seem to take the attitude of "look how good we'll be, we won't suffer if we can't add much in this class. Lets just watch these guys develop" I call bs on that. We need to always be striving to get the best players we possibly can.

One thing i know is, Buzz Williams doesn't think that way. I love how Buzz says he wants to build a program at MU, not teams. Thats what I want too-every year there should be good players leaving and better players coming in, and there should be battle for pt at every position on the floor. Thats how the really big boys do it. MU isn't quite there yet, but they haven't been this close to having a truly great program since Al. These next 2 classes will be critical to reaching that level.

If Buzz can't land any of his top targets this year, it will be a major disappointment for the program. Simple as that.
This is like a repeat of a post from 2003 with a couple names changed.  Hopefully it goes better this time.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2010, 11:02:30 AM »
I thought BJ Young was a "LOCK"!!!! for Indiana.  Those guys are lunatics.  Every 4 or 5 star recruit that mentions them is an absolute stone cold, lead pipe lock and then signs elsewhere and is replaced with a 2 or 3 star recruit.  Kyrie Irving stone cold LOCK, BJ Young stone cold LOCK, every kid that mentions IU translates into them being the leader and him being a LOCK.  pretty pathetic.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 01:33:01 PM »
Cincy on the recruiting board with Shaq Thomas committing today (Tim Thomas's nephew).

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 02:45:49 PM »
Heard the other day on ESPNU that Young has yet to play one game of High School ball--it has all been AAU, due to academic credits and issues.

I guess his going to Arkansas is not any major loss to MU with that resume.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback