[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 331924 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #375 on: October 19, 2021, 12:58:34 PM »
What does Gonzaga look like when Few retires?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #376 on: October 19, 2021, 12:59:52 PM »

I have no idea what any of this means.

The only thing that makes sense is that Dayton fans shop at Walmart...
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #377 on: October 19, 2021, 01:00:35 PM »

Exactly.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #378 on: October 19, 2021, 01:21:26 PM »

What does Villanova look like when Wright retires?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #379 on: October 19, 2021, 01:23:51 PM »

Still in Philadelphia and not Spokane.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #380 on: October 19, 2021, 01:27:42 PM »

Yep.  This can be said about many small to medium sized private schools.   Look at the nose dive we took. What you build with national championship runs or any type of prolonged success becomes part of the DNA of a school.  They may not ever be as good without Few but they will find a way to be Big East level acceptable and with the right hire maybe more.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #381 on: October 19, 2021, 01:33:56 PM »

I think that no matter what they say, Gonzaga likes where they're at - dominating the WCC year in and year out has brought them plenty of notoriety.  I also think that the geographic aspect would be more brutal on them than a lot of folks here are thinking.  Constantly traveling back and forth between Pacific and (mostly) Eastern time zones wouldn't be sustainable over the course of a season. 

And can someone please explain to me why Dayton would be such a bad choice?  I understand that they don't have quite the history of some BE schools, but they've been pretty darn good in recent years, have a really good fan base, and fit just about every metric of the other BE schools.  I don't get it - it feels like some here are just (unrealistically) holding out for a school like Kansas or Notre Dame, and that's just not happening. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #382 on: October 19, 2021, 01:35:31 PM »
I think that no matter what they say, Gonzaga likes where they're at - dominating the WCC year in and year out has brought them plenty of notoriety.  I also think that the geographic aspect would be more brutal on them than a lot of folks here are thinking.  Constantly traveling back and forth between Pacific and (mostly) Eastern time zones wouldn't be sustainable over the course of a season. 

And can someone please explain to me why Dayton would be such a bad choice?  I understand that they don't have quite the history of some BE schools, but they've been pretty darn good in recent years, have a really good fan base, and fit just about every metric of the other BE schools.  I don't get it - it feels like some here are just (unrealistically) holding out for a school like Kansas or Notre Dame, and that's just not happening.

Counter point... it's Dayton
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #383 on: October 19, 2021, 01:39:54 PM »

Fitzgerald made an NCAA tourney and 2 NITs in the span of 3 years in the mid 90s.  Dan Monson made an E8.  Then Few took over and escalated the program further.

And Few isn't 60 yet.  So figure minimum 5-10 years of Few level success, plus potential exposure and money, not to mention the new NLI environment where Gonzaga has become a brand name and got top 5 recruits/lottery picks in multiple years. 

Its not like Few retires and suddenly Gonzaga becomes Canisius.  They just had an assistant become the head coach at Arizona.  They will have myriad options internally and externally.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #384 on: October 19, 2021, 01:42:08 PM »
Fitzgerald made an NCAA tourney and 2 NITs in the span of 3 years in the mid 90s.  Dan Monson made an E8.  Then Few took over and escalated the program further.

And Few isn't 60 yet.  So figure minimum 5-10 years of Few level success, plus potential exposure and money, not to mention the new NLI environment where Gonzaga has become a brand name and got top 5 recruits/lottery picks in multiple years. 

Its not like Few retires and suddenly Gonzaga becomes Canisius.  They just had an assistant become the head coach at Arizona.  They will have myriad options internally and externally.

Plenty of NBA alums when that time comes too

roadwarrior3

• Walk-On
« Reply #385 on: October 19, 2021, 01:51:50 PM »
I agree, Dayton seems like a slam dunk. Been to a few games down at UD Arena and being honest, it's a much rowdier environment and better college basketball atmosphere than what Marquette offers. They have good facilities, passionate fan base and strong recent success so I think it makes sense. Would add fun rivalries to the conference with X and even with Marquette.

Marquette and Dayton were closer rivals back in the Great Midwest days and the only real explanation I have for why a portion of our fan base is so passionate about not adding them comes from some vantage point of: We were rivals, now Marquette is in the better conference, so we're a better program and are better than Dayton aka we won the rivalry. Dayton joining the BE obviously screws up that narrative

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #386 on: October 19, 2021, 01:51:52 PM »

I have no idea what any of this means.

You're overthinking  :P
Goal is National Championship

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #387 on: October 19, 2021, 01:52:45 PM »
I agree, Dayton seems like a slam dunk. Been to a few games down at UD Arena and being honest, it's a much rowdier environment and better college basketball atmosphere than what Marquette offers. They have good facilities, passionate fan base and strong recent success so I think it makes sense. Would add fun rivalries to the conference with X and even with Marquette.

Marquette and Dayton were closer rivals back in the Great Midwest days and the only real explanation I have for why a portion of our fan base is so passionate about not adding them comes from some vantage point of: We were rivals, now Marquette is in the better conference, so we're a better program and are better than Dayton aka we won the rivalry. Dayton joining the BE obviously screws up that narrative

Dayton sucks

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #388 on: October 19, 2021, 01:54:36 PM »
1. Outside UConn and Villanova, Gonzaga has been far more relevant nationally than any other current Big East member. 

2. If Creighton can compete in the Big East, Gonzaga can compete in the Big East, post-Few.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #389 on: October 19, 2021, 01:55:35 PM »
Heard today and this is contrary to most I have heard previously that Saint Louis maybe be joining the Big East. My understanding is Saint Louis has acquired many big donors recently but is there anything to this

No announcement yet but 3 hours ago.
SLU Men’s Basketball tweeted this. Could be just facilities but..... we will see.  Be sure to follow @SLU_Billikens for all of today's updates related to the major announcement regarding the future of Billiken Athletics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dIqMmk-bPY
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 02:00:54 PM by MarquetteMike1977 »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #390 on: October 19, 2021, 01:57:25 PM »

Geography.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #391 on: October 19, 2021, 02:02:50 PM »
SLU Men’s Basketball tweeted this. Could be just facilities but..... we will see.  Be sure to follow @SLU_Billikens for all of today's updates related to the major announcement regarding the future of Billiken Athletics

https://twitter.com/slu_billikens/status/1450471986526830605?s=21

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #392 on: October 19, 2021, 02:06:12 PM »
Counter point... it's Dayton

And they've been to the Elite 8 more recently than MU. 

Heck, they almost won it all in 1967!  (Which, of course, sounds ridiculous - until you realize that many here still act like the Al days are recent history.)

Butler made their way into the Big East with less of an all-time resume (albeit with a genius head coach at the time), and we're not worse off for having them in the league to this day. 

• All American
« Reply #393 on: October 19, 2021, 02:07:42 PM »

It's a new athletic facility.  Man, it took a long time to get to the point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #394 on: October 19, 2021, 02:10:07 PM »

Just announced Just major facilities but facilities that will help SLUs push to join the Big East.

roadwarrior3

• Walk-On
« Reply #395 on: October 19, 2021, 02:25:45 PM »

Heck, they almost won it all in 1967!  (Which, of course, sounds ridiculous - until you realize that many here still act like the Al days are recent history.)

Butler made their way into the Big East with less of an all-time resume (albeit with a genius head coach at the time), and we're not worse off for having them in the league to this day.

They also had a legit National Championship contender in 2020, would've been a 1 seed in the tournament if it weren't for Covid.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #396 on: October 19, 2021, 02:27:37 PM »

Counter point... It's still Dayton. If I can avoid ever going to that crappy town again I will.

Loads of schools have been to an elite 8 since us, 56 to be exact.

A freshman at Dayton from 67 would be 72 now... 

Marquette since Al has almost as much basketball success as Dayton has all time. I'm not pro SLU or anyone but come on Daytons way overrated in terms of bball history
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #397 on: October 19, 2021, 02:39:13 PM »
Counter point... It's still Dayton. If I can avoid ever going to that crappy town again I will.

It's about time to link to this gem once again...

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=33574.msg408366#msg408366

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #398 on: October 19, 2021, 02:45:23 PM »

DU19 ?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #399 on: October 19, 2021, 02:59:57 PM »
Just announced Just major facilities but facilities that will help SLUs push to join the Big East.

It’s a $20 Million, 25k square foot facility for Athletics, that will go next to their basketball arena. Their $5 Million Soccer Building (behind the South goal) is expected to be completed in December 2021. Their $100 Million Basketball Arena (which includes other things) opened in 2008.

feedback