[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mike Hunt  (Read 7139 times)

77fan88warrior

• All American
Mike Hunt
« on: January 30, 2008, 07:01:24 PM »
Who?  Mike Hunt

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=712706
It's amazing that he didn't bring up UWM or ND. Why does this guy hate us so much?
None of us are happy about the blowouts but I think they make this blow hard very happy.

James, who has yet to recapture the level of his freshman-season play

I found the staement above relatively cheap.

James, Golden Eagles still searching for true identity
Posted: Jan. 29, 2008

Michael Hunt

The game had been over for almost half an hour and workers were taking up the Bradley Center floor, but there was Dominic James, all alone, shooting free throws.

Goodness knows, he needed the practice.

The junior point guard who wisely thought better of making himself available for the NBA draft last season was 1 for 6 from the line Tuesday night in a game Marquette should've won going away. He was 1 for 7 from the floor, scored three points and played just 19 minutes in the Golden Eagles' wobbly 62-54 victory against South Florida.

No one had to ask Tom Crean why James was on the bench for more than half the game; the answer was self-evident. The Marquette coach has the depth to go elsewhere when James is off, which wasn't exactly the case the last two years, and he has done just that of late.

"We needed to win this game," Crean said. "We needed to go with what was working."

Lazar Hayward, with 23 points, was working. So was Wesley Matthews, whose two late three-point shots bailed out the Eagles against maybe the least of the Big East in a game they absolutely could not afford to lose, not with what is around the scheduling bend.

"We're going to come out and play Marquette basketball," Matthews said when needlessly reminded that Marquette's next four are at Cincinnati, against Louisville, at Notre Dame and at Seton Hall.

But what exactly is Marquette basketball these days?

Back on Dec. 8, when Marquette went into Wisconsin and beat the Badgers in a place almost no opponent wins, Crean called the robust performance a "signature" victory. And so it was, signed in indelible ink on the backboards.

But what everyone with a vested interest in the Eagles is waiting for is a signature season, at least since the end of the Dwyane Wade era. No one needs to be reminded that Marquette hasn't won an NCAA tournament game since No. 3 left the building, despite the expectations created by the arrival of the three guards who would come to define the Eagles' perimeter-heavy personality.

And just when it looked as if Marquette had finally established the kind of toughness it would require to offset the inside game it lacked, along came the back-to-back road floggings to Louisville and Connecticut by an eyebrow-raising average of 23 points. And after outrebounding a very big, very physical team in Madison, the Eagles had not beaten anyone on the boards in their last six games.

They didn't beat the 10-11 Bulls on the boards, either. In fact, Marquette caught a break when Kentrell Gransberry, who led the nation in rebounding last season, fouled out with a little more than 4 minutes left in an even game. Gransberry's absence was quickly followed by Matthews' pair of threes, but otherwise it was such a struggle on offense for Marquette.

"Man, if you'd told me before the game that Dominic James would have three and Jerel McNeal would have six, I'd say, 'Hey, we've got a shot,' " South Florida coach Stan Heath said.

In the third season of James-Matthews-McNeal, Marquette can squeeze by a team like South Florida if two of them are off, but James, who has yet to recapture the level of his freshman-season play, has to step it up for Marquette to get where it wants to go.

But it's more than James. Still searching for an identity, Marquette needs to find it in a hurry. The Big East won't wait.

Send e-mail to mhunt@journalsentinel.com

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: Mike Hunt
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 07:14:02 PM »
Mike has been pretty fair to us in the past - and I can't say I disagree with him much now either.

Maybe a little hard on James - since for the most part James has been good this year.  But last night was his worst game ever...

scooter

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:24:41 PM »
I agree.  I don't think he's too far off base with the exception of the generalization about James' whole season.  I mean honestly, after watching this recent stretch of games can anyone say they're okay with how we're playing?  We will not win too many more games if we continue to play as we have in these recent games.  Even the Depaul game was inconsistent.  Poor start and poor finish in that one.  We are certainly capable of stepping it up, but let's get it started!!!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 07:32:51 PM »
James was magical his freshman year. Maybe it was the first year of the Big East...Novak's huge game versus UCONN...the fact we got a highly regarded PG from other top DI schools...whatever it was, he hasn't recaptured the magic.

