[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 332075 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #3225 on: January 06, 2024, 08:21:14 AM »
That's one possibility.

On the other hand, those same six ACC teams you mention would probably make a play to add Villanova, St. Johns, Georgetown, UConn, Seton Hall and Providence.  It would make a very attractive 12-team reformulated version of the legacy Big East (with the bonus of adding Duke, Wake and Georgia Tech).  And the departing teams would probably purchase the Big East name from the Midwest Five, just as the C7 did after leaving.

That leaves MU, Creighton, Xavier, Butler and DePaul to fill out the conference with Loyola, St. Louis, Dayton, Gonzaga and St. Thomas.  And still dreaming about Gonzaga.

Lol. No.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #3226 on: January 06, 2024, 08:38:31 AM »

the guy posts the most vanilla soft serves here and ya gotta piss on this fire hydrant too?  shocker!

yes...reeeko's been here too.  pick your target, freeze it, personalize it and polarize it...hmmmm

🙄

Goal is National Championship

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #3227 on: January 06, 2024, 09:22:07 AM »
With regard to MU making the 2020 tournament, I think we could all agree that there was no way we were going to win a game in it.  So Wojo would’ve gone to three tournaments in seven years with zero wins.  End of story.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3228 on: January 06, 2024, 10:02:27 AM »
With regard to MU making the 2020 tournament, I think we could all agree that there was no way we were going to win a game in it.  So Wojo would’ve gone to three tournaments in seven years with zero wins.  End of story.

We would we agree to that?

Anyway it was four years and one coach ago. Who gives a rip?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3229 on: January 06, 2024, 10:04:44 AM »
If the team is in the tournament, there is a chance.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3230 on: January 06, 2024, 10:09:51 AM »

We would we agree to that?

Anyway it was four years and one coach ago. Who gives a rip?

Exactly. I wouldn't agree to it when we had Markus Howard, who still had the ability to go off against anyone for 40 on a given night and Marquette was 7-0 when he did so. We were going to be playing someone in a 7/10 or 8/9 game, so there's every chance we could've gone to the second round.

But I'm far more interested in where this team will end up than a tournament that never happened.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3231 on: January 06, 2024, 10:11:00 AM »
Exactly. I wouldn't agree to it when we had Markus Howard, who still had the ability to go off against anyone for 40 on a given night and Marquette was 7-0 when he did so. We were going to be playing someone in a 7/10 or 8/9 game, so there's every chance we could've gone to the second round.

But I'm far more interested in where this team will end up than a tournament that never happened.

Strong disagree but you were a slurper like TAMU
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3232 on: January 06, 2024, 10:21:17 AM »
Strong disagree but you were a slurper like TAMU

Everyone thinks the Wojo thing to do would've been to lose in the first round, but the real Wojo thing would've been to win in the first round, upset a 1-seed in the second (Dayton was ripe for the picking), then give up a lead and collapse against a 13-seed in the Sweet 16, but guarantee a big contract extension as his bell cow Howard goes out the door.

We're probably lucky 2020 didn't happen.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3233 on: January 08, 2024, 09:29:23 AM »
That's one possibility.

On the other hand, those same six ACC teams you mention would probably make a play to add Villanova, St. Johns, Georgetown, UConn, Seton Hall and Providence.  It would make a very attractive 12-team reformulated version of the legacy Big East (with the bonus of adding Duke, Wake and Georgia Tech).  And the departing teams would probably purchase the Big East name from the Midwest Five, just as the C7 did after leaving.

That leaves MU, Creighton, Xavier, Butler and DePaul to fill out the conference with Loyola, St. Louis, Dayton, Gonzaga and St. Thomas.  And still dreaming about Gonzaga.

Anything can happen. So who knows. But I doubt there will be enough ACC leftovers to rebuild the conference from that core. As said before, Clemson, Florida State and Miami to the SEC. I could see UNC and Virginia (and possibly Duke) to the Big 10. Louisville, Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech to the Big 12. The leftovers will have to find a new home. Wake Forest, Boston College, Syracuse and Pitt are not going to be in a position to dictate terms to the Big East teams.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3234 on: January 08, 2024, 09:33:22 AM »
Everyone thinks the Wojo thing to do would've been to lose in the first round, but the real Wojo thing would've been to win in the first round, upset a 1-seed in the second (Dayton was ripe for the picking), then give up a lead and collapse against a 13-seed in the Sweet 16, but guarantee a big contract extension as his bell cow Howard goes out the door.

Oh God, you're right.

• All American
« Reply #3235 on: February 26, 2024, 01:53:53 PM »
UMass dropping out of the A10 to join the MAC for all sports. They decided they needed a football conference with the new college football playoff, and apparently weren't concerned enough with what it would do to their basketball program.

Wonder what conversations may be happening in Storrs.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3236 on: February 26, 2024, 01:59:36 PM »
UMass dropping out of the A10 to join the MAC for all sports. They decided they needed a football conference with the new college football playoff, and apparently weren't concerned enough with what it would do to their basketball program.

The Hurley sniffing around other jobs could be a prelude to UConn and the Big XII.  I think he’s pretty clear in his thinking for basketball purposes, being in the Big East matters for UConn.  Or it could be nothing

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #3237 on: February 26, 2024, 02:05:51 PM »

I think Wojo gets the Duke job in that scenario, but who knows how the timing would have lined up with Shaka. I always thought the Duke job was Wojo’s if he didn’t screw up too bad.

• All American
« Reply #3238 on: February 26, 2024, 02:10:35 PM »
The Hurley sniffing around other jobs could be a prelude to UConn and the Big XII.  I think he’s pretty clear in his thinking for basketball purposes, being in the Big East matters for UConn.  Or it could be nothing

With this move, there are two remaining football independents - Notre Dame and UConn.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3239 on: February 26, 2024, 02:16:56 PM »

With this move, there are two remaining football independents - Notre Dame and UConn.

Hard to compare UMass and UConn, given UConn’s success in sports outside football.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #3240 on: February 26, 2024, 02:32:57 PM »

I'm missing your angle as to what conversations might be taking place in Storrs ( other than UCONN's 24/7/365 delusion that their football team belongs in the Big 12).

Elucidate please.

• All American
« Reply #3241 on: February 26, 2024, 02:40:34 PM »
I'm missing your angle as to what conversations might be taking place in Storrs ( other than UCONN's 24/7/365 delusion that their football team belongs in the Big 12).

Elucidate please.

Sure. There is likely no room for non-ND college football independents in this new College Football Playoff, and my guess is that a lot of the bowls that would be a good consolation prize are going to end up drying up.

UMass made the decision that sticking with football, and moving to a lesser basketball conference, was the smart decision in this scenario.

Is UConn thinking similarly? Would they make a stronger pitch to join the B12?  Or would they reapproach the AAC (or CUSA) with a football affiliate membership?

One thing I don't have window to is UConn's football media deal.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3242 on: February 26, 2024, 02:50:24 PM »

I for one am looking forward to the first Central Michigan UMass football game.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #3243 on: February 26, 2024, 03:40:05 PM »

Sure. There is likely no room for non-ND college football independents in this new College Football Playoff, and my guess is that a lot of the bowls that would be a good consolation prize are going to end up drying up.

UMass made the decision that sticking with football, and moving to a lesser basketball conference, was the smart decision in this scenario.

Is UConn thinking similarly? Would they make a stronger pitch to join the B12?  Or would they reapproach the AAC (or CUSA) with a football affiliate membership?

Sounds solid to me. Thanks.

Reminds me of a remark made to me 11-12 years ago when the Big East was breaking up ( " gee, it's gotta be the worst being D-1 in basketball and not having a D-1football team" ( made with the knowledge that I was a longstanding Marquette fan)). My response was " no, the worst is having a D-1 basketball program and a rotten D-1 football program, and deluding yourself into believing that you are in the same football fraternity as the Alabamas and Ohio States of the football world. And enslaving your entire Athletic Department to the pursuit of football money. Like a dog chasing his tail." That's the worst.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3244 on: February 26, 2024, 04:08:58 PM »

Sultan,
UConn has a TV football deal with CBS Sports Network that pays $500,000 per year.  They televise (4) home games.  It just ended after the current season and from what I read they are still negotiating with CBS Sports again.

Other than winning a national championship in hockey recently I don't think UMass has had good luck with any of it's sports teams.  Which is the exact opposite of UConn.

• All American
« Reply #3245 on: February 26, 2024, 04:12:51 PM »
Sultan,
UConn has a TV football deal with CBS Sports Network that pays $500,000 per year.  They televise (4) home games.  It just ended after the current season and from what I read they are still negotiating with CBS Sports again.

Other than winning a national championship in hockey recently I don't think UMass has had good luck with any of it's sports teams.  Which is the exact opposite of UConn.

Reeko made that point as well, and its a good one. UMass jumping to the MAC for the sake of football makes sense since they haven't had A10 success. UConn doing something similar, and perhaps harming its marquee program in the process, is probably not a smart idea.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3246 on: March 19, 2024, 10:47:00 AM »
Clemson reportedly suing to get out of the ACC.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #3247 on: March 19, 2024, 10:55:44 AM »
Sultan,

One of the advantages of being a private school is that your board can make decisions without pressure from state legislators. It's been quite a few years now, but VCU fought hard to NOT get into football. There was heavy pressure from politicians who didn't care whether or not VCU wanted to have FB. They wanted a Richmond FB team, and little U of Richmond's was not good enough for them.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3248 on: March 19, 2024, 11:07:48 AM »
Clemson reportedly suing to get out of the ACC.

ACC is cooked.  FSU and Clemson desperate to leave.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3249 on: March 19, 2024, 11:55:32 AM »
ACC is cooked.  FSU and Clemson desperate to leave.

Yup.  I’d say o/u on implosion is 1.5 years.  Just a matter of who the Big Ten takes.  I’d say UNC and Virginia are locks and at least 1 of the Florida schools.

SEC has some issues with current members probably not thrilled with adding intrastate rivals but probably don’t have a choice

feedback