[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 332070 times)

1SE

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #3050 on: October 12, 2023, 02:42:46 AM »
Thanks to Shaka, I don't have any fear we'd be left behind in a P3 basketball-only move. Had we stuck with Wojo who knows. The Shaka hire might end up being the single best decision MU ever made.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3051 on: October 12, 2023, 07:27:26 AM »
It's not now. But eventually the Power 3 will reach saturation in football. My guess is that they won't be content there and will search for other ways to increase their power and revenue. I could see many ways that this plays out, one of them being expanding in basketball only. I think a basketball conference can take on more teams than football before reaching saturation. No idea if this will come to pass, but I think Yormack is interested in making it happen.

I have been hearing phrases like "reach saturation in football" for years now - maybe even decades.  And if anything, football seems to be driving the bus more and more.  College football viewership is through the roof.  The marginal value that a basketball-only schools going to bring one of these conferences seems so miniscule to me that its not worth the effort.

Right now regular season college basketball has a limited audience. Networks have a ton of inventory. And if the networks want to see the Zags more, its probably just easier to ask Kansas, Duke, etc. to just go schedule them non-conference.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3052 on: October 12, 2023, 07:52:16 AM »

I have been hearing phrases like "reach saturation in football" for years now - maybe even decades.  And if anything, football seems to be driving the bus more and more.  College football viewership is through the roof.  The marginal value that a basketball-only schools going to bring one of these conferences seems so miniscule to me that its not worth the effort.

Right now regular season college basketball has a limited audience. Networks have a ton of inventory. And if the networks want to see the Zags more, its probably just easier to ask Kansas, Duke, etc. to just go schedule them non-conference.
I think (I maybe wrong) the reference to 'saturation point' means number of schools in a conference or P3. That has played out with OSU and WSU being kicked out. Additionally, I believe the writing is on the wall for a number of ACC institutions.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #3053 on: October 12, 2023, 08:03:51 AM »
Eliminating a rival conference, consolidating power, and mostly because ESPN or FOX tells them to.

If the P3 start adding basketball only schools, it will be because it makes sense for them to do so. It doesn't right now, so they haven't. Will that always be the case? I don't know.

Unfortunately, I think your take is spot on. ESPN happily eliminated the original BE and produced "A Requiem for the Big East". It was like a mafioso taking out a rival and then sending a massive amount of flowers to his funeral.

It was not that long ago that scoopers laughed at conference realignment, smugly confident that we were safe and could grab a bag of popcorn and watch it all unfold.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

• All American
« Reply #3054 on: October 12, 2023, 08:08:41 AM »
Unfortunately, I think your take is spot on. ESPN happily eliminated the original BE and produced "A Requiem for the Big East". It was like a mafioso taking out a rival and then sending a massive amount of flowers to his funeral.

It was not that long ago that scoopers laughed at conference realignment, smugly confident that we were safe and could grab a bag of popcorn and watch it all unfold.

They took out the BE because of football though.

I think (I maybe wrong) the reference to 'saturation point' means number of schools in a conference or P3. That has played out with OSU and WSU being kicked out. Additionally, I believe the writing is on the wall for a number of ACC institutions.

Even then, I don't understand the value of adding basketball only schools.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #3055 on: October 12, 2023, 08:09:15 AM »
Thanks to Shaka, I don't have any fear we'd be left behind in a P3 basketball-only move. Had we stuck with Wojo who knows. The Shaka hire might end up being the single best decision MU ever made.

I don't think Shaka has much to do with any of this.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #3056 on: October 12, 2023, 08:12:56 AM »

I hope you are right.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3057 on: October 12, 2023, 08:15:37 AM »
I hope you are right.

Marquette will join the A-10
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #3058 on: October 12, 2023, 08:16:22 AM »
They took out the BE because of football though.

True, and I believe it is also true that, for now, Yormark's bball contract idea is not going anywhere. My point is that this could change. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3059 on: October 12, 2023, 08:48:18 AM »
Marquette will join the A-10

That Dayton yahoo said we'd be rejected by the A-10.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3060 on: October 12, 2023, 08:56:34 AM »
Big 12 wanted to add UConn as a bball member only - this is a non starter for Uconn due to finances. My guess is, at this point, Uconn waits to ACC implosion and gets full membership there.

Yep. UConn will be first in line when one of the P3 raids the ACC. It is what it is. Hopefully that is well after we a sign a lucrative, long-term TV deal.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3061 on: October 12, 2023, 09:16:20 AM »
Even then, I don't understand the value of adding basketball only schools.
I totally agree. I think Yormark is doing his job (well) and exploring all ideas. He is going to throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks. I wouldn't be surprised if Val has had some ideas that once vetted seemed not so good.

In the current landscape both UCONN and Gonzaga to the B12 don't seem like very good ideas.

While UCONN in the BE is great, we all know from actual history, the BE is great without UCONN. 

Viper

• All American
« Reply #3062 on: October 12, 2023, 09:36:50 AM »
the hiring of Al McGuire and Crean getting DWade eligible might rank higher, imo…but I hear ya.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #3063 on: October 12, 2023, 11:50:43 AM »
the hiring of Al McGuire and Crean getting DWade eligible might rank higher, imo…but I hear ya.

Ok but what if we don't get Wade but keep Dameon mason, make the sweet 16 in 03 and make it again in 04?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3064 on: October 12, 2023, 12:15:04 PM »
Ok but what if we don't get Wade but keep Dameon mason, make the sweet 16 in 03 and make it again in 04?

What if Tom Crean built the soccer stadium?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3065 on: October 12, 2023, 05:01:22 PM »
What if Tom Crean built the soccer stadium?
What if Freeway was on Dancing with the Stars?

• All American
« Reply #3066 on: October 12, 2023, 05:08:02 PM »

Still wouldn’t watch.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #3067 on: October 13, 2023, 10:14:12 AM »
It is very clear that conferences will have different tv contracts for football and basketball in the future. That will happen the next time a major conference contract comes up for renewal. It makes too much sense for everyone. The only question is when, not if. The other question is what happens after that becomes reality. Yes, theoretically, it does open up the P3 for basketball-only schools. But, just like those conferences can only handle so many football schools, they can also only handle so many b'ball schools - or so I would think.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3068 on: October 13, 2023, 10:48:35 AM »
It is very clear that conferences will have different tv contracts for football and basketball in the future. That will happen the next time a major conference contract comes up for renewal. It makes too much sense for everyone. The only question is when, not if. The other question is what happens after that becomes reality. Yes, theoretically, it does open up the P3 for basketball-only schools. But, just like those conferences can only handle so many football schools, they can also only handle so many b'ball schools - or so I would think.
Not that I disagree, but if the contract split is, as you suggest, set in stone, what happens to the non-revenue sports that have been forced on networks to get the football/basketball deals?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #3069 on: October 19, 2023, 12:59:39 PM »

Now we're cooking with gas!

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #3070 on: October 25, 2023, 09:18:24 AM »
Sacred Heart, Merrimack to Join Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Next Season
Billy McGuire  October 25, 2023

http://fairfieldmirror.com/sports/sacred-heart-merrimack-to-join-metro-atlantic-athletic-conference-maac-next-season/

Also, it looks like Army football only to the AAC is official.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3071 on: October 25, 2023, 10:57:34 AM »
Sacred Heart, Merrimack to Join Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) Next Season
Billy McGuire  October 25, 2023

http://fairfieldmirror.com/sports/sacred-heart-merrimack-to-join-metro-atlantic-athletic-conference-maac-next-season/

Also, it looks like Army football only to the AAC is official.

Big East V. MAAC Challenge?

• All American
« Reply #3072 on: October 25, 2023, 11:14:06 AM »
So how do you pronounce MAAC?

Assuming that the MAC is "mack," does that mean the MAAC is "make?"  Or do you elongate the a-sound like "Maaaack?"

And if the answer is "just like the MAC," then that's just stupid and they need to rebrand.

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #3073 on: October 25, 2023, 12:43:13 PM »
So how do you pronounce MAAC?

Assuming that the MAC is "mack," does that mean the MAAC is "make?"  Or do you elongate the a-sound like "Maaaack?"

And if the answer is "just like the MAC," then that's just stupid and they need to rebrand.

What a great question. My fiancé was on the swim team at Marist College and they all pronounce the MAAC as "mack", which confuses me to this day being from the midwest and pronouncing MAC the same way.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3074 on: October 25, 2023, 12:52:34 PM »
What a great question. My fiancé was on the swim team at Marist College and they all pronounce the MAAC as "mack", which confuses me to this day being from the midwest and pronouncing MAC the same way.

The Midwestern MAC is MAC Attack or Maction, never just MAC.  So, NE MAAC can be Mack
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.