[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 331783 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #2850 on: August 14, 2023, 09:16:23 AM »
So it looks like the PAC 12 is dead and even if they merge with the MWC there will be one less automatic qualifier and one additional at-large spot for the NCAA Championship.

Good point.

That is one bright spot in all of this consolidation for at large basketball teams on the bubble.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2851 on: August 14, 2023, 09:20:32 AM »
Good point.

That is one bright spot in all of this consolidation for at large basketball teams on the bubble.
Do you think this will get Jimmy Boeheim back?  :D

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2852 on: August 16, 2023, 08:42:25 AM »
https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1691774754074644846?t=tkyD-Elh2BB5S9hh25uzhQ&s=19

We can close the book on UConn/Gonzaga to the B12....for now
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #2853 on: August 16, 2023, 08:42:30 AM »

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #2854 on: August 16, 2023, 08:43:18 AM »
TAMU beat me too it

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2855 on: August 16, 2023, 08:53:11 AM »
Makes me wonder if GU is holding out for a Big East invite. Why else would they turn down a B12 invite? The way he phrased it ("unfortunately") it sounds like the B12 wanted them.

Unless they are truly happy in the WCC but I find that hard to believe.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #2856 on: August 16, 2023, 08:55:26 AM »
Makes me wonder if GU is holding out for a Big East invite. Why else would they turn down a B12 invite? The way he phrased it ("unfortunately") it sounds like the B12 wanted them.

Sound like they were a secondary option once the pac 12 imploded.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2857 on: August 16, 2023, 08:56:16 AM »

No the Big 12 never invited them. They were always used as leverage.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2858 on: August 16, 2023, 08:58:38 AM »
No the Big 12 never invited them. They were always used as leverage.

That makes more sense.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2859 on: August 16, 2023, 09:04:31 AM »

The B12 Commissioner wanted them. The B12 schools did not. Yormak is a true believer that the B12 should pursue some basketball only schools...but right now the finances really don't make sense so he couldn't get the schools on board. In the future if the financials make sense, Yormak will have them right back in the mix pursuing basketball only schools.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #2860 on: August 16, 2023, 09:18:50 AM »

I wouldn't necessarily conclude that Gonzaga or UCONN turned down anything.

Over the last number of months the stories I always read were that Commissioner Yormak was hell bent on getting both GU and UCONN into the B12, but that the B12 University Presidents were dead set against adding basketball only schools and that they would never vote for it.

My guess about what happened here is that the University Presidents, who are ultimately in charge of expansion, told Yormak that they're tired of hearing about it because it ain't going to happen, so he should shut up and stop talking about it.

I think Yormak saying " unfortunately, it didn't work out" is just his polite spin on the matter, and everyone moves on.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2861 on: August 16, 2023, 10:53:15 AM »

MUbiz

• Team Captain
« Reply #2862 on: August 16, 2023, 12:10:56 PM »
https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1691774754074644846?t=tkyD-Elh2BB5S9hh25uzhQ&s=19

We can close the book on UConn/Gonzaga to the B12....for now

Having UConn in the BE for the foreseeable future should help with the next TV contract. Very curious to see what happens going forward.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #2863 on: August 16, 2023, 01:06:03 PM »
Having UConn in the BE for the foreseeable future should help with the next TV contract. Very curious to see what happens going forward.

100%.

And I don't think it's possible to overstate the importance of this.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #2864 on: August 16, 2023, 02:26:20 PM »
100%.

And I don't think it's possible to overstate the importance of this.

Yep, yep.  This is great news for now.  As long as the ACC implosion doesn’t occur for two more years, before they cobble together a conference of crapty football schools and ask UConn to join them, this should be great for the next TV contract. 

Time to add Gonzaga as well. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2865 on: August 16, 2023, 02:44:56 PM »
...by 5 seconds

That's one hour as measured in "Pitino Time".

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2866 on: August 17, 2023, 08:38:41 AM »
This is the 1st mentions of Duke fans considering the Big East, from the Duke BB report:We’re sure everyone has done their due diligence and so on, but we really haven’t heard this idea mentioned: what about the Big East?
The big negative would obviously be the functional end of Duke football and Duke has a brilliant, if distant football history. And David Cutcliffe and Mike Elko have done much to breathe life into a program that was beyond life support: at one point, Duke actually argued that it should be allowed to cancel a game with Louisville because any substitute D-1 team would be a better program - and the judge agreed.
But the Big East has re-emerged as a great basketball league and at the end of the day, basketball is Duke’s crown jewel. It would also allow Duke to escape the endless aftershocks of realignment.
We’d vastly prefer the ACC, but clearly there are no guarantees of anything today.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2867 on: August 17, 2023, 08:51:15 AM »
This is the 1st mentions of Duke fans considering the Big East, from the Duke BB report:We’re sure everyone has done their due diligence and so on, but we really haven’t heard this idea mentioned: what about the Big East?
The big negative would obviously be the functional end of Duke football and Duke has a brilliant, if distant football history. And David Cutcliffe and Mike Elko have done much to breathe life into a program that was beyond life support: at one point, Duke actually argued that it should be allowed to cancel a game with Louisville because any substitute D-1 team would be a better program - and the judge agreed.
But the Big East has re-emerged as a great basketball league and at the end of the day, basketball is Duke’s crown jewel. It would also allow Duke to escape the endless aftershocks of realignment.
We’d vastly prefer the ACC, but clearly there are no guarantees of anything today.

I'm starting to wonder if more teams will begin considering going Independent for football if it makes sense for them, a la UConn. I'm not saying Duke should or shouldn't, but it makes more sense now than it did 10 years ago.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2868 on: August 17, 2023, 09:23:24 AM »
I'm starting to wonder if more teams will begin considering going Independent for football if it makes sense for them, a la UConn. I'm not saying Duke should or shouldn't, but it makes more sense now than it did 10 years ago.

The Athletic has an article yesterday with many coaches on and off the record calling for football to break away and order to be restored conference wise.  It's probably 10 years away but good to hear it being considered. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2869 on: August 17, 2023, 09:25:44 AM »
The Athletic has an article yesterday with many coaches on and off the record calling for football to break away and order to be restored conference wise.  It's probably 10 years away but good to hear it being considered.

But the article also pointed out how very difficult this will be, given that football underwrites the entire athletic departments at many, many schools.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2870 on: August 17, 2023, 09:26:29 AM »
[/quot

I think that is an idea worth considering. The conference roulette chaos is getting old.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2871 on: August 17, 2023, 09:28:01 AM »
But the article also pointed out how very difficult this will be, given that football underwrites the entire athletic departments at many, many schools.

Correct but having Chip Kelly and Nate Oats on the record calling for it is a very big first step in the right direction. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2872 on: August 17, 2023, 09:36:23 AM »
I do not see why football being in a separate conference from the other school's sports would be a negative financially.
The other sports could have less travel costs, so it might actually be a positive.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2873 on: August 17, 2023, 09:43:53 AM »
I do not see why football being in a separate conference from the other school's sports would be a negative financially.
The other sports could have less travel costs, so it might actually be a positive.

West Va's travel expenses in their last year of the Big East were 4 million, their first year of the Big 12 they were 8 million.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2874 on: August 17, 2023, 10:32:38 AM »
West Va's travel expenses in their last year of the Big East were 4 million, their first year of the Big 12 they were 8 million.

This is me feeling bad for WVU.