[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 331994 times)

Dickthedribbler

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #2100 on: May 16, 2023, 12:36:47 AM »
I totally follow your logic, but I think Pitt and Cuse could/would be strong partners. I'd even put up with their painful fans. BC does nothing for me and BC's 2 fans are not worth it either.

" Pitt and Cuse could/would be strong partners" ?

You have a short memory. Back in 2011-12 not only did Pitt and Cuse turn their backs on the BE and bail in favor of the ACC, they actually led the charge in blowing up the old BE completely. There was even suggestions ( strong evidence ??) that the Pitt and Cuse ADs at the time went behind the backs of the Catholic 7 and sabatoged an ESPN deal reportedly on the table, which all but guaranteed the old BE would fall apart.

With "strong partners" like that, who the F needs enemies? UCONN was a special case and allowing them to come back to the BE was correct on all levels. The current BE should have nothing to do with these 2 disgusting institutions.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2101 on: May 16, 2023, 03:15:59 AM »
Regarding Big East, I’ve long assumed that if they stuck to the plan of not adding football schools that VCU and Saint Louis make the most sense? Maybe Davidson? Others that are decent bball schools that geographically make sense are Dayton and Drake. However Dayton would share the Cincy market with Xavier so that might be a deal breaker of them ever being added but they are a good competitive bball school. Drake probably too small of a media market (Des Moines) to add.

A sneaky school who could gain traction if they continue their hot start at the D1 level is Saint Thomas (Minneapolis/Saint Paul market)

Not sure who else? Oral Roberts (Tulsa, OK)? Fordham (NYC)? Of course if they choose to not factor in geography that opens up a ton more possibilities. Saint Mary’s? San Francisco?

The impending ACC blowup might be biggest factor of who is added to the BE so maybe they sit tight until that happens?

Probably will add 1 school for short term when the time comes but 2 if UConn leaves. Not sure if their plan would be to get to 12 or eventually 14 or 16 teams.

None of these schools move the needle media wise. And I seriously don’t understand the St. Thomas love. They are decades away from being at the BE level.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2102 on: May 16, 2023, 06:22:49 AM »
No one wants the Domers, hey?

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #2103 on: May 16, 2023, 06:26:57 AM »
No one wants the Domers, hey?

They are destined to end up in the Big T#n eventually. Also, yes, no one wants to be associated with them if they don’t have to.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #2104 on: May 16, 2023, 07:41:10 AM »
They are destined to end up in the Big T#n eventually. Also, yes, no one wants to be associated with them if they don’t have to.

The Big East would add Notre Dame in a nanosecond, if ND was interested. Unfortunately, they have many suitors, and ultimately, will join or not join a particular conference based on what they believe to be in the best interests of their football program. Probably the B10.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2105 on: May 16, 2023, 07:47:25 AM »
Meanwhile in the ACC....

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1658174167789756433?t=skhQVqDK8hHu_dQL1-eyGg&s=19

Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, NC State, Virginia & Virginia Tech are “The Magnificent 7” ACC schools, sources told @ActionNetworkHQ. These schools, @RossDellenger reported, have met in past several months, w/lawyers examining grant-of-rights to determine just how unbreakable it is. ACC deal runs thru 2036

I don't see the GoR lasting until 2036
I think you are right but not because they will find an out in the GoR, that has ben reviewed by every lawyer east of the Mississippi. I think the ACC will dissolve.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2106 on: May 16, 2023, 07:49:52 AM »
" Pitt and Cuse could/would be strong partners" ?

You have a short memory. Back in 2011-12 not only did Pitt and Cuse turn their backs on the BE and bail in favor of the ACC, they actually led the charge in blowing up the old BE completely. There was even suggestions ( strong evidence ??) that the Pitt and Cuse ADs at the time went behind the backs of the Catholic 7 and sabatoged an ESPN deal reportedly on the table, which all but guaranteed the old BE would fall apart.

With "strong partners" like that, who the F needs enemies? UCONN was a special case and allowing them to come back to the BE was correct on all levels. The current BE should have nothing to do with these 2 disgusting institutions.
Good points. I was referring only to quality of the basketball product, not the quality of the schools. I'd be happy with the status quo.

• All American
« Reply #2107 on: May 16, 2023, 07:56:57 AM »
I think you are right but not because they will find an out in the GoR, that has ben reviewed by every lawyer east of the Mississippi. I think the ACC will dissolve.

I don't think the ACC bylaws are public, so it isn't widely known how many votes are needed to do this.  A simple majority would be eight, and you would think the seven schools named above could recruit one member with promises to make them whole financially. I also think some of the seven probably wouldn't go that far for fear of being left out in the cold.  For instance, if the conference dissolves and FSU and Clemson head to the SEC, what is left for the likes of Virginia and Virginia Tech? Possibly a media rights deal that is worse than the one they have now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #2108 on: May 16, 2023, 09:31:00 AM »

I don't think the ACC bylaws are public, so it isn't widely known how many votes are needed to do this. 

The bylaws are public but they never clarified the means of dissolution.

https://virginiatech.sportswar.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2022/08/2020-21-ACC-Manual-2020-9-17-2.pdf

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2109 on: May 16, 2023, 09:42:46 AM »

That's what I think too
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

• All American
« Reply #2110 on: May 16, 2023, 09:53:25 AM »
The bylaws are public but they never clarified the means of dissolution.

https://virginiatech.sportswar.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2022/08/2020-21-ACC-Manual-2020-9-17-2.pdf

OK thank you for the clarification.

jesmu84

• All American

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2112 on: May 16, 2023, 10:38:59 AM »
New big east? Who says no?

https://twitter.com/JackMacCFB/status/1658450194495668227?t=4kWe8d_5tB0QamdxGTR4Lw&s=19

I'd say no. I really don't want to get back in bed with football as the driver. Duke would be great, but that's taking on a lot of scattered garbage to get them.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

• All American
« Reply #2113 on: May 16, 2023, 10:42:00 AM »
I'd say no. I really don't want to get back in bed with football as the driver. Duke would be great, but that's taking on a lot of scattered garbage to get them.

Yeah....and that is one awful football conference.  I wouldn't doubt that the MWC and Sun Belt would be better.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2114 on: May 16, 2023, 10:43:27 AM »
Brew beat me to it.   Curses.

Joining a conference with a lot of mediocre football schools leads to instability, division, rancor about TV rights, etc.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2115 on: May 16, 2023, 11:18:10 AM »
New big east? Who says no?

https://twitter.com/JackMacCFB/status/1658450194495668227?t=4kWe8d_5tB0QamdxGTR4Lw&s=19

I do.

The expression "been there, done that" may be very dated, but it really fits here. For a long time, UCONN wanted an invite to the ACC and was an absolute hussy trying to get their attention. If the ACC dissolves and a new league is formed, let's hope that they are not invited to join and stay in the BE.

The idea that the posters responding to the "story" that the BE would welcome the FB schools is as laughable as it is incredibly ignorant.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2116 on: May 16, 2023, 11:19:01 AM »
Nm
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2117 on: May 16, 2023, 12:20:36 PM »
Who knows, but kinda funny if the BEast outlives the ACC.

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/1658494618458116096?s=20

BREAKING: Just verified this with a colleague who will also be reporting soon that #CardNation just became the eighth team to put the #ACC's existence into serious jeopardy. Of course that means the #Big12 has made the offer. Conference Realignment is going down...and soon!!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2118 on: May 16, 2023, 12:39:01 PM »
I do.

The expression "been there, done that" may be very dated, but it really fits here. For a long time, UCONN wanted an invite to the ACC and was an absolute hussy trying to get their attention.

Didn't UCONN have to accept having a huge penalty if they tried to leave the BEast again?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2119 on: May 16, 2023, 01:06:46 PM »
I hope UCONN is still telling their recruits they plan on moving to the ACC in the next few years.   ::)

Dumb f*cks.

• All American
« Reply #2120 on: May 16, 2023, 01:22:11 PM »
Who knows, but kinda funny if the BEast outlives the ACC.

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/1658494618458116096?s=20

BREAKING: Just verified this with a colleague who will also be reporting soon that #CardNation just became the eighth team to put the #ACC's existence into serious jeopardy. Of course that means the #Big12 has made the offer. Conference Realignment is going down...and soon!!

So the thought is that the Big 12 has made an offer to Louisville, so they will now join the other 7 to break up the conference?

I am assuming other schools have landing spots as well?

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #2121 on: May 16, 2023, 01:49:45 PM »
Nothing I would love more than seeing Pitt and Syracuse on their knees outside of the AAC Conference offices, begging for admission.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2122 on: May 16, 2023, 02:25:06 PM »
Didn't UCONN have to accept having a huge penalty if they tried to leave the BEast again?

They did, although I believe that the amount declined quite a bit over a period of years. I think it is very unlikely that they would leave the BE, but the delusion that they could easily become a football power like they are in basketball probably still remains. What I am saying is that never assume that UCONN is fully committed to the BE.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #2123 on: May 16, 2023, 02:30:26 PM »
They did, although I believe that the amount declined quite a bit over a period of years. I think it is very unlikely that they would leave the BE, but the delusion that they could easily become a football power like they are in basketball probably still remains. What I am saying is that never assume that UCONN is fully committed to the BE.

I found this:

Did you hear the other news? After losing its two marquee programs, the Big 12 will raid the ACC, leaving a void in that league that will obviously be filled by UConn.

OK, that’s just rampant speculation on social media, message boards, even from some media types.

Bottom line, that’s not happening right now. UConn officials scoff at the notion. The school couldn’t be happier to be back in the Big East, and one way it’s showed its gratitude is by agreeing to pay a whopping $30 million exit fee if it were to leave any time within its first six years in the league.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #2124 on: May 16, 2023, 02:46:21 PM »
I found this:

Did you hear the other news? After losing its two marquee programs, the Big 12 will raid the ACC, leaving a void in that league that will obviously be filled by UConn.

OK, that’s just rampant speculation on social media, message boards, even from some media types.

Bottom line, that’s not happening right now. UConn officials scoff at the notion. The school couldn’t be happier to be back in the Big East, and one way it’s showed its gratitude is by agreeing to pay a whopping $30 million exit fee if it were to leave any time within its first six years in the league.

Which begs the question, how much media money could a conference consisting of Duke, Wake Forest, Boston College, Georgia Tech, Pitt, Syracuse and UCONN command for their football content alone. My guess would be not much, relatively speaking. UCONN would merely be jumping from one bad football conference ( AAC ) to a worse conference.