collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Conspiracy Theories--Are you a Buff or are they Bunk?  (Read 31923 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Conspiracy Theories--Are you a Buff or are they Bunk?
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2019, 10:29:39 AM »
So I have been thinking about the whole "NBA suspending MJ for gambling" conspiracy.  I can't figure out the NBA's motivations for taking that course of action.

If MJ had actually been gambling against NBA rules, why not make an example out of him? (Like the NFL did with Hornung and Karras back in the day.)  If you aren't going to do that, then you might as well ignore it and let your top player continue playing.  Quietly suspending him means you aren't public with your punishment AND you don't have your A-player.  That seems like the worse option possible. 

Am I missing something?  Maybe it was a negotiated suspension?

The impression I always got was because he was the face of the league and seemed to be close to Stern. The league didn't want to throw their ultimate, all-time posterboy under the bus. Losing Jordan would be damaging enough to the league, but turning him into the next Pete Rose, who had just been given a lifelong ban from baseball 4 years earlier, would potentially in the eyes of the league make it impossible to bring him back.

I don't know nor did I ever give it too much thought, but Rose's reputation was destroyed by the gambling ban, and he was an all-time great. I can see why Stern, who would've wanted Jordan to come back, would've shied away from condemning him to that public fate.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2019, 11:21:57 AM »
Jake Arrieta didn't juice.

No Cub has ever juiced.  Or corked a bat.

Soccer is a sport.

🙄

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2019, 07:16:25 PM »
I also, last week, heard from a guy who heard from a guy who heard Ron Coomer, (drunkenly talking at his bar in Lockport), that the reason Ben Zobrist hasn't returned to the Cubs is because a current player was sleeping with Zobrist's wife.

This theory evolved into Mike Montgomery being the offender, and Monty's trade ushering in Zobrist's forthcoming return to the team.

It was Lester banging Zobrists wife.
But I like to throw handfuls...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2019, 08:49:58 PM »
The only reason I would think the moon landing was staged is because my brain can’t comprehend how anything, let alone something weighing 6.5 million pounds (though I’m guessing by the time it got up to top speed it had peeled off much of the original spaceship), could move at the 7 miles per single second it took to break through Earth’s gravitational pull. I can’t fathom that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2019, 08:54:54 PM »
The impression I always got was because he was the face of the league and seemed to be close to Stern. The league didn't want to throw their ultimate, all-time posterboy under the bus. Losing Jordan would be damaging enough to the league, but turning him into the next Pete Rose, who had just been given a lifelong ban from baseball 4 years earlier, would potentially in the eyes of the league make it impossible to bring him back.

I don't know nor did I ever give it too much thought, but Rose's reputation was destroyed by the gambling ban, and he was an all-time great. I can see why Stern, who would've wanted Jordan to come back, would've shied away from condemning him to that public fate.

That’s reasonable. But then why suspend him at all?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2019, 09:20:27 PM »
The only reason I would think the moon landing was staged is because my brain can’t comprehend how anything, let alone something weighing 6.5 million pounds (though I’m guessing by the time it got up to top speed it had peeled off much of the original spaceship), could move at the 7 miles per single second it took to break through Earth’s gravitational pull. I can’t fathom that.

I know you aren’t saying that it was a hoax, but to the people that do think that - do they also believe the later Apollo missions were all hoaxes as well.

There is no proper reaction other than to laugh at these idiots.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2019, 09:30:11 PM »
I know you aren’t saying that it was a hoax, but to the people that do think that - do they also believe the later Apollo missions were all hoaxes as well.

There is no proper reaction other than to laugh at these idiots.

Or punch them, if you are Buzz Aldrin.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=buzz+aldrin+punches+man&view=detail&mid=241D5BB98109416952D0241D5BB98109416952D0&FORM=VIRE
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2019, 12:56:31 AM »
That’s reasonable. But then why suspend him at all?

Precisely.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2019, 04:29:06 AM »

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2019, 08:17:49 AM »
What is hard for me to fathom is the spacewalking.  They step out of a craft moving 17,500 miles/hour (almost 5 miles/second)and the tether doesn't even stretch or anything.  The change in things without the atmosphere is incredible.

It is impossible for me to believe the moon landing is a hoax because literally thousands of people would have to be in on it.

I don't believe the Kennedy assassination was a vast conspiracy (maybe a couple guys) because what was done was relatively easy to accomplish by a single gunman and because of computer modeling all of the things that seemed weird at the time (the direction Kennedy's head moved, the bullet seeming going in multiple directions) are easily explained.  I read a thorough analysis somewhere that one of the body guards may have accidentally shot Kennedy while pulling out his service piece and I could believe something like that if the evidence supported it.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2019, 08:24:41 AM »

It is mind bogglingly impressive that in 66 years, humanity went from being as flightless as a penguin, to reaching the moon. 

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2019, 09:02:51 AM »
It is mind bogglingly impressive that in 66 years, humanity went from being as flightless as a penguin, to reaching the moon.

This. The first powered flight took place in 1903 and lasted 3.5 seconds. 66 years later we traveled 953,000 miles with a stop off at the moon. Crazy sauce
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2019, 09:03:22 AM »

Yesterday, I started listening to 13 Minutes to the Moon, a BBC Podcast on the Apollo 11 Mission.    It's very good.  It really is amazing what they accomplished.

Two most interesting facts so far (if I'm remembering correctly, always questionable):

1) the average age of the people in Mission Control was 27-years-old.  Wow.  Gene Kranz, the Flight Director, was only 36.  Again, wow.

2) The Saturn V -- the rocket that sent them on their way -- produced 7.5 million pounds of thrust.  The rocket that put Glenn into orbit produced "only" 86,000 pounds of thrust.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2019, 10:51:12 AM »
Yesterday, I started listening to 13 Minutes to the Moon, a BBC Podcast on the Apollo 11 Mission.    It's very good.  It really is amazing what they accomplished.

Two most interesting facts so far (if I'm remembering correctly, always questionable):

1) the average age of the people in Mission Control was 27-years-old.  Wow.  Gene Kranz, the Flight Director, was only 36.  Again, wow.

2) The Saturn V -- the rocket that sent them on their way -- produced 7.5 million pounds of thrust.  The rocket that put Glenn into orbit produced "only" 86,000 pounds of thrust.

The real benefit of the 1960s space program was intangible. It was the belief that if we put our mind to doing something, we could do it.

When President Kennedy promised we would reach the moon by 1970, the people at NASA had a common comment: "He did WHAT?????????" The belief was there was no way. We'd just completed a sub-orbital flight from the Cape to about 400 miles out into the Atlantic Ocean and here, the President just committed us to the moon. Nobody knew how to do it and the technology we needed did not yet exist.

Fast forward eight years and there we are -- an American flag on the moon! Others dreamed about it. We did it!

Much of the technology we use today got its start in the space program. Apollo was dependent on the crude predecessors to today's integrated circuits found in everything from cellphones to automobile navigation systems. That took awhile but the emergence of computer technology had its roots in the 1960s.

Now, if we could just solve a 1202 fault in Microsoft Windows! LOL!

• All American
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2019, 11:01:15 AM »
Much of the technology we use today got its start in the space program. Apollo was dependent on the crude predecessors to today's integrated circuits found in everything from cellphones to automobile navigation systems. That took awhile but the emergence of computer technology had its roots in the 1960s.

While I am certainly not saying investing in the Apollo missions wasn't a driver of technological change, I think some of the inventions attributed to it are oftentimes overblown.  And this is one of them.  Texas Instruments, headed by Marquette alum Patrick Haggerty, was developing semiconductor technology in the early 1950s.  And it rapidly developed from there.

Did it help that NASA invested into the research in the 60s?  Of course.  By the emergence of computer technology had its roots long before the 1960s and the Apollo missions.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2019, 12:05:42 PM »
Now, if we could just solve a 1202 fault in Microsoft Windows! LOL!

As I understand it, they ultimately handled the 1202 fault the same way I handle most computer faults:  ignored it.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2019, 12:15:27 PM »

A very good friend of ours married a Naval aviator who flew F-18s off of aircraft carriers.  He is definitely the friend of ours who's had the coolest job.  We found out later by accident that he didn't even have the coolest job in his family.

When I googled his name trying to find their wedding registry, a picture of his dad popped up.  It was taken in Mission Control for Apollo 11.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2019, 12:16:20 PM »
As I understand it, they ultimately handled the 1202 fault the same way I handle most computer faults:  ignored it.

Still running Windows 98?  ;D

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2019, 12:21:38 PM »

While I am certainly not saying investing in the Apollo missions wasn't a driver of technological change, I think some of the inventions attributed to it are oftentimes overblown.  And this is one of them.  Texas Instruments, headed by Marquette alum Patrick Haggerty, was developing semiconductor technology in the early 1950s.  And it rapidly developed from there.

Did it help that NASA invested into the research in the 60s?  Of course.  By the emergence of computer technology had its roots long before the 1960s and the Apollo missions.

Try this.  From one of my engineering trade magazines.

8 Technologies We Owe to the Apollo Space Program

https://www.designnews.com/materials-assembly/8-technologies-we-owe-apollo-space-program?ADTRK=InformaMarkets&elq_mid=9400&elq_cid=135373&fbclid=IwAR3BJHnSi5YP8TpbbAf1iX4xB2EdDCHzjMxUXuCD5LkE26soatsOpb5LHe4

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 02:13:20 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

warriorchick

• All American
Have some patience, FFS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2019, 01:08:13 PM »

Mostly correct, the 1201 and 1202 alarms were due to overstack on the memory of the LM computer because a spurious program (radar ranging to the command module) was running too many times and not executing on time.

(Note this is oversimplified for the audience, it's much more technical programming issue then I really want to articulate).

The LM computer was a single processor, meaning it could only execute one command at a time but it was a very fast processor so they had a que which held all commands waiting to be executed and as a command was completed the next priority command would occur(so to the human element it appeared to be processing in parallel). In testing on earth and in the Apollo 10 mission the storage was never filled, but that was because they never got far enough from the CM for long enough see the root error (ranging data flooding the computer) and so didn't know that it would occasionally cut in line and take too long to close out resulting in overstacking in the executable memory(1201 was a primary storage overflow, 1202 was a secondary storage overflow). The computer had a default fix which was to soft reset which cleared the que and it reset fast enough that no navigational data was lost so it was only an intermittent fault so they could ignore it. Had it occurred more frequently it would have dumped the nav data and then they would have been SOL.

Side note, Aldrin was actually the one in real time that figured out the problem because he noticed a failure to process error (16/68) for the radar ranging to the CM would occur right before the 1202 error would occur which was then followed by the 1201 error. The solution was to kill the ranging to the CM which cleared the errors but without that ranging the computer could not continuously determine an abort track back to the CM.....meaning in real time they knowingly killed their only exit strategy back home should they have to abort. That's like diving at the deck of the aircraft carrier to catch a wire, you either land or you crash. Real smarts and guts to be sure.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

• All American

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #122 on: July 22, 2019, 02:35:38 PM »
Mostly correct, the 1201 and 1202 alarms were due to overstack on the memory of the LM computer because a spurious program (radar ranging to the command module) was running too many times and not executing on time.

(Note this is oversimplified for the audience, it's much more technical programming issue then I really want to articulate).

The LM computer was a single processor, meaning it could only execute one command at a time but it was a very fast processor so they had a que which held all commands waiting to be executed and as a command was completed the next priority command would occur(so to the human element it appeared to be processing in parallel). In testing on earth and in the Apollo 10 mission the storage was never filled, but that was because they never got far enough from the CM for long enough see the root error (ranging data flooding the computer) and so didn't know that it would occasionally cut in line and take too long to close out resulting in overstacking in the executable memory(1201 was a primary storage overflow, 1202 was a secondary storage overflow). The computer had a default fix which was to soft reset which cleared the que and it reset fast enough that no navigational data was lost so it was only an intermittent fault so they could ignore it. Had it occurred more frequently it would have dumped the nav data and then they would have been SOL.

Side note, Aldrin was actually the one in real time that figured out the problem because he noticed a failure to process error (16/68) for the radar ranging to the CM would occur right before the 1202 error would occur which was then followed by the 1201 error. The solution was to kill the ranging to the CM which cleared the errors but without that ranging the computer could not continuously determine an abort track back to the CM.....meaning in real time they knowingly killed their only exit strategy back home should they have to abort. That's like diving at the deck of the aircraft carrier to catch a wire, you either land or you crash. Real smarts and guts to be sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a_sx3ozoXI

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2019, 08:14:06 PM »
Space Food Sticks.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2019, 08:35:53 PM »
Space Food Sticks.

If are going there, one must not forget Tang.