[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 331985 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #675 on: November 16, 2021, 06:11:05 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if the A10's reasoning included getting a school close to SLU to keep them happy. Especially now that they are starting to be a major factor in the league now.

Loyola will destroy St. Louis.  Not a fair matchup
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #676 on: November 16, 2021, 06:27:21 PM »
Man, 5 years ago no one would've wanted LUC. Two top-80 finishes in the history of kenpom, both in the last 5 years. Three NCAA appearances since the 1960s, two in the last five years. Generally been a mediocre (at best) program for the better part of 50 years that caught lightning in a bottle. They should give 50% of their A-10 share to Cam Krutwig.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #677 on: November 16, 2021, 06:32:43 PM »
Never say never. If they have a few more runs like they did under moser the BE powers may realize Chicago's big enough for two teams especially since one of them counts for negative support

College basketball needs soccer style relegation.  Relegate DePaul to the A-10, add Loyola.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #678 on: November 16, 2021, 06:33:59 PM »
Man, 5 years ago no one would've wanted LUC. Two top-80 finishes in the history of kenpom, both in the last 5 years. Three NCAA appearances since the 1960s, two in the last five years. Generally been a mediocre (at best) program for the better part of 50 years that caught lightning in a bottle. They should give 50% of their A-10 share to Cam Krutwig.

Nah, Sister Jean.

It wouldn't surprise me if the A10's reasoning included getting a school close to SLU to keep them happy. Especially now that they are starting to be a major factor in the league now.

Where is SLU going to go?  They may want out but the only upgrade for them is the Big East and we don't want them.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #679 on: November 16, 2021, 06:34:54 PM »
Nah, Sister Jean.

Where is SLU going to go?  They may want out but the only upgrade for them is the Big East and we don't want them.

The B1G wants SLU so they can host their tournament there
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #680 on: November 16, 2021, 06:43:12 PM »

This is the winner
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #681 on: November 16, 2021, 06:53:29 PM »

In 1998, there's very little chance the Big East would have wanted Marquette. A lot can happen in five years.
Beyond just on-court success, Loyola has invested pretty heavily in the program over the past decade, with a $26 million athletic complex and massive renovation of Gentile Arena.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #682 on: November 16, 2021, 07:19:33 PM »

Haaa that’s great

tower912

• All American
« Reply #683 on: November 16, 2021, 09:11:23 PM »
The Yadier Molina Big 1G Championship brought to you by Budweiser.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #684 on: November 16, 2021, 10:24:38 PM »
In 1998, there's very little chance the Big East would have wanted Marquette. A lot can happen in five years.
Beyond just on-court success, Loyola has invested pretty heavily in the program over the past decade, with a $26 million athletic complex and massive renovation of Gentile Arena.
Marquette had more NCAA appearances in the 5 years before 1998 than LUC has had in the last 50. Not to mention Marquette's (more impressive) glory days were more of a recent memory. And that's before Crean and Wade were a better version of Moser and Krutwig.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #685 on: November 16, 2021, 10:47:24 PM »
Marquette had more NCAA appearances in the 5 years before 1998 than LUC has had in the last 50. Not to mention Marquette's (more impressive) glory days were more of a recent memory. And that's before Crean and Wade were a better version of Moser and Krutwig.

But that doesn't really matter, does it? The A-10  isn't taking Loyola because of where the program was 10 or 20 years ago. It's taking them for where they are now, which is a solid mid-major program with a nationally known brand, a recent record of success, a willingness to invest resources, and a location in the country's third-largest media market.
The idea that all of that upside is somehow less important than their KenPom in the 2010s or anything else from the distant  past seems a bit silly. A middling Loyola program is still an asset to the conference.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #686 on: November 16, 2021, 11:35:50 PM »
But that doesn't really matter, does it? The A-10  isn't taking Loyola because of where the program was 10 or 20 years ago. It's taking them for where they are now, which is a solid mid-major program with a nationally known brand, a recent record of success, a willingness to invest resources, and a location in the country's third-largest media market.
The idea that all of that upside is somehow less important than their KenPom in the 2010s or anything else from the distant  past seems a bit silly. A middling Loyola program is still an asset to the conference.

I'd say track record absolutely matters. The 2010s aren't the distant past. And where they are now is a team that's been sub-100 two of the last three years, unless you also think 2019 is the distant past.

This just demonstrates the randomness of March. They channeled a few lucky wins into big donations and parlayed that into a conference upgrade, not by sustaining success, but mostly because of 3 wins by 4 points in 2018.

