collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2020-21  (Read 188310 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2020-21
« Reply #1300 on: June 16, 2021, 10:32:44 AM »
I'd have to go back and watch the Nets comeback again, but it sure felt like they were targeting Lopez a ton and the Bucks had no answer. And given how well things went Sunday playing small I'm furious that they didn't play it that way sooner. By the time Bud woke up and made the change, the momentum was already firmly with Brooklyn and it was too late. Too many soft switches on high ball screens, poor communication on others. It was a disaster.

As for the offense, the fact that they had Harden out there for 40 minutes and didn't attack him more than a few times is malpractice. I don't have a problem with iso ball when it's used correctly. There were a handful of times when Holiday had Harden up top, and rather than spread the floor and let him cook they brought a ball screen which brought help or a switch. Just dumb f*cking basketball for the last 19 minutes of the game.

Outstanding synopsis.  Spot-on/100% accurate. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1301 on: June 16, 2021, 10:36:19 AM »

Was Bobby Portis hurt?  He didn't play yesterday at all, and if you are going to go small, that's the guy you bring in, and with his experience is going to manage PnR better than Lopez did.

Bud was asked about that, and his answer is pretty infuriating. “We just kind of went with more of a spread court, more spacing. Bobby is going to be ready. He’ll be ready to go and help us whenever we need him.”

The other thing that really drove me nuts was picking KD up as far out as they did. It let them get into their action sooner to give him more space to get downhill. And if left guys like Griffin and Green open on the perimeter and they punished it.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1302 on: June 16, 2021, 10:38:01 AM »
I'd have to go back and watch the Nets comeback again, but it sure felt like they were targeting Lopez a ton and the Bucks had no answer. And given how well things went Sunday playing small I'm furious that they didn't play it that way sooner. By the time Bud woke up and made the change, the momentum was already firmly with Brooklyn and it was too late. Too many soft switches on high ball screens, poor communication on others. It was a disaster.

As for the offense, the fact that they had Harden out there for 40 minutes and didn't attack him more than a few times is malpractice. I don't have a problem with iso ball when it's used correctly. There were a handful of times when Holiday had Harden up top, and rather than spread the floor and let him cook they brought a ball screen which brought help or a switch. Just dumb f*cking basketball for the last 19 minutes of the game.

My recollection is Durant really got going when he could get a screen from the guy Lopez was guarding, and Lopez sunk to protect the paint and Durant had pretty open elbow jumpers.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1303 on: June 16, 2021, 10:43:32 AM »
Bud was asked about that, and his answer is pretty infuriating. “We just kind of went with more of a spread court, more spacing. Bobby is going to be ready. He’ll be ready to go and help us whenever we need him.”

But that answer makes no sense to me.  Portis makes a lot more sense than Brook does under that philosophy.  In fact, that answer is so bizarre it makes me wonder if he didn't play for an injury or some other reason, and Bud is protecting the player.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1304 on: June 16, 2021, 11:00:15 AM »
Not that you need validation from me or anybody else, but ... several good comments, MUfan12.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1305 on: June 16, 2021, 05:06:53 PM »
Kareem told ESPN the Bucks are a “great team” but that they need “a better approach” as an organization.

Asked if he thought this Bucks team can win an NBA title, he said:

“No, I don’t.”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1306 on: June 16, 2021, 07:09:01 PM »
Kareem told ESPN the Bucks are a “great team” but that they need “a better approach” as an organization.

Asked if he thought this Bucks team can win an NBA title, he said:

“No, I don’t.”
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/kareem-abdul-jabbar-doesnt-think-this-bucks-team-is-capable-of-winning-a-title-k-d-would-kill-those-guys/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1307 on: June 16, 2021, 07:28:34 PM »
Call me crazy but I expect the Bucks to win in 7. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1308 on: June 16, 2021, 07:50:02 PM »
It won't be the first time you've been called crazy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1309 on: June 16, 2021, 07:55:50 PM »
It won't be the first time you've been called crazy.

You're supposed to be on my side Tower! 

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #1310 on: June 16, 2021, 08:36:14 PM »
Call me crazy but I expect the Bucks to win in 7.

This isn't crazy.

Next game at home, they will be fired up. I expect double digit win. They can win game 7 unless Bud implodes again. Unlikely that kd goes off like that again and more unlikely Green scores 27 again. They can win the series for sure, but I have already prepared myself for the worst.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1311 on: June 16, 2021, 08:41:59 PM »
Not sure if this was already posted. Chris Paul out for Covid 19 protocol. That will not help The Suns and Jae's cause.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1405143542675165190

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1312 on: June 16, 2021, 09:16:46 PM »
Sixers are one of the worst second half teams I can remember.  They just sleepwalk

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1313 on: June 16, 2021, 09:26:44 PM »
Sixers are one of the worst second half teams I can remember.  They just sleepwalk

They dont have killers.

Simmons is a complete joke. Like embarrassing how he hasnt improved shooting a basketball. And actually getting worse.

Embiid is a lot like Giannis. Make him shoot in the clutch. Guy wilts.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1314 on: June 16, 2021, 09:28:55 PM »
Wow.  Wasn't Philly up like 25?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1315 on: June 16, 2021, 10:56:45 PM »
As a Bucks fan I feel better after watching the 76ers exceed Milwaukee in bedwetting

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1316 on: June 16, 2021, 10:59:53 PM »
Simmons is a complete joke. Like embarrassing how he hasnt improved shooting a basketball. And actually getting worse.

This came up a few weeks ago when people objected to Simmons being called lazy after he just finished second in DPOY.  This is a prime example.  If he had a jump shot, he’d be near unstoppable, and he’s done seemingly nothing to get himself there. His performance from the FT line today was one of the most pathetic things I’ve ever seen from a “superstar”.  Dude was making Giannis look like Steph Curry from the line.

Also, I love the dude and he’s a great guy and a good coach, but it might be time to start having a conversation about Doc.  Since the Big 3 in Boston, he’s never made it past the conference semis and lost in the first round/missed the playoffs more years than he’s won a first round matchup.  And it’s always been with good rosters.

The Sixers had a near 20 point lead they blew last game and had a 99.7% win probability late in the 3rd quarter tonight

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1317 on: June 17, 2021, 07:40:49 AM »
Just last year, Doc's Clippers team held a 3-1 lead in the conference semis and a seven point lead heading into the fourth quarter of Game 5.  They were outscored by 13 in the fourth and lost the next two.

Again, I love the guy for his MU connections, but I would have no interest in him as a Bucks' coach should they fire Bud.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1318 on: June 17, 2021, 08:20:48 AM »
This came up a few weeks ago when people objected to Simmons being called lazy after he just finished second in DPOY.  This is a prime example.  If he had a jump shot, he’d be near unstoppable, and he’s done seemingly nothing to get himself there. His performance from the FT line today was one of the most pathetic things I’ve ever seen from a “superstar”.  Dude was making Giannis look like Steph Curry from the line.

Also, I love the dude and he’s a great guy and a good coach, but it might be time to start having a conversation about Doc.  Since the Big 3 in Boston, he’s never made it past the conference semis and lost in the first round/missed the playoffs more years than he’s won a first round matchup.  And it’s always been with good rosters.

The Sixers had a near 20 point lead they blew last game and had a 99.7% win probability late in the 3rd quarter tonight

I was thinking the same about our friend Glenn, and I'm sad that I am.

As for Simmons, how would you like to be the organization that was stuck giving a max deal to that guy? They had no choice, really -- kind of the Joe Mauer Syndrome -- but wow. If I were coaching against the Sixers, I'd send him to the line 10 times a game (20 shots), minimum.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1319 on: June 17, 2021, 10:40:39 AM »
As for Simmons, how would you like to be the organization that was stuck giving a max deal to that guy? They had no choice, really -- kind of the Joe Mauer Syndrome -- but wow. If I were coaching against the Sixers, I'd send him to the line 10 times a game (20 shots), minimum.

There were a number of proposed and theorized trades about Simmons to the Warriors given their pick situation.  Honestly, it’s kind of a perfect fit for him. If he’s surrounded with shooters and he can be a distributor and transition scorer, he can still be an excellent mismatch of a PG.  But if you can sag on him at all, forget about it

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1320 on: June 17, 2021, 11:16:53 AM »
If you were coaching Milwaukee what would you do about Giannis' shot?  It's a complete disaster as are his free throws.  The bottom line is, regardless of Budenholzer's issues or his teammates, is that he has to be able to shoot the ball as a #1.  And it's gotten much worse imo.  He is literally being given a 12 foot jumper.  I'm wondering what his overall percentage is beyond 5 feet from the rim?  My guess is under 35%?  30%?   He shot 73% from the line one season, this is primarily mental.  I think they are still very capable of getting to the Finals with the injuries, and other guys haven't shown up, but it's on Giannis to figure out how to make easy J's and FT's.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1321 on: June 17, 2021, 11:18:54 AM »
At da end of da dey, peddle his ass, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1322 on: June 17, 2021, 12:01:05 PM »
If you were coaching Milwaukee what would you do about Giannis' shot?  It's a complete disaster as are his free throws.  The bottom line is, regardless of Budenholzer's issues or his teammates, is that he has to be able to shoot the ball as a #1.  And it's gotten much worse imo.  He is literally being given a 12 foot jumper.  I'm wondering what his overall percentage is beyond 5 feet from the rim?  My guess is under 35%?  30%?   He shot 73% from the line one season, this is primarily mental.  I think they are still very capable of getting to the Finals with the injuries, and other guys haven't shown up, but it's on Giannis to figure out how to make easy J's and FT's.

As he added strength he got more mechanical with his shot. Rookie year he had a lower release, but it was smoother. If he kept that shot with his body now he'd miss everything long.

He hand picked his shooting coach and wants to work his way. That needs to change. Personally, I'd speed him up. See what the shot looks like instinctually when he doesn't have time to think about it. If that means a lower release point so be it, he's tall enough it won't get blocked.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1323 on: June 17, 2021, 12:27:18 PM »
At da end of da dey, peddle his ass, hey?

They probably will after the current ownership group cashes out and the next group needs to cut costs.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1324 on: June 17, 2021, 12:38:24 PM »
As he added strength he got more mechanical with his shot. Rookie year he had a lower release, but it was smoother. If he kept that shot with his body now he'd miss everything long.

He hand picked his shooting coach and wants to work his way. That needs to change. Personally, I'd speed him up. See what the shot looks like instinctually when he doesn't have time to think about it. If that means a lower release point so be it, he's tall enough it won't get blocked.

It’s amazing to me how little touch he has around the rim. He threw up some floaters last game that were rocks.

I think he just thinks too much and is robotic. For his free throws, I’d probably just have him dribble once and fire. I don’t think it would be any worse at this point.