'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

What does MU need to accomplish this year for you to get/stay on the WojoWagon?

Nothing. My support for Wojo is unshakable.
9 (3.8%)
Any post-season.
7 (3%)
The Dance
68 (28.9%)
A NCAA Win
93 (39.6%)
2nd Weekend
48 (20.4%)
Only a banner redeems Wojo.
2 (0.9%)
Nothing. Every moment he's at the helm is like being stabbed in the heart with 1000 fiery knives.
8 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 235

Author Topic: Wojo's Threshold  (Read 40182 times)

war1980rior

• Team Captain
Re: Wojo's Threshold
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2019, 09:15:43 AM »
No contacts at IRS, I simply pay what Sammy tells me to, but speaking of IRS and how much it costs in FL vs IL, I get the move.  Bonita Springs, down there from time to time....know several MU fans down there that get to 5 or more games a year...need to step up your game.   :D

Most correct, Cheeks!  The tax benefits are extremely nice!

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2019, 09:33:44 AM »
Brother Goose:

For me, it is put-up or shut-up time. We have a candidate for National POY this year. We have depth we have not had in a long time and we have a power game inside. Hausershima notwithstanding, this is the year that Wojo has everything and it's time to see what he is made of.

The recruiting is a major part of the package and if we fail, there will be problems ahead. But at this point, Coach Wojo has to take what he has and meld them into a second week of the tournament team. Anything less and one must candidly wonder about the direction of the program.

You're certainly allowed to have this opinion, but just know, that based on the poll, you are in the minority here. 

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2019, 09:39:48 AM »
Most correct, Cheeks!  The tax benefits are extremely nice!

Yup, just don’t let all the newbies destroy it like they are trying to do elsewhere.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

1SE

• All American
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2019, 10:45:49 AM »
You're certainly allowed to have this opinion, but just know, that based on the poll, you are in the minority here.

But a healthy majority wants a NCAA win. Will be interesting to come back to this thread in March.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2019, 11:05:07 AM »
But a healthy majority wants a NCAA win. Will be interesting to come back to this thread in March.

But if we flame out again would you burn up the upcoming incredible class by firing Wojo? (assuming we get Davis and Garcia as well) I'd sacrifice a round of 32 this year to keep those four.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2019, 11:12:32 AM »
But if we flame out again would you burn up the upcoming incredible class by firing Wojo? (assuming we get Davis and Garcia as well) I'd sacrifice a round of 32 this year to keep those four.

I think this is about right.  I stand by what I said 4 pages ago.

I try to look at a season in its entirety and not judge based on a system where one bad performance will send you home.  That being said, if you get 4 years of Markus and can't turn that into even a single NCAA tournament win, that's a major red flag.  The only way that one and done wouldn't be enough to convince me it's time for him to go is if he brings in 2 of AJ, RJ, Dawson, and Suggs.  Our class right now is good but not program changing, however that would/could be a lot of potentially incoming talent that would likely be gone.

And what I said 3 pages ago.

Wojo is 0-2 in tournament games with 2 blowouts.  Cause for concern? Yes.  Grounds for dismissal? IMO, no.  Could he go 0-3 and keep his job? Probably. 0-4? Probably not, but a high buyout might save him for a year. 0-5? Immediate termination.  At some point "crapshoot" has to turn into "this inability to win a tournament game is a very serious problem that no amount of good recruiting or lack of off-court issues an make up for".  Some people are already at this level.  The silent majority does not appear to be there. Yet.

This seems to be about the pulse of the "silent" majority.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2019, 11:22:45 AM »
Brother Goose:

For me, it is put-up or shut-up time. We have a candidate for National POY this year. We have depth we have not had in a long time and we have a power game inside. Hausershima notwithstanding, this is the year that Wojo has everything and it's time to see what he is made of.

The recruiting is a major part of the package and if we fail, there will be problems ahead. But at this point, Coach Wojo has to take what he has and meld them into a second week of the tournament team. Anything less and one must candidly wonder about the direction of the program.
You have a very long term perspective on the program and have seen coaches come and go. That is why what you are saying resonates with me.

I will add that our league this year is tougher for sure, but it has no super dominant team. So  with a tough schedule ,MU can do well enough in the regular season to get a high NET ranking and drive the highest possible  seed going into the NCAA tournament.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

1SE

• All American
« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2019, 03:12:02 PM »

Eh - so he can underperform with them for 4 years? At some point recruits have to turn into results.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2019, 03:18:20 PM »
I'm not on the fire Wojo train yet, but regardless it's not worth keeping a coach for a recruiting class if you are convinced the coach doesn't have it. The sooner you cut bait the better, because eventually the new guy will have to deal with it all burning down anyway.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2019, 03:27:58 PM »
Eh - so he can underperform with them for 4 years? At some point recruits have to turn into results.

Agree to disagree. dont get me wrong I don't think keeping a coach for a single recruit is a great idea, but a class like this I'd give him a longer leash.

Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2019, 05:30:32 PM »

I wouldn't give him 4 years with this recruiting class but if he lands RJ and Garcia I lengthen the leash and give him at least 2.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2019, 05:37:41 PM »
I wouldn't give him 4 years with this recruiting class but if he lands RJ and Garcia I lengthen the leash and give him at least 2.

