[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 332073 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #2576 on: August 01, 2023, 01:46:24 PM »
I have no sources but I thought I remember someone saying here on Scoop that Arizona and ASU have some of thing in place where they will only go to a new conference together. Like they have to invite both for one of them to accept. No idea if this is true or not.

So did Oklahoma and Oklahoma State...
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2577 on: August 01, 2023, 01:51:46 PM »
nm
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2578 on: August 01, 2023, 02:11:32 PM »
Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah may be a 3 or nothing situation.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/38109648/college-realignment-buzz-pac-12-big-12-arizona-next

Also Thamel, the deal presented to Pac 12 today was Apple, less than Big 12 $ but potentially more $ with incentives.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2579 on: August 01, 2023, 03:57:15 PM »
I just don't see any way that a significant number of people are going to subscribe to this service. I think so much of the eyeballs around college football, for example, are the people who will watch any college football game. For instance, I love watching a good ole SEC battle under the lights on a Saturday night when I have nothing going on, but I'm not going to subscribe to anything extra to do so.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2580 on: August 01, 2023, 04:16:31 PM »
I just don't see any way that a significant number of people are going to subscribe to this service. I think so much of the eyeballs around college football, for example, are the people who will watch any college football game. For instance, I love watching a good ole SEC battle under the lights on a Saturday night when I have nothing going on, but I'm not going to subscribe to anything extra to do so.

Agree.  It’ll be a niche market but it is a big market because of GAMBLING.  I, as a Christian, don’t gamble but many charlatans do
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2581 on: August 01, 2023, 04:22:31 PM »
Well, it is the Conference of Champions.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #2583 on: August 01, 2023, 06:29:47 PM »
https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/38109648/college-realignment-buzz-pac-12-big-12-arizona-next

Also Thamel, the deal presented to Pac 12 today was Apple, less than Big 12 $ but potentially more $ with incentives.

Less guaranteed money than the Big 12, with significantly less exposure.  The escalators in this proposed deal weren’t even hit by the MLS after they signed Messi.  While schools like Washington State and Oregon State would probably love nothing more than to sign and keep the PAC together, Arizona, Oregon and Washington will not have any interest in signing.

If Arizona leaves, it could further devalue the league value even further.

Between this deal and the recommended expansion additions of Rice, Tulane and UNLV (with SDSU and SMU) by PAC mouthpieces Wilner and Constanzo, there’s plenty of red flags here that should give alarm to the schools.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #2584 on: August 01, 2023, 06:42:37 PM »
Less guaranteed money than the Big 12, with significantly less exposure.  The escalators in this proposed deal weren’t even hit by the MLS after they signed Messi.  While schools like Washington State and Oregon State would probably love nothing more than to sign and keep the PAC together, Arizona, Oregon and Washington will not have any interest in signing.

Between this deal and the recommended expansion additions of Rice, Tulane and UNLV (with SDSU and SMU) by PAC mouthpieces Wilner and Constanzo, there’s plenty of red flags here that should give alarm to the schools.

I wonder if ESPN will run a requiem for the PAC-12?

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #2585 on: August 01, 2023, 07:01:25 PM »

Yep.  If it’s not easy to find and it’s more monthly cash outlay no casual fans will watch.  It will be niche.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2586 on: August 01, 2023, 08:45:02 PM »
I think AZ AD or Pres said a few weeks ago that more than 50% streaming would be a deal breaker.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2587 on: August 02, 2023, 10:34:53 AM »
I, as a Christian, don’t gamble but many charlatans do

You must be so proud of yourself

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2588 on: August 02, 2023, 10:35:57 AM »

Yeah I think a PAC remnant-Mountain West merger (retaining PAC name, although it will more closely resemble the Mountain West plus Oregon State, Washington State, and a few others) is becoming more likely.

I still think a Power Conference (BIG?) will pick up Cal and Stanford when all is said and done.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 10:37:31 AM by Coleman »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2589 on: August 02, 2023, 11:19:10 AM »
Yeah I think a PAC remnant-Mountain West merger (retaining PAC name, although it will more closely resemble the Mountain West plus Oregon State, Washington State, and a few others) is becoming more likely.

I still think a Power Conference (BIG?) will pick up Cal and Stanford when all is said and done.
It's logical to think Cal & Stanford will be in a power conference. I'm starting to think Stanford goes independent and Cal MWC. I think Cal's interest in sports is akin to the Ivy League schools. Just a guess.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2590 on: August 02, 2023, 02:24:13 PM »
It's logical to think Cal & Stanford will be in a power conference. I'm starting to think Stanford goes independent and Cal MWC. I think Cal's interest in sports is akin to the Ivy League schools. Just a guess.
Knowing both Cal and Stanford alums, there is no way one would allow the other to be in a better conference.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2591 on: August 02, 2023, 02:56:17 PM »

One of them will end up somewhere, but I'm not sure there is a place for both.

