[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 331779 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #3025 on: October 09, 2023, 11:43:37 AM »
Seth Davis reporting Gonzaga to the Big XII has picked up some steam and may happen as soon as next season.

If it happens, it happens. I would have rather the Big East have picked them up, but I'd also rather the Big XII go after Gonzaga than take UConn from us. 

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #3026 on: October 09, 2023, 11:49:17 AM »
If it happens, it happens. I would have rather the Big East have picked them up, but I'd also rather the Big XII go after Gonzaga than take UConn from us.

I would guess that if the Zags go to B12, that would open the door for Uconn to follow.  Yormark wants to assemble teams for a basketball only TV contract by end of decade.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3027 on: October 09, 2023, 12:49:42 PM »
I would guess that if the Zags go to B12, that would open the door for Uconn to follow.  Yormark wants to assemble teams for a basketball only TV contract by end of decade.

Yup.  Always dominoes falling.  Also, I’m at 50/50 the tournament as we know it is dead sooner than later and the days of non-power schools being invited are over
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3028 on: October 09, 2023, 01:21:35 PM »
They will be diluting the football money if they add UCONN. The Fox deal only pays more for adding existing P5 schools. Seems unlikely to me, but so does Cal and Stanford in the ACC.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3029 on: October 09, 2023, 01:22:46 PM »
They will be diluting the football money if they add UCONN. The Fox deal only pays more for adding existing P5 schools. Seems unlikely to me, but so does Cal and Stanford in the ACC.

I’d put UConn to the Big XII at about 90% likely
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #3030 on: October 09, 2023, 01:51:19 PM »

Yormark has publicly stated during the next round of TV deals, he wants 2 separate contracts: 1 for football and 1 for basketball. This would open the door for schools like Gonzaga and other basketball only schools. In this scenario, there is no diluting of football money.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3031 on: October 09, 2023, 02:05:22 PM »
If UConn and Gonzaga go to the B12, and if the BEast is looking like it's even possibly on shaky ground in the ensuing 5-10 years, I hope we can join several other top BEast hoops schools in whatever basketball-centric thing the B12 would be putting together.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #3032 on: October 09, 2023, 02:07:56 PM »
If UConn and Gonzaga go to the B12, and if the BEast is looking like it's even possibly on shaky ground in the ensuing 5-10 years, I hope we can join several other top BEast hoops schools in whatever basketball-centric thing the B12 would be putting together.

There is also the possibility of the BE merging with the ACC in 10 years or so. Which would be much better geographically sans Stanford and Cal.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3033 on: October 09, 2023, 02:31:57 PM »
Yormark has publicly stated during the next round of TV deals, he wants 2 separate contracts: 1 for football and 1 for basketball. This would open the door for schools like Gonzaga and other basketball only schools. In this scenario, there is no diluting of football money.
Anything is possible 6 years from now.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #3034 on: October 09, 2023, 02:42:57 PM »
Wonder who will be paying increased $$$ - ESPN or Fox or both.  Fox could save money, and hurt ESPN, by just paying Gonzaga to be part of the BE/Fox deal.  Despite the BE currently in ongoing negotiations with Fox, surprised it hasn't been floated.

Gonzaga to the Big East, and UConn to an all-sports league, make a ton of sense from a long-term perspective. We will see.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3035 on: October 11, 2023, 03:43:08 PM »
Four Big East schools play football. They could use more rivals.

Ah, but zero Big East schools play meaningful football.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3036 on: October 11, 2023, 03:49:38 PM »
Wonder who will be paying increased $$$ - ESPN or Fox or both.  Fox could save money, and hurt ESPN, by just paying Gonzaga to be part of the BE/Fox deal.  Despite the BE currently in ongoing negotiations with Fox, surprised it hasn't been floated.

Gonzaga to the Big East, and UConn to an all-sports league, make a ton of sense from a long-term perspective. We will see.

I get the impression from reading Val's interview, that there wasn't much mutual interest in the Zags joining the BE.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3037 on: October 11, 2023, 03:51:15 PM »
I get the impression from reading Val's interview, that there wasn't much mutual interest in the Zags joining the BE.
Saw an article (don't have the link) that multiple B12 presidents said Gonzaga ain't happening.

• All American
« Reply #3038 on: October 11, 2023, 03:55:21 PM »
Saw an article (don't have the link) that multiple B12 presidents said Gonzaga ain't happening.

Yeah honestly I don't understand their commissioners fascination with it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #3039 on: October 11, 2023, 04:07:18 PM »

I saw Matt Norlander tweeting out that it is not happening as well: https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1711764584854393243

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #3040 on: October 11, 2023, 04:09:08 PM »
Norlander also says UCONN is off the table in a different tweet: https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1711770030264778865

Probably good for the pending TV deal.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3041 on: October 11, 2023, 04:12:40 PM »

I'm personally not a fan of Gonzaga to the BE...but at least I can understand why that might appeal to some. Gonzaga has a great MBB program. The BE is a great MBB conference. Gonzaga offers what the BE values most. 

But Gonzaga doesn't offer what the B12 values most. I don't know why B12 would take them. As much as it pains me to say it, UConn to the B12 makes more sense to me than Gonzaga to the B12 -- at least they have football.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 04:15:48 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #3042 on: October 11, 2023, 04:15:22 PM »
I'm personally not a fan of Gonzaga to the BE...but at least I can understand why that might appeal to some. Gonzaga has a great MBB program. The BE is a great MBB conference. Gonzaga offers what the BE values most. 

But Gonzaga doesn't offer what the B12 values most. I don't know why B12 would take them. As much as it pains me to say it, UConn to the B12 makes a lot more sense to me than Gonzaga to the B12.

Big 12 wanted to add UConn as a bball member only - this is a non starter for Uconn due to finances. My guess is, at this point, Uconn waits to ACC implosion and gets full membership there.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3043 on: October 11, 2023, 04:16:29 PM »
Big 12 wanted to add UConn as a bball member only - this is a non starter for Uconn due to finances. My guess is, at this point, Uconn waits to ACC implosion and gets full membership there.

I suspect you're right.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3044 on: October 11, 2023, 05:38:41 PM »

I think Yormack has accepted that the B12 will forever be the "third" power football conference, far behind the B1G/SEC. I think he sees value in cementing the B12's status as the top basketball conference, invest in the conference's strength so to speak.

I have no idea if his idea will work (right now it's not financially feasible without the B12's current members taking a paycut). However, I think he is the biggest threat to the Big East's future. If the P3 start taking basketball only schools....I don't see the BEast surviving.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #3045 on: October 11, 2023, 08:16:12 PM »
I think Yormack has accepted that the B12 will forever be the "third" power football conference, far behind the B1G/SEC. I think he sees value in cementing the B12's status as the top basketball conference, invest in the conference's strength so to speak.

I have no idea if his idea will work (right now it's not financially feasible without the B12's current members taking a paycut). However, I think he is the biggest threat to the Big East's future. If the P3 start taking basketball only schools....I don't see the BEast surviving.

Agreed.  This would be a huge problem for the Big East.  Wouldn’t blame schools that left and would hope MU was one of them.

• All American
« Reply #3046 on: October 11, 2023, 08:18:16 PM »

I just don't think it will be financially feasible.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3047 on: October 11, 2023, 09:58:22 PM »

I just don't think it will be financially feasible.

It's not now. But eventually the Power 3 will reach saturation in football. My guess is that they won't be content there and will search for other ways to increase their power and revenue. I could see many ways that this plays out, one of them being expanding in basketball only. I think a basketball conference can take on more teams than football before reaching saturation. No idea if this will come to pass, but I think Yormack is interested in making it happen.
TAMU

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #3048 on: October 11, 2023, 10:58:36 PM »

We keep going in circles on this point: UConn is excited about the prospect of a full B12 membership; the Big 12 is excited about the prospect of UConn as a basketball-only member. Neither party is excited about the same potential outcome.

We don't have any evidence that jumping to the Big 12 on a non-football deal makes any sense for UConn, financially or otherwise, especially given their exorbitant Big East exit fees. We're all conditioned to assume that any non-P3 school would come running to the SEC/B10/B12, but that logic only holds when an invitee gets a piece of the football pie.

Furthering the same point, I don't see the logic in assuming the Big East is dead if the P3 starts adding basketball-only schools. Are P3 conferences going to pay a premium for the top basketball schools to draw them away from the Big East? Why would that even be appealing for P3 schools; isn't the theoretical motivation that they want to make and keep more money? If a UConn would give them a media deal bump, but they'd have to distribute that extra revenue directly to UConn to lure them in the first place, what's the point of making the add?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 11:11:40 PM by Tyler COLEk »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3049 on: October 11, 2023, 11:36:33 PM »
We keep going in circles on this point: UConn is excited about the prospect of a full B12 membership; the Big 12 is excited about the prospect of UConn as a basketball-only member. Neither party is excited about the same potential outcome.

We don't have any evidence that jumping to the Big 12 on a non-football deal makes any sense for UConn, financially or otherwise, especially given their exorbitant Big East exit fees. We're all conditioned to assume that any non-P3 school would come running to the SEC/B10/B12, but that logic only holds when an invitee gets a piece of the football pie.

Furthering the same point, I don't see the logic in assuming the Big East is dead if the P3 starts adding basketball-only schools. Are P3 conferences going to pay a premium for the top basketball schools to draw them away from the Big East? Why would that even be appealing for P3 schools; isn't the theoretical motivation that they want to make and keep more money? If a UConn would give them a media deal bump, but they'd have to distribute that extra revenue directly to UConn to lure them in the first place, what's the point of making the add?

Eliminating a rival conference, consolidating power, and mostly because ESPN or FOX tells them to.

If the P3 start adding basketball only schools, it will be because it makes sense for them to do so. It doesn't right now, so they haven't. Will that always be the case? I don't know.
TAMU

feedback