[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 332046 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #1925 on: March 04, 2023, 10:56:51 AM »
UNC has a standing offer to join the SEC. When they decide to make that move it’s game over for the ACC. For now they continue to believe in their conference and its traditional rivals.

Big Ten very much wants UNC and has let them know on numerous occasions. Virginia, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1926 on: March 04, 2023, 11:34:20 AM »
It baffles me that we are close to a world in which neither the flagship university of the largest state in the country nor the university with the closest ties to the biggest sporting apparel company are in a major conference.

The future PAC 12 of the Washington schools, the Oregon schools, Cal, Stanford, Boise, SDSU, Fresno, and Nevada is a little geographically spread out but is clearly a second or third tier league.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1928 on: March 04, 2023, 12:36:08 PM »
https://youtu.be/K9cYcRotufU
Love the comment below that:
This has something for everyone. It involves alchemy, terrorism, armageddon, space travel, the crossing of dimensions, and ice hockey, all performed by a polar bear.  A+ 10/10

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1929 on: March 04, 2023, 12:39:07 PM »
Love the comment below that:
This has something for everyone. It involves alchemy, terrorism, armageddon, space travel, the crossing of dimensions, and ice hockey, all performed by a polar bear.  A+ 10/10

They have a different one for each season.  I think they retired the use of the terrorist bear a few seasons back.  I’m fond of this one for blowing up Michigan State, Ohio State and Miami (OH) for some reason

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1930 on: March 06, 2023, 09:19:56 AM »
I read an article over the weekend that made a case that the ACC could dissolve. The ESPN contracts doe not account for dissolution and the GoR is meaningless if the ACC goes away.

The ACC is an LLC (I believe) in North Carolina that only requires a majority of members to approve dissolving the entity. The author thought it entirely possible that the power schools are so upset about the financial arrangement, for the next 13 years, that blowing up the ACC is preferable. The shortfall compared to the Big10 & SEC could be $500-$600 million per school.

Schools likely to vote for ending the ACC are: FSU, Miami, Clemson, NC, Virginia, NCST, VT. Possible schools would be Duke, ND and UofL. I believe they need 8 votes.

I think there is a strong possibility that the ACC is going away. I don't know if that is good or bad for MU. 

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1931 on: March 06, 2023, 09:35:39 AM »
My schaefenfreude when then ACC disintegrates will be almost uncontainable. Cuse, Louisville, Pitt, BC… talk about sleeping in the bed you made…

Me thinks you missed the scurviest of them all.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1932 on: March 06, 2023, 09:45:35 AM »
They have a different one for each season.  I think they retired the use of the terrorist bear a few seasons back.  I’m fond of this one for blowing up Michigan State, Ohio State and Miami (OH) for some reason

It was back during the old iteration CCHA hockey conference that they were in.  MSU, OSU, Miami, and Michigan were the big dogs in the conference at the time. 

Made Gonzaga in the BE travel talk seem light.  Entire conference was in Michigan, Ohio and Indiana...except UAF.  What a commute

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1933 on: March 06, 2023, 11:29:03 AM »
I read an article over the weekend that made a case that the ACC could dissolve. The ESPN contracts doe not account for dissolution and the GoR is meaningless if the ACC goes away.

The ACC is an LLC (I believe) in North Carolina that only requires a majority of members to approve dissolving the entity. The author thought it entirely possible that the power schools are so upset about the financial arrangement, for the next 13 years, that blowing up the ACC is preferable. The shortfall compared to the Big10 & SEC could be $500-$600 million per school.

Schools likely to vote for ending the ACC are: FSU, Miami, Clemson, NC, Virginia, NCST, VT. Possible schools would be Duke, ND and UofL. I believe they need 8 votes.

I think there is a strong possibility that the ACC is going away. I don't know if that is good or bad for MU.

This has been my theory ever since it became clear that the B12 was going to emerge as the winner over the P12 and ACC. Whenever the B1G/SEC decide they are going to expand, they will take a combined 8+ ACC teams and those teams will vote to dissolve the ACC to end the GoR and exit fees, essentially making them free agents. The leftovers will need to decide if they reform the ACC with whatever is left in the AAC or will be free to be picked up by the Big East and AAC.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1934 on: March 06, 2023, 11:40:28 AM »
This has been my theory ever since it became clear that the B12 was going to emerge as the winner over the P12 and ACC. Whenever the B1G/SEC decide they are going to expand, they will take a combined 8+ ACC teams and those teams will vote to dissolve the ACC to end the GoR and exit fees, essentially making them free agents. The leftovers will need to decide if they reform the ACC with whatever is left in the AAC or will be free to be picked up by the Big East and AAC.

What a cluster. I hate it. I wish we could just keep things as-is.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #1935 on: March 06, 2023, 11:44:11 AM »

MU and other non-football schools need to start a PAC. That PAC's aim will be to make football contactless for minors, which should effectively kill interest in football (and, mostly, save basketball conferences)

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #1936 on: March 06, 2023, 12:46:21 PM »

I'll top that. I wish things could go back to where they were several iterations ago.

Between these mega conferences, NIL, and free transfers it's going to be a lot harder for me to maintain interest in major college sports.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1937 on: March 06, 2023, 12:52:48 PM »
I'll top that. I wish things could go back to where they were several iterations ago.

Between these mega conferences, NIL, and free transfers it's going to be a lot harder for me to maintain interest in major college sports.

Why?
TAMU

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1938 on: March 06, 2023, 01:23:49 PM »

The Big East 2005-2013 was fun but I actually like the current setup better. I'm good. Let the football conferences do whatever they want.

I don't have a problem with NIL or the transfer portal, in theory. They may need tweaking.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 01:25:26 PM by Coleman »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1939 on: March 06, 2023, 01:24:25 PM »
Me thinks you missed the scurviest of them all.

You can't spell scum without UM.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1940 on: March 06, 2023, 01:28:35 PM »
The Big East 2005-2013 was fun but I actually like the current setup better. I'm good. Let the football conferences do whatever they want.

I don't have a problem with NIL or the transfer portal, in theory. They may need tweaking.

Agree completely. I'm really hoping we don't have football schools coming along and poaching basketball programs. I love this league's stability, balance, and schedule.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1941 on: March 06, 2023, 01:32:56 PM »

Yea, I’d argue that version of the Big East was one of the first mega conferences.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #1942 on: March 06, 2023, 01:57:10 PM »
Agree completely. I'm really hoping we don't have football schools coming along and poaching basketball programs. I love this league's stability, balance, and schedule.

Yep. Hopefully this league will not be broken up by poaching.  Would be a shame and make it difficult to watch MU basketball if they land in some sort of inferior conference.  Knowing MU is in a conference that is top 5 every year puts MU on an elite level with elite competition as it should be.  Playing the likes of East Carolina every year in a make shift league of after thoughts would be discouraging.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1943 on: March 06, 2023, 02:01:38 PM »
The Big East could get poached but I don't think they will. I think we won't lose any members. We may gain members which would be good for the health of the conference but could dilute the product a bit.
TAMU

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #1944 on: March 06, 2023, 02:53:06 PM »
The Big East could get poached but I don't think they will. I think we won't lose any members. We may gain members which would be good for the health of the conference but could dilute the product a bit.

Realistically who could we gain though?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1945 on: March 06, 2023, 02:57:19 PM »

Dayton and SLU.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1946 on: March 06, 2023, 03:02:16 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1947 on: March 06, 2023, 03:23:26 PM »

I could see a scenario where any number of teams like BC, Syracuse, Louisville, Duke, Wake Forest, Pitt could be on the outside looking in and needing a new home. Some of those are obviously more likely than others. Depending on how else the landscape shifts, I could see a situation where a UConn type deal with the Big East is more profitable for those schools than merging with the AAC.
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1948 on: March 06, 2023, 03:25:57 PM »
I could see a scenario where any number of teams like BC, Syracuse, Louisville, Duke, Wake Forest, Pitt could be on the outside looking in and needing a new home. Some of those are obviously more likely than others. Depending on how else the landscape shifts, I could see a situation where a UConn type deal with the Big East is more profitable for those schools than merging with the AAC.
Throw them in with UConn, Memphis, and Houston and you have a really good basketball conference.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1949 on: March 06, 2023, 03:27:34 PM »
Things change. Shouting at clouds doesn't stop things from changing.

That a coach could make $10M/year but an athlete couldn't sell a freakin' t-shirt with his own name, image or likeness on it was unfair, immoral and idiotic. Thank goodness that has changed.

The process to get to NIL has been extremely messy. I do hope that some actual rules that can benefit all participants get established eventually. I sure don't see how anybody who likes capitalism and freedom can be opposed to people making money off of their own names, images and likenesses.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback