collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2020-21  (Read 188305 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: NBA Thread 2020-21
« Reply #925 on: May 30, 2021, 12:49:03 PM »
Why? You didn't have fun watching him dominate in the playoffs last season with a great all-around game? Not criticizing you, just wondering why.

Probably his attitude. He wants to be top dog. The problem is that he isn’t good enough to be a #1 guy - lots of guys in the 10-20 range who are really good players but who will never win a title unless they wanna be a #2. He coulda won in Philly if he let himself be the 2nd or 3rd guy. But he wanted to be the Alpha.

I expect he will chase a title in his mid-30s by taking a lesser role.

Other than Jimmy, I root for all MU guys. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #926 on: May 30, 2021, 01:59:04 PM »
Probably his attitude. He wants to be top dog. The problem is that he isn’t good enough to be a #1 guy - lots of guys in the 10-20 range who are really good players but who will never win a title unless they wanna be a #2. He coulda won in Philly if he let himself be the 2nd or 3rd guy. But he wanted to be the Alpha.

We disagree on much of this, but thanks for answering.

Loved having Jimmy at Marquette, appreciate what he turned himself into as a pro, and root for him all the time.

Diff'rent strokes, and all that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #927 on: May 30, 2021, 02:21:45 PM »
We disagree on much of this, but thanks for answering.

Loved having Jimmy at Marquette, appreciate what he turned himself into as a pro, and root for him all the time.

Diff'rent strokes, and all that.

I, as well, was a huge fan of Jimmy at MU. Also for his first few years in the NBA.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #928 on: May 30, 2021, 04:05:23 PM »

Jimmy has absolutely no issue with defering. Guy is a bit psycho and hard headed no doubt, but he has never been a guy that needs to be the go to guy.

His issues in Minny and Philly were players/coaches that didnt rise to his level of work. Jimmy definitely has to share some of that blame not being able to adapt to them the same way they couldnt adapt to his level.

But one of the main reasons why many people think Kawhi ends up in Miami and its a perfect fit is that because of the players Jimmy and Kawhi are.

Kawhi is not interested in being a vocal leader/top dog. But Jimmy will take that role. And on the flip side, Kawhi can be the top dog as a player.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #929 on: May 30, 2021, 05:10:58 PM »

His issues in Minny and Philly were players/coaches that didnt rise to his level of work. Jimmy definitely has to share some of that blame not being able to adapt to them the same way they couldnt adapt to his level.

So, you think Embiid and Simmons don't want to try hard?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #930 on: May 30, 2021, 05:17:54 PM »
So, you think Embiid and Simmons don't want to try hard?

Embiid and JImmy didnt have issues, at all.

Simmons?? Yeah, the guy is kinda known for being lazy and showing zero interest in developing any sort of shot(which would make him unstoppable).

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #931 on: May 30, 2021, 05:33:03 PM »
Simmons?? Yeah, the guy is kinda known for being lazy and showing zero interest in developing any sort of shot(which would make him unstoppable).

Simmons is basically the same player as when he came in the league.  He’s a freak athlete and very talented, but his game has almost plateau’d statistically. He’s a good defender cause of his length, but he’s not a an absolute lockdown defender like he could be. Hell, he could work with the absolute best and still he uses his nobody brother as a shooting coach, for the most lacking skill in his game.  He’s had attitude question marks since his draft evals.

Contrast that with Butler who has been on an upward trajectory as a player since getting into the league and is known as a relentless worker

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #932 on: May 30, 2021, 06:18:40 PM »
I just saw that Phoenix won today.  How serious is Davis' injury?  Jae had a nice game statistically.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #933 on: May 30, 2021, 07:10:21 PM »
Jimmy was 100% right about KAT and that cast of clowns in Minnesota.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #934 on: May 30, 2021, 07:23:20 PM »
Jimmy was 100% right about KAT and that cast of clowns in Minnesota.

Jimmy was also right in MN about Thibs not taking his long-term health seriously with the number of minutes Jimmy was getting played every night. Imagine watching the team max Wiggins?

Jimmy was right about Brett Brown not having a gameplan in Philly. The amount of time that Jimmy's role in the offense was standing in the corner was absolutely wild.

Jimmy found a great home in Miami. He's a gritty guy that plays somewhat ugly basketball that's still based on initiating a ton of contact. The Heat couldn't get anyone going the entire series, so credit to Milwaukee for crushing their spirit.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #935 on: May 30, 2021, 07:32:50 PM »
I just saw that Phoenix won today.  How serious is Davis' injury?  Jae had a nice game statistically.

They said AD is day to day with the groin, no guarantee he plays game 5...aka he’ll be fine

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #936 on: May 30, 2021, 10:09:32 PM »
They said AD is day to day with the groin, no guarantee he plays game 5...aka he’ll be fine

Ty. 

Apparently some dumbass fan in Boston threw a water bottle at Kyrie.  Smh.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #937 on: May 30, 2021, 11:28:40 PM »
Jimmy was also right in MN about Thibs not taking his long-term health seriously with the number of minutes Jimmy was getting played every night. Imagine watching the team max Wiggins?

Jimmy was right about Brett Brown not having a gameplan in Philly. The amount of time that Jimmy's role in the offense was standing in the corner was absolutely wild.

Jimmy found a great home in Miami. He's a gritty guy that plays somewhat ugly basketball that's still based on initiating a ton of contact. The Heat couldn't get anyone going the entire series, so credit to Milwaukee for crushing their spirit.

So Jimmy is right all the time, plays harder than everyone, and he’s smarter than the coaches?

Thank you all for making me know I am right.  Jimmy will never win a title being the alpha. He ain’t good enough.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #938 on: May 30, 2021, 11:36:55 PM »
I see it is still open season on NBA players. Westbrook, Morant’s parents, and now Kyrie.  For some reason, I can’t quite put my finger on, certain people have become targets.

I’ll go back to something I’ve said before (and I’ll take the flack for it). Any player who is physically attacked should be able to defend himself. This is only going to get worse.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #939 on: May 31, 2021, 12:06:45 AM »
I see it is still open season on NBA players. Westbrook, Morant’s parents, and now Kyrie.  For some reason, I can’t quite put my finger on, certain people have become targets.

I’ll go back to something I’ve said before (and I’ll take the flack for it). Any player who is physically attacked should be able to defend himself. This is only going to get worse.

Well think about how dumb you have to be, especially in this day an age, to so some of this garbage?  There are cameras everywhere. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #940 on: May 31, 2021, 01:28:01 AM »

So Jimmy is right all the time, plays harder than everyone, and he’s smarter than the coaches?

Thank you all for making me know I am right.  Jimmy will never win a title being the alpha. He ain’t good enough.

Who said he was smarter?  Thibs runs players into the ground.  That’s part of his style. Jimmy knew that wasn’t going be conducive to his long term career. And given the TWolves are headed for yet another top 5 pick and Thibs got canned, he read the situation right there.

And Brett Brown’s offense that Jimmy didn’t like got him fired.

You have no backing for any of your emotional dislikes of him.  Your main gripe is he thinks he’s really good.  He basically willed a team to a finals and took a team that was much better than the Heat to 6 games, with him as the unquestioned leader.  But it’s fine, we’re all just silly with our facts and evidence being totally wrong, just proving your gut right.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #941 on: May 31, 2021, 01:42:11 AM »

I think this all would have been better if you would have started your JImmy hate with "I am also extremely irrational".

You are free to dislike any player you want, MU related or not. But man, try to at least be intelligent about it.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #942 on: May 31, 2021, 06:42:00 AM »

Your criticisms were his attitude and that he wants to be the alpha.  There is no evidence that he wants to be the alpha and therefore can't play with other top players so lets just dismiss that one.  And his "attitude" was often well justified when looked at in context and in retrospect.

Not to mention that as the alpha, he took them to within two games of the championship against a team with LBJ and AD as its cornerstones.

I actually expect pretty major changes in Miami this year that would team up Jimmy with another top player.  Khawhi maybe?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #943 on: May 31, 2021, 09:49:27 AM »
The Bucks/Nets series should be a lot of fun.  But now that I've watched a bit I just don't see Milwaukee beating them.  I hope I'm wrong but when you have three guys that can create their own shot and score 30 a game, plus a dead-eye spot shooter along side, it's an enormous advantage.  The Bucks are going to have to average 127 min I think to have a legitimate chance. 

We really haven't seen a "Big 3" like this before.  Not only can they all score at will off the bounce, but they have deep range.  I just look at the last 5-6 mins of the game and think Brooklyn has an enormous advantage over anyone.  They are poor defensively but I'm not sure it matters when you can drop 135 like a walk in the park.  If you were Budenholzer who would you have Holiday guard Kyrie or Harden? 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #944 on: May 31, 2021, 11:22:01 AM »

Your criticisms were his attitude and that he wants to be the alpha.  There is no evidence that he wants to be the alpha and therefore can't play with other top players so lets just dismiss that one.  And his "attitude" was often well justified when looked at in context and in retrospect.

Not to mention that as the alpha, he took them to within two games of the championship against a team with LBJ and AD as its cornerstones.

I actually expect pretty major changes in Miami this year that would team up Jimmy with another top player.  Khawhi maybe?

I disagree with your assessment, but there is time to find out which of us is correct.

Having Khawhi in Miami would be fascinating. Make no mistake, though. Quiet as he is, Khawhi is an Alpha.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #945 on: May 31, 2021, 04:53:13 PM »
The Bucks/Nets series should be a lot of fun.  But now that I've watched a bit I just don't see Milwaukee beating them.  I hope I'm wrong but when you have three guys that can create their own shot and score 30 a game, plus a dead-eye spot shooter along side, it's an enormous advantage.  The Bucks are going to have to average 127 min I think to have a legitimate chance. 

We really haven't seen a "Big 3" like this before.  Not only can they all score at will off the bounce, but they have deep range.  I just look at the last 5-6 mins of the game and think Brooklyn has an enormous advantage over anyone.  They are poor defensively but I'm not sure it matters when you can drop 135 like a walk in the park.  If you were Budenholzer who would you have Holiday guard Kyrie or Harden?

Bucks lineups will be fascinating. I stick Jrue on Harden to start. Harden and KD can win with hero ball, take your chances with Kyrie. I think locking down Joe Harris is an X Factor for the Bucks.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #946 on: May 31, 2021, 07:47:10 PM »
Bucks lineups will be fascinating. I stick Jrue on Harden to start. Harden and KD can win with hero ball, take your chances with Kyrie. I think locking down Joe Harris is an X Factor for the Bucks.

I'm just not sure what you do defensively.  Kyrie and Harden have A+ handles.  You're not going to stop them from going downhill or elevating and getting clean looks.  I would focus on keeping them off the line.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #947 on: May 31, 2021, 08:47:56 PM »
I am currently watching Washington go with the hack a Simmons approach.

Yeah, Jimmy was the issue

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #948 on: June 01, 2021, 02:35:42 PM »
I think locking down Joe Harris is an X Factor for the Bucks.

I agree, and that's where not having Donte hurts.

I don't know what to make of this series... last month I'd have taken the Nets in 5 or 6. The Bucks' defensive effort against Miami was so good, that it's making me think they could possibly pull this off.

The Nets going from Jordan to Griffin/Claxton makes me wonder how much the Bucks can play Brook. Have to think Tucker is gonna play heavy minutes.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #949 on: June 01, 2021, 10:40:52 PM »
Lakers without AD down 30 at halftime.  Lebron 3 for 10 with 3 TOs and going through the motions conserving energy. Sheesh. They better hope AD is back on Thur cause the Suns have momentum and confidence and CP3 looks healthy