Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 'McGuire' playing again in May 2009  (Read 6986 times)

jficke13

• All American
Re: 'McGuire' playing again in May 2009
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2009, 09:43:24 PM »
I just saw it and for one, it was amazing.

Secondly, they had an HD film crew there so you might get your DVD wishes granted.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 03:30:02 PM »
I asked Dick Enberg about that after the show Thursday, during the reception, and his answer was something along the lines of, he's been asked that before, and they've been afraid that if it were available on DVD people might not come to see it live.  He acknowledged that the counter to that is that people might be more excited about seeing it live, but it really sounded like it wasn't in the cards.  I will be interested to see if they changed their mind.

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 08:48:57 AM »
I am driving 10 hours round trip to see the play on Saturday at Marquette.  My wife thinks I am craaaaaaazy.  I cannot explain it to her -- just said it is something I have to do.  I am also bringing my teenage son b/c it kills me that he knows virtually nothing about Al.  That is not acceptable to me.   :)

This was TOTALLY worth it.  I hated to see it end.  As for my son, he learned about Al and is now cursed to having to hear me say to him "If you're doing it right, you're doing it good." for the rest of his life!

Butch Lee was there.  In the play he is referred to as "the finest person" Al ever knew [or words to that effect].  Under those circumstances -- if I was Butch Lee -- I would NEVER miss a performance of this play, regardless of where it is presented.

Finally, I heard the issue of the recording that evening to be for a possible future documentary, not necessarily to make the play available to those who are unable to attend a live show.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 09:27:03 AM »
On Thursday night in Chicago, Bo Ellis was referred to as the "finest person Al ever knew" - and he was there as well!  Literary license depending on which former player is present?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 09:28:09 AM »
This was TOTALLY worth it.  I hated to see it end.  As for my son, he learned about Al and is now cursed to having to hear me say to him "If you're doing it right, you're doing it good." for the rest of his life!

Butch Lee was there.  In the play he is referred to as "the finest person" Al ever knew [or words to that effect].  Under those circumstances -- if I was Butch Lee -- I would NEVER miss a performance of this play, regardless of where it is presented.

Finally, I heard the issue of the recording that evening to be for a possible future documentary, not necessarily to make the play available to those who are unable to attend a live show.

I was also there Saturday and share your feelings. Dick Enberg taking questions and adding a few McGuire anecdotes afterwards put a terrific finishing touch on the evening. My wife and I brought friends (from Purdue and Northwestern) and they were totally blown away!

One small correction. Bo Ellis was the player Al called "top shelf" and one of the finest individuals he ever met. He was indeed in the house and said it was the 4th time he had seen the play.

An interesting side note is that Enberg asked people to share their McGuire recollections as he updates the play frequently.

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2009, 09:50:13 AM »
On Thursday night in Chicago, Bo Ellis was referred to as the "finest person Al ever knew" - and he was there as well!  Literary license depending on which former player is present?

I do not think so.  Bo was sitting in the back row ("stage right" side), and I do not think Cotter Smith knew he was there until the post-play wrap up when the house lights came up. 

Maybe Bo is doing what I suggested I would do, attending every performance to hear (and re-hear) the words of such high praise from his former coach.

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 09:52:26 AM »
My wife and I brought friends (from Purdue ...)

That explains the constant whispering I heard -- you having to explain every little thing to the Purdue person!   ;D

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 10:58:35 AM »
I couldn't remember the exact phrasing but it sounds like the same thought, and I think Enberg in the post-play comments certainly made it sound that way.  I thought he was sitting around the 4th row on stage right - he certainly was sitting there when the play ended, as that's when I spotted him.  Enberg said he has material for two more plays.  The stories afterwards really put a cap on the evening.

muole

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2009, 03:20:06 AM »
I'm a proud grad of the theatre program at MU, and an avid hoops fan as well.  I saw this show in it's original run at the Helfaer theatre and all I can say is KUDOS to Dick Enberg, Cotter Smith, and the MU theatre dept. for putting together such a special show.

Theatre (at it's best) is meant to touch people, make people feel, and make people think.  I don't think anyone who sees this production will be disappointed in any of those aspects.

And talk about the perfect character..............GOD BLESS AL McGUIRE!

feedback