[Today at 12:54:39 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by tower912
[May 13, 2024, 08:47:10 PM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by Shooter McGavin
[May 13, 2024, 08:40:15 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2020-21  (Read 188249 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: NBA Thread 2020-21
« Reply #850 on: May 27, 2021, 04:20:20 PM »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #851 on: May 27, 2021, 05:07:45 PM »
I have no issue with a disorderly conduct citation.  “Criminal charges” felt more like assault or battery.  Battery feels like a VERY liberal reading of that statute.  If someone pursued a battery charge against someone that tossed a cup of water at them in an argument at a restaurant, we’d all deem it absurd.  Might as well slap it on the next person who throws a paper airplane that lands near an opposing bench. Insulting and provoking behavior if I say so myself.

If someone walks into a restaurant and tosses a cup of water at an employee that they don’t even know and with whom they had no interaction - then yes they should be charged.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #852 on: May 27, 2021, 05:13:16 PM »

I always got the impression D Rose is not very bright and had a severe lack of self awareness and perception.
I don’t know about this. He did crush his SATs!

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #853 on: May 27, 2021, 07:16:10 PM »
I don’t know about this. He did crush his SATs!

Well done, sir.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #854 on: May 27, 2021, 08:33:19 PM »
The Bucks are bludgeoning the Heat.  What in the world happened to that Miami team?  Was it all smoke and mirrors in the bubble?  Bam is not playing like a Bam level player, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 08:37:18 PM by MuggsyB »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #855 on: May 27, 2021, 08:58:05 PM »
The Bucks are bludgeoning the Heat.  What in the world happened to that Miami team?  Was it all smoke and mirrors in the bubble?  Bam is not playing like a Bam level player, that's for sure.

A combination of the Bubble, and social unrest as a distraction.

They really shouldn't have had an NBA championship last year in my opinion. I don't think those games were remotely the same.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #856 on: May 27, 2021, 09:03:41 PM »

They really shouldn't have had an NBA championship last year in my opinion. I don't think those games were remotely the same.

Agreed.

Asterisk season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #857 on: May 27, 2021, 09:40:07 PM »
Yeah butt, da Bucks are Giannis, Jrue, and a bunch of smoes, hey?

Smoe 22, The Great Tyler Herro 9

Smoe 3, TGTH 0
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #858 on: May 27, 2021, 09:44:08 PM »
I think the Bucks can beat Brooklyn.  Although no one seems to think they have a chance.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #859 on: May 27, 2021, 09:45:20 PM »

Didn’t all the playoff teams play in the same bubble? Or did the Lakers and Heat benefit from some kind of Super Premium Double Platinum Bubble?

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #860 on: May 27, 2021, 10:00:13 PM »
Didn’t all the playoff teams play in the same bubble? Or did the Lakers and Heat benefit from some kind of Super Premium Double Platinum Bubble?
Some teams clearly had no desire to be there.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #861 on: May 27, 2021, 10:05:32 PM »
Losing Jae hurt the Heat
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #862 on: May 27, 2021, 10:47:28 PM »
Losing Jae hurt the Heat

Actually, you are right. At least on the defensive end. The Bucks changed their offense from the series last year. The Heat have no one - Robinson, Nunn, Herro, etc. who can handle Holiday and Middleton. Giannis is setting more picks and letting those two do whatever they want.

I expected a game 2 blowout. This one surprised me. I thought the heat had more heart.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #863 on: May 27, 2021, 11:09:25 PM »

If true, that’s on them. It doesn’t diminish what the teams that wanted to be there accomplished.

Hell, it looked like the Heat didn’t want to be in Miami tonight.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #864 on: May 28, 2021, 06:39:01 AM »

The Lakers won the championship
Lebron is on the Lakers
Therefore the championship doesn't count
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #865 on: May 28, 2021, 07:28:00 AM »

Couple thoughts.

First, the Bam max extension is going to go down as a very poor decision by the Heat.  I just don't see how you can give that kind of money to a guy who is that limited offensively.

Second, I think being in the bubble actually helped Tyler Herro because it limited the distractions that we hear have been a problem for him previously.  He hasn't look great all year, but has absolutely looked run of the mill in this series.

Third, we will see how they do against the Nets, but I really love how Bud has worked their rotations in this series.  And while Giannis is their best player, there have been times were both him and Middleton have been on the bench and the game just works around Jrue.  Such an upgrade over Bledsoe. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #866 on: May 28, 2021, 08:00:07 AM »
Couple thoughts.

First, the Bam max extension is going to go down as a very poor decision by the Heat.  I just don't see how you can give that kind of money to a guy who is that limited offensively.

Second, I think being in the bubble actually helped Tyler Herro because it limited the distractions that we hear have been a problem for him previously.  He hasn't look great all year, but has absolutely looked run of the mill in this series.

Third, we will see how they do against the Nets, but I really love how Bud has worked their rotations in this series.  And while Giannis is their best player, there have been times were both him and Middleton have been on the bench and the game just works around Jrue.  Such an upgrade over Bledsoe.

Yup on this series.  Bud has actually coached circles around Spoe.  PJ Tucker has brought a lot more to the Bucks than I thought he would.  Having him and Giannis chasing around Nunn, Robinson, and Herro for much of their time on the court has completely taken those three out of the series (outside of game 1 for Duncan, when Middleton was on him a lot).  Those three were so comfortable last year.  That's a huge difference maker this year.  Then having Jrue absolutely hounding Dragic the entire court has really frustrated Dragic.  He was very comfortable last year as well.  And having Giannis guard Jimmy much of the series when he didn't guard Jimmy at all last year has made Jimmy basically disappear.

The versatility defensively is huge this year.  And Bud has done a great job in scheming things I never saw coming, particularly the two forwards (PJ/Giannis) chasing around their guards a good amount of time.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #867 on: May 28, 2021, 08:10:09 AM »

Which ones?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #868 on: May 28, 2021, 08:17:41 AM »
The Lakers won the championship
Lebron is on the Lakers
Therefore the championship doesn't count

Yeah, the Hate All Things LeBron Team, captained by forgetful, is fun (albeit predictable).

LeBron scores 40? "He doesn't make his teammates better."

LeBron gets 20 assists? "He couldn't score."

LeBron hits winning 3 over Steph? "So effen lucky ... and Caldwell-Pope traveled!"

LeBron wins 2020 NBA title? "In bubble. Doesn't count."

LeBron wins 4 NBA titles? "He did it with superteams."

LeBron still a stud in his 18th NBA season? "18 years of flopping and fake-reading!"

Fun!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #869 on: May 28, 2021, 09:58:30 AM »
Yeah, the Hate All Things LeBron Team, captained by forgetful, is fun (albeit predictable).

LeBron scores 40? "He doesn't make his teammates better."

LeBron gets 20 assists? "He couldn't score."

LeBron hits winning 3 over Steph? "So effen lucky ... and Caldwell-Pope traveled!"

LeBron wins 2020 NBA title? "In bubble. Doesn't count."

LeBron wins 4 NBA titles? "He did it with superteams."

LeBron still a stud in his 18th NBA season? "18 years of flopping and fake-reading!"

Fun!

Don't blame people for hating the guy,.  He's responsible for 95% of it.  And yes, people that fake read for a photo-op should be mocked relentlessly and mercilessly.  And it is quite enjoyable to mock "The King" to tell you the truth.  I mean who does this guy think he is?  Or is this fake book reading some surrealist wizardry a la Magritte's "This is not a pipe"?  Will LeGritte come out to a presser  with War and Peace and  a sign that reads:  "This is not a book"? 

• All American
« Reply #870 on: May 28, 2021, 10:09:17 AM »
Don't blame people for hating the guy,.  He's responsible for 95% of it.  And yes, people that fake read for a photo-op should be mocked relentlessly and mercilessly.  And it is quite enjoyable to mock "The King" to tell you the truth.  I mean who does this guy think he is?  Or is this fake book reading some surrealist wizardry a la Magritte's "This is not a pipe"?  Will LeGritte come out to a presser  with War and Peace and  a sign that reads:  "This is not a book"? 

I don't care if you hate the guy or are (REALLY) obsessed with his reading habits, but I grow weary of people diminishing his accomplishments on the basketball court. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #871 on: May 28, 2021, 10:42:37 AM »

I don't care if you hate the guy or are (REALLY) obsessed with his reading habits, but I grow weary of people diminishing his accomplishments on the basketball court.

That's fair.  His basketball accomplishments should not be diminished.  As for his fake reading it's certainly not the worst thing he's done off the court but it's easy to mock and shouldn't be glossed over.  It's indicative of far greater problems this man has, mainly that he's a pathological liar. 

If you remember Coach K  got caught red-handed when he completely fabricated a story about Dillon Brooks.  He felt he had to apologize in this case because a person was involved with his deceit and absurd statements.  LeBron has close.to 50 m Twitter followers. When he says or writes asinine things, or fake reads to project a certain narrative, it's offensive frankly.

I can be a little obsessive but I believe fake reading is a symptom of a deeply troubled human being.  In fact Lebron should thank the many basketball fans who have pointed this out and seek a medical professional.  Fake Readers are textbook pathological liars FBM.  This is a guy who probably has no idea where his lies begin and end so perhaps I should be more sympathetic.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 10:44:19 AM by MuggsyB »

• All American
« Reply #872 on: May 28, 2021, 10:51:17 AM »
I care very little about what any athlete does off the field of play unless it is either really, really bad or really, really good.  They are just people doing a job for a lot of money. 

So yeah, I can gloss over what he does off the court, and not find it offensive in the least, because I legitimately don't care.  I have other things in my life to obsess about.  What some basketball player does while not playing isn't going to be one of them.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #873 on: May 28, 2021, 10:56:11 AM »

OCD or crazy? Tough decision.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #874 on: May 28, 2021, 12:01:15 PM »
If you remember Coach K  got caught red-handed when he completely fabricated a story about Dillon Brooks.  He felt he had to apologize in this case because a person was involved with his deceit and absurd statements.  LeBron has close.to 50 m Twitter followers. When he says or writes asinine things, or fake reads to project a certain narrative, it's offensive frankly.

An NBA player fake reading truly is the great challenge of our times. But like the Greatest Generation, we too shall rise to the occasion.