[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 331778 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #3000 on: September 11, 2023, 04:43:18 PM »
The NCAA hasn't had the best 64 teams in the country in its tournament for years.

Unless there are some teams in the bottom of the Ivy left out, or we're rallying for a Bellarmine or St. Thomas transitioning team, I disagree with this. The conference tournament means every team has a chance to play their way in. Sure, maybe an NIT-winning North Texas could say "we belonged there" but they had their chance in the C-USA tournament. The same goes for everyone but a few teams in the Ivy League and teams that are not eligible.

Yes, some teams get a second chance in the form of an at-large bid, but everyone that plays in an auto-bid tournament is effectively "in the NCAA tournament" because they are guaranteed a spot as long as they keep winning.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3001 on: September 14, 2023, 05:25:21 PM »
Judge grants temporary restraining order in favor of Washington State and Oregon State in their suit against Pac-12. Allows time to determine who will control Pac-12 future

My guess is Washington State and Oregon State will prevail , which will lead to a reverse merger with Mountain West being absorbed by Pac-12

https://apnews.com/article/oregon-state-washington-state-kliavkoff-pac12-34acf803402e3c5bf99d16d7ee398c67

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #3002 on: September 14, 2023, 07:08:13 PM »
Judge grants temporary restraining order in favor of Washington State and Oregon State in their suit against Pac-12. Allows time to determine who will control Pac-12 future

My guess is Washington State and Oregon State will prevail , which will lead to a reverse merger with Mountain West being absorbed by Pac-12

https://apnews.com/article/oregon-state-washington-state-kliavkoff-pac12-34acf803402e3c5bf99d16d7ee398c67

One of the judge’s criteria in granting a temporary injunction is “likelihood of success on the merits.” Significant both from an ultimate determination standpoint and gives the 2 schools significant negotiating advantage.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #3003 on: September 14, 2023, 07:10:35 PM »
The departing schools don’t have a leg to stand on legally. The least they could do was to leave OSU and WSU in peace; instead they decided to make another money grab with no basis.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3004 on: September 14, 2023, 07:32:44 PM »
The departing schools don’t have a leg to stand on legally. The least they could do was to leave OSU and WSU in peace; instead they decided to make another money grab with no basis.
7 of the departing schools told CU that had no voting rights after CU announced their departure. Should be interesting how they explain the change of mind.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #3005 on: September 14, 2023, 11:31:35 PM »
7 of the departing schools told CU that had no voting rights after CU announced their departure. Should be interesting how they explain the change of mind.

They also haven’t let UCLA and USC vote on anything for the past year.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #3006 on: September 15, 2023, 05:41:17 AM »
That's already built in. 48 teams get a bye to Thursday/Friday. If you don't want to watch Tuesday/Wednesday, you don't have to, and you still get a better product when the field is narrowed to 64.

I remember when the field was 24.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3007 on: September 15, 2023, 09:16:39 AM »

The Departed are just trying to force a settlement.  I am glad the NCAA's mission is all about "supporting amateur athletics"! 🤷

Time to tax the golden goose!

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3008 on: September 15, 2023, 11:56:11 AM »
The Departed are just trying to force a settlement.  I am glad the NCAA's mission is all about "supporting amateur athletics"! 🤷

I'm normally not a more tax guy, but the fact that that this money is not taxed at some reasonable level is insane and is unfair to US taxpayers and all citizens. Add to it that most of the beneficiaries are tax funded institutions.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3009 on: September 15, 2023, 12:05:36 PM »
I'm normally not a more tax guy, but the fact that that this money is not taxed at some reasonable level is insane and is unfair to US taxpayers and all citizens. Add to it that most of the beneficiaries are tax funded institutions.

Exactly, the B1G TV network is taxed on the media it buys but it funnels profits into the conference as an entity (not talking individual schools).

From the IRS:

Like the NCAA under which it is organized, the conference qualifies as a charitable organization because, in the words of the IRS, it “fosters national or international amateur sports competition.”

With NIL, there is nothing "amateur" about college athletics any more. Tax them.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #3010 on: September 15, 2023, 12:28:46 PM »

It’s usually necessary to have a plausible legal argument to get a settlement.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3011 on: September 15, 2023, 03:00:12 PM »
With NIL, there is nothing "amateur" about college athletics any more. Tax them.
NIL became a sham about 10 minutes after enacted. Yes, some athletes have legitimate deals capitalizing in actual NIL but the vast majority of "NIL" money is pure Pay for Play and recruiting enticements; just like all pro sports. Good for the players.

Time to end the sham and treat major college football and basketball like the NFL and NBA. Big TV deals, paid players, taxes.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3012 on: September 16, 2023, 03:45:54 PM »
Watching UConn football. They are getting handled easily by Florida……International University. Them in the Big 12? Please, gimme a break.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #3013 on: September 16, 2023, 04:36:35 PM »
Watching UConn football. They are getting handled easily by Florida……International University. Them in the Big 12? Please, gimme a break.

Why are you intentionally watching UConn football?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3014 on: September 16, 2023, 04:44:58 PM »

Fair question.
Friend’s kid plays for FIU.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3015 on: September 16, 2023, 06:14:29 PM »
Big East football day for me. Watching Villanova UCF, as my daughter goes to UCF.
UCF with a backup QB is up 17-0 in the first quarter.
People that want Marquette to have a football team really needs to watch some Big East football. Yikes.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3016 on: September 16, 2023, 08:54:24 PM »
Big East football day for me. Watching Villanova UCF, as my daughter goes to UCF.
UCF with a backup QB is up 17-0 in the first quarter.
People that want Marquette to have a football team really needs to watch some Big East football. Yikes.
Sorry, I'm not tracking you. Villanova was the #8 team 2 years ago.  Certainly no NDSU but respectable.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3017 on: September 16, 2023, 09:18:30 PM »
Sorry, I'm not tracking you. Villanova was the #8 team 2 years ago.  Certainly no NDSU but respectable.

Number 8 in tier two. The football I saw today looked like high school level from Nova. And it looked like D2 football from UConn most of the day.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3018 on: September 16, 2023, 09:49:01 PM »
Number 8 in tier two. The football I saw today looked like high school level from Nova. And it looked like D2 football from UConn most of the day.
I agree with this analysis
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3019 on: September 16, 2023, 10:52:08 PM »
Big XII v FCS as a data point?

I agree MU should not go into football.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #3020 on: September 18, 2023, 06:42:39 PM »

I had it on of one of my 8 multiview screens. Hoping they lose.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #3021 on: September 18, 2023, 07:43:43 PM »
Since announcing the move to the ACC, SMU has only raised $100 million in the past 7 days.

Makes you wonder if they like football in Texas.

Seriously, MU has no business playing in that world for football. Other than size and private Catholic/Christian affiliation of SMU and TCU, MU does not compare to schools like that.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 07:52:29 PM by WhiteTrash »

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3022 on: September 18, 2023, 08:52:19 PM »
Since announcing the move to the ACC, SMU has only raised $100 million in the past 7 days.

Makes you wonder if they like football in Texas.

Seriously, MU has no business playing in that world for football. Other than size and private Catholic/Christian affiliation of SMU and TCU, MU does not compare to schools like that.

I mentioned that they'd be able to cover any losses. There will be more money available for NIL too. I'm sure their goal is to try to position themselves to be in the "in crowd" during the next realignment.

Donors will float any and all losses that result from this deal. The gamble is whether the ACC still even exists at the end of all this...but their hope is that when all the dust settles this opportunity will give them the platform to prove they deserve a seat at the table in whatever new changes/realignments occur.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #3023 on: October 09, 2023, 11:07:58 AM »
Seth Davis reporting Gonzaga to the Big XII has picked up some steam and may happen as soon as next season. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #3024 on: October 09, 2023, 11:15:33 AM »

Four Big East schools play football. They could use more rivals.