[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 332072 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #1425 on: July 17, 2022, 05:08:41 PM »
What's the argument they're going to make?  That the University of Illinois can't be allowed make decisions in its own best interest?  Its unfair they no longer want to compete with us, but want to compete only against a smaller number of equally powerful teams?

I don't see a successful argument that the U of I should be held back by state law because fans of Chicago State or SIU-Edwardsville or Eastern Illinois are miffed that they are no longer considered competors at the same level.

And it's a lot easier to understand the counterargument from Illinois being "well, fans of NIU, Governors State, Illinois State, etc, all you need to do is build an athletic program that brings as much to the table as we do, and I'm sure you'll be invited to participate as well. But until then, it sounds like you're just trying to ride our gravy train.

State governments prevent state universities from making decisions in their own best interest all the time. I'm not saying it is logical or right, just that the state of Illinois doesn't really need an argument, just the votes.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1426 on: July 17, 2022, 05:38:20 PM »
What's the argument they're going to make?  That the University of Illinois can't be allowed make decisions in its own best interest?  Its unfair they no longer want to compete with us, but want to compete only against a smaller number of equally powerful teams?

I don't see a successful argument that the U of I should be held back by state law because fans of Chicago State or SIU-Edwardsville or Eastern Illinois are miffed that they are no longer considered competors at the same level.

And it's a lot easier to understand the counterargument from Illinois being "well, fans of NIU, Governors State, Illinois State, etc, all you need to do is build an athletic program that brings as much to the table as we do, and I'm sure you'll be invited to participate as well. But until then, it sounds like you're just trying to ride our gravy train.
Large public universities have been built on and continue to "ride the gravy train" of tax payers. What would the economic fortunes underwriting the massive investment into sports look like if the Big Ten (x- N'western) universities had to simply purchase the land they sit on? (This is say nothing of annual tax revenues they receive.) I dare say we would not see a new sports facility for decades.

The concept and mission of public universities is sound and good. I have no problem with my tax dollars (in what ever vehicle the university receives them) going to them but they have parleyed the academic minded capital into sports factories that now dominate inter-collegiate sports. In short, they are standing on the shoulders of giants, or in sports parlance, "they were born on third base".

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #1427 on: July 17, 2022, 06:33:51 PM »
Quote from: TAMU Eagle link=topic=62146.msg1460592#msg1460592 date=
I don't think we agree on how it will look, but we seem to agree that a group of 100-150 schools will break off from the rest of D1. I just think they will break off entirely in football, and create a new division of the NCAA in all other sports.

Well, they are going to have to break off completely from the NCAA in basketball as well, because if they don't, total revenue will be limited by the current NCAA basketball tournament contract.

Those breakaway schools alone could conceivably land a TV deal that could double what the NCAA contract is worth between now and 2032. Staying in the NCAA means leaving billions on the table. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1428 on: July 17, 2022, 06:46:03 PM »
What's the argument they're going to make?  That the University of Illinois can't be allowed make decisions in its own best interest?

No. That the University of Illinois-Champaign-Urbana isn't a private corporation and must act in the best interest of the University of Illinois SYSTEM as a whole.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1429 on: July 17, 2022, 07:09:25 PM »
No. That the University of Illinois-Champaign-Urbana isn't a private corporation and must act in the best interest of the University of Illinois SYSTEM as a whole.

They “must act in best interest of the System as a whole?” How does one campus know what’s in the best interests of the entire system?  Is an action that disproportionately benefits one campus necessarily against the best interests of the system?

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1430 on: July 17, 2022, 08:29:16 PM »
They “must act in best interest of the System as a whole?” How does one campus know what’s in the best interests of the entire system?  Is an action that disproportionately benefits one campus necessarily against the best interests of the system?
You have a point, you're talking about Illinois government. I don't know if anyone at the State of Illinois knows what's in the best interest of anything in that state.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1431 on: July 17, 2022, 09:24:29 PM »
I don't think we agree on how it will look, but we seem to agree that a group of 100-150 schools will break off from the rest of D1. I just think they will break off entirely in football, and create a new division of the NCAA in all other sports.
If the power 5 breaks off, it will be less than 75 schools.

It would be a good thing, if sports were generating income that was used to reduce overall college tuition. However, I do not think that is what is actually happening.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1432 on: July 17, 2022, 10:16:51 PM »
Well, they are going to have to break off completely from the NCAA in basketball as well, because if they don't, total revenue will be limited by the current NCAA basketball tournament contract.

Those breakaway schools alone could conceivably land a TV deal that could double what the NCAA contract is worth between now and 2032. Staying in the NCAA means leaving billions on the table.

I'll go on record as saying that those teams will still be in the NCAA by 2032

I doubt it.
TAMU

• All American
« Reply #1433 on: July 18, 2022, 02:31:48 AM »

It would be a good thing, if sports were generating income that was used to reduce overall college tuition. However, I do not think that is what is actually happening.

Because tuition is largely set by supply and demand.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1434 on: July 18, 2022, 08:32:25 AM »

True and supply, relative to populations growth, of high quality college education has shrunk. Top 150 schools have not increased enrollments to keep pace with population growth but have leveraged the scarcity of their "product" into significantly higher tuition. I know I'm far from alone where I pay $90,000 per year on college tuition for 2 kids. Over time this will/has factored into the wealth gap. That said, my friend and business partner never went to college and did not inherit anything (dirt poor parents) but is in the top 0.5% of wealthy Americans, so it can be done without a degree.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1435 on: July 18, 2022, 08:32:33 AM »

Not only is that not actually happening. Universities continue to use student tuition to offset losses in athletics.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1436 on: July 18, 2022, 08:36:10 AM »

Maybe at the football level. Not at the basketball level. Restricting a 64 or 68 team tournament to fewer than 75 potential entrants would be hot garbage. Might as well call it the "Participation Ribbon Invitational."
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #1437 on: July 18, 2022, 11:51:40 AM »

I'm gonna assume this is one of those "I didn't use teal and if you thought I needed to then you're the internet dummy" situations.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1438 on: July 18, 2022, 03:41:13 PM »
Per Dodd, Notre Dame is looking at $75 million (at least) annually from NBC to extend their football TV deal with them.  Dodd (a Big 12 reporter) is pushing for the Big 12 to be paired with the ND package for NBC to become a big(ger) player in college football content.  ND sitting pretty at the moment, as they continue to have a standing invitation to the Big Ten (that will likely eclipse $100 million annually as a B1G member). 

If NBC doesn't meet the demands, ND could be gone to the Big Ten - thus sparking off another wave of realignment.  Pretty wild that NBC basically controls the fate of the PAC, Big 12 and ACC moving forward.  If ND books it to the Big Ten, they will certainly add another member to get to 18 teams, and the SEC isn't going to stand back and watch the Big Ten (over the course of several weeks) poach USC, UCLA, Notre Dame and potentially others. 

• All American
« Reply #1439 on: July 18, 2022, 03:54:49 PM »
NBC is usually pretty conservative when it comes to rights fees. (Outside of the NFL.) Plus they already shuddered NBCSN so are they going to show games on USA?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1440 on: July 18, 2022, 03:58:09 PM »
Per Dodd, Notre Dame is looking at $75 million (at least) annually from NBC to extend their football TV deal with them.  Dodd (a Big 12 reporter) is pushing for the Big 12 to be paired with the ND package for NBC to become a big(ger) player in college football content.  ND sitting pretty at the moment, as they continue to have a standing invitation to the Big Ten (that will likely eclipse $100 million annually as a B1G member). 

If NBC doesn't meet the demands, ND could be gone to the Big Ten - thus sparking off another wave of realignment.  Pretty wild that NBC basically controls the fate of the PAC, Big 12 and ACC moving forward.  If ND books it to the Big Ten, they will certainly add another member to get to 18 teams, and the SEC isn't going to stand back and watch the Big Ten (over the course of several weeks) poach USC, UCLA, Notre Dame and potentially others.
I wonder if TV does not realize that there is a risk that nobody is going to play Notre Dame if Notre Dame remains independent by negotiating their own TV contract. When conferences go to 20 teams. It is possible the big power conferences will not be playing out of conference opponents.

• All American
« Reply #1441 on: July 18, 2022, 04:01:32 PM »
I wonder if TV does not realize that there is a risk that nobody is going to play Notre Dame if Notre Dame remains independent by negotiating their own TV contract. When conferences go to 20 teams. It is possible the big power conferences will not be playing out of conference opponents.

Notre Dame will have no trouble filling out a schedule. The P5 will not be going more than 9 or 10 conference games regardless of size.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #1442 on: July 18, 2022, 04:39:27 PM »
Notre Dame will have no trouble filling out a schedule. The P5 will not be going more than 9 or 10 conference games regardless of size.

UConn, not so much.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1443 on: July 18, 2022, 05:31:17 PM »

nah, it's to keep up with the ever-growing bureaucracy and expanding departments. Cal Berkeley is spending $25 million a year in DEI department salaries, 58% of that from tuition. Michigan spends over $13 million for DEI salaries. IT has always been an every growing department too, especially with so many schools doing online classes. Then the facilities arms race and increasing scholarships to keep up with costs.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1444 on: July 18, 2022, 05:37:26 PM »
NBC is usually pretty conservative when it comes to rights fees. (Outside of the NFL.) Plus they already shuddered NBCSN so are they going to show games on USA?

I’ve mentioned it a couple times in this thread (by no means yelling at you) that NBC wants a Saturday Big 10 5pm(ish) EST game, and also a handful of games to show on Peacock in September (non conference).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1445 on: July 18, 2022, 05:46:23 PM »
nah, it's to keep up with the ever-growing bureaucracy and expanding departments. Cal Berkeley is spending $25 million a year in DEI department salaries, 58% of that from tuition. Michigan spends over $13 million for DEI salaries. IT has always been an every growing department too, especially with so many schools doing online classes. Then the facilities arms race and increasing scholarships to keep up with costs.

Close but no cigar on those numbers
TAMU

• All American
« Reply #1446 on: July 18, 2022, 07:51:04 PM »

So you think people are paying more than the value they are getting???  Of course not.

Therefore supply and demand.

• All American
« Reply #1447 on: July 18, 2022, 07:51:28 PM »
I’ve mentioned it a couple times in this thread (by no means yelling at you) that NBC wants a Saturday Big 10 5pm(ish) EST game, and also a handful of games to show on Peacock in September (non conference).

Gotcha.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1448 on: July 18, 2022, 09:09:36 PM »
Thamel reporting the PAC and Big 12 will not be partnering or merging.  The financials didn't work.

Both leagues will look to poach from the other, IMO.  I don't think the payouts will be radically different.  The only way a merger would have made sense is if the top brands of each league consolidated and trimmed the fat of the deadweights.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1449 on: July 18, 2022, 09:16:45 PM »
Talks between the Pac12 and Big12 have ended. No merger. Sounds like the Big12 didn't see value in being with all the Pac12 schools. Does the Big12 start picking from the bones of the Pac12?

I feel bad for the Pac12. Going into talks for a new TV deal and USC & UCLA jump ship. I'm no media expert but they don't have much to sell. I've read as presently constituted the Big12 could get double the money than the Pac12 will get. And the Big12 will not even be close to the Big10 & SEC neighborhood.