[Today at 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More conference realignment talk  (Read 331972 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: More conference realignment talk
« Reply #325 on: October 18, 2021, 09:21:35 AM »
This is the conference realignment thread.

It’s the same 20% of posters that do the 80% of posting that troll places and things that scare them. Rinse repeat. It must be exhausting to follow me around to troll, because places don’t bother me. But as pointed out, for some it goes back 15 years. For others such as this example, dozens and dozens of posts when I wasn’t even around. The same places and schools will live rent free into the minds of others long after I’m gone.

Other places and other schools don’t bother me for trivial reasons.

I post on the topics in the threads, a wide variety of topics and threads, just as I did this one. Several troll posters stopped by to hijack the thread. That says more about those people than me. And so it goes.

r/selfawarewolves

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #326 on: October 18, 2021, 09:21:51 AM »
Sirs, this is a Wendy's.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #327 on: October 18, 2021, 09:22:52 AM »
Sirs, this is a Wendy's.

I stand by my take Evansville would be a better addition than St. Louis
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #328 on: October 18, 2021, 09:31:11 AM »

fjm

• All American
« Reply #329 on: October 18, 2021, 09:40:33 AM »
WhattheF.gif

This thread is drunk.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #330 on: October 18, 2021, 09:43:51 AM »
You keep projecting and gaslighting. You took part of a post here in this thread, and you kept it going and going.

No Shoot. I was gaslighting you before. That was done on purpose to try to illustrate a point. This is not projecting or gaslighting on my part. It is gaslighting on your part and may also be projecting. You brought this up, no one else. Then we (you, I, and others) kept it going and going. You understand that when you respond to an off topic conversation, you yourself are also off topic. You have the option to just not respond (or not bring up something off topic in the first place) if you don't want to have an off topic conversation.

I wasn’t on the board for a while. When you click on a thread, it takes you to the most recent post. Places don’t bother me for trivial reasons. But apparently one lives rent free on the minds of some others here.

I promise you Shoot, St. Louis does not bother me. Nor does it bother most anyone else here, that's you projecting. The St. Louis posts are almost entirely for your benefit. The same way that Chicos was teased about his love for Tom Crean, or Wades for his defense of Wojo, or PRN for his disdain for Howard, you are teased for your defense of everything the Show Me State has to offer. Can it be mean-spirited sometimes? Yes, and that shouldn't happen. But we are also a community and having inside jokes like that is part of being in a community. Hell, we had a Mbakwe reference in this thread and that reference has to be a teenager by now.

And while places don't bother you, clearly people posting negative things about certain places does. You are the one who was bothered enough by an offhanded joking comment from a month ago to remember it and bring it up in a completely different thread. And sure, while you maybe didn't see it when it was written, you made your triumphant the Cardinals are in the playoffs post over two weeks ago, so if I take your "I was gone for awhile and clicking on the thread took me to the most recent post" defense at face value, that means you still held onto it for over two weeks before bringing it up here. That's a long time for a post that inconsequential to be in your head, rent free as you said.

That's all I got on this. Apologies to anyone who was bothered by that detour. Shoot, feel free to have the last word.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #331 on: October 18, 2021, 09:49:28 AM »
To try and bring this back on topic:

I am sure that both the AD of Gonzaga and Val Ackerman don't think fried ravioli is a delicacy to hang a city identity on. But they may agree that there is a match between the Big East and the Zags.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #332 on: October 18, 2021, 09:54:41 AM »
Memphis or bust. Time for them to pull a UCONN with their football squad and focus on bball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #333 on: October 18, 2021, 10:04:25 AM »
Memphis or bust. Time for them to pull a UCONN with their football squad and focus on bball.

Not happening

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #334 on: October 18, 2021, 10:04:59 AM »
To try and bring this back on topic:

I am sure that both the AD of Gonzaga and Val Ackerman don't think fried ravioli is a delicacy to hang a city identity on. But they may agree that there is a match between the Big East and the Zags.

Couple of questions:

1) IF Gonzaga joins the BE, how are the non revenue sports going to be handled? Will the NCAA finally yield on its unfair rule that only FB can be split off from the other sports or will the Zags and the BE non revenue teams have to travel cross country? My guess is that there would be pressure put on the NCAA to change the rule. I could see the deal being put out there publicly subject to the NCAA changing their rule, thereby making the NCAA the bad guys if they refuse.