In the end, I think we will get to 3 power conferences of 20 teams each.

Big10 (most likely candidates)
FSU or Miami (get a Florida school, FSU might be strongly targeted by the SEC)
Notre Dame
Oregon
Washington

SEC
UNC
Clemson (I know mentioned to the Big10, but I don't think the SEC lets them get away)
Virginia
Georgia Tech (or FSU if they target them)

Big12
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Georgia Tech/Miami (whichever is left after the Big10 and SEC pick)
Louisville

That leaves 2 seats left at the table. Who gets them. I think the Big12 grabs a California school, so either Cal or Stanford gets a seat at the table.

Curious as to what others think.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2592 on: August 02, 2023, 03:06:04 PM »
If I'm the Big12, I'd rather have NC ST than Louisville.

What happens to Pitt and 'Cuse??? A10?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2593 on: August 02, 2023, 03:24:07 PM »

Notre Dame
Oregon
Washington

SEC
UNC
Clemson (I know mentioned to the Big10, but I don't think the SEC lets them get away)
Virginia

Big12
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Louisville

That leaves 2 seats left at the table. Who gets them. I think the Big12 grabs a California school, so either Cal or Stanford gets a seat at the table.

The collapse of the ounce proud Pac-12 is the 2.0 version of what happened  to the once proud Southwest Conference .

I think the 3 corners schools of Pac -12, Arizona, ASU and Utah end up in Big -12. Oregon and Washington go the Big 10. The rest of the conference merges
With Mountain West and operates under Pac-12 name and NCAA structure   

ACC has a very strong grant of rights , which have been thoroughly reviewed . Nothing can happen till 2036. It is possible an individual school could pony up a big exit fee, bit very unlikely.

SEC does nothing .Too many of their members are complaining about lost rivalry as it is.

Notre Dame contract is up after 2024. They will either get NBC to pony up big money and stay independent or join Big 10

---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2594 on: August 02, 2023, 03:32:02 PM »
Time for the Big East to think big

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2595 on: August 02, 2023, 03:41:15 PM »
Most seem to think that the Big 12 is going to pick up Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah. I'm not an expert in this area, but would Arizona State and Utah be redundant to the Big 12? I think Arizona brings in Phoenix as much as Arizona State does and BYU already brings in the tiny SLC market. Utah is at least a decent football program I guess. Does it make more sense for the Big 12 to grab Arizona and then a school like Cal, Stanford, or even San Diego State to establish a presence in California?
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2596 on: August 02, 2023, 03:44:40 PM »
ACC has a very strong grant of rights , which have been thoroughly reviewed . Nothing can happen till 2036. It is possible an individual school could pony up a big exit fee, bit very unlikely.

It is my understanding that if enough schools join in, they could vote to dissolve the ACC thereby ending the GoR. If this is true, I think after the PAC 12 is thoroughly demolished, the Power 3 will coordinate and make enough offers between the three of them to ACC schools to secure the votes necessary to dissolve the ACC.
TAMU

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2597 on: August 02, 2023, 03:48:59 PM »
Most seem to think that the Big 12 is going to pick up Arizona, Arizona State, and Utah. I'm not an expert in this area, but would Arizona State and Utah be redundant to the Big 12? I think Arizona brings in Phoenix as much as Arizona State does and BYU already brings in the tiny SLC market. Utah is at least a decent football program I guess. Does it make more sense for the Big 12 to grab Arizona and then a school like Cal, Stanford, or even San Diego State to establish a presence in California?

No, because Cal and Stanford ain’t going to a league with UCF.  They’re Big Ten or bust.  Not saying the Big XII wouldn’t take them or approach them but I don’t believe the interest would be reciprocal.  And I’m not sure how much “California” you grab with Cal and Stanford.

And who is to say they don’t add the four corners states and add a San Diego State later?  The two biggest brands are off the board as far as California and those brands only get attention locally when they’re doing well

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2598 on: August 02, 2023, 03:57:04 PM »

Notre Dame
Oregon
Washington

SEC
UNC
Virginia

Big12
Arizona
Arizona State
Utah
Louisville

What? You forgot St. Thomas!!!!

No wonder you go by "forgetful."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback