collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2020-21  (Read 188060 times)

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
Re: NBA Thread 2020-21
« Reply #2050 on: July 09, 2021, 08:10:02 AM »
https://streamable.com/953rkd

Nice play by the Suns. Jae looking great keeping a good position to always be open, and keeping the rock moving with no dribbling.

Coach Bud with another Wojo speach in game 2 - https://streamable.com/9dp88f
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 08:12:00 AM by Skatastrophy »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2051 on: July 09, 2021, 08:24:01 AM »
https://streamable.com/953rkd

Nice play by the Suns. Jae looking great keeping a good position to always be open, and keeping the rock moving with no dribbling.

Coach Bud with another Wojo speach in game 2 - https://streamable.com/9dp88f

"Play random".  What does that mean?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2052 on: July 09, 2021, 10:58:28 AM »
Coaching most definitely wasn’t the issue last night. Unless you think a hype speech is going to get Khris and Jrue to shoot better.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2053 on: July 09, 2021, 11:12:22 AM »
Suns are the better team. I thought the gameplan was good last night. Bucks played well. The Suns are just the better team and hit a high percentage of threes at a high volume. Tip your cap.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2054 on: July 09, 2021, 11:47:08 AM »
Make or miss league.

Defensively I liked what they did trying to combat the PNR, but some bad habits snuck back in with the overhelping. 17 corner three attempts is way too many to concede, especially to that team.

Unless the Bucks get screaming hot from three over the next few games this thing is over.

• All American
« Reply #2055 on: July 09, 2021, 12:11:22 PM »
Make or miss league.

Defensively I liked what they did trying to combat the PNR, but some bad habits snuck back in with the overhelping. 17 corner three attempts is way too many to concede, especially to that team.

Unless the Bucks get screaming hot from three over the next few games this thing is over.

If you’re going to overplay the PNR and help in the lane, that’s what’s going to happen.  They have to pick their poison.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2056 on: July 09, 2021, 12:14:42 PM »
I haven't been abe to watch the series (Pacific Time) but looking at the stats, do you think the Suns game plan is the let Giannis get his and shut down the supporting cast?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2057 on: July 09, 2021, 12:20:01 PM »
I haven't been abe to watch the series (Pacific Time) but looking at the stats, do you think the Suns game plan is the let Giannis get his and shut down the supporting cast?

They've made a point to try and shut Middleton down, for sure. Jrue is getting pretty good shots but just missing 2/3 of them.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2058 on: July 09, 2021, 12:30:37 PM »
Make or miss league.

You're right to a degree.  The Bucks have basically shot the triple very poorly during the playoffs.  I believe during the year they were in the top 5.  That said Phoenix is getting much better looks both in their half-court sets and transition.   They move the ball with excellent passing and spacing.  So people can say "it's a make or miss league" but there's a huge difference in the quality of shots Phoenix is taking vs Milwaukee.  The bottom line is Paul and Booker are destroying Holiday and Middleton and that's going to have to change for the Bucks to have any chance in this series.

• All American
« Reply #2059 on: July 09, 2021, 12:30:51 PM »
I think their success shutting Giannis down in game one lead them to believe they could minimize his damage by putting Ayton or Jae on him.  That just didn't work in the second game.  And the Bucks were just one shot away from making it a three point game with about five to go.  He was the only one dragging the Bucks back into that game.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2060 on: July 09, 2021, 12:34:07 PM »

I don't think so. To me it looked like their game plan is to beat the crap out of anyone that gets close to the tin, and essentially punish players to overcome their weakness in the paint.

Giannis was just able to play through it in game 2. He was a beast.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2061 on: July 09, 2021, 12:44:29 PM »
You need youtube.tv.  They only advertised it seemingly every commercial break.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2062 on: July 09, 2021, 10:39:36 PM »
You need youtube.tv.  They only advertised it seemingly every commercial break.

Been getting home from work too late, that’s the issue.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2063 on: July 10, 2021, 08:15:55 AM »
An AP profile on Monty Williams includes this anecdote:

There are cameras and microphones everywhere at the NBA Finals, and they happened to catch an interaction late in Game 2 that was going viral before the game was even over.

It was Phoenix coach Monty Williams, talking to Suns center Deandre Ayton during a time out and trying desperately to cheer him up on what was a slow night statistically against the Milwaukee Bucks. Ayton’s head was down. His body language was awful. Williams wasn’t having it. He started talking, then grabbed Ayton’s wrist to further commandeer his attention.

Mind you, his voice was raised high enough only so Ayton could hear him over the din of the crowd. No yelling, no screaming, no swearing, no histrionics.

“You set a high level for yourself,” Williams said. “That’s why you’re down. That’s great. Now go reach that level, OK? And you can reach it with force. Doesn’t have to be stats all the time. Go dominate the game with force, because you set a high level for yourself. Go dominate the game with force. Let’s go.”

Ayton scored shortly after that time out ended. A few seconds after that, he got a steal. A couple minutes later, with Milwaukee within six and still having hope, Ayton found Chris Paul for a 3-pointer. The Bucks were never within two possessions of tying the game again.

I love that, because I love anything that "proves" a successful coach can be a good guy, and need not be a hard-arse to win big.

In 2014-15, Williams coached the Pelicans to a 45-37 record before they lost in the first round of the playoffs to the eventual champion Warriors.

The Pelicans then fired Williams. They thought they could do much better.

He was an assistant for 2 years, spent a couple years as a team executive, and spent a little time away from basketball as he mourned the loss of his wife, who died in a car accident.

The Suns hired him as coach before the COVID-19 season, when they had their best record in years and capped it by going 8-0 in the "mini-bubble."

This season, Williams is two wins away from the NBA title for a franchise that has never won one.

The Pelicans, meanwhile, are about to be on their third coach since they fired Williams. New Orleans is a basketball wasteland; AD already left and most expect Zion to do the same.

When (If) Monty Williams lifts the championship trophy over his head, the Pelicans can reflect on how much "better" they've done without him.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2064 on: July 10, 2021, 08:37:45 AM »
An AP profile on Monty Williams includes this anecdote:

There are cameras and microphones everywhere at the NBA Finals, and they happened to catch an interaction late in Game 2 that was going viral before the game was even over.

It was Phoenix coach Monty Williams, talking to Suns center Deandre Ayton during a time out and trying desperately to cheer him up on what was a slow night statistically against the Milwaukee Bucks. Ayton’s head was down. His body language was awful. Williams wasn’t having it. He started talking, then grabbed Ayton’s wrist to further commandeer his attention.

Mind you, his voice was raised high enough only so Ayton could hear him over the din of the crowd. No yelling, no screaming, no swearing, no histrionics.

“You set a high level for yourself,” Williams said. “That’s why you’re down. That’s great. Now go reach that level, OK? And you can reach it with force. Doesn’t have to be stats all the time. Go dominate the game with force, because you set a high level for yourself. Go dominate the game with force. Let’s go.”

Ayton scored shortly after that time out ended. A few seconds after that, he got a steal. A couple minutes later, with Milwaukee within six and still having hope, Ayton found Chris Paul for a 3-pointer. The Bucks were never within two possessions of tying the game again.

I love that, because I love anything that "proves" a successful coach can be a good guy, and need not be a hard-arse to win big.

In 2014-15, Williams coached the Pelicans to a 45-37 record before they lost in the first round of the playoffs to the eventual champion Warriors.

The Pelicans then fired Williams. They thought they could do much better.

He was an assistant for 2 years, spent a couple years as a team executive, and spent a little time away from basketball as he mourned the loss of his wife, who died in a car accident.

The Suns hired him as coach before the COVID-19 season, when they had their best record in years and capped it by going 8-0 in the "mini-bubble."

This season, Williams is two wins away from the NBA title for a franchise that has never won one.

The Pelicans, meanwhile, are about to be on their third coach since they fired Williams. New Orleans is a basketball wasteland; AD already left and most expect Zion to do the same.

When (If) Monty Williams lifts the championship trophy over his head, the Pelicans can reflect on how much "better" they've done without him.

Budenholzer to the Pelicans?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2065 on: July 10, 2021, 09:08:09 PM »
Team USA was -30 tonight.

Last time Team USA played Nigeria, they won 156-73 in London in 2012.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2066 on: July 10, 2021, 10:24:58 PM »

Beyond being cold from deep and Nigeria being hot from 3, I genuinely question Pop’s approach. You have a bunch of lights out shooters and insane athletes, why are you trying to be methodical on offense?

Don’t even get me started on the final possession down 3. It was some of the stupidest basketball I’ve seen since end of game Wojo.  You’re running weaves to try and get Lavine open when you have Beal, Lillard, and Durant there? And Tatum?  Baffling. When I saw Lillard get the ball and not even look to shoot cause it was blatant he was supposed to toss to Lavine, I blurted out “what?!”

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2067 on: July 10, 2021, 11:25:47 PM »
Two good things to come out of USMNT humiliating loss tonight-

1) Exhibition game

2) Belongs to Popovich - this being especially good. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2068 on: July 10, 2021, 11:30:49 PM »

Lost to a team 2-8 all time in Olympic play and #22 in FIBA rankings. 

It can’t be sugar coated how embarrassing a loss this is. 

Nice going Pop.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2069 on: July 11, 2021, 12:14:26 AM »
Jay Wright should take over the HC position immediately.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2070 on: July 11, 2021, 08:34:00 AM »
Lost to a team 2-8 all time in Olympic play and #22 in FIBA rankings. 

It can’t be sugar coated how embarrassing a loss this is. 

Nice going Pop.

I guess it can't be "sugar coated" ... except for the fact that it was an exhibition game that nobody outside of Nigeria gives a rat's rump about.

If the US team has a bad Olympics -- which by our standards means anything less than gold -- it will be remembered as the reddest of red flags. But if Pop's team wins gold, it will have meant ... well, is there such a thing as less than nothing?

So we'll see.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2071 on: July 11, 2021, 08:56:16 AM »
Jay Wright should take over the HC position immediately.

Because of all of his experience coaching pros?     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2072 on: July 11, 2021, 08:59:56 AM »

Pop has lost it.   They could go with Kerr maybe. 

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #2073 on: July 11, 2021, 09:16:40 AM »

Great point.  Look at the problems Coach K had coaching NBA players, 75-1 all time, 3 for 3 Olympic gold. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2074 on: July 11, 2021, 11:41:40 AM »
In the words of Linkin Park... In the end, it doesn't even matter.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback