Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 06:36:07 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by tower912
[Today at 06:25:35 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 331791 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #925 on: April 06, 2022, 02:39:09 PM »
I'll continue to ask: What is Gonzaga once Mark Few leaves?  He'll be sixty this season.  How much longer does he want to do this?  Who's going to Spokane, WA to take over when he does leave?

Heck, what will they be without Tommy Lloyd?  They have 1 recruit signed and he's a 3 star.  They weren't close to as good this year as they were last year.  They'll still win a ton of games in their conference until they leave, but will they be a national title contender annually?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #926 on: April 06, 2022, 02:42:07 PM »
Sounds like Gonzaga is definitely bouncing, its just a matter of where.

I dont like losing the round robin.

Might be time to eject a team.

Nobody's getting kicked out of the Big East to make room for another school, if such a thing were even possible.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #927 on: April 06, 2022, 02:42:32 PM »
I'll continue to ask: What is Gonzaga once Mark Few leaves?  He'll be sixty this season.  How much longer does he want to do this?  Who's going to Spokane, WA to take over when he does leave?

Heck, what will they be without Tommy Lloyd?  They have 1 recruit signed and he's a 3 star.  They weren't close to as good this year as they were last year.  They'll still win a ton of games in their conference until they leave, but will they be a national title contender annually?
This same question can be asked about lots of programs.  Maybe this is part of the motivation behind a move to the BE.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #928 on: April 06, 2022, 02:46:03 PM »
Maybe this is all about the next TV contract.  If the Zags sink later, you figure out your future then.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #929 on: April 06, 2022, 02:47:54 PM »
This same question can be asked about lots of programs.  Maybe this is part of the motivation behind a move to the BE.

Yup, DePaul played that card beautifully.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #930 on: April 06, 2022, 02:56:08 PM »
Tired: NCAA Basketball season
Wired: Gonzaga to the Big East szn

OVER9000: Zags, KU and ND to the big east. Confirmed.

I am the source.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #931 on: April 06, 2022, 02:56:48 PM »
Yup, DePaul played that card beautifully.
If you can get Few for 5-10 seasons in the BE, I like their chances to stay relevant without him. They've developed a nice national brand and with continued success and more money they should be able to compete without Few.  They don't need to be an annual title contender, they just need to be relevant in order to be valuable to the BE. At the end of the day, it's all about money and I'm willing to bet Gonzaga moves the needle on a TV contract much more than any other viable addition to the BE.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #932 on: April 06, 2022, 03:08:35 PM »
Sounds like Gonzaga is definitely bouncing, its just a matter of where.

I dont like losing the round robin.

Might be time to eject a team.

22 conference games, 9 non-con. The issue will always be Gonzaga traveling, but it's only a one-team issue. All of us can make one trip west. Schedule everyone else around them. I used the 2022-23 calendar to create this while taking a look at Gonzaga's academic calendar to make it work. I'll put the home games in alphabetical order because it doesn't matter as much, but then batch the rest geographically:

• Homestand 1: Dec 17 vs Butler, Dec 20 vs UConn
  • Roadtrip 1: Dec 27 @ UConn, Dec 30 @ Providence, Jan 1 @ St. John's (3 games in 6 days over winter break)
  • Homestand 2: Jan 4 vs Creighton, Jan 7 vs DePaul
  • Roadtrip 2: Jan 11 @ Seton Hall, Jan 14 @ Villanova, Jan 16 @ Georgetown (3 games in 6 days using MLK Day)
  • Homestand 3: Jan 20 vs Georgetown, Jan 22 vs Marquette
  • Roadtrip 3: Jan 27 @ Xavier, Jan 29 @ Butler (2 games in 3 days)
  • Homestand 5: Feb 7 vs Providence, Feb 11 vs Seton Hall
  • Roadtrip 4: Feb 15 @ Marquette, Feb 18 @ DePaul, Feb 20 @ Creighton (3 games in 6 days using President's Day)
  • Homestand 5: Feb 25 vs St. John's, Mar 1 vs Villanova, Mar 4 vs Xavier

This gives a week off for Christmas. It takes advantage of the winter holiday to get the first road trip in. It takes advantage of MLK Day to get the second road trip in with minimal days missed. The third road trip is a Friday/Sunday so minimal class is missed. They get the obligatory random Big East week off from Jan 29-Feb 7. The final road trip takes advantage of President's Day.

None of these trips are overly grueling. It mimics the current Big East schedule. By week, they would play 1/1/2/3/2/2/2/1/2/2/2/2 games. So only one week would have 3 games, they get plenty of breaks, and only two extended road trips while class is going on, both of which utilize a federal holiday to allow for an easier schedule. Honestly, I don't think this is any more difficult than the current 20 game Big East schedule.

All this said...I still don't see it, but if I can put this together in 20 minutes then I think the Big East and Gonzaga can work it out for at least their one main sport. Especially if you bring the women's team along with for all those trips and have them alternate where they play. The multiple locations would assure both teams have an opponent without doubling up.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 03:17:07 PM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #933 on: April 06, 2022, 03:18:53 PM »
22 conference games, 9 non-con. The issue will always be Gonzaga traveling, but it's only a one-team issue. All of us can make one trip west. Schedule everyone else around them. I used the 2022-23 calendar to create this while taking a look at Gonzaga's academic calendar to make it work. I'll put the home games in alphabetical order because it doesn't matter as much, but then batch the rest geographically:

• Homestand 1:[/b] Dec 17 vs Butler, Dec 20 vs UConn
  • Roadtrip 1: Dec 27 @ UConn, Dec 30 @ Providence, Jan 1 @ St. John's (3 games in 6 days over winter break)
  • Homestand 2: Jan 4 vs Creighton, Jan 7 vs DePaul
  • Roadtrip 2: Jan 11 @ Seton Hall, Jan 14 @ Villanova, Jan 16 @ Georgetown (3 games in 6 days using MLK Day)
  • Homestand 3: Jan 20 vs Georgetown, Jan 22 vs Marquette
  • Roadtrip 3: Jan 27 @ Xavier, Jan 29 @ Butler (2 games in 3 days)
  • Homestand 5: Feb 7 vs Providence, Feb 11 vs Seton Hall
  • Roadtrip 4: Feb 15 @ Marquette, Feb 18 @ DePaul, Feb 20 @ Creighton (3 games in 6 days using President's Day)
  • Homestand 5: Feb 25 vs St. John's, Mar 1 vs Villanova, Mar 4 vs Xavier

This gives a week off for Christmas. It takes advantage of the winter holiday to get the first road trip in. It takes advantage of MLK Day to get the second road trip in with minimal days missed. The third road trip is a Friday/Sunday so minimal class is missed. They get the obligatory random Big East week off from Jan 29-Feb 7. The final road trip takes advantage of President's Day.

None of these trips are overly grueling. It mimics the current Big East schedule. By week, they would play 1/1/2/3/2/2/2/1/2/2/2/2 games. So only one week would have 3 games, they get plenty of breaks, and only two extended road trips while class is going on, both of which utilize a federal holiday to allow for an easier schedule. Honestly, I don't think this is any more difficult than the current 20 game Big East schedule.

All this said...I still don't see it, but if I can put this together in 20 minutes then I think the Big East and Gonzaga can work it out for at least their one main sport. Especially if you bring the women's team along with for all those trips and have them alternate where they play. The multiple locations would assure both teams have an opponent without doubling up.

It's definitely do-able for hoops .. but what about all the other sports? Are the benefits going to be worth scheduling/funding 2,500-mile roads trips for cross country, tennis, soccer, etc.?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #934 on: April 06, 2022, 03:24:50 PM »
It's definitely do-able for hoops .. but what about all the other sports? Are the benefits going to be worth scheduling/funding 2,500-mile roads trips for cross country, tennis, soccer, etc.?

No idea. It comes down to whether or not the financial boost from Hoops offsets the losses for the other sports, because they will certainly operate at more of a loss now than they currently do. But if you can batch trips and sports, it might be possible. Especially if you're suddenly in a league where the other teams are getting you 8-10 NCAA credits instead of 2-3 and your television rights skyrocket (especially when they will probably drop in the WCC with BYU headed to the B12). Gonzaga accounts for more than 70% of the WCC's NCAA credits, that's a lot of heavy lifting that proportionally helps the rest of the league more than it does them.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #935 on: April 06, 2022, 03:35:32 PM »

Gonzaga was good before Few.

panda

• All American
« Reply #936 on: April 06, 2022, 03:40:48 PM »
Gonzaga was good before Few.

They made two tournaments ever before Few.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #937 on: April 06, 2022, 03:56:47 PM »
Dan Monson was the coach who started Gonzaga on the path they'd get on. He left for Minnesota after the 1999 Elite Eight run, and Few -- who had been one of those dreaded "too long at one place" assistants that folks mock -- took over. The rest is history.

I get what wades is saying, but that's obviously not what any league should base such a big decision on. Being a historically strong program, and now in the Big East, could attract great coaching candidates once Few leaves. Or maybe his top assistant will deserve the promotion and keep things going. Or not.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #938 on: April 06, 2022, 04:57:54 PM »
No idea. It comes down to whether or not the financial boost from Hoops offsets the losses for the other sports, because they will certainly operate at more of a loss now than they currently do. But if you can batch trips and sports, it might be possible. Especially if you're suddenly in a league where the other teams are getting you 8-10 NCAA credits instead of 2-3 and your television rights skyrocket (especially when they will probably drop in the WCC with BYU headed to the B12). Gonzaga accounts for more than 70% of the WCC's NCAA credits, that's a lot of heavy lifting that proportionally helps the rest of the league more than it does them.
They still have a lot of travel required for the WCC.  Not that it's nearly the same what BE would be, but BE travel wouldn't be entirely incremental.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #939 on: April 06, 2022, 05:15:15 PM »
They still have a lot of travel required for the WCC.  Not that it's nearly the same what BE would be, but BE travel wouldn't be entirely incremental.

Right now, the Zags' longest road trip is 1,295 miles to San Diego.
In the Big East, their shortest road trip would be 1,377 miles to Creighton.

In the BE, they'd play six opponents, i.e. half the league, that are 2,500+ miles away.
And it goes both ways. Does adding Gonzaga for hoops make it worth it for Providence and Georgetown and St. John's to put their lacrosse and tennis teams on 7-hour flights to Spokane every year?
In theory, adding the Zags would be great, and if it could be done for hoops only, it should be done. But the logistics of making them a full conference member would be a nightmare.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 05:25:29 PM by Pakuni »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #940 on: April 06, 2022, 05:22:05 PM »
Goodman says no
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #941 on: April 06, 2022, 05:26:41 PM »
I don’t think it’s worth it. Who knows how long Gonzaga will be good. Why not just do some scheduling alliance where they play like 5 or 6 games a year against big east teams during the conference season.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #942 on: April 06, 2022, 05:28:28 PM »
It’s not that complicated.  In addition to bringing in Gonzaga, you also add Notre Dame and Kansas.

You split into two divisions, West and East

West is Gonzaga, Creighton, Kansas, DePaul, Marquette, Butler and Notre Dame

East is St. John’s, GTown, Providence, Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall and UConn

Round robin in your division and 8 games against the other division, 4 road and 4 home.  You play 1 team twice based on standings from the previous year.

Beep, boop, bop.  You sell your TV rights to the highest bidder and watch the cash flow in.

That’ll be $5,000,000 consulting fee

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muguru

• All American
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #946 on: May 06, 2022, 06:14:57 PM »
Dig out the Ron Paul gif ... it's happening for Queens University!

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article261181172.html#storylink=cpy

Queens University of Charlotte took another step toward becoming an NCAA Division I school on Friday.

The university’s board of trustees on Thursday unanimously voted to accept an invitation from the Atlantic Sun Conference, putting in motion the transition to Division I athletics competition, according to a news release. The four-year transitional period will begin July 1, the release said.

The Atlanta-based Atlantic Sun has 14 public and private members, including Jacksonville, Liberty, Lipscomb, Florida Gulf Coast and Jacksonville State universities. The Royals will be the only North Carolina program in the conference.

Mecklenburg County currently has two Division I schools, UNC Charlotte and Davidson College. There are 18 Division I schools in North Carolina. Winthrop in Rock Hill, S.C., competes in the Division I Big South Conference.

Queens does not have a football team, which could save costs during the move, but the university will have to increase the number of scholarships offered in many sports, The Charlotte Observer previously reported.

The university will be leaving the South Atlantic Conference. The school became a power in the conference and Division II, winning six national titles in men’s and women’s swimming and diving. The Royals’ men’s basketball team capped off its 2022 season with a 17-game winning streak that ended in March with a loss to Augusta with 2 seconds remaining in the Division II Southeast Regional championship game.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #947 on: May 06, 2022, 07:53:14 PM »
Dig out the Ron Paul gif ... it's happening for Queens University!

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/article261181172.html#storylink=cpy

Queens University of Charlotte took another step toward becoming an NCAA Division I school on Friday.

The university’s board of trustees on Thursday unanimously voted to accept an invitation from the Atlantic Sun Conference, putting in motion the transition to Division I athletics competition, according to a news release. The four-year transitional period will begin July 1, the release said.

The Atlanta-based Atlantic Sun has 14 public and private members, including Jacksonville, Liberty, Lipscomb, Florida Gulf Coast and Jacksonville State universities. The Royals will be the only North Carolina program in the conference.

Mecklenburg County currently has two Division I schools, UNC Charlotte and Davidson College. There are 18 Division I schools in North Carolina. Winthrop in Rock Hill, S.C., competes in the Division I Big South Conference.

Queens does not have a football team, which could save costs during the move, but the university will have to increase the number of scholarships offered in many sports, The Charlotte Observer previously reported.

The university will be leaving the South Atlantic Conference. The school became a power in the conference and Division II, winning six national titles in men’s and women’s swimming and diving. The Royals’ men’s basketball team capped off its 2022 season with a 17-game winning streak that ended in March with a loss to Augusta with 2 seconds remaining in the Division II Southeast Regional championship game.

Thank God! No we can have a legitimate National Champion in basketball by having Queens in D1. I think we all are tired of hearing "you know Villanova is pretty good, but could they beat Queens?".

MU82

• All American
« Reply #948 on: May 06, 2022, 09:33:08 PM »
Thank God! No we can have a legitimate National Champion in basketball by having Queens in D1. I think we all are tired of hearing "you know Villanova is pretty good, but could they beat Queens?".

Fear the Royals!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #949 on: May 07, 2022, 07:56:45 AM »
It’s not that complicated.  In addition to bringing in Gonzaga, you also add Notre Dame and Kansas.

You split into two divisions, West and East

West is Gonzaga, Creighton, Kansas, DePaul, Marquette, Butler and Notre Dame

East is St. John’s, GTown, Providence, Villanova, Xavier, Seton Hall and UConn

Round robin in your division and 8 games against the other division, 4 road and 4 home.  You play 1 team twice based on standings from the previous year.

Beep, boop, bop.  You sell your TV rights to the highest bidder and watch the cash flow in.

That’ll be $5,000,000 consulting fee

Dump Gtown for Duke  and St. Mary's for Depaul while you're at it.