2) Other than probably being preoccupied with bringing UCONN into the BE, why was the possibility of Gonzaga joining not been addressed a few years ago?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 10:06:39 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #335 on: October 18, 2021, 10:08:48 AM »
No Shoot. I was gaslighting you before. That was done on purpose to try to illustrate a point. This is not projecting or gaslighting on my part. It is gaslighting on your part and may also be projecting. You brought this up, no one else. Then we (you, I, and others) kept it going and going. You understand that when you respond to an off topic conversation, you yourself are also off topic. You have the option to just not respond (or not bring up something off topic in the first place) if you don't want to have an off topic conversation.

I promise you Shoot, St. Louis does not bother me. Nor does it bother most anyone else here, that's you projecting. The St. Louis posts are almost entirely for your benefit. The same way that Chicos was teased about his love for Tom Crean, or Wades for his defense of Wojo, or PRN for his disdain for Howard, you are teased for your defense of everything the Show Me State has to offer. Can it be mean-spirited sometimes? Yes, and that shouldn't happen. But we are also a community and having inside jokes like that is part of being in a community. Hell, we had a Mbakwe reference in this thread and that reference has to be a teenager by now.

And while places don't bother you, clearly people posting negative things about certain places does. You are the one who was bothered enough by an offhanded joking comment from a month ago to remember it and bring it up in a completely different thread. And sure, while you maybe didn't see it when it was written, you made your triumphant the Cardinals are in the playoffs post over two weeks ago, so if I take your "I was gone for awhile and clicking on the thread took me to the most recent post" defense at face value, that means you still held onto it for over two weeks before bringing it up here. That's a long time for a post that inconsequential to be in your head, rent free as you said.

That's all I got on this. Apologies to anyone who was bothered by that detour. Shoot, feel free to have the last word.

Nah, that isn’t true. I wasn’t even around when you made your post. I just pointed out another poster who has been doing it for 15 years. It’s been around long before I arrived. I post about a variety of topics in a variety of threads.

I post in threads about the topics in the threads. If the same small percentage of people want to either follow me around for my social validation, or from other trolls, or disrupt threads at the expense of others that read them, that’s something to take up with them, or, to take up with yourself in this example. You try to distance yourself from tribal trolling posters, but that’s exactly what you did here, trying to shift blame along the way. It’s why I try to simplify things by saying “Cubs or Brewers.” In you example, it was Brewers.

As I said, people have a choice to either read the topics, read and discuss the topics, or troll. I post about the thread topics. Others can make their own choices.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 10:20:00 AM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #336 on: October 18, 2021, 10:09:19 AM »
Couple of questions:

1) IF Gonzaga joins the BE, how are the non revenue sports going to be handled? Will the NCAA finally yield on its unfair rule that only FB can be split off from the other sports or will the Zags and the BE non revenue teams have to travel cross country? My guess is that there would be pressure put on the NCAA to change the rule. I could see the deal being put out there publicly subject to the NCAA changing their rule, thereby making the NCAA the bad guys if they refuse.

2) Other than probably being preoccupied with bringing UCONN into the BE, why was the possibility of Gonzaga joining not been addressed a few years ago?

Do we know it wasn't addressed?

Maybe it was addressed, and Gonzaga said no at the time. Or maybe not.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #337 on: October 18, 2021, 10:16:37 AM »
Do we know it wasn't addressed?

Maybe it was addressed, and Gonzaga said no at the time. Or maybe not.

Fair point, but there were plenty of rumors (operative word) that Few really wanted to get the Zags into the BE. And today we are speculating that there are active discussions between Val and the Zags. I think speculating is allowed on Scoop. Rumors too.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #338 on: October 18, 2021, 10:17:25 AM »

Not a chance, but I do wonder if the AAC is desperate enough for football schools that they would allowed Memphis to stay as a football only member while moving everything else to the Big East. I doubt it, but it's an interesting thought.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #339 on: October 18, 2021, 10:18:22 AM »
Fair point, but there were plenty of rumors (operative word) that Few really wanted to get the Zags into the BE. And today we are speculating that there are active discussions between Val and the Zags. I think speculating is allowed on Scoop. Rumors too.

I wouldn’t worry about NCAA rules at the moment.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #340 on: October 18, 2021, 10:51:15 AM »
Mountain West looking at expansion . I think this is more of the old Mad Magazine Spy versus Spy to keep the AAC away

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/2021/10/14/mountain-west-conference-discussing-possible-expansion-ncaa-realignment/8457594002/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #341 on: October 18, 2021, 11:19:54 AM »
I stand by my take Evansville would be a better addition than St. Louis

I'm no stan for the Billikens, but seriously? First that Summit League powerhouse Denver, a school in Denver most people in Denver don't know exists (they think the Pios are a minor league hockey team), now MVC kingmaker, the Purple Aces? The only thing UE (a school I was admitted to out of HS) has going for it athletically is, well, their weird mascot doesn't haunt the dreams of young children like the Billiken does.

I get you don't like SLU, but SLU is a candidate that makes more sense than many for A) geography, B) school profile, and C) athletic spending. Travis Ford makes more annually as the SLU head coach than every head coach at Denver combined. I had some friends up for the DU HC job this past off-season and I can confidently say that each of MU's assistants make more than DU's HC. I think there are better candidates than SLU, but if you want to actually contribute to the conversation at leat throw out legit option.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 11:29:30 AM by Billy Hoyle »
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #342 on: October 18, 2021, 11:23:21 AM »
Assuming Gonzaga is a no go, and no other school is dropping out of a football conference, SLU would be the best choice available.

Although I don't think they would be a *good* choice, I don't know what is happening behind the scenes or what someone is telling the conference.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #343 on: October 18, 2021, 11:29:00 AM »
Couple of questions:

1) IF Gonzaga joins the BE, how are the non revenue sports going to be handled? Will the NCAA finally yield on its unfair rule that only FB can be split off from the other sports or will the Zags and the BE non revenue teams have to travel cross country? My guess is that there would be pressure put on the NCAA to change the rule.I could see the deal being put out there publicly subject to the NCAA changing their rule, thereby making the NCAA the bad guys if they refuse.

1 - it was addressed. It couldn't work, both for GU and for other BE teams. Financially and logistically (five to six hour flights with a three hour time loss to 8 of the 11 member schools is a major issue). And that rule you reference isn't for football. Otherwise, how is Denver in the BE for Lacrosse, or SDSU in the Pac-12 for soccer, Kentucky in CUSA for men's soccer, etc. If the primary conference in which a team is a member does not offer a sport then they can join another as an affiliate member.  Sorry, but the public and the media aren't going to give a damn about that rule.  If GU moves conferences it will be to the MWC, not the BE.

BTW, the WCC is #7 in KenPom preseason. The BE is #6.

2 - the only person talking about it was Mark Few, not the President, not the AD. And, Few got the scheduling and financial concessions he wanted from the WCC.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #344 on: October 18, 2021, 11:31:12 AM »
When it comes to pizza and basketball, I want nothing to do with St. Louis.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #345 on: October 18, 2021, 11:32:43 AM »
Couple of questions:

Even if the NCAA didn't have that rule, why would the WCC allow Gonzaga to continue to park its non-basketball sports in their conference?  Why would any conference take the Zags without basketball?  It makes no sense.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #346 on: October 18, 2021, 11:35:53 AM »
Pros for SLU is an excuse to go to Side Project every year. Count me in as a pro SLU fan.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #347 on: October 18, 2021, 12:03:15 PM »
Not sure why the Media would want the Big East to expand, other than a new school creates up to 31 more games of content. If it is Fox that makes sense, cause they would be taking market share from ESPN. If ESPN does not make sense. Media markets do not necessarily matter because the flagship networks are all in every media market.

I believe there will be multiple parties bidding for the renewal of the Big East Basketball contract. With 10 plus years of ratings history , the bids should be in a tight range.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #348 on: October 18, 2021, 01:01:17 PM »
1 - it was addressed. It couldn't work, both for GU and for other BE teams. Financially and logistically (five to six hour flights with a three hour time loss to 8 of the 11 member schools is a major issue). And that rule you reference isn't for football. Otherwise, how is Denver in the BE for Lacrosse, or SDSU in the Pac-12 for soccer, Kentucky in CUSA for men's soccer, etc. If the primary conference in which a team is a member does not offer a sport then they can join another as an affiliate member.  Sorry, but the public and the media aren't going to give a damn about that rule.  If GU moves conferences it will be to the MWC, not the BE.

BTW, the WCC is #7 in KenPom preseason. The BE is #6.

2 - the only person talking about it was Mark Few, not the President, not the AD. And, Few got the scheduling and financial concessions he wanted from the WCC.

The difference between 6 & 7 in KenPom is greater than 1 & 6.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #349 on: October 18, 2021, 01:13:03 PM »
It's Gonzaga and at this point I'm guessing it's 70/30 happening.

My bet is Basketball Only (NCAA rules are made to be broken) and the WCC is made whole by an exit penalty 6-7 times higher than currently required. 

If the Zags don't happen, nothing happens.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback