collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2020-21  (Read 188062 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2020-21
« Reply #900 on: May 28, 2021, 11:01:04 PM »
I imagine it wont be just one, but thoughts on who Jrue should line up against Brooklyn?  He has dominated Kyrie in the regular season, but maybe put him on Harden, make Kyrie play hero ball??? Then do your best w/ Giannis, PJ Tucker, and Middleton on Durant.

With DD out now, who was serviceable to good as defensive player, throws a bit of a wrench in it.  Hope for MKE to sweep and somehow Boston to win a game to get rest, because the JH, Giannis, and KM are gonna play A LOT of minutes.

Yeah that's the major issue with losing Donte.  He does a good job of fighting over screens and chasing perimeter shooters around the court.  The good thing is Middleton has had some experience chasing Duncan around against the Heat this series, so I think he could match up with Joe Harris.  I almost would like to see PJ Tucker put on Harden, Giannis on KD, and Jrue just taking Kyrie out of the series.  But this certainly makes it tougher.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #901 on: May 29, 2021, 06:28:28 AM »
I thought it was funny that LBJ chose to take less than the max and convince Bosh to join him in Miami with Wade by convincing both of those guys to take less than max money so they could all fit on one team, but then he complained about having never signed a max contract and talks about how underpaid he was while he was with the Heat.

I thought it was funny that LBJ won the first and second of his 4 titles, helped Wade to his second and third titles, and made it possible for Bosh to win two titles he otherwise never would have won.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #902 on: May 29, 2021, 09:47:46 AM »
I thought it was funny that LBJ won the first and second of his 4 titles, helped Wade to his second and third titles, and made it possible for Bosh to win two titles he otherwise never would have won.

Well, Bosh would’ve had one more if LBJ wasn’t in the fetal position in a corner against Dallas the first year he took a pay cut to play with 2 other top 5 players in the NBA (while mockingly coughing at Dirk as Dirk was lighting them up…at least Wade, the proven champion LBJ needed to jump to, backed the trash talk up with his play).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

reinko

• All American
« Reply #903 on: May 29, 2021, 09:54:56 AM »
Shoutout to the Cs for getting at least one.

If that’s the defense Bklyn has planned for MKE, sheesh…Bucks just should just pick n roll w/ GA and Middleton to death, and if/when that doesn’t work, throw Giannis at the 5, allow Holiday to create off the dribble.

Bucks should average 125+

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #904 on: May 29, 2021, 09:57:21 AM »
Well, Bosh would’ve had one more if LBJ wasn’t in the fetal position in a corner against Dallas the first year he took a pay cut to play with 2 other top 5 players in the NBA (while mockingly coughing at Dirk as Dirk was lighting them up…at least Wade, the proven champion LBJ needed to jump to, backed the trash talk up with his play).

Would you say that was the worst performance by a player of Lebron's caliber in the Finals ever?  You're exactly right, he didn't show up.  I have a hard time believing any other player that is considered top 10 of all time would play that poorly.  And keep in mind Nowitzki didn't exactly have great players around him. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #905 on: May 29, 2021, 12:37:48 PM »

You're right, wades. LeBron is a coward who has never won and never will.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #906 on: May 29, 2021, 12:47:06 PM »
Would you say that was the worst performance by a player of Lebron's caliber in the Finals ever?  You're exactly right, he didn't show up.  I have a hard time believing any other player that is considered top 10 of all time would play that poorly.  And keep in mind Nowitzki didn't exactly have great players around him.

Well, given that nobody except Jordan is "a player of LeBron's caliber," no.

But Kobe had several poor games. For example, G1 vs 76ers in 2001 Finals, 7-22 shooting, 15 pts, 6 TOs in a loss to Phil. He also had 3 terrible games against Sacramento in the 2002 conference finals as LA fell behind 3 games to 2.

When you play in as many huge games as Kobe and LeBron did/have in their careers, you'll have some stinkers.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #907 on: May 29, 2021, 12:49:53 PM »
Well, given that nobody except Jordan is "a player of LeBron's caliber," no.

But Kobe had several poor games. For example, G1 vs 76ers in 2001 Finals, 7-22 shooting, 15 pts, 6 TOs in a loss to Phil. He also had 3 terrible games against Sacramento in the 2002 conference finals as LA fell behind 3 games to 2.

When you play in as many huge games as Kobe and LeBron did/have in their careers, you'll have some stinkers.

That's true.  Kobe was a dumpster fire for a number of games.  However, I don't have him in my top 10 of all-time.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #908 on: May 29, 2021, 12:51:35 PM »
You're right, wades. LeBron is a coward who has never won and never will.

Not at all what was said. But okay.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #909 on: May 29, 2021, 12:57:24 PM »
The Bucks look abysmal early in this game.  Hopefully they get it together.  I still think Giannis' issues in the half-court offense is a concern moving forward.  He has no confidence in a simple jump shot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #910 on: May 29, 2021, 01:31:15 PM »
That's true.  Kobe was a dumpster fire for a number of games.  However, I don't have him in my top 10 of all-time.

Again, there are few (if not only one) players "of LeBron's caliber" ... but feel free to look up some of Larry Bird's playoff performances, including some in the Finals: https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/birdla01/gamelog-playoffs/

Lots of clunkers. It happens. They are human.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #911 on: May 29, 2021, 02:50:38 PM »
Go Bucks

MU82

• All American
« Reply #912 on: May 29, 2021, 02:53:23 PM »
Smoes 4, Spoes 0

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #913 on: May 29, 2021, 03:01:24 PM »
Smoes 4, Spoes 0

Forbes 60, Butler 58

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #914 on: May 29, 2021, 03:10:05 PM »
Forbes 60, Butler 58

Talk of the bench upgrades not being significant didnt age well.  Forbes was unreal, Portis was very solid, and Tucker played fantastic defense

Also, a lot of gleeful mocking of Butler on Twitter, which is dumb. He struggled offensively and the Bucks defensive schemes on him were really good, but dude still averaged 15/8/7 with no foul trouble and few TOs all series.  Outside of Bam, nobody else on the Heat showed up.  Ariza was terrible, Dragic was bad after Game 1, Herro was bad, Robinson was bad.  He could have went for 25/8/8 if his shooting efficiency was up and it still wouldn’t have mattered.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2021, 03:26:22 PM by JWags85 »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #915 on: May 29, 2021, 03:29:12 PM »
Talk of the bench upgrades not being significant didnt age well.  Forbes was unreal, Portis was very solid, and Tucker played fantastic defense

Also, a lot of gleeful mocking of Butler on Twitter, which is dumb. He struggled offensively and the Bucks defensive schemes on him were really good, but dude still averaged 15/8/7 with no foul trouble and few TOs all series.  Outside of Bam, nobody else on the Heat showed up.  Ariza was terrible, Dragic was bad after Game 1, Herro was bad, Robinson was bad.  He could have went for 25/8/8 if his shooting efficiency was up and it still wouldn’t have mattered.

Bam showed up this series for the Heat?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #916 on: May 29, 2021, 03:42:41 PM »

He wasn’t great either, but at least he was close to his season averages for the series. He wasn’t a complete zero like some

LON

• All American
« Reply #917 on: May 29, 2021, 06:32:10 PM »
He wasn’t great either, but at least he was close to his season averages for the series. He wasn’t a complete zero like some

He looked absolutely pedestrian.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #918 on: May 29, 2021, 07:58:08 PM »
what's weird is watching doncic hit step back, fade away 35 footers with a hand in his face, but struggle at the free throw line.  yes, i realize it's not uncommon, but just took particular notice last night.  he sure ain't shy though
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #919 on: May 29, 2021, 08:07:20 PM »

bam, Butler, and Dragic were awful.

But the Bucks were gonna win this series. They are a much better team coming together at the perfect time. Many thought all year that they would be playing their best ball at this time of year.

Giannis, Kris, Brooks, Dante, and Connaughton. That's it from last year - everyone else was new to the team and the system. The defense slowly got better and better as the season came to a close.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #920 on: May 30, 2021, 08:44:43 AM »
Forbes 60, Butler 58

Agree with Wags that Jimmy at least showed up ... but you're right, baumu, that is an amazing "score" between a guy some have never heard of and an All-Star.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #921 on: May 30, 2021, 08:59:00 AM »
Jimmy had the least impressive playoff triple double I can remember
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #922 on: May 30, 2021, 11:30:55 AM »
Agree with Wags that Jimmy at least showed up ... but you're right, baumu, that is an amazing "score" between a guy some have never heard of and an All-Star.

So did the fans. :-\   Jimmy had as much effect on winning as they did.

Jimmy is my least fave MU player in the NBA. Yeah, he's a top 20-ish guy in the league, but he just isn't a fun guy to watch - at least for me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #923 on: May 30, 2021, 11:35:11 AM »

Jimmy is my least fave MU player in the NBA. Yeah, he's a top 20-ish guy in the league, but he just isn't a fun guy to watch - at least for me.

Why? You didn't have fun watching him dominate in the playoffs last season with a great all-around game? Not criticizing you, just wondering why.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #924 on: May 30, 2021, 11:46:31 AM »
Why? You didn't have fun watching him dominate in the playoffs last season with a great all-around game? Not criticizing you, just wondering why.

Plays incredibly hard, plays great defense, true leader and motivator, talks trash but backs it up.   Agreed, kind of odd.  His development as a pro is one of my all time favorite Marquette NBA stories to watch