I echo this sentiment..He lands those two, and my rope with him would be a bit longer..that being said, if there isn't at LEAST one second weekend tourney appearance in those two years..He'd be gone.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2019, 06:06:09 PM »
I echo this sentiment..He lands those two, and my rope with him would be a bit longer..that being said, if there isn't at LEAST one second weekend tourney appearance in those two years..He'd be gone.

I'm not on the fire Wojo train yet, but regardless it's not worth keeping a coach for a recruiting class if you are convinced the coach doesn't have it. The sooner you cut bait the better, because eventually the new guy will have to deal with it all burning down anyway.

The best thing that happened is that Va Tech showed Wojo some love last year.   

This year Wojo should move up the pecking order on the coaching carousel as a lot of good jobs were filled last year .   

Shaka on the hot seat this year, would be ironic if Wojo ended up filling the Texas job.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2019, 06:13:33 PM »

This year Wojo should move up the pecking order on the coaching carousel as a lot of good jobs were filled last year .   

Shaka on the hot seat this year, would be ironic if Wojo ended up filling the Texas job.

That would not be ironic. It could be ironic if then Shaka came here.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2019, 06:57:43 PM »
If he lands Davis and Garcia, he has two more years in my book. To date, I think his tenure has graded out as a D, land this recruiting class I am all in for two more years.

Regardless if he can coach a lick, if you have players it covers a lot of sins. I want to watch big time players and he might be on to something. If he whiffs, he better learn to coach quickly.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2019, 07:14:49 PM »
I'm sure Wojo is greatly relieved that anonymous message board dudes are willing to give him an extra year or two if he lands the recruits they want.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2019, 07:35:38 PM »
Pakuni

He is far from landing recruits that I want, but willing to accept recruits he wants and thinks he can get. If he chases guys and whiffs he is not right guy for the job.

As for me, I would love to be all in, but my life is fine regardless of how it turns out. Honestly, I feel rooting for the future is better than this season success.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2019, 07:45:47 PM »
I'm sure Wojo is greatly relieved that anonymous message board dudes are willing to give him an extra year or two if he lands the recruits they want.

Actually I think he's much more relieved that the administration (and many fans on this quasi anonymous message board) are still all in slurps after 5 mediocre seasons.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2019, 07:55:59 PM »
Pakuni

He is far from landing recruits that I want, but willing to accept recruits he wants and thinks he can get. If he chases guys and whiffs he is not right guy for the job.

As for me, I would love to be all in, but my life is fine regardless of how it turns out. Honestly, I feel rooting for the future is better than this season success.

This is where I lose you Goose.

Dr. B

That would be big time class.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2019, 07:57:46 PM »
Actually I think he's much more relieved that the administration (and many fans on this quasi anonymous message board) are still all in slurps after 5 mediocre seasons.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2019, 08:24:18 PM »

Unless MU has a great year with a deep NCAA run Wojo would not be on Texas' radar. With the money they have to spend they will be looking for a top tier coach. As of today, I don't think any P6 program would consider Wojo.

I really hope Wojo elevates himself to a candidate for a Texas type job but wants to stay at MU.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #146 on: October 08, 2019, 09:45:57 PM »
You have a very long term perspective on the program and have seen coaches come and go. That is why what you are saying resonates with me.

I will add that our league this year is tougher for sure, but it has no super dominant team. So  with a tough schedule ,MU can do well enough in the regular season to get a high NET ranking and drive the highest possible  seed going into the NCAA tournament.

Not THAT LONG. At least I don't think it is long. Though I have to admit, my wife and I went to her Marquette class reunion and we thought we were at the wrong reunion. Too many darn old people there!

As to the program, I've said elsewhere it's all about how you measure success and what your expectations are. I want progress toward being a national title contender. Anything else is being Vanderbilt.

We are Marquette needs to mean something. We are Marquette should be a chant that scares the solid waste out of our opponents. We are Marquette means WE ARE NUMBER 1!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #147 on: October 09, 2019, 06:47:57 AM »

That's what I was thinking, Pak. Lots of "or else" implied in some of these comments.

Or else what? Or else you'll stop cheering for MU or going to games or watching games on TV?

All the bad folks have endured since Al left -- Hank's underperformance, Rick's spectacular flameout, Dukiet's embarrassment, Deane's terrible recruiting and character, KO and Creane and Buzz bolting ... and THIS is what will put them over the edge and make them ex-Warriors?

Maybe we can make a trade! Then Shaka can go 11-22 in his second season here, win zero NCAA tourney games and capture the NIT in his fourth season, and everybody can say what a wonder he is!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #148 on: October 09, 2019, 07:29:40 AM »
Does anyone actually know if the Wojo to VA Tech or UNLV rumors were true? Now that the dust has settled I’d like to know if he was actually considering bailing

As far as his leash, I think we’re a second weekend team this year and if he lands Davis and Garcia I think we’ll finally have the momentum going that we’ve all been hoping for which will equate to long term success.
Bring back FFP!!!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #149 on: October 09, 2019, 07:33:49 AM »
Does anyone actually know if the Wojo to VA Tech or UNLV rumors were true? Now that the dust has settled I’d like to know if he was actually considering bailing

As far as his leash, I think we’re a second weekend team this year and if he lands Davis and Garcia I think we’ll finally have the momentum going that we’ve all been hoping for which will equate to long term success.

Nothing official on the Tech dalliance but I’ve heard from a few people that it happened
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback