'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus Climbing The Ladder  (Read 57288 times)

Not A Serious Person

• All American
Re: Markus Climbing The Ladder
« Reply #150 on: February 12, 2019, 10:55:28 PM »
How much did Lazar average his fresh year and who the hell is George Thompson? I'm 22 have mercy

The mods should give you a vacation for this post.

George was the best player in MU history before 1977 and the color announcer with Homer on the radio for many many years.  Look up at the next home game, his jersey (#24) was retired and hanging in the rafters.

Oh wait, you're 22 ... that means you think the dawn of creation began with Wade's triple-double against Kentucky.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:56:59 PM by Rick Majerus' Towel »
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #151 on: February 12, 2019, 10:56:14 PM »
As enjoyable it is to watch Markus, Pete was even better to watch.  Had great range and with his size could score inside and outside.  Coach Maravich let him do what
ever he wanted.  Go on youtube to watch his game was amazing.  He was in the old Milwaukee Classic, Wisky, MU, Florida St. with Dave Cowens, set rebound record for
that event and Pistol. It was one of the best early season events in the country at that time.  Fun times.  George Thompson was the MVP I think.

The first night of the classic was the first time I ever attended a college basketball game(s). It was also when I became a Warrior fan.

My dad wanted to go to see Pistol Pete. And Pete didn't disappoint. We saw Markus hit the shot from 8' beyond the arc tonight. Pete shot regularly from that distance - and beyond. And, along with Ernie DiGregorio, Pete was the best passer I have ever seen.

Funny thing tho'? He wasn't even the best player on the floor that night. Florida State has a soph I had never heard of before (remember this was an early season game and Freshmen couldn't yet play). David Cowens was far and away the best player on the court that night - including George Thompson in the 2nd game.

I learned everything I ever needed to know about playing the game that night from Cowens. Play hard every play. Every rebound belongs to you. Get you position on offense every time down the floor.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2019, 10:57:54 PM »
The mods should give you a vacation for this post.

George was the best player in MU history before 1977 and the color announcer with Homer on the radio for many many years.  Look up at the next home game, his jersey (#24) was retired and hanging in the rafters.

Oh wait, you're 22 ... that means you think the dawn of creation began with Wade's triple-double against Kentucky.
lol guess so..

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #153 on: February 12, 2019, 10:58:26 PM »
Lazar Hayward wasn't a big scorer early on, averaging just 6.6 ppg his freshman season (2006-07). But that was on a team with Dominic James (14.9 ppg), Jerel McNeal (14.7 ppg), Wesley Matthews (12.6 ppg) -- plus experienced role players Dan Fitzgerald (8.1 ppg) and Ousmane Barro (7.4 ppg).

George Thompson is one of the true greats to ever wear a Marquette uniform. He held the career scoring record for more than 40 years. His #24 is hanging in the rafters.
Ty sir

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2019, 11:01:23 PM »
Great one dimensional player who was shutdown tight by The Dream. Remember his father was his college coach.so the green light was always on.

Obviously, you never saw him play. Best ballhandler, Best passer, best shooter (with possible exception of the Pocket Rocket).

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2019, 11:48:02 PM »
George Thompson is one of the true greats to ever wear a Marquette uniform. He held the career scoring record for more than 40 years. His #24 is hanging in the rafters.

Another detail of this, is GT got the scoring record in only 3 years (Frosh weren't eligible to play back then).  Some (old fogies) here look down on Jerel's and Lazar's records because they took 4 years.  Markus eclipsing GT this year will be a big deal.

Edit:
To pour gas on the fire.  It appears George got to 1773 in only 87 games.
https://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/george_thompson

Markus has already played 90 games at Marquette
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/markus-howard-1.html
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 11:56:43 PM by rocky_warrior »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2019, 12:23:22 AM »
Obviously, you never saw him play. Best ballhandler, Best passer, best shooter (with possible exception of the Pocket Rocket).

Yep. He was a great shooter, but his ballhandling and passing were the best ever. Some of his no-look, between the legs and behind the back passes were just unbelievable. He probably could have been the all-time assist leader if he wasn't such an incredible shooter. Shame that his career was cut short by that knee injury.

Anyone who never saw him play really needs to check out some of his highlights on youtube.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #157 on: February 13, 2019, 12:23:41 AM »
Another detail of this, is GT got the scoring record in only 3 years (Frosh weren't eligible to play back then).  Some (old fogies) here look down on Jerel's and Lazar's records because they took 4 years.  Markus eclipsing GT this year will be a big deal.

Edit:

George is the GOAT 🐐

The only one who denies this is TC.

AL’s favorite player and The Godfather of MU Hoops.  We owe it all to him.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2019, 01:20:49 AM »
How much did Lazar average his fresh year and who the hell is George Thompson? I'm 22 have mercy

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lazar+hayward+college+stats

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=George+Thompson+Marquette

Also

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 01:27:42 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #159 on: February 13, 2019, 02:58:52 AM »
George is the GOAT 🐐

The only one who denies this is TC.

AL’s favorite player and The Godfather of MU Hoops.  We owe it all to him.

Terry Rand and Don Kojis are The Godfathers of MU hoops... George Thompson took it to the next level.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #160 on: February 13, 2019, 07:28:52 AM »
Terry Rand and Don Kojis are The Godfathers of MU hoops... George Thompson took it to the next level.

Also, let’s remember Thompson did it as a 6’2 1/2” forward.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #161 on: February 13, 2019, 07:47:16 AM »
There's a pretty good chance Markus is #3 after the Butler game.  Wow.

Yep.  And passing the great George Thompson to be what I regard as the greatest scorer in Marquette history.  Rel's 4 year record won't stand much longer after that.

Edit:  I see we have an ongoing discussion already.  And son (Johnny B), never come on here again and show your youthful ignorance.  And get off my lawn while your at it!   ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:52:31 AM by jsglow »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #162 on: February 13, 2019, 07:50:53 AM »
Thoughts on Markus being to us what Scottie Reynolds is to Nova? Unreal college scorer that helps the program take a step to a new height?
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #163 on: February 13, 2019, 07:54:54 AM »
Thoughts on Markus being to us what Scottie Reynolds is to Nova? Unreal college scorer that helps the program take a step to a new height?

I don't think Markus is going to be around for 7 years (seriously...he was there for what felt like forever).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 08:00:56 AM by JakeBarnes »
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #164 on: February 13, 2019, 07:58:59 AM »
I don't thing Markus is going to be around for 7 year (seriously...he was there for what felt like forever).

People probably feel that way about Markus as well.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2019, 08:09:29 AM »
I don't think Markus is going to be around for 7 years (seriously...he was there for what felt like forever).

Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #166 on: February 13, 2019, 08:12:10 AM »
I'm hoping someday some kid will invite a way to search for information like that at the press of a button.

Pie in the sky, you say?  I guess I'm just a dreamer.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2019, 08:16:36 AM »
People probably feel that way about Markus as well.

I guarantee it.  If he comes back next year, fans of every other team in the conference will say, "Crap...he's still there?  Hasn't he been there for seven years?!"  I'm sure some have been saying it this year.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2019, 08:20:13 AM »
I guarantee it.  If he comes back next year, fans of every other team in the conference will say, "Crap...he's still there?  Hasn't he been there for seven years?!"  I'm sure some have been saying it this year.

And he won't even be 21, or so we'll hear
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #169 on: February 13, 2019, 08:29:04 AM »

That’s who has popped into my head for the Markus NBA talk. Markus is a much better shooter and scorer, but I think Reynolds was a little taller. It always bummed me out that Reynolds didn’t really get much run in the NBA.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #170 on: February 13, 2019, 08:44:10 AM »

Edit:

Another angle, GT not playing as a freshmen allowed him to sit and get acclimated....Markus thrown into the fire as a 17 year old.

Points by GT as a 17 and 18 year old = 0, I believe.  Markus has over 1000 points as 17 and 18 year old.

Of course MH has the huge benefit of the 3 point line. 

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #171 on: February 13, 2019, 08:45:28 AM »
That’s who has popped into my head for the Markus NBA talk. Markus is a much better shooter and scorer, but I think Reynolds was a little taller. It always bummed me out that Reynolds didn’t really get much run in the NBA.

I believe that Reynolds was the first All American not to get drafted.  Kinda surprised that when I looked him up to find out that he's 6-2, always thought he was smaller than that.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2019, 08:56:10 AM »
Also, let’s remember Thompson did it as a 6’2 1/2” forward.

Let’s also remember MH did a lot of this as a 17 and 18 year old.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #173 on: February 13, 2019, 09:17:45 AM »
It really is amazing to have a guy on the team that can go for 36 and our reaction is basically, "yeah...that's Markus...that's just what he does."  He's been above 30 in four of the last five games.  He's been above 30 eight times this year already.  Amazing.

Out of curiosity, I looked back to see how many 30 point games we've had since the 2005-06 season* (the last year ESPN has the data readily available):

2018-19 (so far):  9  - Howard (8); Hauser (1)
2017-18:  13 - Howard (7); Howsey (5); Hauser (1)
2016-17:  1 - Howard
2015-16:  1 - Ellenson
2014-15:  2 - Carlino (1); Wilson (1)
2013-14:  0
2012-13:  1 - Blue
2011-12:  0
2010-11:  1 - Butler
2009-10:  0
2008-09:  2 - McNeil (1); Matthews (1)
2007-08:  1 - McNeil
2006-07:  0
2005-06:  2 - Novak (1); Amoroso (1)

Howard has had 16 in that time frame.  All the others combined had 17.

*I just looked at the high scorer for each game.  If we had any games with multiple 30+ performances (none come to mind), the second player is missing from the list.

Edited:  missed a couple the first time.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 09:30:02 AM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #174 on: February 13, 2019, 09:29:03 AM »
Another angle, GT not playing as a freshmen allowed him to sit and get acclimated....Markus thrown into the fire as a 17 year old.

Points by GT as a 17 and 18 year old = 0, I believe.  Markus has over 1000 points as 17 and 18 year old.

Of course MH has the huge benefit of the 3 point line.

Wow...the biggest Tom Crean stand of all time.  Take a bow.  You're definitely now invited to all the Crean kids' weddings. 

We get it, George was a PITA to a small, select group of people in the 1212 building.   I just wish TC would have had the balls to fire him from radio and unretire his number when Al was still alive.  But that's not Tommy's style. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart