[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Mexico?  (Read 31133 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Mexico?
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2018, 10:56:34 PM »
guns were banned in 1997-knives, wait...people with knives kill people just as dead

Are you being serious or joking?  Do you have a link?

OK ... it took me awhile, but this clinches it about who chicos is.

Yogi (chicos) and Boo Boo (rocket) doing their schtick about knives.

A belated welcome back, Banny McBannerson!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #126 on: April 03, 2018, 06:02:41 AM »

Take a look at the guns you can legally buy in the UK. The UK banned handguns in 1997, but citizens are still able to own and shoot some shotguns and rifles with a license. ... For firearms other than a shotgun, applicants must give police a "good reason" for wanting to own one.
don't...don't don't don't don't

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 03, 2018, 09:16:34 AM »

Take a look at the guns you can legally buy in the UK. The UK banned handguns in 1997, but citizens are still able to own and shoot some shotguns and rifles with a license. ... For firearms other than a shotgun, applicants must give police a "good reason" for wanting to own one.

That seems like an entirely reasonable policy.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 03, 2018, 12:42:57 PM »

That's an enviable policy, one our country should consider.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #129 on: April 03, 2018, 12:47:46 PM »
That's an enviable policy, one our country should consider.

well find someone who will run on that and put 'er to the people.  that's usually how things are done here, unless ya have a phone and a pen, eyn'a?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2018, 02:17:02 PM »
well find someone who will run on that and put 'er to the people.  that's usually how things are done here, unless ya have a phone and a pen, eyn'a?

You're right about that, rocket.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2018, 03:09:47 PM »
Keep your guns and your knives at White Lives Matter Ranch, Chicos.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2018, 03:17:13 PM »
Keep your guns and your knives at White Lives Matter Ranch, Chicos.

Thank goodness the Vegas killer was a shooter instead of a stabber. He could have done some serious damage if he had a few knives!

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2018, 09:32:07 AM »

I think you are jumping to conclusions in the hope of winning a political argument.  Two months is not a trend, especially with one of those months having only one murder difference.  There are still some killings that remain unsolved and are not classified as murders yet.  Yes, it is somewhat eye opening historically to even have this discussion, but wait for more data.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43628494
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2018, 06:50:30 PM »
Another good thread ruined.

In before the lock.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2018, 07:03:28 PM »
Another good thread ruined.

In before the lock.

a usual suspect, not surprising.

And Chicos.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2018, 07:16:44 PM »
We traveled to a different resort (scheduled). Still no robbery, assault, murder or drugging.

I must be doing Mexico wrong

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2018, 07:39:25 PM »
We traveled to a different resort (scheduled). Still no robbery, assault, murder or drugging.

i understand why people will make light of the tragedies that have occurred, but in order for the state department to issue warnings (and i'm not criticizing you jesmu for your comment specifically) but this is one of those if a tree falls in the woods kind of things.  until it happens to someone you know or hits closer to home, is it really a bunch of over-hyped gak?  in other words, we must admit that these incidents are occurring at a rate a little more than one's chances of winning a lottery. 

just be careful out there and be safe, that's all   

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2018, 07:50:32 PM »

This reminds me of the time 4-year-old chick jr. let go of my hand in a Target parking lot, ran to the middle of a driving lane and said,  "Look! No cars are hitting me!"
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2018, 07:52:36 PM »
We got back from a cruise on Sunday .. stopped in two Mexican ports; survived.

I did have an interesting conversation with a native Texan who opened a bar/restaurant on the beach in Costa Maya for the past 10 years.

He spoke of very strict regs, like if he wanted to add a few more beach loungers, he'd have to give up some tables/chairs.   Why?  Environmental impact.  Beach loungers have sunscreen on, and they swim in the ocean, polluting it.  He said there'd be a Mexican official who'd stroll by every so often, making sure you didn't exceed your chair limit.

Or that if you wanted to build a house, you'd better get a $15k analysis on where it could be built due to environmental regs.  If you didn't .. or the local official improperly signed off, but it was later checked .. you'd be in big trouble.

Meanwhile, officials can absolutely be bribed, and liquor is being tainted and distributed.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2018, 08:35:48 PM »
a usual suspect, not surprising.

And Chicos.

Both sides of the aisle ruin it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #141 on: April 05, 2018, 07:17:39 AM »
Or that if you wanted to build a house, you'd better get a $15k analysis on where it could be built due to environmental regs.  If you didn't .. or the local official improperly signed off, but it was later checked .. you'd be in big trouble.

If you're thinking of building a house in Mexico, think long and hard about that decision.  My parents did it in about 1995 or so.  They had some good times there, but overall, it's been a total cluster f*$%.    When it's all said and done, they basically threw their money away.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 10:56:47 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #142 on: April 05, 2018, 07:24:55 AM »
If you're thinking of building a house in Mexico, thing long and hard about that decision.  My parents did it in about 1995 or so.  They had some good times there, but overall, it's been a total cluster f*$%.    When it's all said and done, they basically threw their money away.

Interesting.  Is this because of political unrest or other factors?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #143 on: April 05, 2018, 07:58:15 AM »
Interesting.  Is this because of political unrest or other factors?

Both "political unrest" (i.e., crime) and other factors.  Lots of other factors.  First of all, whenever they were away from the house for extended periods of time (which was often...it was a second home, after all), everything that wasn't bolted down got stolen.  And even some of the stuff that was bolted down.  They had one small strong room in the house (think pantry size) where they put anything valuable that had to stay.  I don't think that was ever actually breached. But everything else they either had to be resigned to it being stolen or haul it back and forth.  Eventually, they had a big trailer that they had to take every time they went there so they could haul their stuff.  Major pain in the ass.  They just had to come to terms with the fact that people would be in their house while they were away (using stove, eating any food they found, leaving a mess).  For anyone who has been robbed, you probably recall the feeling of being violated.  That became their "normal."

There was also the little issue  about 10-15 years ago when they were told that the guy who sold them the property that they built on didn't actually own it.  So, by extension, they didn't own it.  Hmmmm...that's a problem.  Now, one could question whether they did proper due diligence at the time of purchase.  I honestly don't know.  One could also question whether the guy did, actually, own it (as he claims), but now someone else it trying to defraud him and all the home owners in the neighborhood.  Presumably, those questions should be asked in the litigation that has now been ongoing for many, many years with no discernible progress.  Justice isn't swift in Mexico...at least not in such cases.  And, most people they've talked to have explained that "justice" will be largely influenced by connections, influence and bribes.  And it has made it pretty much impossible for them to sell the house.

Then, there was the time within the last year or so when the guy who built the house was squatting in it, claiming that my parents had abandoned it so he now owned it.  My dad had to make an emergency trip down with my nephew and have the police remove him.

All in all, despite some good times, it's been a pain in the ass.  My parents are too old now, so they will probably never go back.  Unfortunately, for the last 10 years they have been reluctant to go often because the 60 mile drive across NW Mexico wasn't particularly safe.  Some of my siblings have gone from time to time, but not often.  When they first built it, it was fantastic (notwithstanding the theft issues).  They had a really cool house on an amazing beach that was within easy driving distance from their home in Phoenix.  But overall, it's been a bit of a disaster.  For what they spent, they could have had some pretty awesome vacations without all the headaches.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:51:46 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #144 on: April 05, 2018, 08:32:56 AM »
So much for all the House Hunters International that looks great on TV.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2018, 09:04:16 AM »
i understand why people will make light of the tragedies that have occurred, but in order for the state department to issue warnings (and i'm not criticizing you jesmu for your comment specifically) but this is one of those if a tree falls in the woods kind of things.  until it happens to someone you know or hits closer to home, is it really a bunch of over-hyped gak?  in other words, we must admit that these incidents are occurring at a rate a little more than one's chances of winning a lottery. 

just be careful out there and be safe, that's all   

A lot of people know the Connor/McGowan family from Pewaukee, the 20 yr old girl that died from tainted alcohol. They have multiple MU connections.  J/S investigation became a national story. 

I'm glad Jesmu and 82 can make light of the fact that they are unharmed, but many other families are not so lucky.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2018, 10:05:57 AM »
A lot of people know the Connor/McGowan family from Pewaukee, the 20 yr old girl that died from tainted alcohol. They have multiple MU connections.  J/S investigation became a national story. 

I'm glad Jesmu and 82 can make light of the fact that they are unharmed, but many other families are not so lucky.

I haven't even gone yet.

It's my daughter's wedding. It's soon. I can't say, "You know, I'm hearing more about crime so I'm not going. But I love you, honey." And yes, I encouraged them to pick the Caribbean because I knew there was more crime in Mexico. But they picked Cabo. It's my daughter. I'm going.

The rest is gallows humor. I joke about plane crashes when I fly, too. I admit it's twisted, but it's a defense mechanism.

I am not making fun of anybody who actually dies or gets hurt in Mexico or anywhere else on the face of the earth.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2018, 10:32:42 AM »
Both "political unrest" (i.e., crime) and other factors.  Lots of other factors.  First of all, whenever they were away from the house for extended periods of time (which was often...it was a second home, after all), everything that wasn't bolted down got stolen.  And even some of the stuff that was bolted down.  They had one small strong room in the house (think pantry size) where they put anything valuable that had to stay.  I don't think that was ever actually breached. But everything else they either had to be resigned to it being stolen or haul it back and forth.  Eventually, they had a big trailer that they had to take every time they went there so they could haul their stuff back and forth.  Major pain in the ass.  They just had to come to terms with the fact that people would be in their house while they were away (using stove, eating any food they found, leaving a mess).  For anyone who has been robbed, you probably recall the feeling of being violated.  That became their "normal."

There was also the little issue that about 10-15 years ago when they were told that the guy who sold them the property that they built on didn't actually own it.  So, by extension, they didn't own it.  Hmmmm...that's a problem.  Now, one could question whether they did proper due diligence at the time of purchase.  I honestly don't know.  One could also question whether the guy did, actually own it (as he claims), but now someone else it trying to defraud him and all the home owners in the neighborhood.  Presumably, those questions should be asked in the litigation that has now been ongoing for many, many years with no discernible progress.  Justice isn't swift in Mexico...at least not in such cases.  And, most people they've talked to have explained that "justice" will be largely influenced by connections, influence and bribes.  And it has made it pretty much impossible for them to sell the house.

Then, there was the time within the last year or so when the guy who built the house was squatting in it, claiming that my parents had abandoned it so he now owned it.  My dad had to make an emergency trip down with my nephew and have the police remove him.

All in all, despite some good times, it's been a pain in the ass.  My parents are too old now, so they will probably never go back.  Unfortunately, for the last 10 years they have been reluctant to go often because the 60 mile drive across NW Mexico wasn't particularly safe.  Some of my siblings have gone from time to time, but not often.  When they first built it, it was fantastic (notwithstanding the theft issues).  They had a really cool house on an amazing beach that was within easy driving distance from their home in Phoenix.  But overall, it's been a bit of a disaster.  For what they spent, they could have had some pretty awesome vacations without all the headaches.

Thanks for sharing, I certainly feel for your parents/family. Really interesting read here, and the great depth and details you provided. Appreciate the perspective here.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2018, 10:52:29 AM »
That's a terrible story StillA.

One of the reasons we chose Vegas for our second home was the stability of the area and especially our neighborhood.  The last thing we ever wanted was to worry when we are away.  We have friends that used to watch hurricane season closely before they moved to FLA full time.  The worst thing that happens to us is that the toilet traps can dry out if we're gone too long.  :o

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #149 on: April 05, 2018, 11:55:03 AM »
That's a terrible story StillA.

One of the reasons we chose Vegas for our second home was the stability of the area and especially our neighborhood.  The last thing we ever wanted was to worry when we are away.  We have friends that used to watch hurricane season closely before they moved to FLA full time.  The worst thing that happens to us is that the toilet traps can dry out if we're gone too long.  :o

Mexico is basically stuck where Nevada was in the 50's... corruption, cronyism, lawlessness, a lot of sand, and if you don't know the right people, you're excrement/out of luck.  Sure, some of that stuff still exists in Nevada in a much lesser form, but the big difference is that today, everyone - even Steve Wynn - is scared of running into law enforcement in Nevada, be it the gaming board, police or DOJ... in Mexico, law enforcement is the one running scared.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.