[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 332080 times)

79Warrior

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #2525 on: July 30, 2023, 01:38:29 PM »
Isn’t what ESPN is seeking more and less a hedge against the massive value of their rights payouts? That by partnering with some of the leagues / conferences, they can be sheltered on a potential downside while sharing in a potential upside?

Exactly. He likely will move ESPN to streaming and off traditional cable.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2526 on: July 30, 2023, 05:04:33 PM »
In time. There are still 10s of millions of U.S. households getting either cable or DirecTV. ESPN isn't in any hurry to stop milking that cash cow.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2527 on: July 31, 2023, 08:47:02 AM »
FWIW...

Barstool Sports' Jack McGuire is hearing a rumor that the Big Ten is adding four schools this week: Clemson, Florida State, Oregon and Washington.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #2528 on: July 31, 2023, 08:57:33 AM »
If it turns out that Clemson and Florida State end up in the BIG, the SEC really got out-maneuvered.  That will be a prize football recruiting ground the BIG is tapping into, and it is surprising the SEC would let that happen.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2529 on: July 31, 2023, 10:11:56 AM »
If it turns out that Clemson and Florida State end up in the BIG, the SEC really got out-maneuvered.  That will be a prize football recruiting ground the BIG is tapping into, and it is surprising the SEC would let that happen.
Does Florida State cast a wider net for viewers than Miami?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2530 on: July 31, 2023, 11:07:25 AM »

A.  Clemson and FSU aren’t leaving the ACC until the lawyers are certain they can

B.  Let’s not act the SEC needs either for recruiting purposes or that this makes it easier for the Big Ten to recruit these areas.  The Big Ten gets plenty of kids out of Florida

C.  I believe if the Big Ten is taking Clemson and FSU, they’d be inclined to take UNC and Virginia over Washington and Oregon

C. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2531 on: July 31, 2023, 01:01:58 PM »
A.  Clemson and FSU aren’t leaving the ACC until the lawyers are certain they can

B.  Let’s not act the SEC needs either for recruiting purposes or that this makes it easier for the Big Ten to recruit these areas.  The Big Ten gets plenty of kids out of Florida

C.  I believe if the Big Ten is taking Clemson and FSU, they’d be inclined to take UNC and Virginia over Washington and Oregon

C.

Don't leave us hanging....what is the 2nd C?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2532 on: July 31, 2023, 01:04:21 PM »
Don't leave us hanging....what is the 2nd C?

CC. Smoke door
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2533 on: July 31, 2023, 01:44:27 PM »
UVA & UNC must be set on going to the SEC.  Agree that UVA & UNC feels more B10 and Clemson & FSU feels more SEC.

Getting UW + Oregon is smart.  Gives them great programming for late window with games on west coast.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2534 on: July 31, 2023, 01:56:53 PM »
FWIW...

Barstool Sports' Jack McGuire is hearing a rumor that the Big Ten is adding four schools this week: Clemson, Florida State, Oregon and Washington.

If this is all true (BIG if), that leaves 7 teams in the PAC. I believe that is not even enough to get an autobid in the NCAA tournament (I think you need 8?)...so basically, the conference would be dead....leaving as members:

Arizona
Arizona State
Cal
Stanford
Oregon State
Utah
Washington State

Does the PAC try to plug the gaps with San Diego State, UNLV, Colorado State to get back to 10 teams? IMO, this might buy them a couple years but if I am Stanford, Cal, or Arizona I am not staying in that conference for very long.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2535 on: July 31, 2023, 02:14:52 PM »
If this is all true (BIG if), that leaves 7 teams in the PAC. I believe that is not even enough to get an autobid in the NCAA tournament (I think you need 8?)...so basically, the conference would be dead....leaving as members:

Arizona
Arizona State
Cal
Stanford
Oregon State
Utah
Washington State

Does the PAC try to plug the gaps with San Diego State, UNLV, Colorado State to get back to 10 teams? IMO, this might buy them a couple years but if I am Stanford, Cal, or Arizona I am not staying in that conference for very long.

Especially Arizona. The basketball program loses some big games.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2536 on: July 31, 2023, 02:19:28 PM »

Arizona
Arizona State
Cal
Stanford
Oregon State
Utah
Washington State

First, I agree this is a BIG IF.
Second, if this happens and the PAC? extends offers to the schools above, do they accept? They could be the only schools in the conference in 1 year, with the others bolting for the Big12. Is it better to hang in the MWC and pick up the scraps?

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #2537 on: July 31, 2023, 02:25:36 PM »
Second, if this happens and the PAC? extends offers to the schools above, do they accept? They could be the only schools in the conference in 1 year, with the others bolting for the Big12. Is it better to hang in the MWC and pick up the scraps?

Great point. I don't think any of us know the answer.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2538 on: July 31, 2023, 02:40:42 PM »
UVA & UNC must be set on going to the SEC.  Agree that UVA & UNC feels more B10 and Clemson & FSU feels more SEC.

Getting UW + Oregon is smart.  Gives them great programming for late window with games on west coast.

There’s nothing about UNC or UVA that “feels” Big 10.

Maryland has been in the Big 10 for almost a decade, and, it doesn’t feel Big 10. UCLA and USC do not feel Big 10. Neither does Clemson, FSU, UDub, Oregon.

Nebraska is the closest thing that “feels” Big 10.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2539 on: July 31, 2023, 02:45:33 PM »

Arizona
Arizona State
Cal
Stanford
Oregon State
Utah
Washington State

I said it earlier in this thread, but I'll reiterate part of it.

I think it is a forgone conclusion at this point that the PAC will eventually add San Diego State and SMU. Both will accept before the full invitation gets out of the PAC's mouth.

The only reason that doesn't happen, is in the event that the PAC and ACC are both raided to the extent that the best possible option is a merger of the remnants of the two conferences.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2540 on: July 31, 2023, 02:58:04 PM »
Just for fun, I looked at an Arizona fan board. If fans were indicator of what is happening in the PAC 12, then kiss the PAC12 goodbye; they are ripping each other apart to make a case for Big12 membership. (Reminds me of the Big East when the ACC came calling, football schools specifically)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2541 on: July 31, 2023, 03:35:17 PM »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2542 on: July 31, 2023, 03:40:54 PM »

Arizona
Arizona State
Cal
Stanford
Oregon State
Utah
Washington State

I think there's value in the PAC 12 name. The PAC 12 would become an MWC level conference, filled with former MWC teams, but I think they would call themselves the PAC 12 (or whatever number) and talk themselves up as a power conference (similar to what the AAC has tried to do). I don't see the PAC folding.

I do think the ACC will eventually dissolve to get out of the GoR early. Whether the leftovers try to reform it? I have no idea.

There are only so many Power 3 lottery tickets left. A lot of teams going to have to come to reality soon.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2543 on: July 31, 2023, 03:47:12 PM »
There are only so many Power 3 lottery tickets left. A lot of teams going to have to come to reality soon.

This. We keep seeing references to more and more schools allegedly trying to go to the SEC, Big Bazillion or Big 12, but there has to be a saturation point for each conference.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2544 on: July 31, 2023, 04:10:06 PM »
This. We keep seeing references to more and more schools allegedly trying to go to the SEC, Big Bazillion or Big 12, but there has to be a saturation point for each conference.
In addition to saturation point, the Pac 12 is still an Autonomy Conference with a guaranteed Jan 1 Bowl. If they get some kind of reasonable post USC/UCLA TV deal they should be able to cobble together a conference .

ACC cannot get out of Grant of Rights , otherwise they would have done it. 
            ---Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2545 on: July 31, 2023, 05:49:36 PM »
Arizona to Big12 tomorrow?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2546 on: July 31, 2023, 06:32:58 PM »
We will know the answers soon. Media Rights deal to be presented to schools.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/pac-12-commissioner-george-kliavkoff-set-to-present-media-rights-deal-to-member-schools-per-reports/
Rumors are $21 million per school per year. Mostly streaming.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2547 on: July 31, 2023, 06:58:23 PM »
In addition to saturation point, the Pac 12 is still an Autonomy Conference with a guaranteed Jan 1 Bowl.

How long is the guarantee for? Is it iron-clad?

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #2548 on: July 31, 2023, 08:01:41 PM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2549 on: July 31, 2023, 08:14:54 PM »
How long is the guarantee for? Is it iron-clad?
Autonomy Conference which means it can set its own rules and deals is part of the NCAA restructuring in 2014.

I guess the automatic Jan 1 bowl concept is not as big a deal any more now that there is a 12 team playoff .

However , Pac 12 should still be the fifth best conference based on economics . 
            ---Al McGuire