[May 01, 2024, 07:53:32 PM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 332073 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #900 on: February 17, 2022, 12:14:33 PM »
Again, UIC has nothing to do with this. You want to have a separate conversation about whether or not they should have left early, great do that. This decision was the conference's and the conference's alone. UIC had no say in it.  Fortunately, the conference eventually came to the correct decision.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #901 on: February 17, 2022, 12:19:53 PM »
The scenario was farcical on purpose.

Every decision a university makes affects the students. Every decision the athletic department makes affects the student athletes. You know this more than anyone on this board.

If you don’t agree with a rule or a bylaw, negotiate to change it. Don’t just break it and hope there’s no repercussions.

Agreed that this particular rule might not be merited. But like you said that’s a different discussion.

The rule is in place to protect the league, its other members, and their automatic bid. It’s in place to make a team wait the full year and not screw over their players; To avoid this scenario. It goes above and beyond a monetary punishment.  UIC decided it was worth the risk and put the student athletes in the middle.
Obviously I agree with this. The member schools, including UIC, approved the by-laws and the schools ask the conference to enforce all they terms of the conference affiliation. The conference enforces the by-laws, as they are required to do, but now they are the bad guys.

The mind set of violating an agreement and then blaming others is the new mind set of many in America these days.

I'm glad it worked out for the UIC student athletes but it 100% clear that if UIC would have done the ethical and legally required terms of exiting the league, this would not even be a topic of discussion.  But I guess that's too much to ask of anyone these days. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #902 on: February 17, 2022, 12:21:57 PM »
If you don’t agree with a rule or a bylaw, negotiate to change it. Don’t just break it and hope there’s no repercussions.

You do realize you live in the United States in 2022 right?  I think minor college conference post season decisions are a flea at the end of the dog's tail for this argument.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #903 on: February 17, 2022, 12:24:47 PM »
Again, UIC has nothing to do with this. You want to have a separate conversation about whether or not they should have left early, great do that. This decision was the conference's and the conference's alone. UIC had no say in it.  Fortunately, the conference eventually came to the correct decision.
Would you agree that if UIC acted as required by the terms they agreed to (and maybe championed at one point), that the conference would have not been put in a position to enforce or not enforce the by-laws?

If so, then I don't know how you can declare "UIC has nothing to do with this".

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #904 on: February 17, 2022, 12:40:12 PM »
The conference enforces the by-laws, as they are required to do,

This is incorrect and maybe this is where the confusion is. The conference has a choice of whether or not to enforce a bylaw. They initially chose to. They then decided against it.

Would you agree that if UIC acted as required by the terms they agreed to (and maybe championed at one point), that the conference would have not been put in a position to enforce or not enforce the by-laws?

If so, then I don't know how you can declare "UIC has nothing to do with this".

I do agree with it. But what UIC did or didn't do is irrelevant to whether or not the conference choosing to enforce an unethical bylaw is the right decision. It's only relevant if you look at it through a pre-k lens of "well they started it". Two wrongs don't make a right. The conference can't control what UIC did. They can control how they respond. They initially chose to be petty and punish the student athletes for something they had no control over. They realized their mistake and reversed course. Again, not even the conference you're attempting to defend agrees with you.
TAMU

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #905 on: February 17, 2022, 01:21:18 PM »
This is incorrect and maybe this is where the confusion is. The conference has a choice of whether or not to enforce a bylaw. They initially chose to. They then decided against it.

I do agree with it. But what UIC did or didn't do is irrelevant to whether or not the conference choosing to enforce an unethical bylaw is the right decision. It's only relevant if you look at it through a pre-k lens of "well they started it". Two wrongs don't make a right. The conference can't control what UIC did. They can control how they respond. They initially chose to be petty and punish the student athletes for something they had no control over. They realized their mistake and reversed course. Again, not even the conference you're attempting to defend agrees with you.

Ok. What do the student athletes have control over and what can the university be punished for?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #906 on: February 17, 2022, 01:30:13 PM »

Agree to disagree. You are are making wild assumptions that make intelligent discourse impossible on the issue.

We can all go back to ignoring the Horizon League. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #907 on: February 17, 2022, 01:40:00 PM »
Agree to disagree. You are are making wild assumptions that make intelligent discourse impossible on the issue.

Sorry, what "wild assumptions" is he making?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #908 on: February 17, 2022, 01:54:13 PM »
Ok. What do the student athletes have control over and what can the university be punished for?

What? I have no problem with the school being punished for violating bylaws. Charge them millions in exit fees.  Require them to schedule home and homes against the conference for x number of years.  Hell, require the university president to issue a statement that UIC is too chicken to compete in the Horizon while wearing a chicken suit.

I have a problem with the punishment falling solely on the student athletes and not on the school... which is what banning UIC did postseason play did.

There are literally no assumptions in the post you quoted.
TAMU

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #909 on: February 18, 2022, 09:00:38 AM »
What? I have no problem with the school being punished for violating bylaws. Charge them millions in exit fees.  Require them to schedule home and homes against the conference for x number of years.  Hell, require the university president to issue a statement that UIC is too chicken to compete in the Horizon while wearing a chicken suit.

I have a problem with the punishment falling solely on the student athletes and not on the school... which is what banning UIC did postseason play did.

There are literally no assumptions in the post you quoted.

Wild assumptions:
UICs decision has nothing to do with the leagues decision. If I commit a crime the punishment is a direct response to my decision to commit a crime.

The leagues punishment was unethical. The punishment must fit in a predetermined and agreed upon range. In which league members agreed this was an ethical punishment.

The punishment falls solely on the student athletes. UIC will benefit from exposure during the conference tournament win or lose. If they are to win the auto bid, they will benefit more than any team in the league.

• All American
« Reply #910 on: February 18, 2022, 09:59:29 AM »
Wild assumptions:
UICs decision has nothing to do with the leagues decision. If I commit a crime the punishment is a direct response to my decision to commit a crime.

The leagues punishment was unethical. The punishment must fit in a predetermined and agreed upon range. In which league members agreed this was an ethical punishment.

The punishment falls solely on the student athletes. UIC will benefit from exposure during the conference tournament win or lose. If they are to win the auto bid, they will benefit more than any team in the league.

Do you know what the word “assumption” means?  Those are opinions…not assumptions.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #911 on: February 18, 2022, 11:23:49 AM »
Wild assumptions:

None of those are assumptions.

UICs decision has nothing to do with the question of whether or not the Leagues desicion is ethical or wise.

Again not even the conference you are attempting to defend agrees with you. They realized that they made a mistake.
TAMU

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #912 on: February 19, 2022, 12:17:15 AM »
Do you know what the word “assumption” means?  Those are opinions…not assumptions.

Completely different.

1318WWells

• Starter
« Reply #913 on: February 19, 2022, 12:18:59 AM »

• All American
« Reply #914 on: February 19, 2022, 10:22:46 AM »
Yeah that's not what TAMU did.  He expressed opinions.  He never stated something as absolute truth without proof.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #915 on: February 23, 2022, 11:14:27 AM »
Lindenwood University will transition to FCS Football and Division 1 Athletics joining the Ohio Valley Conference. The FCS football component will combine with the Big South. 33 schools have either moved in or out of FCS football in the past 5 years. Lots of movement in these leagues,

The school may sound familiar to some as former Wisconsin Coach Brad Soderberg used to be their basketball coach when they transitioned from NAIA to D-2 a little over 10 plus years ago. And for old timers its a former NFL training camp site in the 1970's.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #916 on: February 23, 2022, 11:37:33 AM »
Obviously I agree with this. The member schools, including UIC, approved the by-laws and the schools ask the conference to enforce all they terms of the conference affiliation. The conference enforces the by-laws, as they are required to do, but now they are the bad guys.

The mind set of violating an agreement and then blaming others is the new mind set of many in America these days.

I'm glad it worked out for the UIC student athletes but it 100% clear that if UIC would have done the ethical and legally required terms of exiting the league, this would not even be a topic of discussion.  But I guess that's too much to ask of anyone these days.

"hey now, when we happily voted to punish others, including student-athletes, we didn't mean for it to apply to us. Unfair!" - UIC administration.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #917 on: February 23, 2022, 03:14:39 PM »
Lindenwood University will transition to FCS Football and Division 1 Athletics joining the Ohio Valley Conference. The FCS football component will combine with the Big South. 33 schools have either moved in or out of FCS football in the past 5 years. Lots of movement in these leagues,

The school may sound familiar to some as former Wisconsin Coach Brad Soderberg used to be their basketball coach when they transitioned from NAIA to D-2 a little over 10 plus years ago. And for old timers its a former NFL training camp site in the 1970's.
Smart move by Lindenwood
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #918 on: April 06, 2022, 02:26:07 PM »
Gonzaga to the a Big East picking up some serious steam…

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #919 on: April 06, 2022, 02:28:47 PM »
Gonzaga to the a Big East picking up some serious steam…

From where, exactly? Seeing unverified Twitter accounts talking about it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #920 on: April 06, 2022, 02:30:43 PM »
Tired: NCAA Basketball season
Wired: Gonzaga to the Big East szn

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #921 on: April 06, 2022, 02:31:23 PM »
Hopefully it won't happen. We already have too many tough teams in the conference.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #922 on: April 06, 2022, 02:31:47 PM »
Maybe it happens, but I think Gonzaga to the Big East is just the league-wide version of "Let's change the name back to Warriors." Every offseason, once it starts to slow down a little, we'll have this discussion, people will have passionate takes in both directions, and nothing will come of it. Happy to be wrong, though.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #923 on: April 06, 2022, 02:34:32 PM »
Sounds like Gonzaga is definitely bouncing, its just a matter of where.

I dont like losing the round robin.

Might be time to eject a team.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #924 on: April 06, 2022, 02:34:57 PM »
Just seems like a little more smoke than usual this year.