And unproven upside has all the value of a lottery ticket. Could they prove to meet the value of moving up? Sure. But there is virtually nothing in their past to indicate their erratic success level of even the past four years is sustainable.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #687 on: November 17, 2021, 07:33:01 AM »

Some people here get very triggered when you mention this, or mention the state of MUBB before Kevin O’Neill, etc…

Marquette easily could have gone down a different path. Because they came close to that, didn’t, some cling a little super tight.

Some are also overly obsessed with KenPom, when it advances their point, but less so when it doesn’t.

It’s interesting how other schools are lucky and random. In 2003, Marquette barely beat Holy Cross in the NCAA First Round. (4 points). Then MU won in OT, Then MU won by 3 points.

In the Elite 8 year of 2013, MUBB won at the buzzer in the first round over Davidson and by 2 points in the 2nd round.

It’s pretty clear both of these things were pretty big deals for Marquette. They are the only two times MUBB has finished past the Sweet 16 in 44 years. Things worked out well for Marquette. That’s great. But some are not secure enough to mention that things easily could have gone a different way.

We’ve already discussed the various teams that have done better since joining new leagues, than they did before joining.

“Unproven upside” is in large part the NBA draft. Unproven upside is how several MLB franchises build their teams through draft and player development. And so on.

I’m sure Marquette Women’s Soccer Coach Frank Pelaez is paying attention to the situation. MU made 12 NCAA Women’s Soccer Tourneys in his 19 years as an assistant. They made 1 of 5, after he left for Loyola. Loyola made 3 after Pelaez left for there to coach or recruit the players, the first time they had made it in over a decade. (Marquette’s coach stepped down, and they hired Pelaez as head coach)

« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 07:42:19 AM by shoothoops »

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #688 on: November 17, 2021, 07:36:26 AM »

Big Ten already has that market. U Illinois is a similar distance to Chicago and St. Louis (slightly farther) The Illini have been playing at least 1 annual game there for over 40 years. Lots of Illini fans in that market.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #689 on: November 17, 2021, 08:10:35 AM »
their AD specifically mentioned being in a conference with other Jesuit schools.

Not unlike Butler: Horizon to A-10 to Big East. Though this is the end of the climb for LUC.
end of climb? Why? Loyola adds more to the BE than Butler if for no other reason the Chicago market. Loyola doesn’t take a back seat to DePaul, and two Chicago-market BE programs isn’t a bad thing.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #690 on: November 17, 2021, 08:12:59 AM »
Some people here get very triggered when you mention this, or mention the state of MUBB before Kevin O’Neill, etc…

Marquette easily could have gone down a different path. Because they came close to that, didn’t, some cling a little super tight.

Some are also overly obsessed with KenPom, when it advances their point, but less so when it doesn’t.

It’s interesting how other schools are lucky and random. In 2003, Marquette barely beat Holy Cross in the NCAA First Round. (4 points). Then MU won in OT, Then MU won by 3 points.

In the Elite 8 year of 2013, MUBB won at the buzzer in the first round over Davidson and by 2 points in the 2nd round.

It’s pretty clear both of these things were pretty big deals for Marquette. They are the only two times MUBB has finished past the Sweet 16 in 44 years. Things worked out well for Marquette. That’s great. But some are not secure enough to mention that things easily could have gone a different way.

We’ve already discussed the various teams that have done better since joining new leagues, than they did before joining.

“Unproven upside” is in large part the NBA draft. Unproven upside is how several MLB franchises build their teams through draft and player development. And so on.

I’m sure Marquette Women’s Soccer Coach Frank Pelaez is paying attention to the situation. MU made 12 NCAA Women’s Soccer Tourneys in his 19 years as an assistant. They made 1 of 5, after he left for Loyola. Loyola made 3 after Pelaez left for there to coach or recruit the players, the first time they had made it in over a decade. (Marquette’s coach stepped down, and they hired Pelaez as head coach)

St. Louis sucks
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #691 on: November 17, 2021, 08:27:40 AM »
In 1998, there's very little chance the Big East would have wanted Marquette.

Well in 1998 the BE wasn't interested in expanding, but let's say that Marquette doesn't make the FF in 2003.  The idea that they would no longer have been a target for the 2005 BE expansion is wildly speculative.

It's more than immediate success for why schools are invited to join a conference.  Marquette has a huge fanbase, a lot of resources, and a history and tradition.  Who else would they have invited? 

LUC was invited to the A10 not just because of their recent success, but because they have shown a commitment to put money into their program and their location in Chicago.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #692 on: November 17, 2021, 08:49:03 AM »
When the Big East was expanding in 2005, their goal was to replenish their football ranks and to create a 16 team superconference in basketball. Given that DePaul was taken as well, I think Marquette would have safely been in, regardless of the 2003 Final Four. Impossible to know of course but I think it is the most educated guess.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #693 on: November 17, 2021, 09:00:11 AM »
I'd say track record absolutely matters. The 2010s aren't the distant past. And where they are now is a team that's been sub-100 two of the last three years, unless you also think 2019 is the distant past.

This just demonstrates the randomness of March. They channeled a few lucky wins into big donations and parlayed that into a conference upgrade, not by sustaining success, but mostly because of 3 wins by 4 points in 2018.

Shoot mentions it below, but do you dismiss MU's Final Four and Elite Eight runs just the same because they involved narrow victories that could have just as easily gone the other way? Fact is, MU was fortuitous not have seen first-round exits both those years. That doesn't make the runs they made an less valuable.

With all due respect, you're putting your emphasis on all the wrong things here. Outside of us basketball nerds that inhabit spaces like this, nobody cares about KenPom. Walk the concourse at Fiserv pregame some night and ask 100 random fans what Loyola's KenPom rankings have been the past five years. I'd be very surprised if more than a couple, if that, can tell you with any level of accuracy. More will ask "What's a KenPom?" And every one of them will be able to tell you about the Final Four run, beating Illinois to get to the Sweet 16 last year and Sister Jean.

The priority of any conference when it's looking to add members is expanding its footprint, putting fans in seats and eyeballs on televisions. Loyola does that for the A-10. I think it's a safe bet that when the A-10 is in negotiations for its next TV contract, Loyola's KenPom won't come up. But their name recognition and location will. Whether the program wins is just a bonus. I mean, the Big 10 didn't add Rutgers and Maryland for their powerhouse programs, right?

FWIW, you've got your timeline all wrong. The donations didn't come after "a few lucky wins." The donations came first, and the success followed. This actually bodes well for Loyola's future. They've proven they can translate investment in the program into on-court success. Obviously, nothing is guaranteed, but Loyola is well-positioned to continue its success.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 09:03:33 AM by Pakuni »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #694 on: November 17, 2021, 09:06:15 AM »
According to a few here, Loyola is doomed without The Great Porter Moser ... and Marquette is doomed without him, too!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #695 on: November 17, 2021, 09:24:04 AM »
I took a quick look at DePaul's schedule with this talk of Loyola, and color me surprised

12/4 vs. Loyola (Red Line Rivalry)
12/14 @ UIC
12/18 @ Northwestern

I wish MU would get back to playing in-state schools.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #696 on: November 17, 2021, 09:55:34 AM »
I took a quick look at DePaul's schedule with this talk of Loyola, and color me surprised

12/14 @ UIC
12/18 @ Northwestern

I mean we're playing 1/3 of the onstage options... WI isn't like Illinois where they can fill an entire schedule with mid major opponents
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #697 on: November 17, 2021, 09:59:45 AM »

12/14 @ UIC
12/18 @ Northwestern

Was there ever a time where we consistently played in-state schools besides Madison?

I have no idea how accurate this site is but if its right, we've only played UWM 11 times and Green Bay 13 times in the past 70ish years: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/marquette/head-to-head.html

That seems low to me, can anyone confirm?

EDIT: Looking closer, it looks like there were two periods of time where we played them both consistently, 1993-1997 and 2010-2013
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:03:47 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #698 on: November 17, 2021, 10:57:03 AM »
I mean we're playing 1/3 of the onstage options... WI isn't like Illinois where they can fill an entire schedule with mid major opponents

You know, I thought this was hyperbole so I looked it up. Illinois has 13 D1 basketball programs:

Bradley Braves
Chicago State Cougars
DePaul Blue Demons
Eastern Illinois Panthers
Illinois Fighting Illini
Illinois State Redbirds
Loyola Ramblers
Northern Illinois Huskies
Northwestern Wildcats
Southern Illinois Salukis
SIUE Cougars
UIC Flames

I feel like I'm looking at gerrymandered voting districts for the first time. Maybe the fed should step in with some conference redistricting guidelines.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #699 on: November 17, 2021, 11:00:01 AM »
You know, I thought this was hyperbole so I looked it up. Illinois has 13 D1 basketball programs:

Bradley Braves
Chicago State Cougars
DePaul Blue Demons
Eastern Illinois Panthers
Illinois Fighting Illini
Illinois State Redbirds
Loyola Ramblers
Northern Illinois Huskies
Northwestern Wildcats
Southern Illinois Salukis
SIUE Cougars
UIC Flames

I feel like I'm looking at gerrymandered voting districts for the first time. Maybe the fed should step in with some conference redistricting guidelines.

Off the top of my head youre at least forgetting Western Illinois University Leathernecks
Maigh Eo for Sam