[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 331994 times)

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #3175 on: October 27, 2023, 04:35:38 PM »
This post is factually incorrect. Again, similar to before, you have a tendency to make things up and you offer zero evidence to support it.

Please explain why it makes sense for the Big East to add VCU. So far all I've understood you to say is that, if you squint enough, VCU kinda looks like Butler or Creighton circa 2013 and why not add them because DePaul and SJU suck anyway.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3176 on: October 27, 2023, 04:49:45 PM »
Please explain why it makes sense for the Big East to add VCU. So far all I've understood you to say is that, if you squint enough, VCU kinda looks like Butler or Creighton circa 2013 and why not add them because DePaul and SJU suck anyway.

Go back to your initial post and my initial reply. But the problem is you still won’t understand because you still haven’t to this point.

Other people are trying to help you out with recent replies. They are exercising their right to be insecurely snobby and dismissive. I’m gonna  go ahead and be Charlie Dalton and exercise my right not to walk, when he was asked by John Keating why he wasn’t participating.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3177 on: October 27, 2023, 04:58:17 PM »
Can I get some support for Virginia Union? Good enough for Charles Oakley, good enough for me.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #3178 on: October 27, 2023, 05:42:25 PM »
Go back to your initial post and my initial reply. But the problem is you still won’t understand because you still haven’t to this point.

Other people are trying to help you out with recent replies. They are exercising their right to be insecurely snobby and dismissive. I’m gonna  go ahead and be Charlie Dalton and exercise my right not to walk, when he was asked by John Keating why he wasn’t participating.

So at bottom, you object to Marquette fans thumbing their noses at VCU for expansion but don't actually think it makes sense for the Big East to add VCU? That is a weird perspective but okay.

As for the A10 not being a "big boy" league, the reality is that the A10 was a one-bid conference last year. The Big East has never been and never will be a one-bid conference.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #3179 on: October 27, 2023, 06:15:30 PM »
Can I get some support for Virginia Union? Good enough for Charles Oakley, good enough for me.

Virginia Union is also in Richmond, so my drive time is still 2 hours. If you can go with Liberty University in Lynchburg in lieu of VU, count me in. They are both religious schools (Baptist, though), so there's that.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 06:20:49 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3180 on: October 27, 2023, 06:30:31 PM »
So at bottom, you object to Marquette fans thumbing their noses at VCU for expansion but don't actually think it makes sense for the Big East to add VCU? That is a weird perspective but okay.

As for the A10 not being a "big boy" league, the reality is that the A10 was a one-bid conference last year. The Big East has never been and never will be a one-bid conference.

Multiple people have posted so it’s challenging to keep track.

You initially said VCU needed to focus on winning more games to be invited to a Big Boy League. I pointed out that VCU has made the same number of NCAA Tourneys as MUBB in the past 20 years. And I pointed out that MUBB made 2 of 8 NCAA Tourneys prior to the Big East. You, not me, made the parameters to be win more games.

You then said VCU has one Sweet 16 in their history. I pointed out that Shaka Smart the Head Coach of the Marquette University Basketball Team also only has one Sweet 16 in his 14 year Head Coaching history. I was okay with Marquette hiring One Sweet 16 Shaka. Were you okay with Marquette hiring One Sweet 16 Shaka? You then said in retrospect that adding Butler was questionable. You then said VCU would be bottom feeders in the Big East. Others disagreed with you.

You then randomly mentioned Duquesne and DePaul saying Duquesne wasn’t on DePaul’s level. It was pointed out to you that their level was pretty similar the past decade. The point is you just throw random things out there and the reality of some of those things mighy not be what you say or think.

You then finally got to the point. For you, all of this is about some internet message board poster of some time in your past that upset you because they wanted their team to be in the Big East. Really? Really? Hoo boy. And this paragraph is really the only one that matters.

Then you compared Wojo at Marquette to Shaka at VCU. It was pointed out to you that Shaka made 5 out of 6 NCAA Tourneys, which yes was good reason to keep Shaka at VCU. And by comparison Wojo had made just 2 NCAA Tourneys in 7 seasons at MUBB. Do you now see how those two sets of results are different and why one set would be more valued than another? I’m confident that if Shaka made 5 of 6 NCAA Tourneys at MUBB he would still be the coach with or without a Sweet 16 in those years. MUBB kept Wojo 7 seasons, only 2 NCAA tourneys and zero wins.

You then said 275 teams would be better if they were in the Big East.

You then said the reason college athletics are popular are for bragging rights and to rub your superiority in the faces of those beneath you. That is why college basketball is fun for you. It may or may not be a surprise to you that I enjoy MUBB and college basketball without the need, nor interest, in any of that.

Then you said you would not treat elite mid majors as a peer.

You then said you are not obtuse. I’m gonna have to disagree with you there, at least with this thread.

You then said that you don’t provide evidence to support your claims because my posts are dumb and don’t merit a response. Gee I don’t know, these seem to be a lot of replies. No facts or evidence or data, but lots of replies.

You then called VCU Butler Lite.

You then (incorrectly) said I was defending the honor of VCU on a Marquette message board Heavens to Betsy. (Ok I added the Heavens to Betsy part).

You then said I didn’t have a point and that I said Marquette fans were bad. (I didn’t say Marquette fans were bad.)

You then posted 3 or 4 more times asking me why I think Marquette should add VCU. (I never even said either way in the first place)

You then said for the 2nd or 3rd time that the Big East is a Big Boy League and the A10 is not. (I never said whether or not either was a Big Boy League)

You also mentioned rubbing your nose a few more times.

I think that covers it. Good luck to you.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2023, 06:47:06 PM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3181 on: October 27, 2023, 06:50:11 PM »
TV networks will have a major say in any decision, but the Big East doesn't "need" to add anybody.

Personally, the only schools I'd want to add would be Gonzaga and Notre Dame, assuming something like Duke leaving the ACC doesn't happen (and why would it?).

If the likes of VCU or St. Louis come in, it won't affect my enjoyment watching Marquette basketball, but I don't think it would really help the league. Or hurt the league, either.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3182 on: October 27, 2023, 06:57:05 PM »

And by comparison Wojo had made just 2 NCAA Tourneys in 7 seasons at MUBB. Do you now see how those two sets of results are different and why one set would be more valued than another? I’m confident that if Shaka made 5 of 6 NCAA Tourneys at MUBB he would still be the coach with or without a Sweet 16 in those years. MUBB kept Wojo 7 seasons, only 2 NCAA tourneys and zero wins.

You should be saying 2/6 given 2020 never happened itd be like saying "the packers never won the Super Bowl before 1967!!!" Well yeah it wasn't possible.
Maigh Eo for Sam

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #3183 on: October 27, 2023, 08:10:58 PM »
Shoot, it is very clear you don’t have a point, you just like claiming superiority. Which is more than a little ironic.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #3184 on: October 27, 2023, 09:44:06 PM »
TV networks will have a major say in any decision, but the Big East doesn't "need" to add anybody.

Personally, the only schools I'd want to add would be Gonzaga and Notre Dame, assuming something like Duke leaving the ACC doesn't happen (and why would it?).

If the likes of VCU or St. Louis come in, it won't affect my enjoyment watching Marquette basketball, but I don't think it would really help the league. Or hurt the league, either.
Duke, ND, Gonzaga, for sure. No A-10 teams light my fire.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3185 on: October 27, 2023, 11:23:36 PM »
You should be saying 2/6 given 2020 never happened itd be like saying "the packers never won the Super Bowl before 1967!!!" Well yeah it wasn't possible.

It counts because MUBB was not in position to make the tourney in 2020.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3186 on: October 27, 2023, 11:28:34 PM »

Fair enough. I am also interested to see what would happen if the Big East doesn’t get the tv offer it wants and expects.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #3187 on: October 27, 2023, 11:44:47 PM »
This thread moved 4 pages since I last checked.

Do I need to read it or nah?

Smash or pass?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3188 on: October 27, 2023, 11:47:29 PM »
It counts because MUBB was not in position to make the tourney in 2020.

They would have gotten in had the tournament not been cancelled. Probably a 10 seed.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #3189 on: October 28, 2023, 12:28:47 AM »
This thread moved 4 pages since I last checked.

Do I need to read it or nah?

Smash or pass?

Pass.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #3190 on: October 28, 2023, 12:36:28 AM »
They would have gotten in had the tournament not been cancelled. Probably a 10 seed.

8-10 league record. I don’t know.

Either way that one year doesn’t really change the point of why it was mentioned in the discussion.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3191 on: October 28, 2023, 05:55:24 AM »
You can certainly debate the relevance of it, but Marquette was an absolute stone cold lock to make the 2020 NCAA Tournament. It wouldn't have been the seed they wanted, but they were not at any risk of missing out.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3192 on: October 28, 2023, 06:20:20 AM »
You can certainly debate the relevance of it, but Marquette was an absolute stone cold lock to make the 2020 NCAA Tournament. It wouldn't have been the seed they wanted, but they were not at any risk of missing out.

Yep.  Here is the last Bracket Matrix from 2020.  They were on 97 of 97 brackets and slotted as a nine seed.

http://bracketmatrix.com/matrix_2020.html
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #3193 on: October 28, 2023, 07:27:18 AM »
I think we keep our powder dry in the Big East for now. Gonzaga would be nice but do they add anything once Mark Few retires? From a TV perspective probably not.

Val knows. I suspect she is waiting for the ACC to implode. When UNC, Clemson, Miami and Florida State become SEC members and UVA and Notre Dame join the BIG, she will have her pick!

Until then, VCU, Dayton and the rest of the A10 can stay where they belong!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3194 on: October 28, 2023, 07:49:07 AM »
I think we keep our powder dry in the Big East for now. Gonzaga would be nice but do they add anything once Mark Few retires? From a TV perspective probably not.

Val knows. I suspect she is waiting for the ACC to implode. When UNC, Clemson, Miami and Florida State become SEC members and UVA and Notre Dame join the BIG, she will have her pick!

Until then, VCU, Dayton and the rest of the A10 can stay where they belong!

The A10 sucks
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #3195 on: October 28, 2023, 08:03:49 AM »
If the Big East wanted or needed VCU, Dayton or St.Louis as members, they would already be here. And any one of them or all of them can be added with a phone call at any time.

Wait until the football people get to where they want to get to, and then see what opportunities might present themselves.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3196 on: October 28, 2023, 08:08:53 AM »
If the Big East wanted or needed VCU, Dayton or St.Louis as members, they would already be here. And any one of them or all of them can be added with a phone call at any time.

Wait until the football people get to where they want to get to, and then see what opportunities might present themselves.

Very good point.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3197 on: October 28, 2023, 08:14:41 AM »
If the Big East could somehow land St. Thomas, I guess we can accept Gonzaga to balance out the schedule.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3198 on: October 28, 2023, 08:16:05 AM »

That’s not arrogance, that’s fact.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3199 on: October 28, 2023, 08:18:10 AM »

I agree.  Unless media partners suggest we add immediately, waiting is the best option.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback