'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Shaw Update from Mac Irvin  (Read 10647 times)

NersEllenson

• All American
Shaw Update from Mac Irvin
« on: September 15, 2010, 02:20:26 PM »
I like what I hear - saw this on the Scout site:
http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles1/mikeshaw10.html

Class Of 2011 Chicago De La Salle Star Mike Shaw Of The Mac Irvin Fire Is Actively Entrenched In The Recruiting Visit Process As He Nears A Decision

Cavan Walsh
September 15, 2010

Class of 2011 Chicago De La Salle star Mike Shaw of the Mac Irvin Fire has narrowed down his school list, and is going through the visit process as he nears a decision. Mike Irvin, who runs the Mac Irvin Fire travel team program, took some time to talk about Shaw, and where exactly he is in his recruitment.

Irvin noted that Shaw had a very good official visit to DePaul. “I mean Mike really enjoyed the visit to DePaul. He had a chance to meet with the president, and the whole DePaul family. Overall, he thought the visit went very well. Right now he is enjoying the process and just moving along with everything in an orderly fashion,” said Irvin.

"In Marquette you have Buzz Williams, one of the up and coming great coaches in the game. With Buzz, he gets the most out of his players, and was the same energetic Buzz as he is on the phone. Buzz believes in himself and what he has to offer at Marquette, and that is what he basically relayed on the in-home visit.”

Irvin spoke highly of both Bob Huggins and Buzz Williams, and their programs. "You know in West Virginia you Irvin also took a moment to talk about Shaw's upcoming visit with Illinois. “We are going to take a look at Illinois and Bruce Weber, and hear what they have to offer. They have a lot of Mike’s former Fire teammates down at Illinois, but both Marquette and DePaul do as well in Reggie Smith and Jamie Crockett. We just want to get a better feel at Illinois and what his role would be down there
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: Shaw Update from Mac Irvin
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 02:34:31 PM »
West Virginia is the leader in the clubhouse with Illinois putting out on 18.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 02:34:41 PM »
It is nice to see that Buzz has become a player in Chicago pretty quickly.  It is clear that Mac likes him and respects him, and regardless of what Shaw decides, we have a good relationship with him.

IOW, I was wrong to de-emphasize our relationship with him during the Reggie Smith recruitment.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 03:31:17 PM »
West Virginia is the leader in the clubhouse with Illinois putting out on 18.

Hunch, or real reason? Any inside info?

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 05:25:53 PM »
I'd agree just from what was said in the article that Huggins is the guy to beat.  Hope we do and get Shaw to come to MU where he can thrive!

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 05:46:47 PM »
I don't see how all four schools are not even now based on the articles.  I don't see any sort of Huggins lean at all. 

I hope he picks MU of course.  Buzz can surround him with a ton of talent, and playing time will be open when Jimmy leaves, and Crowder will be gone by the time Shaw is a soph.  Buzz putting Lazar in the NBA, a player at a similar position, should put MU at even with WVU in that respect as well.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 08:28:24 PM »
Marquette is close to home to.  Always nice for family and friends to be able to watch him play.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 09:30:42 PM »
My favorite part of the article was the quote:

"With Buzz, he gets the most out of his players."  To me that is the most resounding endorsement a coach could give another coach.  Obviously I'm biased toward MU..but of all the quotes said about DePaul, WVU/Huggy, and Illinois - I take the above as the most valuable..or what gives me optimism that we have a REAL shot at landing Shaw.  It has been said in several places, that Shaw really likes Buzz.  WVU doesn't have any Mac Irvin players on its roster.  So, we've got Reggie endorsing Buzz/MU, Shaw known to like Buzz, and now Shaw's AAU coach stating Buzz gets the most out of his players...

I'd say we have a legit shot.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

coach85

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 09:44:32 PM »
Macari Brooks of Chicago's south suburban Richton Park's Rich South H.S.  - a Mac Irvin player - gave a verbal to DePaul this afternoon.  He is the second Mac Irvin player to do so as James Crockett -also from the south suburbs - is already on board with DePaul.  There could be some added pressure on Shaw to be the third Mac Irvin player to verbal to DePaul and indications are that his recent visit to DePaul went well.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 10:15:30 PM »
Macari Brooks of Chicago's south suburban Richton Park's Rich South H.S.  - a Mac Irvin player - gave a verbal to DePaul this afternoon.  He is the second Mac Irvin player to do so as James Crockett -also from the south suburbs - is already on board with DePaul.  There could be some added pressure on Shaw to be the third Mac Irvin player to verbal to DePaul and indications are that his recent visit to DePaul went well.

Very interesting. Marquette also offered Macari Brooks, although I'm not sure when that was or how much interest there has been lately from our side. He would seem to be way down the priority list for MU right now.

On another note, when do college recruiting visits not go well? Its not like you ever hear about how terribly a trip went. Sides are always courteous to each other with out giving away too much real info when they discuss visits and such. I would say all four programs offer a lot to Shaw, and I think anyone trying to glean a leader from random, and highly slanted, articles and blogs is just speculating. It seems to me that things are very even in his recruitment, with all 4 schools having a real shot.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 10:17:42 PM »
I think getting Shaw to Marquette Madness would be huge.  

Of course, him verballing before that and coming (like Jones did) and then other big recruits coming to see that they can join a great basketball experience and join another top recruit (like Blue did) is the most ideal situation.  

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 10:19:44 PM »
I would say all four programs offer a lot to Shaw, and I think anyone trying to glean a leader from random, and highly slanted, articles and blogs is just speculating. It seems to me that things are very even in his recruitment, with all 4 schools having a real shot.

I agree that all four have a shot and probably equally.  It is not like this guy is bargaining for a better salary or more guaranteed playing time by holding out other options.  You either get an offer or you do not.  Shaw has an offer, and cannot get anything else out of it.  If he does not like a school, he gains nothing by keeping it on his list.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 10:47:05 PM »
I still content Purnell was a good hire for them.  Time will ultimately tell but DePaul was in such bad shape that was about as good as they were going to get and it wasn't all that bad.  They were in a position of weakness but came out pretty good.

We'll see how it goes for them in the next 5 years, but I suspect they will be fairly pleased with the direction they are going.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 10:52:39 PM »
I still content Purnell was a good hire for them.  Time will ultimately tell but DePaul was in such bad shape that was about as good as they were going to get and it wasn't all that bad.  They were in a position of weakness but came out pretty good.

We'll see how it goes for them in the next 5 years, but I suspect they will be fairly pleased with the direction they are going.

I agree..think Purnell was a great hire for them. 

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 07:03:12 AM »
Very interesting. Marquette also offered Macari Brooks, although I'm not sure when that was or how much interest there has been lately from our side. He would seem to be way down the priority list for MU right now.

On another note, when do college recruiting visits not go well? Its not like you ever hear about how terribly a trip went. Sides are always courteous to each other with out giving away too much real info when they discuss visits and such. I would say all four programs offer a lot to Shaw, and I think anyone trying to glean a leader from random, and highly slanted, articles and blogs is just speculating. It seems to me that things are very even in his recruitment, with all 4 schools having a real shot.

Au contraire, mon frere.  My recruiting visit did NOT go well at all.  In fact, the guy never showed up, and me and my sister had to eat the entire box of glazed Dunkin' Donuts by ourselves. He never called or nothin'.  (Donuts were pretty good, though, so I sent her out for another box.)
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 07:50:22 AM »

Google indiana recruitng and in home visits and Kyrie Irving.   Tom Crean has attempted to forge a public persona that explodes in his face when he actually has to interact with someone.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 08:20:19 AM »
I still content Purnell was a good hire for them.  Time will ultimately tell but DePaul was in such bad shape that was about as good as they were going to get and it wasn't all that bad. 

If you would have told people that DePaul would have ended up with a coach that took three different teams to the NCAA tournament, the latest being a program in one of the top conferences in the country, you would have thought they were nuts.  But for some reason a good section of people think this wasn't a good hire.

How many other coaches can lay claim to such a record?  Rick Barnes, Bill Self, Ben Howland, Tubby Smith.... 

Purnell isn't John Wooden or anything, but he has a strong record of turning around struggling programs, solid recruiting, and playing competitively with a style that fans seem to enjoy.  I have no doubt that we are going to lose our fair share of recruiting battles in the Chicago area in the years to come.  (And I have no doubt we will win plenty as well.)

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 08:37:51 AM »

If you would have told people that DePaul would have ended up with a coach that took three different teams to the NCAA tournament, the latest being a program in one of the top conferences in the country, you would have thought they were nuts.  But for some reason a good section of people think this wasn't a good hire.

How many other coaches can lay claim to such a record?  Rick Barnes, Bill Self, Ben Howland, Tubby Smith.... 

Purnell isn't John Wooden or anything, but he has a strong record of turning around struggling programs, solid recruiting, and playing competitively with a style that fans seem to enjoy.  I have no doubt that we are going to lose our fair share of recruiting battles in the Chicago area in the years to come.  (And I have no doubt we will win plenty as well.)

Yes..Purnell will make recruiting Chicago more difficult..but...hopefully  Buzz will get us into an Elite 8/Final Four soon..and we begin to have an elite program feel..

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 10:37:16 AM »

I don't believe that Purnell will be in Chicago for more than 3-4 years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 11:36:53 AM »
I don't believe that Purnell will be in Chicago for more than 3-4 years.

Based on what?  He doesn't really have a history of jumping around.  Do you think he'll just be too fed up with DePaul?  I mean, I don't think Clemson to DePaul was exactly a step up.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 11:49:11 AM »
I mean, I don't think Clemson to DePaul was exactly a step up.

I was surprised about that too.  Since DePaul is private we don't know what salary they gave him yet, but he went from a middle-tier ACC school to the dead last Big East team.  These two conferences have been arguably the two best for the last decade so he is not improving there either.  Maybe he wanted to live in a big city and wanted a challenge? 

bma725

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 11:56:15 AM »
Based on what?  He doesn't really have a history of jumping around.

Doesn't have a history of jumping around....yet in his 22 years as a head coach he's been at 5 different schools.  That doesn't exactly sound like someone with a tendency to stay in one place.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 11:59:34 AM »
But until this move, every job has been a step up.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 12:16:29 PM »
But until this move, every job has been a step up.

You've got to look at the bigger picture.  The general sentiment was that Purnell is great at turning the program around from crap to respectability, but not so good at taking them to the next level.  There was a large segment of Clemson fans that weren't exactly sad to see Purnell leave.  They didn't like his poor in conference results, and they really didn't like his lack of success in the post season.  If they had another year of bombing out of the ACC tournament and NCAA tournament, his seat would be very warm.

Instead of sticking around for a season where he has to produce at a level he's never been able to reach, he gets a fresh start at a new school where he can do what he's best at, and he's getting half a million more per season to do it.

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 01:42:01 PM »
Since bma 735,and I are from the same part of the country, i can tell you that Purnell was on his way out at Clemson.  His teams always seemed to have a great non-conference record and then just fold in conference and post-season play.  He did the very smart thing and leave b/4 getting fired as opposed to Paul Hewitt who should have left Ga. Tech last year. He too is on a very, very short leach and is not expected to last another year.