Sophomore year was a disappointment. Playing with the NBA was a disaster.

This year hasn't been too impressive either.

James deserves the scrutiny.

It's up to him to shoot the ball well, not drive to the baseline to decide when to get rid of the ball, to show Hunt and other doubters (like me) that he not only belongs among the top players in the Big East, but top players in the country.
SS Marquette

tweakers_suck

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 07:55:41 PM »
Mike Hunt
Mike Hunt
Mike Hunt

Have you ever said Mike Hunt three  times really fast?

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 08:12:11 PM »

I think he comments are fair. Hard to believe James was seroius about going pro. He certainly has not looked like NBA material most of this season.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 08:15:33 PM »
Sorry, but DJ did look like NBA material until that cheap under-cut shot by that SHU guy.  Injuries do have an impact........!!!

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 08:54:53 PM »
Mike Hunt
Mike Hunt
Mike Hunt

Have you ever said Mike Hunt three  times really fast?

Mike Hunt itches.   8-)

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 09:03:58 PM »
TC had Hunt in his pocket for awhile.  Not so much anymore, but he rarely grills us.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Eye

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2008, 09:44:21 PM »
I don't think the column is completely unfair or inaccurate. The fact that it wasn't written nine days ago is the bad part. If that appears the day after the UConn game, it carries a lot more punch and isn't questioned much on here.
GO WARRIORS!

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Michael Hunt’s math
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 05:17:09 AM »
And just when it looked as if Marquette had finally established the kind of toughness it would require to offset the inside game it lacked, along came the back-to-back road floggings to Louisville and Connecticut by an eyebrow-raising average of 23 points. And after outrebounding a very big, very physical team in Madison, the Eagles had not beaten anyone on the boards in their last six games.
Assuming that Michael Hunt is well aware of the giggles that come with assigning certain first names to certain surnames, I will go past that and say only this: Check your math, Michael.

Marquette lost by a painful 20 points to Louisville on Jan. 17, and then by an equally disturbing 16 points to Connecticut on Jan. 20.

These losses were by an “eyebrow-raising” average of 18 points, not 23.

I think a correction is in order, if only in the name of accuracy.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 05:20:40 AM by MU Avenue »

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 08:09:37 AM »
What is wrong with this column? It's dead-on.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2008, 08:23:20 AM »
Hunt's column reflects the disappointment that many of us feel.  But, not too late to turn it around.  Let's hope for a great game vs. Cincy to jump start the second half of the BE season.

Dry White Toast

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2008, 08:30:23 AM »
Is he related to Semour Butz?

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 08:50:18 AM »
Or the immortal ex-major leaguer Rusty Kuntz.

NateDoggMarq

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2008, 08:56:29 AM »
I always found it funny that he goes by michael.

if Mike Hunt was my name I would totally play that to my full advantage.

If you saw a resume with Mike Hunt on it, it probably catches your eye.

MUCrisco

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2008, 09:32:26 AM »

In the post game interview, Crean said that James was sick.  Also, he got hit in the gut near the start of the game.  It's curious that Hunt chose this time to write the article.

Mike Hunt is one of the worst writers that I have seen in a newspaper.  I'm not really talking about the content.  He never has any clear focus and just rambles on.  I don't know how he was hired as a jounalist.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2008, 09:36:43 AM »

In the post game interview, Crean said that James was sick.  Also, he got hit in the gut near the start of the game.  It's curious that Hunt chose this time to write the article.

What are you talking about? Crean's post game comments suggested very strongly that James was benched, hence the column.

MUCrisco

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2008, 09:39:05 AM »
From two sources that were at the post game press conference, Crean said that James was sick and he got hit in the gut.  That's what I am talking about.

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Can we get past the infantile jokes?
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2008, 09:54:25 AM »
We all know that children giggle when they hear or read the name “Mike” preceding the surname “Hunt.”

We have all heard the joke about “Rusty Zipper” or “Ben Dover” or “Dick Hertz” or “I.P. Daily.”

Yes, there was a professional baseball player named Russell Jay “Rusty” Kuntz. I know a woman whose maiden name is Sharon Cox. And there were a couple in a town where I once lived named Harry and Harriet Beaver.

Any chance that we -- anytime soon -- can get past the fact that there is a columnist at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel named Michael Hunt? I feel like I am reading a script from an episode of “Beavis & Butt-Head.”

Also, MUCrisco: I think Michael Hunt is a pretty good writer and columnist -- direct, factual for the most part and fair while still taking a position. I am not sure you should be doling out criticism of his writing or of anyone else’s.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 09:56:24 AM by MU Avenue »

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2008, 09:56:56 AM »
From two sources that were at the post game press conference, Crean said that James was sick and he got hit in the gut.  That's what I am talking about.

From Rosiak, who I assume was at the post game press conference:

He was also benched for a good portion of the first half by coach Tom Crean, and again to open the second half as Crean went with Maurice Acker at the point.

When asked about it afterward, Crean didn't mince words.

"I'm not focused on any of that," he said. "I'm focused on what it takes to win that game, and playing momentum. Sometimes it's just not people's nights, you know? And when you don't have depth there's not a lot you can do about it. When you do, you do something."

I'm not sure if it can be made any clearer.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2008, 10:03:01 AM »
NO

Porky's Memorable Quotes

Wendy: Is Mike Hunt here? Has anyone seen Mike Hunt?
Meat: Everybody in town, from what I hear.

And the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWiKmyzDJx8

MUCrisco

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2008, 10:13:24 AM »

From Rosiak, who I assume was at the post game press conference:

He was also benched for a good portion of the first half by coach Tom Crean, and again to open the second half as Crean went with Maurice Acker at the point.

When asked about it afterward, Crean didn't mince words.

"I'm not focused on any of that," he said. "I'm focused on what it takes to win that game, and playing momentum. Sometimes it's just not people's nights, you know? And when you don't have depth there's not a lot you can do about it. When you do, you do something."

I'm not sure if it can be made any clearer.

Or he chose not to write about it.  Scout's student writer was at the game and he said this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crean said that he didnt see DJ get hit in the stomach but said in his post game media interview that DJ was ill before, with a stomach flu type thing.  He gutted it out, but Crean said "with depth, you can deal with these things"

I

I'm not sure why he would lie about that.

MUAve...I'm not the only one who thinks this.  I'm not allowed to have an opinion?

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2008, 10:37:21 AM »
How immature with the Mike Hunt comments!

That said, the Knicks used to have an assistant coach named Dick Harter...  ;D

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
Re: Can we get past the infantile jokes?
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2008, 10:46:12 AM »
We all know that children giggle when they hear or read the name “Mike” preceding the surname “Hunt.”

We have all heard the joke about “Rusty Zipper” or “Ben Dover” or “Dick Hertz” or “I.P. Daily.”

Yes, there was a professional baseball player named Russell Jay “Rusty” Kuntz. I know a woman whose maiden name is Sharon Cox. And there were a couple in a town where I once lived named Harry and Harriet Beaver.

Any chance that we -- anytime soon -- can get past the fact that there is a columnist at the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel named Michael Hunt? I feel like I am reading a script from an episode of “Beavis & Butt-Head.”

Also, MUCrisco: I think Michael Hunt is a pretty good writer and columnist -- direct, factual for the most part and fair while still taking a position. I am not sure you should be doling out criticism of his writing or of anyone else’s.

HAHAHAHA.... you said Mike Hunt.  hahahahaha Mike Hunt, Mike Hunt, Mike Hunt

feedback