collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2020-21  (Read 188105 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: NBA Thread 2020-21
« Reply #1475 on: June 20, 2021, 11:06:22 PM »
The area where people party outside at Fiserv, "The Deer District" do they have beer and food stands?

The Deer District includes like a dozen bars/restaurants
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1476 on: June 20, 2021, 11:09:48 PM »
The Deer District includes like a dozen bars/restaurants

I'm talking about the immediate spot where people are congregating and jumping around.  Not the restaurants/bars across the street or on 3rd.  I'm just curious if there are beer and food vendors right there? 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1477 on: June 20, 2021, 11:28:28 PM »
I'm talking about the immediate spot where people are congregating and jumping around.  Not the restaurants/bars across the street or on 3rd.  I'm just curious if there are beer and food vendors right there?

What's shown on TV isn't the whole Deer District. Think of that area as the front yard. From there you can access a corridor that is surrounded by a dozen bars on each side. These aren't the bars on 3rd st, they're newly constructed since the Fiserv opened. I've never been during a game but my understanding is that you can move freely (as freely as you can when its packed) from the area that's shown on TV to the rest of the Deer District for all your refreshment needs. I don't believe there are any beer/food stands in the area you are talking about
TAMU

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #1478 on: June 20, 2021, 11:32:01 PM »
Bobby Portis averaged 11 points and 7 rebounds a game. His disappearance is very weird.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1479 on: June 20, 2021, 11:59:03 PM »
What's shown on TV isn't the whole Deer District. Think of that area as the front yard. From there you can access a corridor that is surrounded by a dozen bars on each side. These aren't the bars on 3rd st, they're newly constructed since the Fiserv opened. I've never been during a game but my understanding is that you can move freely (as freely as you can when its packed) from the area that's shown on TV to the rest of the Deer District for all your refreshment needs. I don't believe there are any beer/food stands in the area you are talking about

Thx.  I didn't realize what they actually considered the "deer district".  Now, we need to get that area packed for MU games.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1480 on: June 21, 2021, 12:04:17 AM »

Correct.  However, during the Toronto series in 2019 there were a few pop up drink stands run by the bars in the courtyard that were selling cause there was a huge screen set up

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #1481 on: June 21, 2021, 12:56:57 AM »
Bobby Portis averaged 11 points and 7 rebounds a game. His disappearance is very weird.
I was wondering if he's hurt... but while his defense improved this year he's not the guy I want on KD, ever.  I think he'll see much more time in the ATL series basically because ATL is a much worse team and the Bucks should be able to get the starters down below 40 mpg and still win.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1482 on: June 21, 2021, 06:03:19 AM »
BLM is right though.  Atlanta can just put the ball in the basket.  It isn't inconceivable that they can win this series simply by outscoring the Bucks four times in shoot-out games.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1483 on: June 21, 2021, 06:51:39 AM »
Jojo didn't sound happy.  He made a lot of excuses frankly.  I haven't watched Simmons all that much but I think he should probably play the 4.

Simmons isn't a power forward.  He's not a bad point guard from a handling perspective, but he either can't shoot or has a tremendous mental block.  He likely needs a change of scenery but is likely untradeable with that contract.

The Sixers just looked like a mismatched collection of parts, and I'm not sure Doc is that great a coach these days anyway.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1484 on: June 21, 2021, 07:07:05 AM »

Simmons isn't a power forward.  He's not a bad point guard from a handling perspective, but he either can't shoot or has a tremendous mental block.  He likely needs a change of scenery but is likely untradeable with that contract.

The Sixers just looked like a mismatched collection of parts, and I'm not sure Doc is that great a coach these days anyway.

NBA GMs are very creative. There have been many "untradeable" players who have ended up being traded. It requires being willing to give up assets -- usually draft picks -- just to get a team (usually a bad team) with cap room to take a player off your hands. It also sometimes requires taking another bad contract in exchange, but maybe it will be a shorter-term bad contract. I mean, Miles Plumlee had a disastrous contract, and yet GMs managed to trade him twice.

As for Rivers, unfortunately I agree that he certainly has not shown coaching greatness in many years. And I'm not sure Philly will be the place for him to restore his reputation. Of course, he doesn't "need" that anyway. He is a multimillionaire who could be a broadcasting star again if he wants to.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1485 on: June 21, 2021, 08:05:13 AM »
BLM is right though.  Atlanta can just put the ball in the basket.  It isn't inconceivable that they can win this series simply by outscoring the Bucks four times in shoot-out games.

That's my fear. They have a little "bubble Miami" vibe to them.

The Bucks have struggled to guard teams like Atlanta who can spread them out... it really neutralizes the impact Brook and Giannis have defensively. Even with homecourt, I would have rather seen Philly.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1486 on: June 21, 2021, 08:31:35 AM »
How Lopez does defensively is an issue with the way they spread the floor.  You know ATL will try to exploit that.   What in the world happened to Portis?  You would think he could be valuable in this series.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1487 on: June 21, 2021, 08:35:23 AM »

I just watched the clip where Simmons passed up the wide open dunk.  Wow.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1488 on: June 21, 2021, 09:18:36 AM »
“Respect to the Milwaukee Bucks in how they prepare, how they challenged us all series and made adjustments all series. We’ve got nothing but respect for that ballclub.” -- Kevin Durant

"Bud is the worst. His teams are never prepared. He never makes good adjustments. He deserves no respect." -- some Scoopers

"Iz dat wojo kohching da Does now? Fyre hiz azz, and hav hymn tayk Greek Freek wit him, oona?" -- Doc Dribble

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1489 on: June 21, 2021, 09:22:38 AM »
I think Holiday can win the matchup with Young more often than not. I don't think Atlanta wins without Young going nuclear multiple games.
TAMU

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1490 on: June 21, 2021, 09:47:38 AM »
“Respect to the Milwaukee Bucks in how they prepare, how they challenged us all series and made adjustments all series. We’ve got nothing but respect for that ballclub.” -- Kevin Durant

"Bud is the worst. His teams are never prepared. He never makes good adjustments. He deserves no respect." -- some Scoopers

"Iz dat wojo kohching da Does now? Fyre hiz azz, and hav hymn tayk Greek Freek wit him, oona?" -- Doc Dribble

Fair, but Durant’s comments seem from the standard script for what to say in that situation.

I will say, I think Bud has coached much better in these playoffs than the past 2.

For not being rivals, the Hawks and Bucks are a little intertwined. Bud having fairly similar tenures in both spots. The Bogdan debacle this summer. I believe the Hawks were the main team targeting Giannis in the draft.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1491 on: June 21, 2021, 09:51:32 AM »
I think Holiday can win the matchup with Young more often than not. I don't think Atlanta wins without Young going nuclear multiple games.

Last 4 games, Trae Young was 36/102 and 12/38 from 3.  If he puts up those pedestrian chucker numbers, the Bucks win going away IMO

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1492 on: June 21, 2021, 10:04:23 AM »
I just watched the clip where Simmons passed up the wide open dunk.  Wow.

Seeing all the reactions to it made me think it was going to be worse than it was. Yes, he has to dunk that, but it looked like he lost his momentum, when he was grabbed on his roll to the hoop, and the help defender was largely already there. He dumped it off to the guy that could go up with momentum.

Not good, but not terrible.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1493 on: June 21, 2021, 10:24:48 AM »

Credit where it's due, he has been much better in the last two games. They didn't take the bait defensively as much like the second half of G5.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1494 on: June 21, 2021, 10:50:23 AM »
Seeing all the reactions to it made me think it was going to be worse than it was. Yes, he has to dunk that, but it looked like he lost his momentum, when he was grabbed on his roll to the hoop, and the help defender was largely already there. He dumped it off to the guy that could go up with momentum.

Not good, but not terrible.

I agree. Obviously someone like Giannis is throwing that down, but it wasn’t overly awful. It looked like he bobbled the ball a bit on his way up too. I anticipated him being alone under the basket and kicking it out.

I at least see a case for passing it. However, you’d expect someone at his level to throw it down.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1495 on: June 21, 2021, 10:54:30 AM »
Credit where it's due, he has been much better in the last two games. They didn't take the bait defensively as much like the second half of G5.

Agreed.

I don't watch the Bucks enough to know if Bud is a "good coach" or "bad coach," but I have watched several of their playoff games, including most in the series vs. the Nets.

In the NBA, your stars have to go 1-on-1 sometimes, but I do wish the Bucks wouldn't settle for long, long stretches of playing 1-on-1 because they are better when they move the ball. Defensively, though, I agree with you that Bud made some very good adjustments as the Nets series went on.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how he plays a guy like Lopez against a team with much smaller, much quicker bigs and if the offense flows better.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #1496 on: June 21, 2021, 11:00:49 AM »
The area where people party outside at Fiserv, "The Deer District" do they have beer and food stands?

Haven't been there for a playoff game so maybe someone can chime in there, but yes. I've been there for other events and it's an enclosed area where they have beer and concession stands. I believe the surrounding bars are technically inside the District as well so people can filter in and out of them, drink in hand.

The crowd looked absolutely bonkers during game 7. Never in my life would I expect such excitement around the Bucks. Really a special time to be a fan.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1497 on: June 21, 2021, 11:15:22 AM »
Haven't been there for a playoff game so maybe someone can chime in there, but yes. I've been there for other events and it's an enclosed area where they have beer and concession stands. I believe the surrounding bars are technically inside the District as well so people can filter in and out of them, drink in hand.

The crowd looked absolutely bonkers during game 7. Never in my life would I expect such excitement around the Bucks. Really a special time to be a fan.

I watched Game 2 of the 2019 ECF inside Good City. It was a bunch of fun. I don’t remember it being as crowded as the BKN series showed. They stamped your hand and I believe there was a security checkpoint.

I’ll ask my neighbor as he went on Saturday. Just watching, I’m not sure there was much room to leave your spot for a beer or bathroom break.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1498 on: June 21, 2021, 11:18:40 AM »

Translation, please? tried Google Translate and got an error message.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1499 on: June 21, 2021, 11:59:37 AM »

There are two main outdoor areas. The one  directly outside Fiserv is the Bucks watch party. Then there is the Beer Garden. Both have alcohol/beverages. Food options are limited to none.

Once the game starts you cannot leave the area and come back in. You have no access to the restaurants and bars if you are watching outside unless you are not planning to re-enter.

In normal times you're absolutely correct, you can wander around the entire district. For the last three games once it hit capacity you were not able to leave and re-enter. Safety reasons and huge lines to get in.

If you want to get a table make sure you get there early. I arrived at 3 PM on Saturday and there were only 2 empty tables remaining. Game 7 was nuts. Hopefully the crowds are under capacity for the ECF so people have a bit more flexibility.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 02:39:16 PM by BM1090 »